Poll

Which of these Wii U eShop titles would you recommend?

Mutant Mudds Deluxe
Star Wars Pinball
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party
Pokemon Rumble U
Spot the Differences: Party!
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Mighty Switch Force! 2
Toki Tori
Edge
Rush
Knytt Underground
Dr. Luigi

Author Topic: Best of the Wii U eShop (Round 2 - The Second Half of 2013)  (Read 1890 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Best of the Wii U eShop (Round 2 - The Second Half of 2013)
« on: November 28, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
Background
The Wii U e-shop will only be open for a limited time so I think it is worth looking at the games while there is still time to buy them. I will be going through the list of eShop games chronologically by release date using Nintendo's Game Store site. I will be skipping over Virtual Console releases for now, but I will cover them at the end. I am also skipping games that were released on disc, unless that disc is not available or prohibitively expensive.
Comments
The main purpose here is to see what you would recommend to others. Consider questions like: Is the game great? Does it make good use of the Game pad? Is the Wii U the best way to play it? Is it available on Switch or 3DS?
I also welcome any corrections to the information I found when compiling the list. The information here is for the US so I also welcome comments about differences in other regions.
Round 2 - The Second Half of 2013
This second set of games encompasses the interval from the launch of the Virtual Console in June 2013 to the end of the calendar year. The following twelve titles are up for discussion with info in the following format:
Title (Developer/Publisher, price, demo availability, availability on other consoles, Metacritic score, Metacritic Rank on Wii U, NWR review score [link to review])
  • Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Atooi, $9.99, switch, 3DS, 84, 33, 9.5 NWR review)
  • Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios, $9.99, switch, 3DS, 83, 37,9 NWR Review)
  • Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (Redgrim/KnapNok, $11.99, demo, Wii U exclusive, 75, 99, 8 NWR Review)
  • Pokemon Rumble U (Ambrella/Nintendo, $17.99, Wii U exclusive, 49, 173, 5 NWR Review)
  • Spot The Differences: Party! (Sanuk, $5.00, switch, 3 NWR Review)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Capcom, $14.99, PS3/X360, 77, 82, 8 NWR Review)
  • Mighty Switch Force! 2 (WayForward, $5.99, switch, 3DS, 74)
  • Toki Tori (Two Tribes, $1.99, switch, 3DS)
  • Edge (Two Tribes, $1.99, 3DS, PSP, 79, 65, 8 NWR Review)
  • Rush (Two Tribes, $1.99, Wii U console exclusive, 77, 79)
  • Knytt Underground (Nifflas'/Undefined, $6.99, PS3, Vita, 76, 85, 8 NWR Review)
  • Dr. Luigi (Nintendo, $14.99, Wii U exclusive, 65, 142)
Highlights
This round of games has a couple of Wii U exclusives published by Nintendo (Dr. Luigi and Pokemon Rumble U), though neither reviewed very well. Two tribes has a trio of games, one of which is only on Wii U, PC, and mobile. The D&D game and Knytt underground are available on other consoles but not in the eight generation. The best reviewed game of the bunch is Mutant Mudds Deluxe which is the 33rd best Wii U game according to Metacritic. The cheapest options are the Two Tribes releases at $1.99. However Mr. Bungle's pick of the week has to be Spin The Bottle: Bumpie's Party. It has a demo, reviewed well, and is exclusive to the Wii U. In fact, it still has a functional promo site http://spinthebottlethegame.com/

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the Wii U eShop (Round 2 - The Second Half of 2013)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:46:47 PM »
Curious to hear some impressions from folks on these. I don't really see any obvious winners in this batch, just a few C an B grade games.

Dr. Luigi is rad (because Dr. Mario is rad) but it felt rather overpriced for something with like 2 or 3 songs and one new gimmick. I always expected Nintendo to make more eShop games themselves, but it was mostly external studios who made this, Star Fox Guard, and Mario vs. DK Tipping Stars. Don't remember who made NES Remix 1 & 2.

EDGE and RUSH are both fun games, the first is the easier of the two, and closer to a platformer, while RUSH is mostly a puzzle game.
Also played that Star Wars Pinball game and it's mostly the same as Zen Pinball 2, but with a clearer business model. I've never really liked Star Wars though so the license was a turn-off for me. But the tables included are good at least. Remember it crashing a few times though.

That Bumpie Party game looks kinda neat, but the name makes it sound like shovelware.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the Wii U eShop (Round 2 - The Second Half of 2013)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »
Mutant Mudds Deluxe and Toki Tori are both good, but they're both ports from other systems. Mutant Mudds was originally on 3DS, and the extra levels this version added got patched into that version too. Toki Tori was on WiiWare, and I believe the Game Boy Color before that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent