Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1194778 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4050 on: February 20, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
The Expanse is a fantastic series. Remarkably dense and rewarding loyalty, its the show that genuinely succeeds Person of Interest, BSG and DS9.

Although surpassing POI is a very high bar to cross going full-on serialisation like DS9 while on a US network is a risky ballsy move, Expanse is on a steady march into something special.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:31:41 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: February 20, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »
I watched the pilot of The Expanse last night and it seems like my kind of thing. There was a lot packed into it, focusing on several different characters who are so far in very different places, but it sets up a fascinating world.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: February 21, 2017, 01:17:57 AM »
This series is and has been on my watch list... i must make time for it at some point.

My backlog has grown tremendously, so thanks for not letting me forget to renew my interest in starting this series. AoS is taking a 6 week break after tomorrow's episode (end of the LMD arc), so mayble I'll be able to catch up on everything else I already have in queue, and be able to squeeze that one in as well.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Agents of SHIELD: Age of Aida
« Reply #4053 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:16 AM »
Agents of HOLY ****, someone SHIELD my gotdamn eyes!!!

Marvel TV has found it's stride and leading the pack... no one else is in sight. Season 4's 2nd Arc finale left QUITE the cliffhanger for the rest of the season (to be continued in 6 fucking weeks :/). i don't know what Arc 3 is going to be called..., but **** is gonna be nuts, especially since I just knew they were going to find a way to bring back Ward.

So you got 6 weeks to get caught up. Forget your disdain for the 1st season, read a damn synopsis, or just bear through it and get to good stuff (which happens to start in S1 BTW) which I'm assuming is all going to come up in some way or another in the 3rd Arc of S4 of AoS.

Ghost Rider Arc was good, LMD Arc was even better, even though I wouldn't have thought that was possible going in.
p.s. Ultron ain't got **** on Aida. O.M.G.
someone is about to have some serious PTSD should they even make it out alive.

and for a first time

he did an AMAZING JOB.

best episode of this show, and by extension, best episode (and show) of any comic/superhero show I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:29:40 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: February 22, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
AOS was fantastic. Whenever Simmons is the main focus of an episode, the show dramatically improves.

This three-arc format works so much better for the show. And to think i nearly dropped the show back in S1. What a turnaround.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: February 22, 2017, 08:25:53 PM »
AOS was fantastic. Whenever Simmons is the main focus of an episode, the show dramatically improves.

This three-arc format works so much better for the show. And to think i nearly dropped the show back in S1. What a turnaround.

Simmons focused episodes have been quite the treat.

and the 3 arc leave for practically NO filler, so I really am loving this season as it all just seems so tight, focused and moving so fast. They really waste no time to get in and out of trouble, only to get in more and more again. They wrap up plots so quick, that they've literally been covering seasons worth of story lines in small season arcs. There better be a season 5 & six if this is to continue.

This at least has to last till Infinity War tie in of some sort. Send this off with a BANG!!!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:34 AM »

Simmons focused episodes have been quite the treat.

and the 3 arc leave for practically NO filler, so I really am loving this season as it all just seems so tight, focused and moving so fast. They really waste no time to get in and out of trouble, only to get in more and more again. They wrap up plots so quick, that they've literally been covering seasons worth of story lines in small season arcs. There better be a season 5 & six if this is to continue.

This at least has to last till Infinity War tie in of some sort. Send this off with a BANG!!!

Gotham has been using the same idea with Rise/Wrath of the Villains and Mad City, but AOS went one further and changes its titles to match the tone, breaks the season up with gaps in each arc and has a clear single throughline (the darkhold) to keep it all tied together. It all feels very connected but distinct from each other (in a good way)!

Jed Whedon has never directed before and he pulls out the best episode in the series on his first attempt. I'm reminded of how Jonah Nolan directed his first episode in Person of Interest's Relevance (in season 2) did the same thing and bested his more well known brother. The same has happened with AOS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: February 24, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »
This season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has been really good. Last season was fairly weak overall and I was worried they were losing their touch, but this year has been their strongest and most consistent in a while. I really love how they were able to make Mac finally be openly gay seamlessly, without calling that much attention to it or really even taking anything away from his character or the kind of jokes they can make.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: February 24, 2017, 05:07:44 AM »
What's even funnier is the phase he's going though. He's a recently out guy trying to fit into his identity rather than actually be realistic about it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: February 26, 2017, 04:36:52 AM »
I'm now three episodes into The Expanse and I'm head over heels in love with this show. I'm really tempted to not go to sleep right now like I was intending to and watch all the remaining episodes in a row right now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: February 26, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
I just watched the most recent episode of The Expanse (season 2), which ends the first book. This could have been a season finale.... its THAT good. And this is only episode five!

I'll avoid complete spoilers but everything that has been setup since the pilot really come to a head in this episode.

It really helps that the writers of the books are the creators of the show, too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: February 26, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
Holy ****... I was just catching up on Training Day, and the lead actor Bill Paxton just died today. RIP
61 yrs old. I was really getting into this show, and I loved his character on AoS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:24:51 PM by Xylophone Sex »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
The Expanse is something I've been hearing good things about for awhile and I'm really going to consider giving it a shot now since Plugabugz is willing to compare it to POI a bit.

Recently, I've just gone through all 4 seasons of Orphan Black and now there is just the final season which will air later this week. It's a fine enough show. It's not at the level of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or even a POI level. Maybe just a bit better than your Arrowverse level. Season 4 is definitely the highlight so far though and really seems able to blend and gel all the elements its been trying to play with for awhile now so I am looking forward to the Season 5 final. It's just that the show can be a bit silly or hokey at times.

Right now, I've begun watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for the first time. I've gone through the first season and am about 10 episodes into Season 2. After the Star Trek Mafia, I've been really in the mood for a Star Trek series and to revisit that universe. After hearing so many recommendations of DS9, I figured I should finally try diving into that.

I'm warming up to the show a bit but there are still some deficiencies that bother me. Part of it might be that TV writing has gotten better in the last two decades but I dislike how sometimes there's a last minute resolution that happens but it doesn't have anytime for the ramifications of it or just leaves things unresolved. As an example, in one episode early in S2, Quark helps some criminals get onto the station and they take control of it during the storm. The other crew soon figure out it was Quark and Kira vows to make him pay for it all. Yet, by episodes end, when the threat and criminals are neutralized, nothing is brought up about Quark and next episode begins with business as usual. There's no fallout from his actions nor is it clearly explained why he was helping the criminals in the first place or what he hoped to gain. In some cases, it just seems like a reasonable argument solution is being missed.

In an episode I just watched, a race of refugees comes through the wormhole and thinks Bajor is the planet of prophesy for them to settle on. The planet of sorrows for them to plant and raise hope/smiles. The Bajor government turns them down because they don't have the resources for the people and are afraid of what might happen if the land they relocate to doesn't produce. Meanwhile there's another perfectly good planet they can relocate to that seems suitable for farming and is uninhabited. The refugees are a bit upset to be turned away from Bajor and feel they could help but it keeps going back to Bajor not being able to help them if the land fails. What I don't get is why it isn't argued to let them try. If the land doesn't produce or it does fail then the refugees still have their ships and there is this other hospitable planet for them to relocate to. If need be, the Federation could provide some supplies for the sudden move without putting the burden on Bajor. Seems like that would be the best scenario in case the refugees could help in restoring the land and replenishing supplies for Bajor but it's treated as an all or nothing proposition in the episode. So, underbaked plots or oddly resolved conflicts are the name of the game but all Star Trek series good and bad have had to deal with that. It comes with the territory for the series.

On the plus side, they've had some pretty good guest stars show up so far. Jonathan Banks, John Glover, Frank Langella. I'm curious to see who else will pop up over the course of the series. S2 is definitely off to a more confident and stronger start than Season 1. I'm still not sold on the cast though. To me, most of the characters are kind of bland and pale in comparison to other characters in the other series except Voyager. Especially galling is Avery Brooks who does not seem to be a good actor. I think another reason why I may not have warmed up to DS9 before is that this takes place on a Cardassian spacestation and the Cardassian look and technology is less appealing than the Starfleet brand. As well, thanks to Picard, one can sort of picture TNG as the future equivalent of a British sailing vessel on the high seas discovering new uncharted lands or facing off against enemy ships from other nations and the exploits of the crew. With DS9, it's more like the future equivalent of a show at an airport terminal which is a different tone than what's come before and takes more work to keep things interesting with its stationary setting. I just wish the space station appeared a bit bigger or had different interiors. The Promenade whish is supposedly the center of the station and a big area just seems to be Quark's Bar with Odo's jail a little distance away. It comes across as small tiny area. It's weird seeing money and business deals as well after other Trek shows not dealing with it or bartering for things.

I'm still willing to keep at because there has been enough to keep it interesting and the Dominion has now been name dropped twice without much for details. The high point of praise for DS9 has been the Dominion and its storyline and I guess I've been fortunate to never have the details of that storyline spoiled or seen it discussed. I just know that they are considered one of the greatest threats to the Federation and maybe even the best Star Trek baddies with Voyager reducing the Borg threat level over the course of its show. It's the promise of the Dominion that keeps me going.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4064 on: March 16, 2017, 07:54:13 PM »
Deep Space 9 and Later Seasons of Next Generation start exploring the idea of having less episodic seasons and more over arching story arcs.  You can even see in earlier seasons the start of such storytelling with the relationship of the Bajorians and the Cardasians, but it takes awhile to really get bigger story arcs.

Still, I think this is a problem of television trying to episodic to the point you can just pick up and watch any show or series.  Star Trek did a better job than most of having personal character development that allowed you to get a deeper experience if you knew the characters more...and even had the characters react and change towards each other over time and seasons, but it is nothing like today's series.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »
DS9 doesn't really hit its stride until the back end of season 2. The plot starts to come together late in that season, and then they get the Defiant at the start of season 3, which opens things up a bit. The writing also improves as they start to get the feel for what the show should be.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: March 16, 2017, 10:44:48 PM »
DS9 gets better once Gene Roddenberry dies. He held the show back from season long arcs and consequences from decisions made before. This invariably made the show darker as reality is a bitch and behind the pom and flash of a British sailing ship, bad things are done back home to enable that.

Don't worry too much about the Dominion, they don't get Voyager.

Avery Brooks/Sisko gets let off the leash later.

Bajorians are dumb but you will understand why when that character appears and you will hate them.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: March 18, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
DS9 is very wonky in Season 1 and early S2, mainly because the show hasn't found its tone or footing yet but once it starts to get more confident it starts to veer off in its own direction.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: March 18, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
So, pretty much like every Star Trek series. TNG has a lackluster 1st season, an improved 2nd Season and finally becomes the show it is usually remembered as being in the 3rd. Enterprise has a rough 1st season but by the latter half of Season 2, it becomes much better and keeps trending upwards in quality.

Aside from the original series which is kind of stays the same in tone and quality from beginning to end, most Trek series have growing pains. The only other series I can't say much on is Voyager having watched very little of it. Even with Voyager, from people that do like it, they seem to point towards the middle of the series like seasons 3-5 as being really good. Voyager did seem to improve a bit when 7 of 9 joined the cast from the various episodes I've seen even though I didn't like the direction they were taking the Borg back then.

To DS9's credit, even though some of the crew is bland still and could be replaced by a talking paperweight (which would suddenly make that character more interesting), there are a couple other members that I do like and have warmed up to and while I'd like to see the writing a little bit tighter and smarter, for the most part, the episodes I've been watching have been interesting enough to keep plowing through at a regular rate which is something Voyager couldn't get me to do.

Season 2 from the beginning shows signs of improvement over Season 1 when they have a 3 episode story arc occur over its first 3 episodes. You can tell the show is beginning to realize some of the potential it has and how it can be different than the Trek that came before it by staying in a more stationary place which is getting more into the political elements of the part of space where it is patrolling. One particular highlight has been the Cardassian tailor on the ship. Both of his episodes so far have been one of the top episodes in each season I'd say. He helps make Dr. Bashir a more fun character to boot. So, even if I'm not at the "good stuff" yet, there are still other elements and things in place to keep me watching the show right now to find it pleasant enough without it being a struggle as I wait for it to truly gel.

As far as the crew goes, I think Kira Nirese(? not sure on spelling) is probably my favorite character right now. Following her would be Quark and Odo. One thing I didn't expect to like was a Ferengi crew member since their other Trek appearances never seemed to indicate much depth to their race plus their look is rather ridiculous but having a sort of criminal and profit seeking station resident has ended up being more entertaining than I thought. It helps with Odo playing the no nonsense lawman and straight man in their cops and robbers routine. It seems to me that the mystery of Odo's race is one the writers are setting up for a payoff down the road and I hope its worth it. After that, I'd probably rank Jake Sisco as the next best character though more for his partnerships with Nog. He hasn't really had much to do in the series so far or been involved in much either but I see him as a second crack at what the writers had wanted to do with Wesley Crusher on TNG and succeeding by not making him some kind of chosen one with Wesley and focusing more on what it would be like for a regular child in this envioronment.

Notice that the best characters so far are pretty much all non-Federation? As for the remaining members, I'd put Chief O'Brian next in line although sometimes he just feels like a Scotty 2.0. Then Dr. Bashir who I'm starting to warm up to a bit from a few recent episodes. Sisco and his odd facial expressions next. Finally, at the bottom, no-personality Dax.

Guess we'll see if the bottom 4 can change things as we progress but, in a positive spin, even though I'm a bit ambivalent towards the Starfleet members, at least I don't hate them or are annoyed by them like some of Voyager's crew. There's still plenty of time to find a way to make them interesting (like Bashir's spy games with the Cardassian tailor) find a way to better characterize them. Right now, I could kind of describe O'Brian and, I guess Bashir's personality and traits if I had to though I'm not sure how accurate the list would be. But I've got nothing on Sisco or Dax and how to write up their personality. With Sisco, I'd be relying a lot on the first episode still along with a bit of the 3 part arc to start S2. With Dax, it's more what others say about her than anything she has really shown. Still, while these characters may not be part of the draw in watching another episode or compel me to watch more of the series, they aren't pushing me away from the series either so they aren't harming anything. I'm just wishing and hoping they can become more than stay neutral. With TNG and Enterprise, I liked all the character so even when an episode focused on one particular member, it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the show unlike Voyager and "Oh no! It's a Chakotay episode! What did I do to deserve this?"
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: March 19, 2017, 05:41:07 AM »
As much as i like Arrow, i get super annoyed every time Mister Terrific is on screen and his hair is braided and then the following daytime its out again (or vice versa).

That takes hours to do, and yet we never see Curtis with a mirror preparing (or even anyone around him capable of doing it). It's a jarring little point thats been a thing ever since he went out into the field.

So, pretty much like every Star Trek series.

Yes in a way, the stories begin to get longer and more arc driven from S2 and the characters stop being reset so much and actually begin to wear their flaws and issues over time. Your view on Garak is largely accurate though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:43:00 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
As much as i like Arrow, i get super annoyed every time Mister Terrific is on screen and his hair is braided and then the following daytime its out again (or vice versa).

That takes hours to do, and yet we never see Curtis with a mirror preparing (or even anyone around him capable of doing it). It's a jarring little point thats been a thing ever since he went out into the field.

Barry got quick braiding skillz. he zips over EVERY TIME, brushes/combs that fro out, greases and braids it super quick. It's also part of Curtis' pain management training. you didn't know!?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »
Legion - I'm not sure if i completely understand the series, but i'm just completely swept away by the incredible set design and production value. Aubrey Plaza as Lenny is on fire.

The Expanse - Avasarala is by far the best character on the show. She's the only character who has her eye on bigger things and will mercilessly cut down anyone who gets in her way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: March 25, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »
I just finished Iron Fist, and I have to say that even though the fights weren't on par w/ DD, the show as a whole was actually pretty solid.

The "White Savior" BS was total BS, and I'm not really seeing where the mass hatred was coming from. I have to admit that I didn't read all of any specific review, and I didn't even glance at most of them, but the overall gist of what I heard they were about now seems pretty unjustified. Maybe I went in with lowered expectations, but I honestly liked the show.
I think it's story was the most consistent w/o any real "filler" episodes (DD, JJ & LC) or crazy tonal shifts halfway through (LC).

It's also set up pretty well for a S2, and I'm kinda looking forward to it. It also possibly does good towards building up a major conflict for The Defenders to address as it touches on a little more of where DD S2 left off with regards to The Hand and whatever their plans are.

I think in the end, there are enough connections as to how everyone will finally come together as well.
*Speculation based on SPOILERS*
Kun Lun was left unguarded and attacked by The Hand, Iron Fist must engage.
DareDevil lost Elektra to The Hand, so he seems pretty motivated to engage, and Stick is probably well aware of the legend of The Iron Fist, so all of them meeting up at some point is likely inevitable.
Claire trying to find a way to help will obviously be the lead in to Luke Cage coming to help. And either through Luke, Claire or Jerri Hogarth (the lawyer), Jessica Jones will be suggested to help track down clues/investigate, and provide a little added muscle.

Obviously I have no idea what the actual plot of The Defenders is, but now I'm certainly looking forward to it a little more than I previously was.

But log story short, Iron Fist was good. I don't get the hate, and I enjoyed the show.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: March 25, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »

Hopefully this will prove why i'm loving the expanse so much (even though insanolord is now fully on board...).

Spoilers for the book 1 (all of season 1 and first third of season 2) in that video. Shohreh Aghdashloo is utterly on fire, and her voice is one of the most enchanting i've ever heard.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: March 26, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
I just finished Iron Fist, and I have to say that even though the fights weren't on par w/ DD, the show as a whole was actually pretty solid.

The "White Savior" BS was total BS, and I'm not really seeing where the mass hatred was coming from. I have to admit that I didn't read all of any specific review, and I didn't even glance at most of them, but the overall gist of what I heard they were about now seems pretty unjustified. Maybe I went in with lowered expectations, but I honestly liked the show.
I think it's story was the most consistent w/o any real "filler" episodes (DD, JJ & LC) or crazy tonal shifts halfway through (LC).

It's also set up pretty well for a S2, and I'm kinda looking forward to it. It also possibly does good towards building up a major conflict for The Defenders to address as it touches on a little more of where DD S2 left off with regards to The Hand and whatever their plans are.

I think in the end, there are enough connections as to how everyone will finally come together as well.

But log story short, Iron Fist was good. I don't get the hate, and I enjoyed the show.

We're about half way through and I agree with you, the show got a bad rap because of the savior BS. So far I am liking the little nods to the previous in-universe plots and characters. I am glad they left it open for a S2 and hope they follow through with it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast