Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1196088 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3825 on: July 14, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »
AoS upped the stakes too far last season to the point an Avenger should have shown up. AoS can't take on world ending crisis if it insist on staying inside MCU. Admittedly it would have made the final boring, but it makes too much sense not to call one up. You would think they would have the phone number to some of the weaker people.

It does look better than bland S1/2. Looked liked they have a bigger budget and weren't afraid to get a bit bloody/gore as you had people die some pretty horrific deaths leaving behind quite the mess.

It is the same problem PoI had to deal with.
Seeing that you missed this.

Starting to re-watch PoI from the beginning. I have heard people bitching about Jim's acting, but I keep thinking what the hell were they on about. He was really enjoying it from episode 1. From the beginning it is already dropping those holy **** details that are seemingly meaningless until later in the show. Another little detail I find funny is John/Fusco has put on a fair bit of weight over the seasons. I thought I was imagining it but John gets redder as the show moves along.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: July 14, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Mr. Robot Season 2 premiere

This episode was so good, so damn good I literally rewatched it after it was done.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: July 14, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »
Mr. Robot Season 2 premiere

This episode was so good, so damn good I literally rewatched it after it was done.

The entire 2 parter?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: July 15, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
Yup.

I had a theory as soon as it ended and I rewatched elliots scenes.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: July 15, 2016, 11:32:35 PM »
And did your theory find support on a rewatch?

And if so, what was the theory?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: July 16, 2016, 03:09:41 AM »
Stranger Things on Netflix is a pretty dang good.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: July 16, 2016, 03:31:18 AM »
Stranger Things on Netflix is a pretty dang good.

Just finished Marco Polo S2

just started Stranger Things ep1

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: July 16, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
I really want to watch Marco Polo, but I I've got too many other shows to watch still. Almost done with AoS.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: July 16, 2016, 02:11:35 PM »

Theory is that Elliot is in a mental institution or prison. The last episode of S1 ended with feds knocking at his door, but yet he's free and it goes unexplained. Yet, if you watch what he does every day, it seems like the life of someone incarcerated. He has a friend he eats meals with every day. His mother only wakes him up and tells him to go to sleep. He watches basketball (and the players suck). Every door he opens sounds like its made of metal. The phone he uses is very prison like. And he goes to a support group.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: July 16, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »

Theory is that Elliot is in a mental institution or prison. The last episode of S1 ended with feds knocking at his door, but yet he's free and it goes unexplained. Yet, if you watch what he does every day, it seems like the life of someone incarcerated. He has a friend he eats meals with every day. His mother only wakes him up and tells him to go to sleep. He watches basketball (and the players suck). Every door he opens sounds like its made of metal. The phone he uses is very prison like. And he goes to a support group.

Very interesting.... I'm gonna look out for clues that may support that in the upcoming eps.
would also explain why he is living the analog life. Because he doesn't actually have access to any computers inside whatever "rehab" program he is currently in. So everything he is doing is fabricated to keep himself believing that it's his choice and he is not living in a 10x10 padded room for most of his days.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: July 17, 2016, 04:58:24 AM »
Stranger things is indeed amazing. It's does a lot of what Super 8 tried to do but it does it better. It's Steven Spielberg meets Stephen King, with some John Carpenter thrown in. Gets the style of the early 80s pitch perfect.

The creature is some sort of Dungeon and Dragons/Lovecraftian creature, but you can believe it as an alien too. Matthew Modine is super creepy as 'Papa' and the way he views the carnage with mild curiousity is very convincing as a sociopathic doctor

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: July 17, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »
Stranger things is indeed amazing. It's does a lot of what Super 8 tried to do but it does it better. It's Steven Spielberg meets Stephen King, with some John Carpenter thrown in. Gets the style of the early 80s pitch perfect.

The creature is some sort of Dungeon and Dragons/Lovecraftian creature, but you can believe it as an alien too. Matthew Modine is super creepy as 'Papa' and the way he views the carnage with mild curiousity is very convincing as a sociopathic doctor

and all the kid actors were really good. I practically watched all 8eps of this in 1 day.
Couldn't recommend it any higher to someone that appreciates any of the bolded description above.

I think a mash-up description of this is if Speilberg directed the Goonies in a John Carpenter Horror movie written by Stephen King all set back in the 80's
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:45:43 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: July 17, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »
Queen of the South

anyone heard of this? New show on USA.
currently 4eps out, and came recommended to me by someone at work. So I checked it out.
So far i really like it.

Oh, you want to know what it's about... sure.

It based on a true story about a woman who is the head of a Mexican Drug Cartel, but it starts off from her beginning hustling in the streets of Mexico before getting a taste of "Dat Good Life" by being a high ranking drug runners GF, before it all goes to ****. Then she has to find a way to stay alive long enough to eventually become The Queen of the South as we see her in the beginning of the show.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: July 19, 2016, 03:35:46 AM »
I'm watching Preacher on Amazon (it's not on TV over here!). I quite like its style but i'm not sure what it's building up to.

Ruth Negga and Dominic Cooper both have natural charm to them that make them really watchable.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
Finished watching Shannara Chronicles on Netflix. I loved the original books and enjoyed the show for the most part. I just wish MTV hadn't been the publisher because a few of the creative choices just felt too cheesy (why is a pop song playing during the height of the finale?)

I have hopes it can improve in S2 but it looks like they will be going off book and "extending" the story. S1 was a retelling of Elfstones of Shannara, but they finished that book and left plot holes open for S2. The next book takes place a generation or so later so they may drag the current plots out a bit.

But the show does succeed in making itself very distinct from other epic fantasy such as Tolkien, which is good for the show. Smart of them to skip the first book (Sword of Shannara) as that one had a few too many parallels to Lord of the Rings and people would have been bored with it. Author Terry Brooks really brought the world into its own place in book 2/3 and the show is capitalizing on it.

The show is also refreshing in its bright colors instead of the drab scenery many other fantasy stories fall into. Feels more imaginative.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: August 08, 2016, 03:32:51 AM »
Vice Principals - This is our home now

new comedy on HBO starring Walton Goggins and Danny McBride.
pretty funny and very entertaining.
It's about 2 vice principals gunning for that Head Principal job at their local HS.
very worth the watch so far. I think it was ep5 that aired tonight.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: August 08, 2016, 04:01:39 AM »
Do yourself a favor and watch The Night Of. I was hooked after half of the first episode.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: August 09, 2016, 12:19:12 AM »
Do yourself a favor and watch The Night Of. I was hooked after half of the first episode.

On your recommendation alone, I'm going in blind on this one.
getting eps 1-4, and see that ep5 came on tonight.

I'll let you know what I think of the 1st ep whenever I get to it, and then again when I'm all caught up (assuming I get into it of course)

edit: One question though.... How the **** is James Gondolphini Executive Producer on this show?
was he working on this before he died or something?

edit2:
apparently Tony Soprano is the one that started teh project and got as far as a pilot before he passed away.

1st episode was good though. Not what I was expecting, as I was expecting another comedy, and it didn't take too long, but I realized that this wasn't that at all. I was skeptical at the opening credits TBH, but I wasn't sure what you were recommending me, and didn't bother to look up any details ahead of time.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:26:29 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: August 13, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »
The Get Down

ooops, I finished part I (first 6 of 12 eps*) in 1 sitting. I really didn't expect to like this show as much as I did, considering the weird scene edits that were really prevalent in the first episode or 2 where it went from a Netflix produced show, to actual random clips from the 70's, to some soap opera looking filter, and I think there was even a low budget green screen scene in car that was really really obvious, like something out of a Grindhouse feature.

This show is part musical drama (like Empire) using mostly hip hop and disco music, with bits of "Wu-Tang" martial arts mysticism, taking place on the streets of The Bronx, NY back in the mid-late 70's, starring a group of kids trying to find their musical expression during the time period of just before disco was phased out and right as Hip Hop was being born.

oh and Jaden Smith.... LOL. what a fucking weirdo. Is he playing himself in this? I think his character is on a natural acid trip for most of the movie. But he plays it well enough in the context of the show. Which is highly entertaining, as anytime you think the story might start to drag, there is usually a musical number of some sort to pick things up and push things forward.

So I rate this as very entertaining  and worth the watch.
Just give the first ep a chance

*Part II is released in 2017
edit: I finished Part I and wrote this post at 3:30am... not sure how why it didn't post last night.
I must have fell asleep before clicking the button.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:06:58 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: August 13, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
Netflix has done such a great job so far I'll probably try anything they put out themselves so long as Adam Sandler plays no part in it. I'll probably check out Get Down once the full season is available.

I am worried about an S2 for Stranger Things. Yes, they set plenty up for future events, but I'm just worried that they will lose the flavor of the show. Everyone in the "group" is aware of what went down and I liked that separation between the groups as they each stumbled around not aware the others were too (adult, teen, and kid groups). I am worried that they will try to repeat that pattern and I worry it could fall into the old trope of no one believing the kids when it happens again. I like the classic feel of the film and how the plot unfolded, but I hope they keep away from the negative tropes of that era.
My Game Collection

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: August 13, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »
I was hoping Stranger Things Season 2 would be completely different. I'd like to know more about the Upside Down and what happened to...you know who...but those questions I can leave up to my imagination. They should create another world and let me feast on that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: August 13, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »
i saw someone point out that the final D&D game they played mirrored the end the show.

The campaign was only ten hours? (The season was about 10 hours) What happened to the Prince? (What happened to Will?) And the Princess? (Eleven) and what about the flower in the cave? (The Egg inside the Upside Down.)

and it also appears that they just released the Soundtrack for the show yesterday.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:29:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: August 15, 2016, 11:45:13 PM »
I'm bumping this because just like Stranger Things, this one deserves a watch.
I really think some of you might like a fantastical fairytale version of the history of Hip Hop.

This covers the tail end of Disco, the rise of the DJ and Hip Hop culture w/ a Wu-Tang like mysticism around it. It's part musical, part coming of age teen drama, and part historically influenced by creating "larger than life" versions of real DJ's from the era, all while being narrated by Nas as he raps the setup for each episode.

I know my man Stogi would be all for this. But all of you, if even slightly interested, should at least check out the 1st episode. This one is a little unorthodox for your typical Netflix show, but it's good.
1 more on the list of winners from Netflix.

I haven't seen everything Netflix has made, as it's tons of stuff now, and kinda hard to keep up, but most of what I have watched I have liked. The Get Down is one of the good ones.

and the soundtrack dropped as well:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/get-down-original-soundtrack/id1140679908

The Get Down

ooops, I finished part I (first 6 of 12 eps*) in 1 sitting. I really didn't expect to like this show as much as I did, considering the weird scene edits that were really prevalent in the first episode or 2 where it went from a Netflix produced show, to actual random clips from the 70's, to some soap opera looking filter, and I think there was even a low budget green screen scene in car that was really really obvious, like something out of a Grindhouse feature.

This show is part musical drama (like Empire) using mostly hip hop and disco music, with bits of "Wu-Tang" martial arts mysticism, taking place on the streets of The Bronx, NY back in the mid-late 70's, starring a group of kids trying to find their musical expression during the time period of just before disco was phased out and right as Hip Hop was being born.

oh and Jaden Smith.... LOL. what a fucking weirdo. Is he playing himself in this? I think his character is on a natural acid trip for most of the movie. But he plays it well enough in the context of the show. Which is highly entertaining, as anytime you think the story might start to drag, there is usually a musical number of some sort to pick things up and push things forward.

So I rate this as very entertaining  and worth the watch.
Just give the first ep a chance

*Part II is released in 2017
edit: I finished Part I and wrote this post at 3:30am... not sure how why it didn't post last night.
I must have fell asleep before clicking the button.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:47:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3849 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
Wow stranger things...
Telekinetic powers for the win.
Made you look ****.