Author Topic: The Great Pre-Wii U Backlog Saga  (Read 26262 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Pre-Wii U Backlog Saga
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
I'll take HD upgrades of some games, especially if they are in collections.  I'm a sucker for those HD collections on the PS3.  I almost bought the Splinter Cell Trilogy and I'm not an FPS gamer.  I did buy the POP Trilogy, the two GOW collections, the ICO/Shadow of Colossus collection (twice by accident), the Tomb Raider trilogy (had already bought the PS3 Tomb Raider before), played through the majority of the Sly Cooper Trilogy and plan on getting the Jak as Ratchet trilogies as well.  If they rereleased some Wii games on the WiiU, that may be enough for me to get the system.

In regards to my backlog, it keeps growing.  I've bought more games this year than I've played in the last 3 years.  I don't know if I can do the great backlog saga.  I'd have to first plug in my Wii. :)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
Amazing how there are so many games to play while some have spent the past 5 years wondering where the Wii games were?

I guess it's true that, unlike fresh produce, good game experiences don't expire after 2 months ... as much as Activision and Capcom might wish us to think so =)

My remaining (unopened) backlog:
Mini-Ninjas
DBZ something something 3 (gift (does look great though))
Dragon Ball Origins

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
i cleared off my wii backlog earlier on this year, but i tend to do backlogs differently than everyone else on this site/forum it looks like. My backlogs are more like bucket lists and i only buy a new game when i beat the one i'm playing.

However i've made a recent exception to this rule because of the newest Humble Indie budle, then with the steam summer sale I bought Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Trine 2 and Dear Ester. So I've accidently started an Indie Game backlog haha

You can check out my backlog here if you're interested
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:45:09 PM by Lithium »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
If a gamer doesn't finish all of his/her backlog before he/she dies then should that backlog be buried with them so they can resume playing it in the after life?
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
Mini-Ninjas

Mini Ninjas is very good. You're in for a treat.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
If a gamer doesn't finish all of his/her backlog before he/she dies then should that backlog be buried with them so they can resume playing it in the after life?
   Like a big ass gaming sarcophagus? Dude!  ;D

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
You guys could all give Jon a run for his money. This feature makes me feel pretty good about my backlog, which is less than 5 physical games. It's a couple dozen deep on digital platforms, but that includes the ongoing Steam sale, and I'm making constant progress on that one too.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
According to my Backloggery, ~75% of my games remain unfinished (this is across all platforms) >_>
DS: 47 unfinished
3DS: 3 unfinished
Wii: 30 unfinished

I have three jobs right now so its hard to squeeze in gaming - but I have also been too busy to be shopping!

Like many have said, there are some games I don't see myself wanting to go back to because I either am bad at them, or don't like them. It would be great if I could bring that percentage down to at least 50% though!

This is a fun article. Good luck to all that participate :D

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
It feels good to know I'm not alone in this.
And without even realizing this feature existed, I finally started yesterday one of the many untouched games that have piled up around here: Enslaved. It's pretty good so far...  not the hugest fan of Unreal Engine post-apocalyptic adventure stuff, but hot damn that opening airplane sequence is impressive. I even wrote into RFN awhile back and they were so kind as to help me with my little problem. Among the more blatant leftovers:

(360) Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Fallout 3, Eternal Sonata
(Wii)  Resident Evil 4, Zack & Wiki, Fragile Dreams
(DS)  Final Fantasy IV, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Hotel Dusk

And those are just the unplayed ones. I hardly count the "unfinished" games, as long as I spent enough time with them to feel like I got my money's worth. The 'Log will never be empty, but the advice to "not buy new games" is sound and healthy. I'm treating downloadable games as little snacks I can still buy and indulge in, as long as I don't buy new retail games. Doesn't make much sense, I realize, but a man needs his vices.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
Note: Wii games off the top of my head that I do not yet own but plan to buy and I guess immediately go on the backlog ...

-Fragile Dreams
-Sin & Punishment 2
-The Last Story (pre-ordered)
-Pandora's Tower (import if need be)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
Hrm. My backlog... I know I won't be able to complete all of these come Wii U time, but I'll try.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »
Looks like the website has a new cat. Does it have a name?

Now that I have access to a Wii or more precisely a Wii equivalent, I have the entire Wii library as a back log. I have to say that the Wii wasn't very good when it came to fully featured games. I am sort of glad I didn't buy a Wii since it would have meant the times between games would have been much greater than the Gamecube would have had and far fewer.

That said I would not have enjoyed PS360 either due to the complete lack of imagination those consoles generally offered. Shooter that, shooter this, brown here, grey here. In the end it was a good choice to go PC/Mac and a Nintendo Handheld.

Currently playing through Xenoblade Chronicles in HD and holy **** this is something special. The combat is a bit fast initially before you get use to it. What is really impressive is that they incorporate what normally cutscene powers into actual game play. Graphically excellent even without HD textures. The voice acting is unique, it's like they took a random casting call off the streets and factories of London. It works because it's never sounds bland or generic. A more professional group could emote more, but few have this much character inherent in them.

In most respects it's a single player MMO, but what it lacks in multiplayer, it greatly adds to it. Unlike an MMO like WOW is that it offers a proper connection to the player. WOW tries this with pages and pages of flavor text, but in the end it's kill a dozen of this, farm that and come back to me and this is mandatory if you what to level up at a respectable speed. The quest structure in XC lacks that aggravation by reducing the kill count, allowing you to collect things before someone asks for them and most importantly for most quests there is no need to return to the quest giver and they don't badger with an A4 sheet of meaningless text.

Another inescapable fact is that nothing in WOW ever changes due to your actions, the moment you finish something, it resets. Since there is no PVP, there is no need to balance for it allowing increasingly outlandish, creative effects and combat. WOW by the square meter is probably larger, but it completely fails to convey that scale outside of travel time which is not a good thing and the world is completely uninteresting. You will know what I mean when I say "The first visit to Bionis Leg". This is just a fraction of the comparisons one can make.

To sum up the comparison in one sentence. "WOW is work, Xenoblade Chronicles is a game".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 02:02:57 AM »
Both Viewtiful Joe and Little King's Story are on my shame pile too.

In the case of Viewtiful Joe, I've restarted playing the game on at least 3 occasions over the years but always end up stalling. Not that the game isn't good, but I never really gelled with the combat (In other words I was terrible at the game) and my attempts to complete it always seem to end with me playing something else.

Little King's Story on the other hand was unfortunately purchased a few short months after I had played NPC Pikmin 2, which was itself released only 2 months after NPC Pikmin. Little King's Story was charming, funny and, well, fun. The lack of any pointer controls, however, and the strain this put on some of the later boss battles in the game, coupled with the fact that I had just played two quite similar games which were in my opinion better, ultimately led me to put the game down. I really would like to revisit the game though.

Gouge away.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 02:33:40 AM »
Looks like the website has a new cat. Does it have a name?

Cat's name is Iggy, but I dare not ever try to supplant Louie as the resident site cat. He will continue to pop up in any unboxing or photo/video content I do, though. :)

And I really need to get back into Xenoblade...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 02:38:05 AM »
Cat's name is Iggy, but I dare not ever try to supplant Louie as the resident site cat. He will continue to pop up in any unboxing or photo/video content I do, though. :)
ISWYDT
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
Louie hasn't shown up for the obvious reason for a long time, it's safe to have a new cat on the block to carry the tradition. Besides, this is the internet, cats are mandatory.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Vrgin X

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
My backlog of Wii games is totalling 50 and goes back to 2008.
Looks like I'll be playing most of those on Wii U.
(Playing most of my DS backlog, also at 50 games, on 3DS.)
Vrgin X 4425-1527-9290

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
The only thing this thread has taught me is that the forum posters here are completely loaded.

The majority of my backlog is from Steam sales where I paid an average of $5/game for. 

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
"In the case of Viewtiful Joe, I've restarted playing the game on at least 3 occasions over the years but always end up stalling"  Ditto, if fact I think I have three VJ games and haven't beaten one of them :(.  Always get 50% through them before another RPG grabs my attention.

Think I'll finish up Xenoblade this weekend though.  Only have 10 hours in but I plan on putting 20+ more hours in the next few days.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »
Think I'll finish up Xenoblade this weekend though.  Only have 10 hours in but I plan on putting 20+ more hours in the next few days.

ahahaha

oh wow
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
"In the case of Viewtiful Joe, I've restarted playing the game on at least 3 occasions over the years but always end up stalling"  Ditto, if fact I think I have three VJ games and haven't beaten one of them :( .  Always get 50% through them before another RPG grabs my attention.

To be honest I'm kind of relieved that I'm not the only one, lol.

I've spoken to a few Treasure fans who dislike Sin & Punishment 2. I imagine they feel the same exasperation about that game that I do about Vietiful Joe. Every fibre of my being tells me that I should enjoy it but I just can't. It's...weird.
Gouge away.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline evanbower

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »
"In the case of Viewtiful Joe, I've restarted playing the game on at least 3 occasions over the years but always end up stalling"  Ditto, if fact I think I have three VJ games and haven't beaten one of them :( .  Always get 50% through them before another RPG grabs my attention.

Oh man. Just know going into it that even by JRPG standards, Xenoblade is a long, lonnng game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 04:22:03 AM »
I just spent way too much time getting everything I have into Backloggery. Looking at the numbers, I'm just stunned. I wasn't really thinking about it in terms of the numbers, but it's hard not to see it that way on this site.

Oddly enough, the only way I was able to put my feelings into words was "Suck it, Lindemann."

http://www.backloggery.com/insanolord

EDIT: The funny thing is, I spent 2-3 hours doing that, time that I could just as easily have spent playing one of the 332 games I own but haven't finished.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:25:56 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent