Author Topic: So I built an arcade cabinet (cross pots from General Gaming, sue me)...  (Read 1276 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
...this is actually my second time doing this. The first time was about 20 years ago but I wasn't nearly as patient and just rushed it with plywood and a big CRT, didn't realize it wouldn't fit through my doorway, got angry and demolished it. This time, I used a template (original Mortal Kombat cabinet - though it is 5" wider to accommodate for the LCD), took my time, made sure it would fit through the front door, etc. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Not counting the laptop that's inside it (I've had it for a little over 6 years), I spent about $140 on wood (though some of that was due to doing some trial and error - only needed to spend about $85 really) and other hardware. The buttons and joysticks cost about $90 with shipping, but that's because I was impatient and miscounted at first - should have been about $70 - $75. The 32" 1080 LCD (this makes 4:3 games display at just slightly larger than they did on their original 25" CRTs) was $160, and I already had the sound bar too, but I think I paid about $60 for that a few years ago. T-molding was $20, acrylic (for the yet not-completed marquee) was about $18 I think, same for the glass overlay/bezel. Probably spent about $50 on paint and supplies - would have been much easier and cheaper if I had a power sprayer. This was definitely the most time-consuming part. MAME is free obviously and so are the ROMs (of course these are for...historical and archival purpose). GLSL settings in MAME make the games *almost* look like their running on an original LCD ("pincushion" effect, scanlines, etc.). For now I've gone with a Mortal Kombat 3/4 control layout, though the top of the control panel is removable and I plan on making a 4-player/3-button panel for TMNT, X-Men, The Simpsons, Blitz, NBA Jam, etc. as well, in the next month or so. Anyway, here are some pics. When I actually make a marquee (or order one, I have enough acrylic to make/order 3 different ones) or make the new control panel I'll post updates. It was definitely a labor of love, and I learned a few things that would help should I ever decide to do this again. I could easily knock out another one in a single day knowing what I know now.

Just showing off how awesome GLSL can make your games look.

The soundbar just happened to be the *exact* same width as the 32" LCD's frame.

Here's what I'm using until tomorrow...it runs *nearly* everything at full speed, but a Core i5 9600K and all the components are coming from Amazon tomorrow, then it will be perfect.

Custom bezels make the games look even more authentic, or at least eliminate the extra blackness from using a 16:9 screen...

...especially when using a "monitor bezel" - from a foot or so away you'd think it was an original arcade CRT.

I'll also be running Dolphin emulator (GameCube/Wii), CEMU (Wii U), PCSX2 (PS2), etc. My son and I played Super Smash Bros. Melee on it, that was pretty awesome. Yes I cross-posted. That forum doesn't get enough love.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: So I built an arcade cabinet (cross pots from General Gaming, sue me)...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
Go to hell. You're still my favorite poster though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
How do you cross pots? How does that work?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
edit

ctrl+a

ctrl+c

new post

ctrl+v
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post