Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 695732 times)

Offline King Dedede

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1100 on: June 09, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
Currently I'm playing through Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours, it's been a pretty good time (about 50 hrs into it already). Trying to 1CC the hardest route in Arcade mode at the moment with one of the "vanilla" ships that don't have any of the special mechanics introduced in the game.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 10, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
For anyone who likes old-school gaming, and who are gluttons for punishment, Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP) is awesome.

One nice part is that it works well as a portable because you can save between levels and it's got a generous continue system. That doesn't remove the cheap moments that are a series staple, but makes steady progress much easier.

Really enjoying this.
NNID: ejamer

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 10, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
For anyone who likes old-school gaming, and who are gluttons for punishment, Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP) is awesome.

One nice part is that it works well as a portable because you can save between levels and it's got a generous continue system. That doesn't remove the cheap moments that are a series staple, but makes steady progress much easier.

Really enjoying this.

I love this series the way some people love Mega Man. I hope Capcom's spring investor disclosure regarding utilizing more old IP means that more of the games will be ported to the 3DS. I'd love to play this.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:54:25 PM by rygar »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 14, 2016, 01:43:51 PM »
Now I have never played a GTA game before.  So let's see what all the fuss is about... hmmm, this kind of sucks.  I really wonder if this game is just really dated now and would have impressed me if I played it when it was current.  The cutscenes and story are all very cool, even if they're hard on the eyes these days.  Unfortunately the controls are just really terrible.  It's hard to aim, when I try punching someone I'm just as likely to punch the air next to them.  Ever try playing a 3D Zelda without using Z-targeting?  That's basically how this plays.  I figured the driving would be good but it really doesn't feel right, particularly since I was just playing a driving game.
I remember playing the original GTA III not long after it first came out, maybe it was 2003 I think, and I had the exact same thoughts you're having now. The controls were just so terrible that I just couldn't have fun with the game. I have always felt the popularity of the GTA games (at least from that era) were due to the promise of the huge (at the time) worlds, and somehow it was enough of a draw for people to overlook how terrible was everything else. I'm not one such person however.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 14, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
I feel like E3 this year gives people an idea of what the industry could look like if Nintendo went 3rd party with Nintendo having such a low presence and just focusing on a few games. Which is why, even if future hardware releases were Wii U level sales, I would hope they never stop providing their own hardware because what they do continues to interest me more than anything presented here by Sony or MS.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 14, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »
I have to agree with you. While there are some games on other systems that pique my interest, nothing compels me to choose their games or non-Nintendo consoles over the Nintendo options. Being someone with both limited gaming dollars and time I go straight for the Nintendo goods first and pick up any other stuff far down the road used or clearance priced. If I really want something non-tendo I can usually grab it for PC and enjoy it there.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 14, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
I tried the Doom demo, best FPS I have played in awhile. I will pickup it up on sale sometime.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 18, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »
I feel like E3 this year gives people an idea of what the industry could look like if Nintendo went 3rd party with Nintendo having such a low presence and just focusing on a few games. Which is why, even if future hardware releases were Wii U level sales, I would hope they never stop providing their own hardware because what they do continues to interest me more than anything presented here by Sony or MS.

Thing is, there actually is a lot of variety on the other consoles. Sony & Microsoft just inexplicably choose not to show it at their conferences. It's particularly head-scratching in Sony's case since their Gamescom showings are usually the exact opposite of the type of stuff they show at E3, and typically show a great deal of variety. Hell, they could probably do a whole conference just on the JRPGs that hit the Vita & PS4, but Sony apparently doesn't care.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 18, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »
What the heck? I could have swore I made that post in the E3 2016 thread after Mop it up commented on how disappointing this year's E3 has been. So weird. I really am losing my mind.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 19, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
Resident Evil 7 demo - eh, PT is better, so far. Hopefully there's more to find in it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: June 19, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »
Been playing some Overwatch and...meh. What's here is good, but with only 2 (extremely similar) modes and an abysmal unlock system, I can't recommend what's clearly only 1/4 of a full game. Go play Garden Warfare 2 instead, which is a far better game and has at least 5 times the content of Overwatch at 2/3 the price. It also doesn't have the extreme spawn-camping problem that Overwatch has, not to mention a highlight system that only gives a damn about turret-based heroes.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 20, 2016, 08:33:35 AM »
I started up Twilight Princess HD and I've now played as far into it as I did before I stopped 10 years ago, which wasn't very far. The opening sequence wasn't as painful as I remembered it being, but it was still overly padded.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 20, 2016, 12:50:30 PM »
I just started it yesterday too. Other than the goat herding being bit odd I'm didn't mind the intro too much. It blends the tutorial into the story well enough.

I only ever played it once through on Gamecube so this feels rather fresh to me. Between this and an incomplete Majoras Mask 3D I'll be tided over on the Zelda front for a good while. If I happen to need more Zeld I can always pick up Wind Waker HD, which I never played. That game was also only played once through.

After seeing Breath of the Wild I'm more okay with the 2017 delay, especially with a number of quality Zelda remakes in my to-play list.
My Game Collection

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1113 on: June 20, 2016, 01:18:51 PM »
Twilight Princess HD was so much better if only due to the fact that treasure chests had more than rupees in them, and if you have too many rupees, you didn't have to put them back. But Epona's handling is worse in this version for some bizarre reason.

I'm at 88% in Kirby: Planet Robobot. I did The Arena, the 3D mini-game, and have but one quest to go in Team Kirby Clash. Also have the mode as the other playable character halfway through.

Then there's Chronicles of Teddy on Wii U, which I'm enjoying. I hope to start TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan this week as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 23, 2016, 04:15:30 PM »
Still playing PvZ: Garden Warfare 2, and it's still a great family-oriented shooter. Not too much more to say about it till the upcoming major content update arrives. However, I do think if you enjoyed Splatoon, you should check that game out. While much more of a shooter than Splatoon is, there's a big emphasis on rewarding support play so even if you're not a master gunner, you still feel rewarded for contributing.

I got my backer code for the PS4 version of Mighty No. 9 and...I have to be honest here: while I think the 55 Metacritic is an accurate summation of the game, I can't agree with all the hatred this game has been getting. Yes, the production values are laughably low. Yes, some of the levels are full of some really cheap instant-death traps. Yes, the game does a really bad job of explaining its mechanics if you don't read the continually-updated "tips" section of the game options. However, despite all that...I still kind of like the game. There's a great sense of momentum to stringing together absorption combos and just trying to blitz through the stages, and the addition of boss powers (which were not in the Beta or the Demo) makes a HUGE difference in addition much-needed attack variety. Before I played this game, I played a bit of the MM Legacy Collection to refresh myself on the series (playing MM 4 & 2, if you're curious), and to be frank I see a lot of the cheap design people complain about in MM9 ALSO in those classic games as well. I can't call the game any better than "mediocre" because as decent as the gameplay is, the rest of the game really does drag it all down. However, I don't think it's fair to say that there's no fun to be had blitzing through the levels and trying to improve your score.

By contrast, I also played the Bloodstained demo on my PC, which barely runs even at low settings. My PC's simply too underpowered for it. However, the game looks great, and if you're a post-Symphony 2D Castlevania fan this game is exactly what you expect it to be. Weirdly, though, that's something that kind of bugs me: the enemies look & act exactly as you expect, the UI design is exactly as you'd expect (right down to the font), the music sounds exactly as you'd expect, and the gameplay loop is an exact clone of the handheld CV loop. It's all polished, looks, sounds, and plays exactly as you remember the handheld CVs playing...and that's kind of it. For all its faults, Mighty No. 9 at least tries to be more than just a Mega Man clone. Meanwhile, Bloodstained seems content to merely being an exact clone of CV: Aria of Sorrow/Order of Ecclesia. Is that a bad thing? No. I paid the man to make a Castlevania knock-off, and that's exactly what he did. I guess I forgot just how the stale regurgitation of that formula drove the CV franchise into the ground.

In some ways, it kind of reminds me of watching a Disney Marvel movie: you'll get exactly what you expected, but at the same time you won't see any surprises or any attempt at the director putting their own mark on the experience. You get an exceptionally-packaged, expertly-crafted experience designed to cater to a very specific group of people with very little creativity. Like the CV games Iga made, it just...exists.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:17:26 PM by broodwars »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 23, 2016, 06:10:55 PM »
I'm ok with that description of Bloodstained, and excited to play the game.

It might seem unfair to say there will be no surprises based off a few minutes of a demo that your PC isn't really equipped to handle - but it's probably accurate also.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
I have a Bloodstained demo code that I'll probably give to my brother since I have a six year old Macbook and it wouldn't be powerful enough to run the demo.

I'm also okay with broodwars' description. We haven't had an IGA Castlevania in almost a decade. If Bloodstained sticks close to the formula, that's pretty much all I wanted and the entire reason I pledged to the campaign. I wish there was an NX version with a way to transfer my Kickstarter bonuses.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 23, 2016, 10:43:15 PM »
Make no mistake: the Bloodstained demo is excellent. If you're a 2D Castlevania fan and you were concerned (after the failure of some high-profile Kickstarters) that you were being sold a false bill of goods, you can rest soundly.  I think Shovel Knight changed how I look at these nostalgia-based Kickstarter projects. Shovel Knight is very clearly based on the design of experiences like Duck Tales and Mega Man, but at the same time there are changes to those formulas that give SK its own identity. It is showing a classic game through the prism of modern design sensibilities.

Bloodstained, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have an identity of its own so far. Add the Castlevania license and recycled Rondo of Blood sprites,  and it's the same game as Order of Ecclesia...which was the same game as Portrait of Ruin...which was the same game as Dawn of Sorrow...which was the same game as Aria of Sorrow...etc. It doesn't feel like a modern look at where the 2D Metroid-style adventure game could go next by an artist freed of his corporate shackles. It's just..."another one of those." As "another one of those", it's excellent. It shows in every way that it's made by veteran designers who know exactly how to make that style of experience. I'm just curious if it'll have anything of its own besides "#FucKonami" by the time it releases.

On a side note, I have similar concerns about Yooka-Laylee, which I also backed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:47:40 PM by broodwars »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 24, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »
I'm just curious if it'll have anything of its own besides "#FucKonami" by the time it releases.

Probably not considering everything you described previously is the reason for this game existing.  IGA wanted to make more Metroidvania's but Konami wouldn't allow it so he left to make the exact same game, just without the Castlevania license.  I wouldn't exactly hold it against the game since they were very upfront about it from the beginning.  It's the exact same kind of game he and the fans want and will be as close to the real thing they can make without being sued by Konami.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
I decided to try out the 3d Classics version of Kirby's Adventure on the new 3DS and that 3d effect is very impressive.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 29, 2016, 08:44:11 PM »
Dropped Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate back into my Wii U for some G-ranked missions.  This game is so good.

It really makes me wish that later entries in the series also received console editions - Monster Hunter plays perfectly well on portables, but experiencing the epic battles on a big screen (with big sound) is wonderfully entertaining.  It's also nice that, despite having dumped a couple hundred hours into the game, there are still challenges I've yet to take on.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 01, 2016, 01:29:36 AM »
Dropped Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate back into my Wii U for some G-ranked missions.  This game is so good.

It really makes me wish that later entries in the series also received console editions - Monster Hunter plays perfectly well on portables, but experiencing the epic battles on a big screen (with big sound) is wonderfully entertaining.  It's also nice that, despite having dumped a couple hundred hours into the game, there are still challenges I've yet to take on.

I'm hoping that this is fixed with MH5 going to NX, especially if Nintendo goes with the scale-able cross compatibility route.

If you want I'd live to join you for some hunts some time. I've been itching for some console MH action and I still have a few things I need to finish in 3U.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 01, 2016, 02:18:23 AM »
Playing Kirby's Dream Land 2. Maybe the Dreamland games just work better on a small screen but I'm liking it a lot better than Dream Land 3.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 01, 2016, 03:50:16 AM »
I started playing Zero Time Dilemma tonight on Vita, and an hour or two in...I hate this game. No, really, I DESPISE this game. 999 may have played like **** and was written by someone only vaguely familiar with the concept of human interaction, but at least it had an interesting premise and a solid setup. Virtue's Last Reward may have been up its own ass in terms of its convoluted writing, but at least it had an understandable flow. But Zero Time Dilemma? No, Zero Time Dilemma wants you to go **** yourself, because it's told in random order with NO establishing scene getting the player up to speed on what's happened between Virtue's Last Reward and this game. No, not going to do it. Virtue's Last Reward was bad enough with the parallel timelines nonsense, but I draw the line at a story pieced together by shredding up the script pages and throwing them up in the air. **** this game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 01, 2016, 05:28:28 AM »
Wow. I had always meant to get into that series, but I may just skip it entirely if it ends on such a sour note. Though I guess I could just play the first and pretend there are no sequels, but that never feels right. Is it worth trying the first on its own?
My Game Collection