Author Topic: F Zero GX  (Read 2226 times)

Offline rpglover

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
F Zero GX
« on: August 29, 2003, 05:18:50 AM »
well i have just bought this game along with soul calibur 2 so i guess i can give a good review of it as i have been busy with this game for a while now-

when nintendo released f-zero for the snes back in 1990- i found the game to be highly fun- it used the mode-7 technique for the graphics, and not only did it look good, it ran fast- faster than any of the other racers at that time. it was a fun title, with good tracks, but it was difficult nonetheless- but the problem with that game back then was that there were not enough cars (only 4) and cups (only 3)- i know i wanted a sequal, but it wasn't until the n64 that we saw it- called f-zero x it had all the best aspects of what f-zero on the snes was known for but upped the ante with a lot of new options- death race, more grand prix cups, more racers, and now even a verses mode for racing as well- it was a very good game (in my opinion) and it was one of the better racers on the n64. but now we come to the gamecube, which needs a good racing game now- that game now is f-zero gx.

the strange thing about gx that got me at first was that it is not developed by nintendo this time- it was developed by amusement vision of sega, the team responsible for super monkey ball- now that might throw some people off thinking that "if its not developed by nintendo it cant be good..."- well to anyone who has questions if this f-zero is good, i can sum it up by saying "it is not just the best racing game on the gamecube thus far, it is by far the best f-zero to come out"

the first thing you will notice in gx is that there are numerous modes available to you- grand prix, verses, practice, time attack, customize, and of course the new story mode- yes they droped death race from f-zero x but i think the story mode works in fine for a replacement- story mode takes you through event matches (like those found in super smash brothers melee) and gives you a wacked out story as you play as captain falcon- the characters of the f-zero universe now come to life, and although the voice work is cheesy- it is enjoyable- but be warned- the event matches are very tough requiring all the skills you have to get through each race- grand prix is the main mode of the game i would say- it pits you against 29 other racers on 5 tracks in each cup- you start out with 3 cups, but you can get more- and the tracks themselves are very cool- the first cup (ruby) has the fewest jumps and turns of all the tracks, but as you progress, the tracks become awesome with lots of jumps, turns, and dangers to keep you on your toes- verses is the multiplayer mode which pits you against up to 3 other friends in any of the tracks you have in the game- practice allows you to race on a track to get better at it and learn how to perfect driving on it- time attack lets you race the tracks and get your best times- the game saves your best times and you can save a ghost of that time- in which then you can race that ghost to try to better your best times- and last is customize where you can design emblems for any racer, make your own ship from parts that you get, and even customize the original f-zero racers in the game

now when you finally start playing the game, you want to see how it runs- you have probably heard it is fast and the graphics are great- well that is oh so very true- but you have to see it to belive it- the f-zero series has always focused on speed- and that is very obvious in this version- the tracks have very good detail to them and the backrounds are nice looking as well- the ships are good too, and all of this runs at 60 frames per second without a hitch in the framerate at all- it is very impressive to say the least

the sound is good too- some may not like the music, but i thought it was enjoyable- they have good remixes of old tunes in the game as well- which are very nice to listen to

but the biggest thing is gameplay- and that is the best thing about this game- it has a good learning curve, and as you get better in the game, you are able to unlock more things- the story mode is very tough- it will take quite a few tries on the nomal setting to beat the story races, and it gets tougher as you up the difficulty to hard, then to very hard- but as you perfect your driving skills, you will be able to beat the story missions- when you play the grand prix mode- you can choose the difficulty from novice to master- and as you go up in difficulty, the ships not only get faster by using boosts, they utilize all tricks they can do, such as trying to spin attack or slide attack you to throw you off the track- they dont just race against you, they actually attack you so you must be quick with decisions and good at the game to tackle the higher difficulty levels- but as you beat the story missions and grand prix cups, you get something called tickets- these help you purchase all the extras in the game- from new pilots and ships, new parts so you can create your own ship, and story mode levels and even staff ghosts- and for those of you who are worrying about the f-zero ax tracks- they are in the game but are tough to unlock

control of the game is very good as well- it is simple, and it works great- the a button accelorates, the b button is your main brake, the r and l buttons act as air brakes and allow you to make tighter turns, holding them both and turning makes you do a drift turn, the x button does the slide attack, the z button does the spin attack, and the y button gives you boosts

all in all i have to say i was very impressed by this game- it is highly suggested if you are interested in racing games, want a good challenge, or have loved the f-zero series

pros: -great graphics and runs at 60 frames per second without a hitch
        -gameplay is outstanding and very fun to play
        -lots of good unlockables
        -creating your own ships and emblems is very fun

cons: -some people may not like the music as much as i did
        -the game is very difficult (especially in story mode)

presentation: 9/10 the games menus are good and are easy to get through, and the fact that sega worked on this game makes it all the better- a game that did not need nintendo to make it good- very nice

graphics: 10/10  the game is very pleasing to watch and it runs at 60 frames per second without a hitch- very well done- the fmv's of the story mode also look great

sound: 9/10 the sound in the game is well done but some people may not like it

gamplay: 10/10 what more can i say- the game is very fun, very fluid, offers a great challenge- it is very good

control: 10/10 easy controls and very intuitive- very good for a racer

replayability: 10/10 there are so many unlockables, you can create your own ships, and beating story mode is very tough- there is so much to do- and that is only single player- multiplayer is a blast as well

overall: 10/10 (not an average)  in my opinion the best f-zero game to date and best racing game on the gamecube
i call the big one bitey.