Author Topic: Future Safe Words Games.  (Read 10496 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Future Safe Words Games.
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »
Hmmm. It's an interesting concept. The one drawback or potential issue I can think of would be collusion. The player who picks the bomb word could then inform someone else what they chose and that person could use that knowledge to eliminate other players and they work together and control the board to get to the end and face a final 2 scenario with each other. You could take away having a person choose the bomb word but I've always liked having that as a safety / trust factor to show that the host isn't just eliminating players on a whim but someone else has knowledge and can confirm that whatever word is the bomb word that round is legitimate whatever the outcome. By removing the player choosing the word, you eliminate that safeguard although I'm sure you'd be truthful about it. This is pretty low stakes stuff to worry about game fixing.

Obviously, you can make a rule that the bomb word selector can not inform anyone but that collusion could still happen. One of the benefits of the current set-up is that it is the bomb word selector's interest to keep their choice hidden otherwise they will be stuck selecting it at the end. One thing that I'm surprised no one has ever tried and I've wanted to do it but haven't really had the chance before is for the bomb word selector to play mind games with those selecting safe words as to what he's chosen. He could say that choice A is safe, choice B is the bomb word and not say anything about choice C. Is that person telling the truth or lying? Would it make a difference or not in what a player selects? I've never made a rule against it because I see no problem with it. For this type of game, I'd say the bomb word chooser has to be silent. The player should still be included in the list of players one could target at anytime. It would just be that if it does get down to that player in the selection rotation, the only thing left would be that player choosing the remaining name still on the board with the only word remaining which would be the bomb word and eliminating them instead of their self.

I know there are players that just like the game as it is now and trying to select a safe word to save themselves. Now they'd have to wait and hope that someone else does it for them or that they can correctly target someone else on their choice. I don't think it changes the game too much but it is nice to know that currently, when you've made your selection, you know your result pretty soon as to whether you keep going or lose. Now, a player might select first but have to keep waiting all round to see whether they are safe. Yet, that might mean players check in more regularly because of this and could keep the tension higher. I'd be willing to give it a shot even though I do like current format as well. Never know what you might get with a bit of experimentation.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »
The one drawback or potential issue I can think of would be collusion. The player who picks the bomb word could then inform someone else what they chose and that person could use that knowledge to eliminate other players and they work together and control the board to get to the end and face a final 2 scenario with each other.
I didn't even consider that people might try that. I guess I put too much faith in people... probably why I was never very good at Mafia...

I think one thing to further help that not happen would be to not add the standings of this game into the overall rankings. That way, there won't even be meaningless points on the line, making absolutely no reason to try to help anyone win.

It would just be that if it does get down to that player in the selection rotation, the only thing left would be that player choosing the remaining name still on the board with the only word remaining which would be the bomb word and eliminating them instead of their self.
And you don't think said player would be upset to be forced to take the bomb when they weren't the one who got to choose the bomb? That's what I was worried about with doing it that way, but it may still be the best way to handle it.

I'm not looking to completely change the game, I just like to add little twists here and there for the sake of variety. I still want to keep the basic idea of the game intact and don't want to make things too complicated or too much to keep track of.

So I take it from what you said that I should move forward with this idea, even with the potential for abuse? I guess we won't know if it'll work until we try but I think at least most people will follow the rules.

One thing that I'm surprised no one has ever tried and I've wanted to do it but haven't really had the chance before is for the bomb word selector to play mind games with those selecting safe words as to what he's chosen.
I've thought about doing things like this, but I rarely get control of the bomb word and I didn't see a good opportunity to try it out.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
The one drawback or potential issue I can think of would be collusion. The player who picks the bomb word could then inform someone else what they chose and that person could use that knowledge to eliminate other players and they work together and control the board to get to the end and face a final 2 scenario with each other.
I didn't even consider that people might try that. I guess I put too much faith in people... probably why I was never very good at Mafia...

I think one thing to further help that not happen would be to not add the standings of this game into the overall rankings. That way, there won't even be meaningless points on the line, making absolutely no reason to try to help anyone win.

Knowing what is and isn't allowed in the rules and then thinking of creative new ways to win is the best part of any game. It's just the way I think I guess.

It would just be that if it does get down to that player in the selection rotation, the only thing left would be that player choosing the remaining name still on the board with the only word remaining which would be the bomb word and eliminating them instead of their self.
And you don't think said player would be upset to be forced to take the bomb when they weren't the one who got to choose the bomb? That's what I was worried about with doing it that way, but it may still be the best way to handle it.

I don't think it would be a big issue because that player would have had a chance to target another player with the bomb word before it gets down to that selection. Thus, if a player were to end up in that situation, they still would have had a chance to participate and save themselves.

So I take it from what you said that I should move forward with this idea, even with the potential for abuse? I guess we won't know if it'll work until we try but I think at least most people will follow the rules.

Yeah, I don't see anyone objecting to it. They had their chance. Strike while the iron is hot.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »
Knowing what is and isn't allowed in the rules and then thinking of creative new ways to win is the best part of any game. It's just the way I think I guess.
So you're saying that this is the way you're going to play my game? Hm, perhaps I should make you host it instead... :P

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 11:41:39 PM »
Yep. Get your rear in gear Stratos! Why are you stalling Safe Words?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 02:33:05 AM »
I completely forgot that I signed up to host! So, since Pokepal is launching a new mafia when should I shoot to start this?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 03:16:01 AM »
It's okay, I think Khushy knows all about failing to commit to forum games he was going for host.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
I'll wait on Khush's lead before doing any startups or anything, though any unique ideas I had before have long escaped my mind, so I'll probably do a rather vanilla game.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
No lead to follow. Start up a Safe Words game when your ready. We've had Safe Words/Mafia overlap before and there's been no issue. What I'm doing with Mafia should have no bearing on Safe Words. I consider them separate entities. Nothing wrong with vanilla gameplay either. At this point, I'd say it would be fun just to play any Safe Words game.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »
I'll wait on Khush's lead before doing any startups or anything, though any unique ideas I had before have long escaped my mind, so I'll probably do a rather vanilla game.

Alright Stratos. Now the pressure's on. You've seen my "lead." Time to get this going. Failure to host a Safe Words game is a banning. Or I just take over and do it. Both terrifying prospects.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Somebody better host one soon, or I'm going to explode!

...or I guess not explode, as the case may be.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 11:53:24 PM »
Yay! more games for my return? awwww you shouldn't have! :-[ ;)
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2016, 06:03:30 PM »
Hey Stratos. Has "life" gotten in the way of hosting your Safe Words game? Do I need to take over for you?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »
Yes please. Not going to have the free time I thought I would thanks to work matters.
My Game Collection

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
sure
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:46 PM »
Lucario, you were next in line to host a Safe Words game. Do you think you'd be ready to handle one now or do you want to wait for the next game as originally scheduled?

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »
I totally forgot about that, since the ban. nah next one as I'm working on the draft for mafia 70th anniversary now.
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 11:16:28 PM »
Ok then.