Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663652 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#Team2017 Wins Again!)
« Reply #1525 on: July 23, 2016, 03:07:59 PM »
Also, the first system to get a Player's Choice line was the Super Nintendo.
What was the price of those titles? I remember them still being $40, though I'm not certain. I'm pretty sure they were still more than the $20 or less titles of today, and there is also inflation to consider.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 23, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
$35 is stuck in my mind, though the price may have varied depending on the game since game prices hadn't quite standardized by that point. Star Fox w/ Super FX Chip may have cost more than other games.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 23, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »
I recall $30. I bought Sim City when it went player's choice. I also recall feeling like that was such a steep price for a game that had been out for years. Sim City 2000 was already out for PC, etc.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 24, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
The oldest players choice price I remember is the N64 players choice games which started at $39.99.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 26, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
So according to Eurogamers sources the NX is basically the hybrid console people have talked about for years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

It's a handheld that can be docked to the TV.  If true that would certainly be a ballsy move on Nintendo's part.  I guess they feel that having only one system to develop for will outdo the risk of losing 2 different forms of revenue from handheld and home console.

Of course on the other hand if true this would make Breath of the Wild even bigger then ever.  Being able to play something like that on your TV and then taking it to work or wherever else can be a huge selling point.  Basically a way more successful version of what Sony tried with the PSP/Vita since the NX is just one system so it's easier to advertise.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:13 AM »
So according to Eurogamers sources the NX is basically the hybrid console people have talked about for years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

It's a handheld that can be docked to the TV.  If true that would certainly be a ballsy move on Nintendo's part.  I guess they feel that having only one system to develop for will outdo the risk of losing 2 different forms of revenue from handheld and home console.

Of course on the other hand if true this would make Breath of the Wild even bigger then ever.  Being able to play something like that on your TV and then taking it to work or wherever else can be a huge selling point.  Basically a way more successful version of what Sony tried with the PSP/Vita since the NX is just one system so it's easier to advertise.

Even down to the docking station I called this! I'm not sure I like the X1 chip as it's vastly underpowered compared to XB1/PS4. Maybe Nintendo can work it's magic and get it to almost XB1 levels but even then...well let's see what its got in terms of games.

OH **** WHAT IF IT HAS GPS BUILT IN?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 26, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
Welp, zero 3rd party support confirmed.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 26, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
Welp, zero 3rd party support confirmed.

Silver lining: maybe NX can get Vita ports of Japanese games such as Gal*Gun 2!

Kidding aside, yeah, I'm okay with this. I mean, a Reverse-Wii-U is basically a Nvidia Shield, right? Or almost. It is a huge bummer for those that really wanted another home console and backwards compatibility. (Assuming this latest rumor will all be true.)

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 26, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
Also, can someone explain where the console part of this hybrid is? All this rumor seems to be pointing at is a handheld that can display your games on TV. If this is the NX handheld then yeah, no big deal. But if this is also the home console then I have some serious reservations about this piece of hardware.

Nvidia Tegra deep-dive.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

Right now, [Nintendo] is simply not interested in providing hardware that directly competes with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It has its own ideas on where to take next-gen gaming.

And the compromise there is clear - a relatively lower level of performance compared to the existing current-gen machines. Nvidia's Tegra technology is built with a specific profile in mind: a delicate balance between performance and power efficiency in order to maintain battery life, the life force of mobile gaming.

But just how powerful is the NX relatively? In terms of the capabilities of Tegra X1, consider this: Doom BFG Edition on Xbox 360 and PS3 runs at 720p60 with frame-rate drops. The same game running on the Shield Android TV micro-console, based on X1, hands in a near-flawless 1080p60 presentation. Trine 2 - another 720p30 game on Sony and Microsoft's last-gen consoles - operates at 1080p30 on Tegra X1. Typically speaking, OpenGL games port really well to Tegra X1, while DirectX ports, like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and the recently released Resident Evil 5, aren't so impressive.

There's direct comparisons with Vita and PS360 games. That's not what I want from my home console experience. Not when I may or may not be having to also upgrade my PS4 at the same time. I hope this rumor is crap.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 26, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
Fascinating and juicy rumors!

Keep in mind, nintendo trademarked a supplemental computing device http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/04/nintendos_supplemental_computing_device_patent_is_cleared_for_completion

I could see a deluxe bundle that comes with a 'horsepower' base that will give more juice to the system.

Also, the Tegra isn't a wimpy chimp. Remember it is designed to output to 4k and can run UE4.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 26, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
When I think the hybrid concept I feel the selling point is "it's a console that's also a handheld!"  This rumour sounds more like "it's a handheld that's also a console" and there is a subtle but very crucial difference in that.  No one would think of the Gameboy Player or the PS TV as a "console" and this sounds more like that or how certain models of the PSP had a TV out.

What games is this going to get?  If it's getting PS4/XB1 ports that are indistinguishable from those versions then this is a console.  If it's getting the sort of games the 3DS or Vita get but blown up on a TV screen then it's a handheld.  The marketing and the types of games Nintendo brings early on will have a major impact on how this is seen.  A handheld that connects to a TV is a convenience, not a suitable replacement for a console.  And if it's seen as a handheld then it will probably not sell as well in the West as a well-designed console would since handhelds are losing ground to phones.

The hybrid concept is a console that's also portable or has some way to make at least part of that experience portable, like with scaled down visuals or something like that.  It is not a handheld with a TV out.  One concept sounds like a license to print money and the other sounds like Nintendo quitting the console market.

I think Sony and MS going with these half-step improved consoles really has derailed Nintendo's plan.  If this was XB1 sort of hardware and there was still years to go before the current consoles get replaced this would be a pretty good idea but now it seems a lot like the Wii U where Nintendo catches up to everyone else right before they go to the next step.  XB1 specs NOW is embarrassingly out-of-date.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 26, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »
YAY I LIKE RUMOURS!
But I'll believe it when I see it.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 26, 2016, 04:54:15 PM »
Not ready to believe this as is. I'm still of the belief that NX isn't a simple hybrid, and that there's a console component to it that isn't the docking station. On at least two occasions, AMD practically outed Nintendo as a partner on one of three semi-conductor wins (Project Scorpio was recently revealed as one).

I think there's a place for a handheld that connects to a TV even alongside a full-blown console particularly if they play the same games. I'm skeptical of the detachable controller though. It sounds great on paper, but the reality of it is that the pieces can be left behind, lost, or more easily broken. Detachable controllers complicate the least complicated gaming hardware by adding parts to a self-contained unit.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 26, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
Dang. Like I said a bit ago, I figured they'd blow something up with the NX, and that people were delusional if they thought Nintendo was pumping out a heavy specced PS4 clone. But I really believed the hybrid theory was bunk, given the direct denials. I'm with Adrock, though, in that I suspect there's more to the story here, and that detachable controller pieces on a portable device is probably too awful an idea to be the case.

There is a rumor percolating on Twitter that there's a separate console-only SKU that would more closely match some of the rumors about computing power from earlier in the year, but there's not a whiff of that in the Eurogamer report.

But as for Iansane's point about it being a handheld with a TV out, the unit is supposed to be several times stronger than the WiiU, so it would be capable of running good-looking full 3D games, making this more of a semantics issue than anything. Though I am still of the camp who doesn't see the appeal in playing full 3D console games on the go. But hey, I guess you could never take it out of the house and it would functionally just be off-TV play over again (provided the screen is big enough).

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 26, 2016, 06:48:20 PM »
I'm highly skeptical about this hybrid concept being true. I recognize there are signs that definitely point to this possibility but I just think the components and tech to make a handheld even a bit more powerful than Wii U would be too pricy for Nintendo to consider not to mention I see it going against their handheld philosophy of long lasting battery power. (Although the 3DS was already a sign of this with a much shorter battery life than the DS and GB line.)

I don't see them programming games to run in HD when you've plugged it into the home docking port and it becomes a console and then running at a lower definition if playing on the go. Since we know there are a couple of HD games coming to the NX like Zelda and Project Sonic 2017, it's got to have better graphic capabilities than the Wii U not less. So, to have an HD console you can play on the go as a handheld feels pricy to me when considering Nintendo's history.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:50:26 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 26, 2016, 06:51:50 PM »
Devkits allegedly have X1 chips, if this is true, then it's completely possible that the actual system could have an X2 instead. Having said that, at least the X1 is more powerful than the Wii U, but it doesn't compare to the Xbone or PS4 - other than native 4K resolution. It would need a big boost in VRAM to output games at 4K though...which is also completely within the realm of possibility.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 26, 2016, 08:47:50 PM »
Remember the little screen you could buy and attach to the ps one? Maybe it's a portable in that sense.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »
Digital Foundry's deep dive on the NX rumors.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 27, 2016, 01:37:03 AM »
The question of whether it's a portable that can go home console, or a home console that can go portable, does sound like a weird semantic toss-up to me. I assume the real concern behind the thinking is whether we'll get significant console-style ports from other platforms beyond what Nintendo's gotten in the past. That's got to do more with the controller inputs and porting difficulty, I think.

(As an aside, would we assume that the NX would inherit all the third-party support that the 3DS has received? Because that'd be pretty awesome in my book and at least a START on rehabilitating third-party presence on Nintendo "consoles"!)

One exciting thing is that Nintendo's finally getting off the PowerPC architecture that they've been on since the GC. If true that they're getting on Nvidia's Tegra line, then it's sounding like they're really finally on something designed for modern graphics tech. The Tegra X1 is 4K capable, runs UE4, and is even ostensibly future-proofed enough for Vulkan. Sure the typical thinking for how to get to modern hardware would be to jump to an x86 AMD chipset, but ARM chips are all over the place too, especially in the mobile space that's seeing plenty of activity and competition to drive up performance and adoption and simultaneously drive down price.

One worry that I've been wrestling with in regards to the Tegra X1 talk though is that great as the Tegra chip sounds, it doesn't seem to make it to XBox One power. It's definitely above 360, and above Wii U, and that DOES put it in Nintendo's traditional target power target (Take last gen and multiply by anywhere from 1.2 to 2). However, if the great power console hope of 2+ Tera Flops is to be realized, then what we're talking about here with the eurogamer stuff has got to either be:

1. only the Mobile form of NX, with a Beefier Console NX still hidden from sight, or
2. just the initial dev hardware, with a Beefier Tegra X2 chip to be used in the real thing, or
3. that supplemental computing device talk is true and the dock for this will magically make it beefier, so players who want that experience can pay extra above the base mobile unit to get it

Possibilities 1 or 3 sound more fruitful to me.

Option 4 would be Nintendo's path of least resistance though: The Tegra X1 gets the GC->Wii treatment and is tweaked and overclocked and improved, but not at the same scale that other companies leap up. Taken on its own merits, it will be the most powerful Nintendo hardware created, be capable of amazing visuals, and have modern features, but it would definitely not be your 4K TV showstopper demonstration piece.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 27, 2016, 01:42:10 AM »
Couple more random musings:

I'm definitely gonna have to budget for accessories at launch time for this. An NX sleeve, yes, but also a portable battery pack to ensure this thing has life on the go!

Being random here, but would totally love for Nintendo to do something with cellular networks. 2G is pretty withered tech, and since withered tech is Nintendo's modus operandi, maybe they find a way to use dirt-cheap 2G connectivity to drive asynchronous networked gaming...

...same goes for GPS now that the entire world has been awakened to the power of Pokemon Go.

I saw a mockup someone did of holding what this might look like in Portrait orientation. Is it the return of my beloved DS "Book" mode? AHHH! One of my pet dreams is Nintendo teaming up with Kobo and throwing an E-Reader App on this thing!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:05:09 AM by Kairon »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: July 27, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »
Mad thought:
Hey, maybe both rumor trains are true.
There is a NX Portable that is a Nvidia Tegra machine and a NX Home that is an AMD SoC console. The rumors have been a double blind all along!

And whatever the NX OS and API is, it's some Open GL thing that makes Team Green and Team Red play nice with each other. Ah, that would be such a crazy thing that only Nintendo can make happen.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 27, 2016, 04:08:29 AM »
The rumors have been a double blind all along!

That would be mind blowing.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 27, 2016, 06:27:05 AM »
I imagine the NX will be more like a platform/library/store.

There will be an NX console, and an NX handheld. The handheld is nvidea tegra, the console is essentially a ps4 in Nintendo's clothing. You buy them separately, but the games are compatable with both. The system mainly relies on cartridges, but the home console has a disc slot. The console home console comes in 2 forms backwards compatible and not. The backwards compatible one can play everything from wii u to gamecube. It's $100 more expensive.
The regular console doesn't have a disc slot. Just a small cart slot. It comes with a regular controller, the controller is kinda like the wii u pro controller, but there is something special/new about the shoulder buttons.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 27, 2016, 10:30:54 AM »
No way Nintendo has deals with both Nvidia and AMD.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 27, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
And that would makeno sense. Completely different CPU architecture.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA