Author Topic: Capcom Shareholders Remove Takeover Defense  (Read 9322 times)

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
Re: Capcom Shareholders Remove Takeover Defense
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »
Or maybe something boring will happen... Like Nintendo buying enough of Capcom to ensure that no one else can own 51% of Capcom.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »
Buying companies isn't really Nintendo's style. Still, I'd think if they were to buy a percentage of a company, they would want something for that investment. Buying just enough of Capcom to prevent, say Sony or Microsoft from ever holding the majority doesn't really help Nintendo. Also, they would have to buy half to prevent another company from getting 51% ever. At that point, Nintendo should just buy 51% of Capcom and not have to worry about it again.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 02:04:11 AM »
Buying companies isn't really Nintendo's style. Still, I'd think if they were to buy a percentage of a company, they would want something for that investment. Buying just enough of Capcom to prevent, say Sony or Microsoft from ever holding the majority doesn't really help Nintendo. Also, they would have to buy half to prevent another company from getting 51% ever. At that point, Nintendo should just buy 51% of Capcom and not have to worry about it again.
Didn't they buy 51% of Rare? That worked out really well.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 06:13:23 AM »
If I remember correctly, Nintendo actually owned 49% of Rare, with the Stamper brothers retaining majority ownership of the company. I may be wrong on that, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 07:26:30 AM »
Yeah, Nintendo owned 49%. I don't think Microsoft would have been interested if they couldn't have controlling interest in the company. Why buy such a large stake in a company that would only release exclusives on a competing platform? Nintendo also owned 49% of Retro, but no one knew or cared who Retro was. Nintendo paid Jeff Spangenberg a relative pittance to go away.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
You're right about the 49%, but Microsoft bought 100% including the shares Nintendo owned. Nintendo had the rights to buy them first, but they were really expensive as Microsoft paid $375 million so Nintendo bought Retro instead for $1 million.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
Now EA will buy them, dismantle them, keep the franchises they want, and discard the rest.
None of them will ever touch a Nintendo home console again.

I really hope that doesn't happen.... it would be so great if Nintendo could sneak in with a majority buy in overnite trading before the board had a chance to react.

Isn't there a law in Japan that keeps foreign companies from owning or buying out local companies?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
By all accounts, Nintendo hasn't interfered with Bayonetta 2. Also, given how childishly over-the-top Devil's Third looks, I kind of wish Nintendo would step in and tell Itagaki to cool his jets because the game is trying too hard. Nintendo has shown they can stand back and let creative types do their thing.

Actually they have. They told then to not tone it down on their behalf, and to remove that undershirt on the link costume because it would fit her style better. But you know Nintendo, meddlers gotta meddle ;)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
Iwata did say that mergers and aquisitions could save Nintendo's financial situation. Nintendo would be a fool to pass on the opprotunity to purchase such a company with such powerful IPs. Nintendo's power base would increase in the gaming industry. Securing Monster Hunter alone would ensure their dominance in Japan, and all of the hardcore titles would help close Nintendo's gaming droughts. I say let it happen.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
No I think resident evil has lost it's credibility so yeah, there's that...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
At this point, I don't think you'll see Nintendo buy a major studio. They could have bought others like Sega or Atlus but they've passed on all opportunities. This Capcom news will be more of the same with wishful hoping and then the window will close and everyone will wonder will wish they had gone for it. Nintendo just wants small companies they can buy on the cheap and increase profitability that way.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
The problem with buying a company like Capcom, is you buy the name and the IP, but you may not be able to retain the talent.

So Nintendo would rather court the talent, possibly with offers such as helping them fund their own studio w/ a development contract. But regardless, Capcom would be a good buy even if they lost a majority of the talent.
If they could hold onto the SF Team, the MH Team and re-organize a new Mega-man team, they are already winning. VC would get a HUGE boost and Smash Bros. now has room for a major expansion.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Forgot to mention, I feel like there's an opportunity here to gather the japanese game developer kingdoms to rally against Western dominance. Most of Nitnendo's outreach efforts of late seem like a step in this direction, though Square Enix is still giving the cold shoulder for the most part. Also, does Konami do much of anything internally at this point besides developing Metal Gear games?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »
By all accounts, Nintendo hasn't interfered with Bayonetta 2. Also, given how childishly over-the-top Devil's Third looks, I kind of wish Nintendo would step in and tell Itagaki to cool his jets because the game is trying too hard. Nintendo has shown they can stand back and let creative types do their thing.

Actually they have. They told then to not tone it down on their behalf, and to remove that undershirt on the link costume because it would fit her style better. But you know Nintendo, meddlers gotta meddle ;)
I hate you. Also, the Link costume has only been shown in the first Bayonetta.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »
I would think CapCom would find some way to prevent a buyout. Just doesn't seem like a company that wants it to happen.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »
No I think resident evil has lost it's credibility so yeah, there's that...

No more than Metroid has.  I'm sure the franchise could bounce back from RE6.  I don't expect it to entirely because Capcom, like pretty much every Japanese videogame company these days, is run by idiots.  But with a great comeback game and a good marketing campaign it probably stands a chance.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
From what I've heard about Resident Evil 6, it's improved dramatically after all the patches they've done on the game since release.  I might get around to playing that game again this Halloween.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
The problem with buying a company like Capcom, is you buy the name and the IP, but you may not be able to retain the talent.

So Nintendo would rather court the talent, possibly with offers such as helping them fund their own studio w/ a development contract. But regardless, Capcom would be a good buy even if they lost a majority of the talent.
If they could hold onto the SF Team, the MH Team and re-organize a new Mega-man team, they are already winning. VC would get a HUGE boost and Smash Bros. now has room for a major expansion.

Nintendo VS Capcom Brawl!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.