Author Topic: Ode to Suda51  (Read 3105 times)

Offline NWR_Josh

• The 23rd Buchan
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Ode to Suda51
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »

Oh Suda. My Suda51. How can I tell you how much I love thee? Let me count the ways. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/32910

Goichi Suda, not only have you become synonymous with just plain awesome games, your name has become one of the greatest and longest-standing puns for an adoring gaming population. (For those who don’t know: his name, “Goichi,” can be broken down into the Japanese “go” (five) and “ichi” (one). Hence, Suda51.) 

Why would I devote time from my amazingly busy and important schedule to write you an ode? Oh, I don’t know. Maybe because your games have made such huge impacts not only on my life, but in the gaming community as a whole. 

Just recently I beat Lollipop Chainsaw after a friend of mine recommended I pick it up with the GameStop gift card my Reddit Secret Santa sent me. I walked away from it pretty pleased. The game had a very different premise and main character from the other games Suda has overseen, but it still had that same attitude and feel I’ve become accustomed to. Just like with No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, I found my large, phallic weapon of destruction ripping through hordes of baddies, all in anticipation of the big boss fights that would soon follow.

Anything Suda51 gets involved with seems to call out to me. Whenever I hear about a new project he’s involved in, my ears perk up and I take notice. I’ve been meaning to get Liberation Maiden and Shadows on the Damned for a while and now that I’ve put Lollipop Chainsaw under my belt I think I might be able to once some funds come along.  

But back to the the Suda of it all. This man creates these absurd, comical, and almost satirical worlds with classic gaming throwbacks galore. Whether it’s Lollipop Chainsaw’s levels set inside arcade games or the 8-bit mini-games in NMH2, there’s always a bit of classic mayhem among all the beautiful modern mayhem that fills the screen. And when I’m facing any boss in a Suda51 game, there are TONS of mayhem. Bosses each have a different feel and personality that helps make them memorable. Honestly, I could name all 10 bosses in the first No More Heroes, and probably most of those in the sequel because that’s how good this guy is at creating characters. Even if you’re just going to tear through them in the next 10 minutes, that’s no excuse for not getting to know them. 

I know, I know, I’ve been ranting about my love for a man who is unaware of my existence. But isn’t that what most odes are? 

“Suda51, you have jumped much higher 

than a grasshopper racing towards its mate. 

Your influence will continue to spread like a fire

giving your name increasing weight. 

And although you and I may never meet

I do have but one request. 

If you accept, I promise to be discreet...

Would you please sign my chest?”

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Ode to Suda51
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
...ok.

My history with Suda 51 is conflicted. I thought Killer 7, while stylish, was one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune to play. No More Heroes 1 & 2 on the other hand were great fun (issues notwithstanding). Shadows of the Damned was just ok.

He's definitely one of the more interesting auteurs to come out of Japan in recent years, but he has yet to make a truely great game in my opinion. I do, however, believe that he has the potential to make one.
Gouge away.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
His work is imaginative, memorable, and unique. Flawed, yes. That's part of the charm isn't it? It embodies him; Suda 51 doesn't give a ****.  ;D

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
This isn't Karl.

Offline NWR_Josh

• The 23rd Buchan
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
Nope. This is Josh. And while I do agree that his games do have flaws (as most games do) I must say that I still love them and will replay the crap out of them time and time again. Because even if they aren't perfect, they'll put a smile on my face any day of the week.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
His work is imaginative, memorable, and unique. Flawed, yes. That's part of the charm isn't it? It embodies him; Suda 51 doesn't give a ****.  ;D

Punk Rocker of game development. That's why I respect him.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:28:26 PM »
And just like a rocker, he abuses everyone around him and does as little work as possible. People who have worked for him have said he would barely actually be at work on the games he gets credit for, and not do much of the work when he was there, he is a jerk, and that one year he gave his employees hotel soap as Christmas gifts.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:21:09 AM »
And just like a rocker, he abuses everyone around him and does as little work as possible. People who have worked for him have said he would barely actually be at work on the games he gets credit for, and not do much of the work when he was there, he is a jerk, and that one year he gave his employees hotel soap as Christmas gifts.

Maybe the soap was his way of saying "hey I know I worked you like a slave driver, so here, enjoy and be fresh"

two sides to every story man.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
The best parts of Shadows of the Damned were the interstitial fairy tales your penis-revolver would read to you.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Austin Clark

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
Shadows of the Damned was my favorite game of his.  I platinumed it and everything.  Something about it just clicked for me.  No More Heroes was great.  I've definitely gotten to the point where anything attached to Suda or Grasshopper I'm immediately interested in.  Even the shitty stuff like Diabolical Pitch.... :/ haha but in the end, I'm just glad the industry has games like his.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »
I don't think I've played any of those games, but I have the No More Heroes games so I will someday.