Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 362779 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #625 on: March 24, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »

Question about the great fairies - I've got some armor that shows question marks for the material needed.  Does this mean I haven't run across the item needed yet?  or is it that I need to find more great fairies before they'll reveal what items I need? .

The latter.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
Wait so you're telling me crabs in this game can be cooked?

Yes, you can cook crabs into a meal or make a dish out of them just like in real life.

I was thinking "is that supposed to be carp?  What's the difference between a carp and a fish in this game?"

It could have been crops as well but Caterkiller has never really clarified. Maybe there are craps I can find to mix into a dish this game....

I have obtained the ninja suit and, yeah, it's great to just effortlessly catch bugs.  One thing I notice when I explore an area with easier enemies is that at first I'll own their ass with my fancy weapons from a harder area but those will eventually break and I'll end up with the weak weapons those weak enemies offer.  I feel like I need to go get some more good weapons before I have nothing left for the harder areas.  With the Sheikah suit I just teleport to a shrine that I know has some tougher enemies around, sneak up behind them and get some easy kills for better weapons.  I should have done this weeks ago!

Glad you like it. I've got a lot of higher attack items as well but I still try to keep a couple low end weapons on me if possible for attacking night skeletons or a weaker enemy in order to try and preserve the good stuff for where useful.

I spent a few hours looking for towns I haven't discovered yet (especially since I heard one has a house you can buy and store things in).  Found one on the southern coast, but it doesn't seem to have much to it.  Then proceeded to pin point areas where the roads end, suspecting there are towns there, found a few temples, a Colosseum with a bunch of high level enemies I don't think i'm prepared for, and then an area with a ridiculous amount of guardians, which was nice to get the materials from them, but took a few of my weapons in breakage.

The coastal village is probably the weakest village in the game although I haven't finished exploring all of Hyrule to confirm. Judging by the direction you went, you are going in the opposite direction of where you'll find the village you seem to be seeking. Discovered the Colosseum a few days ago for the first time myself. Got close enough to see what was in it and then backed away. Not ready for that yet. Wonder what your ridiculous Guardian area was. Most I've seen clustered is around Castle Town.

Question about the great fairies - I've got some armor that shows question marks for the material needed.  Does this mean I haven't run across the item needed yet?  or is it that I need to find more great fairies before they'll reveal what items I need? .

No. Yes.

Finally, Are there any items that are valuable and you never have to worry about using?  I've been more or less hoarding pretty much everything except an occasional meal here or there because of not wanting to sell off anything I'll end up needing to farm down the road.  That said, I've been consistently hovering at no more than 500 or so rupees because of arrows and other expenses I won't delve into that come along.

Everyone is going to manage their inventory differently. Items you don't have much of or seem to be very rare to come across you are probably smart to hoard but there are a lot of "renewable" items that you can usually find more sources for to go back to again. Maybe you want to hoard gems for some equipment upgrades. However, you may not need to hoard them all. Reviewing what the great fairy can do for you may show you only need to keep so many of a gem for now. If you aren't making a lot of elixirs and have plenty of mon currency then you may want to cash in a bunch of monster parts for cash.

Here are some other bits of advice:

Regarding ore, near the Laurlin Village (the coastal village), there is the closest example of a cave in this game by a little lake in the mountains. If you know where the Stone Talus is along that coastal area, this cave is just a bit above the Stone Talus. In it, there is a bunch of ore that you can smash and get a lot of valuable ore like ruby, sapphire and even a diamond once in awhile. This ore will be renewed every time there is a blood moon so you can sell ore and get it back if you want. For that matter, you may want to battle a Stone Talus or two since they will also drop a lot of precious ore when defeated and come back after a blood moon.

There is also a lot of treasure chests along the coastal area of Laurlin Village. Some of it is poking out of the sand and needs magnesis to get pulled free. Likewise, there is a lot in the water and taking a raft to search along the seaside for treasure will help you find more chests. Most are metal to be pulled up by magnesis but there are some wooden ones you may have to bring up to the surface by ice blocks. A bunch of chests will have weapons of some sort but some will contain ores and others will contain rupees. Unlike ore deposits that replenish, treasure chests do not replenish so after finding them all and taking their loot, they'll be gone. Another treasure chest wonderland I've found is the Gerudo Highlands.

There is a Stable called Outskirts Stable that has a NPC that will buy raw gourmet meat from you at 100 rupees a piece. If you don't want to bother cooking it and trying to sell it at a better price, you can sell that particular item to him and make meals out of other ingredients. He'll only buy 3 pieces per in-game day but you could probably make 900 - 1000 rupees per play session if you're playing for a couple hours and have the meat and want to keep warping back to him to sell it.

There is a minigame in the Hebra region which seems to be able to net people a lot of rupees regularly. It is a bowling minigame and if you know the trick of where to stand and release the ball, you can make 300 rupees a game if you get a strike. Potentially, you could rack up a lot of cash pretty quickly. Personally, I haven't found this area or tried it but just happened to hear and read about it a couple days ago.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
Thanks for the advise Khush.  In regards to the area with a ton of guardians, it's in the upper lefthand part of the map closer to the ruto area.  If you inspect the map you'll find a space that's called something like abandoned temple or something of the like.  It takes you through two areas with 5 or 6 guardians you have to slay, and at the end is a shrine.

In regards to the Colosseum, yeah, even though some people here seem to have gotten down beating the tougher enemies to a science, for the first encounter of them, i prefer to be well geared.  Got a ways to go before I get to that point.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 24, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »
Sell your rare minerals. They are useless outside of a few equipment upgrades, jewelry, and re-crafting the champion's gear.

In terms of monster parts, they're fine for crafting elixirs, if you're into that, but they're most useful for obtaining Mon, the only alternate currency in the game. If you have more than 100 of any monster part, sell down to that number. You'll be fine.

As for the Great Fairy materials, check to see how many springs you've unlocked, and then the tier of the gear you're trying to upgrade. If the tier is higher than the amount of springs you have, you can't craft it, but also there are some rare materials that drop infrequently from enemies. Remember, the likelihood of higher tier material drops goes up as you complete more Shrines.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 24, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the advise Khush.  In regards to the area with a ton of guardians, it's in the upper lefthand part of the map closer to the ruto area.  If you inspect the map you'll find a space that's called something like abandoned temple or something of the like.  It takes you through two areas with 5 or 6 guardians you have to slay, and at the end is a shrine.

Interesting. I was close to that area I guess but just didn't go in the right direction. There are still a lot of places I need to go and visit. While I was exploring a different area last night, I came across a Guardian. At first, I snuck around and kept my distance but then I decided to go for it and take it on. I hacked off all its limbs like Luigi Dude suggested early and then hacked away at it putting it in a stasis hold when it's laser starting powering up and moving to a different side to throw it off. It was a pretty easy fight. A short ways away I came across another Guardian. This one tried to shoot at me but because I was high up, the angle of the beam couldn't reach so I got out my bow and used an ancient arrow on it right in the eye. That's a 1-shot demise! At this point, I no longer fear the Guardians. I just dislike how attacking them means the certain loss of a weapon or two which makes since you're hacking metal with metal. I think I'm going to try and learn the parry trick Luigi Dude mentioned and make things a bit easier.

Feeling much more emboldened by these encounters, I decided to face my first Lynel going to a nearby spot where I knew one to be. That was a butt kicking. Man! Do those things move. And some of the attacks. I don't know how I'm going to counter them. It was just fairy after fairy keeping me alive. Finally decided to try an ancient arrow on it which vaporized the thing in one shot as well. However, it meant there were no monster parts dropped. Decided to just reload my game from the save I made before the encounter and move on for now. Still not sure how I'm going to take these guys down yet. I'm thinking if I can dodge at the right moment with its charge attack maybe I can get a flurry rush but I need more practice on that since I've had maybe 4 flurry rushes in all the enemy encounters I've had up to this point in my playtime. I prefer my sneak strike attacks.

As for the Great Fairy materials, check to see how many springs you've unlocked, and then the tier of the gear you're trying to upgrade. If the tier is higher than the amount of springs you have, you can't craft it, but also there are some rare materials that drop infrequently from enemies. Remember, the likelihood of higher tier material drops goes up as you complete more Shrines.

Didn't know that. Guess I should start beating more shrines.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 24, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »

I don't know for sure how many shrines i've tackled & beaten, but it can't be a small number, since the majority of the time I first put into the game before I ran through all the ancient beasts was mostly exploring the world for towers and shrines.  I'll have to do a count and see how far I am, because I don't think i'm getting extraordinary drops currently.

It sounds like my biggest issue currently is not finding enough fairy fountains, which means I'll need to explore more, which also means I'll need to obtain more rupees considering the elevated costs for each one.  Boy, I could be playing this game up to when the DLC drops...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 24, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
I found one Great Fairy early in the game as I'm sure everyone found that one, but what other provinces hold Great Fairies?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »
Well, if you want to be spoiled....

The Great Fairy you are talking about is most likely the one at Kakariko Village by the shrine. That is the only Great Fairy in that region of the map.

There is one in the Gerudo region. One in Tabintha(?) Province. One in Akkala region.

If you want more directions on how to find them, I'm going to give you some details. If you don't want to be further spoiled then stop reading here.

For the Gerudo region, basically you want to go to the bottom left corner of Hyrule. It is near the very edge of the Southwest tip of the map in the back of the desert. It can be found by some Leviathon bones.

For the Tabintha Province, the fairy can be found by the tower that gives you the map for the region. This is the map that would reveal where the Rito Village location is. If you are standing on the tower and look to the south and the Gerudo Highland mountains, you should be able to see the Great Fairy on a hillside nearby.

For the Akkala region, this one is also close to the tower. If you find the tower to give you the map for the northeast portion of Hyrule then you should see a lake with a high plateau in the middle of it with a bridge leading to it as you face the sea. That is Tarrey Town. To the south of Tarry Town and on the other side of the lake is a shrine. Close by that shrine is the Great Fairy location.

Happy hunting.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 24, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »
So I just fought a Dragon by chasing it around some mountain tops with the hang glider and shooting it with arrows while in mid air. That was awesome.

Also I got the Master Sword before I even cleared any of the Divine Beasts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 25, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »
Well I fought my first Savage Lynel today and it was intense.  It killed me the first time right away since I was not expecting that range in its new attack but the next round was mine.  It felt like I was playing Bayonetta again with all the witch time flurry rushes I was performing combined with the occasional enemy bareback riding.  I seriously can't get enough of how awesome Lynel's are and I love taking them on 1 v 1 without using food to heal myself during the fights.  I just love the thrill of the fight and when they're capable of killing me in 1-2 hits, it really feels like a true battle between 2 warriors.

So I just fought a Dragon by chasing it around some mountain tops with the hang glider and shooting it with arrows while in mid air. That was awesome.

Yeah that was a great fight.  I ended up discovering that Dragon by complete accident and was like, "oh **** this is the best surprise ever."  When I started climbing that mountain I was not expecting that to happen at the top.  This game sure know how to deal out surprises.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:19:11 AM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 25, 2017, 04:18:42 AM »
I've found three dragons in the game. Are you supposed to fight all of them? They seem pretty chill most of the time?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 25, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
Over 20 hours in, I'm still in the second area of the game with slight detours in another area or two. I've just been combing the land for Korok seeds, Shrines, and memories (56, 10, and 2 respectively). Once I figured out how the Koroks were hiding, it became easier to start looking for them. I think the game is deceptively large. I'll put a marker on the map thinking it'll take hella forever to get there, and even on foot, it won't feel like it took too long. That's including getting sidetracked because I happened across a Bokoblin camp. This isn't a bad thing. It's exactly what's so brilliant about the world. Past Zelda games had large swaths of nothing. In Breath of the Wild, you're always doing something. A lot of its brilliance is being able to climb almost anything (in spite of raining 73% of the time). Getting up and over a mountain is a puzzle in and of itself. Do I have the stamina to get to a ledge or the part of a cliff that's just horizontal enough for Link to rest? Breath of the Wild accomplishes what Skyward Sword tried (and mostly did not succeed in) doing: turning the overworld into an interesting space.

I forgot where I heard/read this: you're basically collecting courage.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Skyward Sword's environmental design was "make the environments into dungeons on the first go-around, and open them up upon return." I wouldn't say it's not interesting, it's just a lot less organic than Breath of the Wild's environmental design.

Lynel fights are the best in the game, and it disappoints me that there aren't more fights like them. This game really needed a Darknut enemy that could block as well as Link can, or maybe force the player to perfect block more often. That's my biggest complaint with the game, as is: there's an awesome combat system here that is sadly under-utilized.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 25, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
I generally loved the design of the worlds in Skyward Sword. The problems came elsewhere (moving across it, etc). In this game I love how each main area has a nearby shrine letting you fast travel through it making the journey as equally interesting as the destination. but understanding that replayability on that side is pretty low. There's only so many times I want to subject myself to the Lost Woods for instance.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 25, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »
I've found three dragons in the game. Are you supposed to fight all of them? They seem pretty chill most of the time?
Not really. I believe they are talking about a specific side quest involving a dragon.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 25, 2017, 11:25:22 PM »
Lynel fights are the best in the game, and it disappoints me that there aren't more fights like them. This game really needed a Darknut enemy that could block as well as Link can, or maybe force the player to perfect block more often. That's my biggest complaint with the game, as is: there's an awesome combat system here that is sadly under-utilized.

Yeah the Lynels feel like they're from a Platinum game which is why I love them so much.  Of course that's probably why they held back on including more enemies like them since this is the first Zelda of it's kind and they didn't want to overwhelm too many players.  Even though we're good at fighting them, there's a lot of people who are having trouble fighting Lynels.  They are not the type of enemy the average gamer is used to fighting, especially in a game with mainstream appeal like Zelda.

This is why I hope we get a Galaxy 2 style sequel to this game in the next 3 years.  Breath of the Wild is an amazing game but there are certain things I think they could expand on and polish better to really reach the full potential of what they're doing, similar to how Galaxy 2 went all out with the things Galaxy 1 started on.  Plus being a direct sequel will allow Nintendo to crank up the difficulty since direct sequels appeal to the more hardcore fans, allowing for more Lynel like experiences, similar to how Galaxy 2 cranked up the difficulty from Galaxy 1.

Of course we still got DLC coming for this game so it's not over yet.  Even though I doubt they'll go through the trouble to add completely new enemies to Hard Mode, I hope the boss of the DLC dungeon at least will be something like that except even harder to really give the game a grand finale to the entire Breath of the Wild experience, kind of like The Perfect Run or Champions Road from the 3D Mario's did for their game.  I mean, you have to imagine the upcoming story DLC if it's going to have a new dungeon should at least have a new boss to go with it and if DLC is something the hardcore fans are more likely to buy, they'll go all out with what should basically be the true final boss to the game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »
I mean, you have to imagine the upcoming story DLC if it's going to have a new dungeon should at least have a new boss to go with it and if DLC is something the hardcore fans are more likely to buy, they'll go all out with what should basically be the true final boss to the game.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 26, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Thanks again Khush! I had passed through that portion a hundred times and never noticed those big ol' mushrooms. I'm quite surprised at myself.

Ok last thing for anyone who may know, I've got the Climbers Bandana and some sort of Climbers Shirt, are there Climbers Pants anywhere?

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 26, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
I've seen shorts in videos, but I'm holding out on searching for an answer. Though I'll take advice from a friend here. I just don't want to go googling answers and risk getting spoiled or tempted to look at deeper secrets.

since I got the climbers shirt and bandanna from shrines I assume a shrine will also hold the shorts.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 26, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »
I haven't even defeated a Lynel yet and Luigi Dude wants enemies like that to be routine?  I actually would probably prefer a less difficult sequel as I feel the same game would be equally appealing without your weapons breaking every ten seconds and routine enemies beating the crap out of you.

The first time a Lynel spotted me and starting coming after me was really intense.  I didn't take into account that they're centaurs so you can't just run away on foot when they're as fast as a horse!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: March 26, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
Ok last thing for anyone who may know, I've got the Climbers Bandana and some sort of Climbers Shirt, are there Climbers Pants anywhere?

Yes there are because I've got Climbers Pants. Can't remember where I go them at this point though. Funny enough, I don't have the Climbers Shirt. I guess I need to play some more shrines myself. If I had to guess, I think they may be in the Gerudo region somewhere because I've had them for quite awhile and I never hear Stratos or you talk about that area compared to North East regions like Zora's Domain which I have just started exploring.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 26, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
Good to know about the pants thanks! I frequent Neogaf but I don't talk about discoveries or ask for help over there and I certainly don't google answers for anything. Well except for Zora mom, I asked here and there. It's more intimate here so I feel like I'm asking personal friends for help rather than random strangers. One of my martial arts students just got the game and all he does is youtube stuff. I feel like I've taught him nothing. He blurted something out to me yesterday but luckily since the game is so overwhelmingly vast in its content I don't have the slightest recollection of what he spoiled to me.

I usually try to figure out things as much as I possibly can on my own until I can stands no more then I ask. I found my first Great Fairy within my first 10-15 hours but after 60ish more hours of no second fairy I said ok I need some help.

And yeah I have not entered the Gerudo region yet. I've gone close and I really liked all of those palm trees leading in to the desert but I decided to turn back and thoroughly comb a few more areas and go visit the Goron's before I come back. I've got 3 pieces of the map I've yet to fill in and I still feel like I've barely explored any land beyond Zora's domain.

As for enemies I finally feel like I get and understand the usual types to the point that I don't have to play secret agent the majority of the time. Though sneaking around them is fun to me and scary. But them Lynells, nah bruh, I've beaten two and they still scare the pirate ship out of me. I've come across maybe 5 and I'm pretty content with how few and far in between they are, they feel like straight up bosses to me so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a ton more of them. Of course if there were more I might be more inclined to make elixirs and such.

The way they move really caught me off guard the first 20 times I had to battle one. The range of their massive swords mixed with the height and length of their bodies is ridiculous. I died over and over and over and over. I can't remember the last time I saw the Game Over screen so many times. Maybe Tropical Freeze? I remember being so afraid of the Horix(big giant fat Moblin?) when I first encountered one but they are absolute push overs compared the Lynells. I thought they were brand new enemies until I saw and old screen shot of the original Zelda that had centaurs in them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:09:43 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 26, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
I just broached the Gerudo region yesterday. first time I bee-lined to a tower and got the map for a region. I was on a wild rabbit trail of discovery after discovery in the mountain regions. But no sooner did get settled in I was off to another region. I decided to do my first foray into the Castsl Town/Hyrule Castle area. I wanted to practice fighting Guardians and farm some gears for the ancient weapons and armor since I was sitting on close to 10k in rupees from selling off all of my 100+ excess monster parts. I sell down to between 50 and 75 so I'm never short those parts for upgrades.

I heard there is a nice treasure cave near the Gerudo tower so I'll be heading back soon to find that. It allegedly has one of each of the Gerudo weapons in the cave and they re-spawn every blood moon so it could be a nice stock up location. I'll make a point of finding those climbing shorts because I really want the complete set. I climb everything and the more stamina/speed I can get the better. I should have my third stamina wheel completed soon, and I hear that is the max.

I know there are weapon mounts for your house, but I wish you could also have a chest for storing extras like in Monster Hunter. I just want to hoard Silver gear as it is some of my favorite in the game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 26, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
I think I'm finally ready to enter the next area. I took a raft to the middle of the bay to reach a shrine. After a lot of patience, I defeated a Guardian Scout IV and scored some gear I probably shouldn't have at this point. I currently have seven hearts. I encountered a minor spoiler a couple weeks ago so I know I need a particular amount of health to do a thing. That's intentionally vague though I suspect most people here are much further than me and can probably figure out what I'm referring to anyway. Once I have the requisite amount of health, I'll upgrade stamina. Besides a few isolated occasions, I haven't needed more. I needed a little extra stamina to mount the horse I wanted. I named her Glue. I want to borrow my friend's Link Amiibo to score a free Epona for no other reason than it's Epona. I'll probably stick with Glue unless I find fancier horse.

I encountered one Lynel. I didn't engage. I was on a cliff. He spotted me and started shooting things. I was mostly able to avoid them. I promptly fucked right off.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 26, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
I have a second favorite place The Forgotten Temple What a rush!  Jump, run and sail like a wild man!