Author Topic: Donkey Konga Import Review - WORK IN PROGRESS  (Read 2358 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Donkey Konga Import Review - WORK IN PROGRESS
« on: April 22, 2004, 02:40:53 AM »
It's been about two months since my father returned from Japan, Donkey Konga and two Tarukonga Controllers in hand.  I couldn't wait!...unfortunately, I had to, seeing as not one store in my area had heard what a FreeLoader was, other than FX, who hadn't gotten a shipment of them in months.  Luckily for me, their next shipment came in the following Thursday night, and soon, I was whacking those Tarukongas away.

EYE CANDY
Some people feel that it is unfair to judge a simple rhythm game on graphics, but I disagree.  DanceDanceRevolution, better known as DDR, is able to incorporate brilliant visuals into an equally brilliant rhythm game.  Of course, being a huge fan of Konami's calorie-burning bonanza, I was a bit...very disappointed at the graphics of our subject, Namco's Donkey Konga.  We've got red circles, yellow circles, pink circles, spiky circles...nothing brilliant.  The only real visuals are animals dancing and monkies beating the hell out of drums.  Transitions between visuals are uneven and aren't smooth at all, in the manner of simple sprite animation.  And ignoring that, the actual pictures could have been done on the Nintendo 64 - the textures practically don't exist!  Rareware would be ashamed. EYE CANDY gets a shameful * out of *****.

GAMEPLAY
Now we're getting to the good part.  Okay, let me break it down: red circle right drum, yellow circle left drum, spiky circle clap, pink circle both drums.  Extended circles means go all out.  Get it?  Got it.  Yes, simple, but without giving a rhythm game a shot, you can't imagine what it's like.  Seeing...(continued soon!)
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Donkey Konga Import Review - WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 02:46:01 PM »
Uh oh, the game isn't eye-sparkling yummy so I'm not going to get it...Gameplay?  Who cares about that!?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
RE:Donkey Konga Import Review - WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 08:14:28 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
It's been about two months since my father returned from Japan, Donkey Konga and two Tarukonga Controllers in hand.  I couldn't wait!...unfortunately, I had to, seeing as not one store in my area had heard what a FreeLoader was, other than FX, who hadn't gotten a shipment of them in months.  Luckily for me, their next shipment came in the following Thursday night, and soon, I was whacking those Tarukongas away.

EYE CANDY
Some people feel that it is unfair to judge a simple rhythm game on graphics, but I disagree.  DanceDanceRevolution, better known as DDR, is able to incorporate brilliant visuals into an equally brilliant rhythm game.  Of course, being a huge fan of Konami's calorie-burning bonanza, I was a bit...very disappointed at the graphics of our subject, Namco's Donkey Konga.  We've got red circles, yellow circles, pink circles, spiky circles...nothing brilliant.  The only real visuals are animals dancing and monkies beating the hell out of drums.  Transitions between visuals are uneven and aren't smooth at all, in the manner of simple sprite animation.  And ignoring that, the actual pictures could have been done on the Nintendo 64 - the textures practically don't exist!  Rareware would be ashamed. EYE CANDY gets a shameful * out of *****.

GAMEPLAY
Now we're getting to the good part.  Okay, let me break it down: red circle right drum, yellow circle left drum, spiky circle clap, pink circle both drums.  Extended circles means go all out.  Get it?  Got it.  Yes, simple, but without giving a rhythm game a shot, you can't imagine what it's like.  Seeing...(continued soon!)

So uh when are you gonna continue it ?

"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE:Donkey Konga Import Review - WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 03:59:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Uh oh, the game isn't eye-sparkling yummy so I'm not going to get it...Gameplay?  Who cares about that!?

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, Bill.  Don't get me wrong, the game is one of the best I own, but in all fairness, the graphics aren't wonderful.  Everything else, however, is 100 percent perfect (except the fact that it's TOO FRIGGIN' EASY).

And akdaman1, um...I'm uh...not at liberty to say...yeah, Mr. Von Riktor, that one wasn't a very good one...yeah...uh...heh, heh...this is kinda awkward...

WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42