Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 265713 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #850 on: September 17, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
That thing is the definition of "lowest bidder". You will never get that thing to play games besides farmville acceptably. Even if you found a card that would fit, the CPU is badly gimped, producing another nasty bottleneck. Even the RAM is slow. You can salvage the hard drive, but you're better off re-purposing the computer than to effectively scrape it by taking the HDD.

Start with a completely new computer.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 17, 2011, 01:38:04 AM »
That's what I'm thinking, plus its good to have a backup computer or I can give this one to someone...

Yeah, I wasn't too smart when I bought this, but the computer I had before was from 2003 so this one was still a huge improvement in many respects. I mean, the 2003 computer came with a floppy drive for crying out loud.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 17, 2011, 03:07:33 AM »
To Choro Ghost: 

You can use an PCI 2.0 GPU graphic card in a 1.0 PCI Express slot without much difference (think you'll lose something like 2% difference).  The big thing 2.0 changed was the ablilty for the slot to draw power from the Motherboard directly.  Instead all you need is a healthy PSU with 6/8 pins adapters (my GPU uses two 6 pin and I have an 500 Volts with 18amps on two 12 volts rails).

So you can save yourself the hassle of getting a new MB unless you're going upgrade to SATA 6 and USB 3.0.

Man, has SSD drives gone down in price?  Wouldn't mind an 100GB SSD for cheap :0 but I think I'll have better luck just trying those Hybrid drives? 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 17, 2011, 03:14:38 AM »
You guys should move teh PC building talk to here:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=31386.0

or create another thread for it. I keep thinking there is new Vita news when there is not.

Chozo, I'm sure you could recreate the system I built with a better CPU & GPU for a better price than I did from. You have to look further into the thread for my final setup though.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 17, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
I'm sorry Chozo, but I would have to agree with Oohhboy's assessment. You could probably finagle a few upgrades, but the effort and cost would not be worth the marginal performance increase you'd see. But like you said, it never hurts to have an extra PC around. Turn it into a media server or Linux box! :)

I just finally retired my gaming rig from 2001. I've been using it as a spare server for years now. A brown-out destroyed the power supply, motherboard, and probably CPU. I don't have to build an entirely new machine though. Instead I'm going to upgrade a few components on my main system and use the hand-me-downs to make up the majority of the new server. It's a good cycle, and one you get into after a few years. You'll always have machines to play with.

Plus, there's just a tactile and comfortable feeling to using a controller that I don't get with a keyboard and mouse.

I really don't understand that. A good mouse is practically an extensive of your arm. It doesn't feel like an in-between like a gamepad does. Still... I have two Xbox controllers and an arcade stick sitting right here next to me for use in the handful of games that don't work monumentally better with a mouse and keyboard. ;)

I keep thinking there is new Vita news when there is not.

We're doing you a favor. You don't want to hear about Sony's products anyway. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: September 17, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
Plus, there's just a tactile and comfortable feeling to using a controller that I don't get with a keyboard and mouse.

I really don't understand that. A good mouse is practically an extensive of your arm. It doesn't feel like an in-between like a gamepad does. Still... I have two Xbox controllers and an arcade stick sitting right here next to me for use in the handful of games that don't work monumentally better with a mouse and keyboard. ;)

Different strokes, different folks.  I didn't really do any PC gaming until around the GameCube years, since the PC got some games that the PS2 and Xbox got but the GCN didn't.  I learned to game on consoles using controllers, and that's just what feels the most comfortable to me.  Plus, I've had way more mice that just decided not to work for various reasons (stuck trackball, laser sensor malfunctioning, etc.) than I ever have had controllers break.  I prefer the mouse for real-time strategy games (and P&C Adventure games, though those have become far more playable on consoles in recent years) since there is just no way that a controller can handle the amount of input needed for those kinds of games, but the controller works fine for everything else.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:13 AM »
Plus, I've had way more mice that just decided not to work for various reasons (stuck trackball, laser sensor malfunctioning, etc.) than I ever have had controllers break.

Do you spend the same $40+ on mice that you do per console controller, though? ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 18, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
This optical mouse I use is a mini sized thing probably about the size of what a real mouse is. It only has two buttons and is made by GE and I got it cheaply at Big Lots about 6-7 years ago. The rubber side cushion things have fell off and the silver paint is rubbed off over the years to expose the white plastic underneath. But it still works great except for the scroll wheel which I never really use anyway.

I spent <$10 for it and it still does its job. Its funny how cheap stuff is often more durable and longer lasting than the stuff that costs 4 or 5 times as much.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Sony shows Class when GI baits Trash(talking)
« Reply #858 on: September 19, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »
Sony shows Class when GI baits Trash(talking)
Is it possible to applaud Shu Yoshida on this. +1 +1
Quote from: GameInformer interview with Sony's Shu Yoshida
GI: It’s suspicious that Nintendo is releasing a second circle pad attachment for the 3DS after gamers universally praised the Vita’s dual analog sticks. Can you talk about what looks like an attempt by Nintendo to keep up with Sony?

SY: Well it’s not like they looked at PS Vita and said “we need to do that as well.” I don’t know. It’s clear that they didn’t believe a second analog was necessary when they designed the 3DS, so I can only guess it was requested by Capcom’s side. Maybe a Capcom producer told Nintendo that to play Monster Hunter we need [two] analog sticks. That I don’t know, so I can only guesstimate. It was a bit shocking to see what they came up with.

GI: Touching on the 3DS again, it seems like Nintendo responded to the Vita’s low price tag by dropping the 3DS’ cost even lower. It appears to be a direct response from Nintendo. Is it exciting to see Nintendo, which has had a death grip on the handheld market, seemingly react to the Vita’s hype?

SY: I don’t personally believe that they dropped the price of the 3DS to respond to our pricing. We didn’t price PS Vita to their price, either. We had that plan since the last couple years. My personal guesstimate is that they have their business plan and goals to sell a certain amount of 3DS units, and they realized post-launch was that the pricing was not helping them to achieve the goal that they set. That’s my estimate. As far as if I’m excited, I’m not sure. If the 3DS sells like crazy and no one is interested in PS Vita, that’s a problem. There are lots of analysts talking about, “well, you know there are smart phones, there’s no need for dedicated portable game machines.” I don’t believe it. But if they point to certain performance of the 3DS and say the smartphone is here, it doesn’t help us either. I like to see healthy competition between Nintendo’s system and ours because it helps innovation. It’s always a good thing to have.

He also mentions lessons learned from PSP that [hopefully] won't be repeated wit Vita
and mentions map-able buttons on a hardware level.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/09/18/sony-s-shu-yoshida-talks-vita-psp-lessons-and-nintendo.aspx?PostPageIndex=2
In addition, because PS Vita has a much larger, nicer-looking screen, and the existence of dual analog sticks, we will provide from a system level that some games benefit using the right analog stick. Like FPS or third-person action-adventure games. We will provide options to remap the control from either face buttons or the action buttons to right analog stick. So the control would be much better on PS Vita.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 19, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »
It's a hair bitchy, but pretty amusing, Sony had a boat ride from Hell at TGS.

While there is some cultural misunderstandings going on, but something is fucked up if a guy spends 3 days at your show and only gets 3 impressions out. In comparison, NWR with two unpaid guys managed 13 impressions.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 19, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
It's a hair bitchy, but pretty amusing, Sony had a boat ride from Hell at TGS.

While there is some cultural misunderstandings going on, but something is fucked up if a guy spends 3 days at your show and only gets 3 impressions out. In comparison, NWR with two unpaid guys managed 13 impressions.

Damn, that sux. But maybe he should have tried to show up just before doors open and not after an hour long line had already formed at the booth hoping to rely on press credentials that didn't even gain him any favor during the press only days and event.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 19, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
The guy did have a nasty run of bad luck. There was certainly a massive cluster **** of missed expectations, especially during that boat ride.

The Japanese more than likely viewed it as a Wine and Dine, **** the games cruise, not unlike the after work parties of which I have been to many. While a Westerner would have expected a boat load of Vitas, the Japanese no doubt saw the boat trip to nowhere as a success.

I have to say though, his expectations on the press only day was a little high, especially with the lines, but Sony America did **** him over with vague promises of access.

I would have enjoyed the boat ride since I always enjoy a good feed, but the guy is understandably cheesed off he had effectively achieved nothing during his 3 days there.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:37 AM »
Vita's memory prices are up--roughly $25 for 4GB card.

•4GB Card – 2,200yen/$29,
 â€˘8GB Card – 3,200yen/$42
 â€˘16GB Card – 5,500yen/$72
 â€˘32GB Card – 9,500yen/$124...

Usually the US the prices are a bit different so I'm guessing:
25 for 4
40 for 8
60 for 16
100 for 32

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
it probably got lost in all the computer talk, so I'll jut quote it again

edit: And then on top of that, the memory card isn't included (in Japan so far) and cost alot more than a standard SD card.
Memory card 4GB December 17, 2011 ÂĄ2,200 ($29)
Memory card 8GB December 17, 2011 ÂĄ3,200 ($42)
Memory card 16GB December 17, 2011 ÂĄ5,500 ($72)
Memory card 32GB December 17, 2011 ÂĄ9,500 ($124)

Considering that 2200 yen for a 4GB card is close to $30 US dollars, where you can get a 4GB SD card for $5-$10, I'm not sure how well that is gonna go over.

too expensive, but people will pay it.

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »
32gb is too small that's what my PSP  has now .  and i can only assume that the games' file sizes are only going to increase.  Has it been mentioned yet  if this thing can keep more than one profile on it (like ps3) for managing regional accounts and what not????

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 22, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
That is way too expensive. Well it's way too expensive if you plan to buy games. I see the Vita becoming a hacker's delight.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »
Looks like those EXPENSIVE Vita Mem Cards are gonna be a requirement to play SOME of the Vita games

http://andriasang.com/comyrl/
Required Peripherals
Famitsu says that a Memory Card is pretty much a requirement, as some games will require the card. Games that require a card can't even be booted up if you don't have one.

Games like Uncharted will require a Memory card to play meaning that the minimum cost (in Japan at least) till be ~$280 for the system +$40 for the game

You could end up spending double the amount of just a 3DS for a PSVita a MemCard and a game.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:15:48 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #867 on: October 26, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
And the firmware update that can fix this probably will be about 3 years and 70 revisions in.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
It can't be fixed with a firmware update; that would require a new version of the hardware with built-in storage.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
Ah Sony, so hellbent on making me not get a Vita. :(

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 30, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
Something really stupid yet funny:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"During a PS Vita Press Conference on Friday, Sony Computer Entertainment Taiwan announced the PS Vita will launch in Taiwan on December 23, at the conference SCET's new spokeswoman Rainie Yang, a well known celebrity in Taiwan, came out and spoke to the media. At the stage when asked about her favorite PlayStation game, Rainie claimed that her favorite is Nintendo's "Super Mario Bros" - a game that never appeared on PS platforms.

Her answer wowed the crowd at the press confernece, aware that something went wrong, she started posing to the media to divert the attention. However when she started holding the PS Vita on her hand, she held it upside down, and of course she wowed the media again with her reckless behavior! It seems she is either clueless on video games, or she hates Sony."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
I would go with Clueless.  Then I would flog whoever her Handlers where.

That was an obvious question and she should have known how to properly hold the product she was showcasing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »

That was an obvious question and she should have known how to properly hold the product she was showcasing.

She's clearly hacked her PSP and included an emulator on it. Don't be mad that she's in tune with the vast majority of PSP owners!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 01, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »

She's clearly hacked her PSP and included an emulator on it. Don't be mad that she's in tune with the vast majority of PSP owners!
That's why they don't want you to have a Vita.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »
Sony just announced "UMD Passport" for Vita where you can register your PSP UMDs and get a discount to download them on Vita. Prices average from $6 to $13 but are as high as $31. Source: Joystiq

This is exactly what it sounds like. Sony is charging for "backwards compatibility" and the discounted prices for the downloads are more than what most games currently cost at retail. One could download the free app which is unofficially named "The Consumer Anal Rape Initiative" within Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and repurchase all of those games or one can spend that money on more productive, non-anus violating ways (example: cupcakes). I think it's more likely that someone will hack Vita to do this without the hassle of repurchasing these games. I don't personally pirate games but I can certainly see why one would when Sony's alternative sucks so immensely. It's like they're encouraging hackers. If I ever even buy a Vita, I'd stick to playing my antiquated UMDs on my regular PSP.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:30:52 AM by Adrock »