Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 614174 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #500 on: January 10, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
Let me go on a sidequest that tells me something about Hyrule's past, something that doesn't necessarily move the story forward, but fleshes out the world.

In other words, what they did in Majora's Mask.  Well, as that game is my favorite Zelda I wouldn't have a problem with that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 10, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
No. Majora's Mask didn't take place in Hyrule.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »
yeah, but MAjora's Mask is made of WIN
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »
You know, Zelda has been around for so long that really interesting/compelling story additions could be enough of a reward in itself to complete a sidequest. It'd sure as heck be better than just a pile of rupees at least.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
People would complain if it was just story elements.
Maybe if there was an item that wasn't mentioned until you found it. Something you don't really need, but is really cool to have if you take the time to actually go get it.

Like you go off on some random quest to fetch someone's dog that ran down some cave that everyone was too afraid to ever go down, and in the process of looking for the dog you find something that leads to a small dungeon hidden in the cave that leads to a treasure chest with a map written in some ancient forgotten language.

You have to take this map to some historian somewhere in Hyrule who would translate the map and give you the story of some ancient mythical sword/shield/armor that had magical powers that activated when it was combined with the Hyrulian Diamond (a stone hidden in a castle somewhere in the last 1/4 of the game). The sword/shield/armor was dismantled/broken and hidden across the lands but the exact locations were a secret. A secret held by the Hyrulian Historian Society, a secret society so secret, everyone assumes it's just an urban legend that has been passed down from generation to generation. Now you have to track down these HHS members, who are scattered all over the world and only meet in the Hyrule castle towns hidden underground temple on nights of the Full moon. You might see these members scurrying around town late at night(in dark robes) only to disappear down some dark dead-end alley, and you might even catch up to them and try to talk to them, but they will say nothing in return if you don't know the secret HHS phrase.

But of course you would never even hear about this side quest if you didn't wander further than necessary into a cave to rescue some dog for a little girl, and the side quest takes you away from the main course of the game and extends the length of the game by several hours by opening up hidden dungeons that you wouldn't have access to. Now instead of all those useless rupees in the random treasure chest, occasionally you would find a weird metal fragment with no real description. If you didn't know of the quest, you wouldn't know what these random fragments were or what potential they might have if you collected them all.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #505 on: January 11, 2010, 04:01:09 PM »
Since the game is practically done, that leaves plenty of time to work on voice acting this year.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:38 PM »
Since the game is practically done, that leaves plenty of time to work on voice acting this year.

You may be joking but I totaly believe there will be voice acting. Charles Martinet has been on Nintendo's team for years. He must know the Zelda games have been basicly mute since day one. So why would he ever approach Miyamoto saying that he wants to voice Link? Because a casting call was probably put out for this Zelda game and he wondered why Link was not on the casting list.

I honestly would prefer a game with some actual spoken dialogue, I thought Star Fox 64 and Mario Sunshine was done very well. I wish Nintendo would do more of that. Though it doesn't make or break an deals for me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »
I honestly would prefer a game with some actual spoken dialogue, I thought Star Fox 64 and Mario Sunshine was done very well.

Shirley you must be joking
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
Well at the time I thought it was great! Even when I play it today, I think it is very tolerable. Sounds like i'm watching a cartoon!

RomanceDawn

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »

You may be joking but I totaly believe there will be voice acting. Charles Martinet has been on Nintendo's team for years. He must know the Zelda games have been basicly mute since day one. So why would he ever approach Miyamoto saying that he wants to voice Link? Because a casting call was probably put out for this Zelda game and he wondered why Link was not on the casting list.

I think you're overanalyzing.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #510 on: January 11, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 11, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
"Use the boost to get through!" = best voice acting ever
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2010, 06:14:02 PM »
From www.ignwii.com
January 12, 2010 - Speaking on the Nintendo Weekly show (via Youtube), President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime stated the company will be taking its time with the upcoming Zelda title for Wii, and that it won't see a release until its perfect."Right now, it's still in development. But the key message that Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Aonuma is telling us is that it really has to be perfect when it launches," he said. "That really is what the Zelda fan is expecting.""So for all of those Zelda fans out there right now, I would say enjoy The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and know that the Zelda title for Wii is going to come out when it's perfect," he said.Fils-Aime's comment doesn't exactly mesh with an earlier report saying the new title would ship in 2010.Last week, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata was quoted by Asahi Shimbun Daily in Japan as saying the next Zelda for Wii will ship before the end of this year. Nintendo Japan has yet to officially make an announcement on its release date, however.

I Caterkiller, still think it will be out in 2010 despite all logic and history betting against it.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:57:47 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2010, 06:16:40 PM »
The game has been in development since 2006, supposedly. Development for OoT started around 1995, and was released in 1998. If this game IS released this year, it will have been four years since Twilight Princess.

All that effort had to go somewhere, hopefully.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2010, 06:23:44 PM »
I still think it will be out in 2010 despite all logic and history betting against it.
There you have it folks, IGN cares neither about logic or history.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »
I still think it will be out in 2010 despite all logic and history betting against it.
There you have it folks, IGN cares neither about logic or history.

we already knew that..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »
They don't care about logic, they care about internet hits and destroying game sales for games that should sell well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »
They don't care about logic, they care about internet hits and destroying game sales for games that should sell well.

Oh, is that why they made a big deal out of their "Buy Zack & Wiki Campaign"?  ::)   

Personally, I find it kind of funny that it only took around a week before Nintendo started backpeddling on the idea of Zelda coming out in North America this year.  I never expected it to, so I'm not terribly surprised.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:58:59 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »
Wii Music says hi, hello and good morning to you.

Zack and Wiki having a sale campaign is commendable, but that is only one thing. The rest of the bad things speak for itself.

IGNorance is bliss.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »
Twilight Princess's story fell apart after the first three dungeons. Midna was awesome, but then she became lame.

Heard it had alot to do with the fact that they switched writers midway through development.

Yeah, Miyamoto shook up the staff in 2005 when he didn't like the direction the game was going.  From what it sounded like was the team was spending too much time focusing on the storyline and not enough on the gamplay which pissed off Miyamoto who then flipped the tea table.

Since Miyamoto has said gameplay comes first, storyline comes last, it's no surprise the writers would be the first to go if he was angry with a game.  This would explain why the storyline and character development just stops about halfway through the game.  Since they started development in 2004 and Miyamoto changed things up in 2005, that would be around the halfway point of development.

If I'm not mistaken, the Zelda franchise was created by Miyamoto originally, so it is kinda his to do with as he sees fit.

I also want to say that picturing him overturning a tea table in anger is kinda funny. Its too bad there isn't a youtube video of that (or is there?). It sorta reminds one of when Jesus overturned the money-lending table.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2010, 05:18:50 AM »
The game has been in development since 2006, supposedly.

That makes perfect sense because 2006 was when TP came out, and I remember reading that as soon as a Nintendo team finishes a game they immediately begin work on the next. You can bet that the teams behind core franchises like Mario and Zelda never get a break, so they are constantly working on their respective IPs around the clock. They probably started this new Zelda around the same time TP went gold.
is your sanity...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »
Twilight Princess's story fell apart after the first three dungeons. Midna was awesome, but then she became lame.

Heard it had alot to do with the fact that they switched writers midway through development.

Yeah, Miyamoto shook up the staff in 2005 when he didn't like the direction the game was going.  From what it sounded like was the team was spending too much time focusing on the storyline and not enough on the gamplay which pissed off Miyamoto who then flipped the tea table.

Since Miyamoto has said gameplay comes first, storyline comes last, it's no surprise the writers would be the first to go if he was angry with a game.  This would explain why the storyline and character development just stops about halfway through the game.  Since they started development in 2004 and Miyamoto changed things up in 2005, that would be around the halfway point of development.

If I'm not mistaken, the Zelda franchise was created by Miyamoto originally, so it is kinda his to do with as he sees fit.

I also want to say that picturing him overturning a tea table in anger is kinda funny. Its too bad there isn't a youtube video of that (or is there?). It sorta reminds one of when Jesus overturned the money-lending table.

It's basically the equivalent of him sitting down with you in a meeting, he tells you you're doing things wrong, and you're afraid you might get fired.  There are no real tea tables.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2010, 03:22:56 PM »
they should bring some shenmue elements into the zelda series..i mean as far as character interaction, in Shenmue instead of talking to people and only getting one reaction out of them you got to make choices on questions, and these questions would be related to what your doing at the time. Say you need to find a guy named charlie, but your also looking for a sword, well you get the choice "ask about charlie, as about a sword". Not only this like Majora's mask everyone would have their own schedule, and you'd have to get the hang of what people do during their schedule.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #523 on: January 13, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
To do that, Nintendo would have to make an Expansion Pak for Wii.  We all know they've been incapable of doing "more complex" character interactions the past two generations.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 14, 2010, 12:18:38 AM »
There are no real tea tables.

YOU LIE! YOU LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!