Author Topic: Can I make a thread advertising console/handheld repairs?  (Read 15756 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Can I make a thread advertising console/handheld repairs?
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
I work in a local repair shop part time, and I'm trying to help expand our business. We fix all game consoles and hand held systems, just about every type of phone, etc. I don't care about phones, I don't even handle that part, but I do all of the Xbox 360 drive replacements, and all Wii, DS (DSi, DS Lite, etc) and PSP repairs. I've been seeing quite a few people with issues with their systems lately, so I think it would benefit everyone. I can probably work out a discount for forum members and site staff if anyone's interested. If any mods want me to disclose some business info, including phone numbers, photos, etc, I'll be happy to do so. We can even get something going with this site in general and work out some kind of royalty system or something if it were to take off. Please think about this and let me know if it's cool or not. I, myself have done just about every type of repair you can imagine on the DS systems (replace either screen, fix cracked hinges, replace digitizer, replace power switch/volume button, replace shoulder buttons, replace mainboard components, etc, you name it, I've done it). Think about it, seriously.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make a thread advertising console/handheld repairs?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »
How do I get peanut butter out of the Wii's disc drive?
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
I'll let you if you fix this broken Virtual Boy I have for free. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Can you fix Famicom Disk System? How about failed Wii graphics chips?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
I have a really old NES and a bunch of NES games that need repairs. Could you help me?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
NES and NES games we could probably do (I assume they need batteries, maybe caps?). I've never seen anyone that has fixed a Wii's GPU though (so far the only Wii repairs I've had to do has been for drive repair, whether it's laser, motor, gears, or the full drive, and power/eject/reset button replacement, but I've done a bunch of them). Only solution I've seen is to replace the motherboard, which means losing everything in the process. We're going to be purchasing a BGA rework machine soon, so that may be a possibility, but honestly we've only had a single Wii come in with a failed GPU. I've never seen a Famicom Disk System either. I forgot to mention slot 1/slot 2 replacement for DS systems too. Never had to do a slot 2 (but it would be pretty simple), but I've done a bunch of slot 1's on both DS Lite and DSi systems.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Virtual Boy? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »
Played with one at KB Toy Store about 15 years ago...and that's my experience. I'd be happy to take a look at it, maybe I could find some videos on YouTube or something.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
So, I just picked up a broken Sega Genesis, Xbox (I forgot to mention I can fix those too), Game Gear, and Dreamcast for $20 altogether (a couple controllers, an SNES game, and a laptop DVD-ROM were in there too)...so I'll update with more things I can fix shortly.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:12:46 PM »
Swapped the drive in the Xbox (had a couple in my garage), it works now - just need to get a controller. Oh, also, none of these consoles came with cables, so I went to go buy a Dreamcast RCA and power cable, and the dude said he could only sell them with the system, so he sold me a Dreamcast, with cables and a controller for $20. Brought it home, works fine, plugged in the Dreamcast I picked up this morning...works just fine too! So, for $40 today (so far) I've gotten 2 working Dreamcast consoles and a working Xbox (which will soon be modded and XBMC put on it). Pretty sure I'm going to build and arcade cabinet soon, with every console from Dreamcast through PS3 in it. Just need to finish classes and hopefully take the summer off.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
BUMP. Just a reminder - I can fix your stuff, pretty much anything that deals with any consoles or handhelds from the past 11 years...DS (DS Lite, DSi), PSP (any model), GameCube, Wii, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360.

Also, I can most likely take care of Wiis with failed GPUs too. They're pretty rare, but it's basically the same problem with the Xbox 360 RROD (and potentially PS3 YLOD, though YLOD is actually a generic hardware failure with no secondary code, unlike the Xbox 360), there's a cold solder joint in the BGA. We use a hot air rework station with a high temp preheater. Only annoyance is that there's 80 bazillion screws in the Wii.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:19:37 PM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
Hey Brandogg, do you do Laptop repair?

I have some issues that I'm about to google search.
Laptop fell of bed. Hear something rattling, it overheats immediately after turning it on.

I can't get the bottom cover off the Laptop to do a full inspection, so off to the internet I go.
Just thought I should bump this thread just in case you can help me out.

Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7013

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
Good chance that the heat sink bracket broke...probably an easy fix. That model sounds familiar. You probably need to remove the LCD before you can take the bottom off, be very careful because the screw holes snap off very easily.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
Do you know anything about computer software? My family laptop has been having a lot of problems for the last few months and I'm hoping you can diagnose the problem.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
Do you know anything about computer software? My family laptop has been having a lot of problems for the last few months and I'm hoping you can diagnose the problem.
superantispyware & malwarebytes

run either or both of those as a start

also visit Microsoft Security Essentials and do a free virus check

but we have a general thread for questions of that sort:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28060.msg717393#msg717393

Good chance that the heat sink bracket broke...probably an easy fix. That model sounds familiar. You probably need to remove the LCD before you can take the bottom off, be very careful because the screw holes snap off very easily.
I tracked down a youtube video of the computer being taken apart... (no thanks to Google Search)
and it looks really complicated with unplugging of stuff and removing of the harddrive and all that.
How much do you think it would cost to take it to a professional that can be held personally responsible for breaking it should they not know what they are doing?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »
No, it's nothing like that. I know for a fact that nothing malicious is causing this.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
It's really hard to say, shops like to charge a lot of money for things. There will be a few ribbons to unplug and a **** ton of screws, but if you use a large surface, and basically line everything up the way that it was off to the side, it should be pretty easy. Like, take out the outer "perimeter" of screws, and to the side, recreate an outer "perimeter" (make it larger if you can) using those same screws. It might end up being that the heat sink screws into the top side of the main chassis of the laptop (where the keyboard/trackpad are). If that's the case, you'll probably end up needing to order a new piece. It wouldn't hurt to at least call some shops and see if they can give you a free estimate, or at least some ball park figures.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
it is worth noting that anything sent to this repairman has a 50 50 chance of never being returned.  About a year ago brandogg fixed my ipod which was glorious and quick. But in January I sent him my second repair. I sent a broken pair of head phones and some money for the repair, only to have my belongings never returned.  I have tried many times to politely request my things back, but with no luck.  It has been over six months , more than enough time to make said repair. He has also stopped responded to any emails.  Thus use his services at your own risk.  Pretty shady stuff.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
Sounds like you were impressed with what he did with your ipod, so at least everything worked out good there. It sucks about your headphones, though... one possibility is that it could have gotten lost in the mail. Sometimes that does happen. But I guess that doesn't account for him not responding to your emails. But let's wait and see what he has to say about it before we pass judgement.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
*sits and watches*

I'm eager to see how this will pan out.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »
Sounds like you were impressed with what he did with your ipod, so at least everything worked out good there. It sucks about your headphones, though... one possibility is that it could have gotten lost in the mail. Sometimes that does happen. But I guess that doesn't account for him not responding to your emails. But let's wait and see what he has to say about it before we pass judgement.

Yes his initial work was FANTASTIC, though I am certain nothing was lost in the mail. He confirmed they were delivered.  I hope my post didnt sound too rude.  And i just did not want any other NWR member to have to deal with such sillyness.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:55:36 PM by leroypantweather »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
Please accept my SINCERE apologies. I did respond to the only email I received from you, but you are absolutely right, this is ridiculous. I have your headphones, they are fixed and I will send them out tonight. In all honesty they were at my shop in a box, I took them there to solder the new wiring in (after your first email) and then they just got lost in the shuffle, but I brought them home when I left tonight. This is not the way I like to do things, and it IS NOT the way that I do things. Just this second I checked my email, and you are right you did email me again on 5/27. I just missed it somehow, and I am very sorry for this. You should be getting them in the mail early next week. I am truly, truly sorry. I didn't even realize there was an envelope with money in it too, but you will be getting that back as well.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
Please accept my SINCERE apologies. I did respond to the only email I received from you, but you are absolutely right, this is ridiculous. I have your headphones, they are fixed and I will send them out tonight. In all honesty they were at my shop in a box, I took them there to solder the new wiring in (after your first email) and then they just got lost in the shuffle, but I brought them home when I left tonight. This is not the way I like to do things, and it IS NOT the way that I do things. Just this second I checked my email, and you are right you did email me again on 5/27. I just missed it somehow, and I am very sorry for this. You should be getting them in the mail early next week. I am truly, truly sorry. I didn't even realize there was an envelope with money in it too, but you will be getting that back as well.

Apology accepted! Thanks for clearing that up. You do not have to send the money back...don't you have a small child,?  use the money to buy something for him ! i would prefer you did that, thanks again
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:05:00 PM by leroypantweather »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
I appreciate the gesture, but I am an ass and it's the least I can do. My kids are 2 and 6, they are old enough to get jobs and buy their own stuff anyway, so you get your money back. It's been 6 months for god's sake.