Author Topic: Full Lineup of NES Ambassador Games Revealed  (Read 7423 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Full Lineup of NES Ambassador Games Revealed
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:00:59 AM »

In addition to the previously known games, five more have been revealed for the first time.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27627

Update: Nintendo of America confirmed the list of North American games over Twitter, substituting the similar NES Open Tournament Golf for Mario Open Golf.

Nintendo has revealed the ten NES games players can download as part of the 3DS's Ambassador program.

The first five games have been previously known. These include Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Ice Climber, Donkey Kong Jr. and Balloon Fight. The five new games formally revealed for the first time are Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Wrecking Crew, Yoshi, Metroid, and Mario Open Golf.

These games will be available for players who have been officially registered as part of the Ambassador program throughout the rest of the year, free of charge. As this confirmation has only been made on the Japanese Nintendo website, it's possible the list will vary slightly in other countries. No new information has been given on the GBA games to follow later in the year.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Full Line Up of NES Ambassador Games Revealed
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:27 AM »
I wonder if this list will be the same everywhere?

At least I know what I'm getting, nothing that jumps out and smacks me in the face, but a decent(ish) list.
I'm pretty sure I won't be playing these as soon as the GBA games come though...
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:07:13 AM »
Wow NES Golf might be one of the most polished sports games of that generation. Looks like we are basically getting nothing but classics. I only 4 of the 10 games, so I'm pretty happy with this list.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »
Was hoping for Startropics and Punch Out, but oh well. Not too excited about the golf game but the rest of the list looks good.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »
Looks like a good spread of NES games. Ah, I remember playing a lot of Yoshi.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
I look forward to replaying the original Metroid for the first time in years and actually giving Zelda II another chance.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
I'm a little surprised Punch Out isn't on there but, it would be an excellent candidate for a 3DS Remake.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure Wrecking Crew nor Yoshi was re-released on GBA in any form, which is one more game that would fit into that category than I would've predicted.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:40 AM »
Mario & Yoshi was on the original Gameboy though.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »
I know this is a silly problem to complain about, but I hate having to decide what platform I want to replay these classic games on.

I have them all on Wii, but I haven't played through many again, like Zelda 2 and Metroid.

Wrecking Crew is a great add for this list though. An outstanding puzzle game that not enough people play.

I was personally hoping for a little third party love like Castlevania or Mega Man, but as we all expected, these games are gonna be first party only.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
Ugh. I kinda actually hate this list. I like the first five they revealed, but the I don't like any of the previously unrevealed titles. Let's hope this changes even slightly for America.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
I look forward to replaying the original Metroid for the first time in years and actually giving Zelda II another chance.

I feel the same way.

I never got far in the original Metroid and I disliked Zelda II back in the day for being a sidescroller. I kinda look forward to giving them both a second try.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Full Lineup of NES Ambassador Games Revealed
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »
Awesome, awesome awesome!!
I can not believe any of you lot are complaining.
Free games! Good games, too!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline pyrokamileon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
ummm, hmmm. yes they are free games..
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Zelda, Metroid, Zelda II

This right there is good enough for me. It's been a year or two since I last played through these games, and it's time for another go. 

Would have loved a little more creativity in the selection, though.  Even within the constraint of first party only titles, they could have gone with: Kirby's Adventure, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Bros. 2 or 3, Kid Icarus (shut up, I'd play it), Donkey Kong 3...

So many more options.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »
Good list of games.

Thanks for letting me know by "the middle of August," Nintendo.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
For those complaining, Nintendo could have busted out Urban Champion, Baseball, DK Jr. Math, etc.  Nothing here outright sucks.  Some is not as exciting as what NES titles COULD have been included but there is no outright crap and Nintendo not only has some outright crap in the NES library but they have re-released it time and time again.  All things considering this is not a bad list.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »
Thanks for letting me know by "the middle of August," Nintendo.

When did they ever say that? I don't recall Nintendo ever saying when they would announce the full list of games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Would have loved a little more creativity in the selection, though.  Even within the constraint of first party only titles, they could have gone with: Kirby's Adventure, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Bros. 2 or 3, Kid Icarus (shut up, I'd play it), Donkey Kong 3...

What do Battlestar Galactica and the Ambassador Program have in common?

The Final Five are not nearly as great as we had hoped. 

Though, I never played Zelda II and never finished the original Metroid, so I welcome the chance.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
The original Metroid has aged very poorly IMO, you'd be much better off tracking down a copy of Metroid: Zero Mission and playing it that way. I won't complain since I am getting this games free, but I do hope some of them will be changed for North America.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KITT 10K

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »
I hope that the 10 NES titles they give are NOT the only ones to choose from. (Some of these games I played and didn't like them. So I hope they'll be others because if not then this "ambassador program" is worthless.)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
There will not be a selection. Nintendo made it clear that Ambassadors will get 10 specific games. There may be other games eventually, but they will be pay games. Besides, you are getting these games for free.

Offline KITT 10K

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
That maybe true, but free crap is still crap.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
I'm not terribly excited by the list, either, but only because I've already played most of these games.  The ones I liked, I played to death.  Wrecking Crew is the only thing that interests me.

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Save states would make Metroid and Zelda II far more playable, but am I remembering correctly that there won't be save states until the "updated" versions come out?