Poll

New Mutants has been DELAYED yet again. When will it come out? Will it ever come out?

It'll get delayed till Summer time
They'll drop it in the October slot for Halloween
Streaming Rental on Disney+ for double the ticket price
It's cursed.... it's never coming out.
Make it a double feature with Black Widow in the Drive Thru's
Right after they do the reshoots... they have time now. lol

Author Topic: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!  (Read 1204996 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!
« Reply #4575 on: July 29, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »
Wasn't it just like two-three years ago that everyone was predicting that theaters were dead and it was the end for them anyway?

Yup.

People thought for a while that Netflix would pull everyone from the theatres.  I personally think the influx of video streaming services will keep people going to the movies, but more than that, there's probably a lot more money to be made in theatrical runs than streaming exclusives or doing day-and-date releases.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
Exactly.

It's similar to the video game crash in '83 (although not as drastic).  Hate Disney all you want, but their billion dollar box office films are putting paying customers in seats, something theaters have been struggling to do for several years now.

If a particular theater chain doesn't like it, they can just not carry Disney movies.  Let them see how mean seats they can fill with Shazam! and John Wick 3 (which has done fairly well, all things considered).

Disney doesn't need theaters.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: July 29, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »
Wasn't it just like two-three years ago that everyone was predicting that theaters were dead and it was the end for them anyway?

It is dying, just not in that way. Fewer and fewer movies are viable with budgets absolutely exploding. I don't watch Disney as they are creatively bankrupt(Deadpool exception). Disney is keeping things afloat monetary for now but no company is invincible and their slice is too big now.

DC is just outright bad movies. A lot of "Product" elsewhere. Very few Nolan/Taratino type/class out there.

Year on year I go watch less and less movies even though I get cheap tickets.

LOL saying Endgame beating Avatar without doing inflation adjustment. What a joke.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4578 on: July 30, 2019, 01:27:58 AM »
The movie experience is expensive and the home experience is more comfortable and cheaper. I only see value in seeing the event movies in the theater. But now every movie seems to try and be an event movie. So I am not even doing that.   

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: July 30, 2019, 01:30:45 AM »
I have seen two movies in the theater this year. Avengers:Endgame and John Wick 3. I would see more, but it's hard to get my friends coordinated to see movies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: July 30, 2019, 01:33:07 AM »
>LOL saying Endgame beating Avatar without doing inflation adjustment. What a joke.

lol saying Avatar beat Gone with the Wind without doing inflation adjustment.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: July 30, 2019, 03:22:22 AM »
Every comparison needs inflation adjustment. Gone with the Wind was crazy with the format that died with the times. The last road show movie I think was The Hateful Eight. I wish I got to see it in that 70mm format. Even on a normal screen it looked crazy good.

The low and mid end are getting squeezed out by event movies. The hype budget can easily be as big if not bigger than the movie. That kind of advertising isn't doable and drowns out everything else. Lots of focus on front loading the views, you don't get the long tail. You smash your first 2 weeks or your done which as a side effect puts out nice looking hype numbers which feeds the cycle.

The sad thing with the Endgame is the double dipping laughable extra materiel re-release they did to crawl over that misconstrued goal. Embarrassing. Plus Avatar has had no lasted cultural impact other than being a punchline.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: July 30, 2019, 03:39:29 AM »

It is dying, just not in that way. Fewer and fewer movies are viable with budgets absolutely exploding.

Jordan Peele seems to have managed it, but you're largely right about the budgets. Westworld and GOT are at 10m/episode, some of the Apple+ stuff is coming in at 15m/episode and Discovery is reported at 8m/ep. But the season lengths are shrinking to British TV levels (maximum 13, commonly 6-8).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:41:43 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: July 30, 2019, 03:55:31 AM »
The shorter season length has been the norm for premium cable dramas for a long time, we're just seeing more of those now and they're much more mainstream. It's actually kind of jarring to go back and watch something like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine now, where it has a lot of the trappings of those kinds of shows but with 25 episodes a season.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: July 30, 2019, 04:26:55 AM »
I don't see theaters going away. There are still plays. There are still live concerts when you can just pop in a record into your turntable. The type of movies people will want to see at a theater will be mostly Tokusatsu. Then after that the works of super directors. Horror will always do pretty well too.

I don't get much extra benefit out of watching RomComs and indy flicks at a theater.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: July 30, 2019, 06:11:18 AM »
The sad thing with the Endgame is the double dipping laughable extra materiel re-release they did to crawl over that misconstrued goal. Embarrassing. Plus Avatar has had no lasted cultural impact other than being a punchline.

Actually, from what i heard, Endgame actually beat Avatar's total before the re-expansion, if you count the Avatar total, before it's re-expansion.
So in actuality, Endgame beat Avatar twice, before and after re-expansion. and in far less than half the time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: July 30, 2019, 07:25:46 AM »
The movie experience is expensive and the home experience is more comfortable and cheaper. I only see value in seeing the event movies in the theater. But now every movie seems to try and be an event movie. So I am not even doing that.   

Yeah, same here. The last film I saw in theaters was Into the Spiderverse, and that was mainly because I wanted to support that film. Haven't gone to the theaters since then, and I don't expect to do so any time soon. There's just nothing in the theaters I want to see that I can't just wait to release on home video. My 55 in. 1080p TV, PS4, bed, and my nearby fridge & microwave provide a far better experience than anything I can get at the theaters in my experience (and for overall a far lower cost).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: July 30, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »
Meanwhile, I just ordered a BluRay of two movies filmed by some random dude in Uganda.  The first has an estimated budget of $85USD.

We've literally never had more options for our entertainment.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: July 30, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
Who Killed Captain Alex?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: July 30, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
The Endgame "re-release" only added like $6 million to its take, if that. And inflation is only part of what needs to go into comparing ticket sales. The movie going audience today is a completely different one than it was when Gone with the Wind came out, or even Avatar. Endgame was selling out for days.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: July 30, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »
Who Killed Captain Alex?

Yes.  Saw a review on it and it looks like a ton of fun.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: August 04, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »
Disney's Box Office Billions Update:

Toy Story 4, it's only a matter of weeks.
Dumbo (and Penguins), the sole **** up so far this year.

and if it could be counted into the total..... (since Marvel made it)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:27:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: August 06, 2019, 02:29:29 AM »
COMMANDO COMMANDO COMMANDO.

Fell out of my proverbial seat when Captain Alex's when is turning down women by stating he is gay. It is such a weird non-sequitur in a movie that is already out there.

You just can't tell what is intentional.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: August 09, 2019, 01:46:04 AM »
Sony moving full steam ahead with the Spider-Man-less Spider-Marvel verse.
https://deadline.com/2019/08/spider-man-universe-tv-series-details-christopher-miller-phil-lord-sony-pictures-tv-1202663810/

Lord & Miller working on a mix of animated and Live Action shows based on Spider-Man license that Sony holds. This is in collab with SonyTV, not Sony Pictures, so keep an open mind. My interest is piqued.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4594 on: August 09, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
Are they trying for an Arrow-verse-like product?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: August 12, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »
As part of Disney's continued efforts to purge anything that threatens their increasingly-homogenous lineup, they have canceled nearly 300 films Fox had at various stages of production. Notable titles include a Mega Man movie, a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen reboot, a 2nd Assassin's Creed film, a Flash Gordon reboot, a Magic the Gathering film (for some reason), and a Fraggle Rock movie.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-fox-xmen-marvel-studio-losses-1203294296/

A list of the projects Fox had in development:

https://imgur.com/a/dKxcoRv

Make no mistake: there's a lot of crap in there, but there's also some stuff I would have seen. I didn't hate the 1st Assassin's Creed film, so I'd be interested in seeing a 2nd. After all, the first game in the series was awful, while the 2nd turned out amazingly well. I'd also have been interested in seeing what Fox would have done with the Mega Man franchise, considering Capcom's own efforts to create anything outside the actual games have been pathetic. Seeing Fraggle Rock on that list was certainly a surprise.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: August 12, 2019, 11:13:32 PM »
I remember hearing about some of those you just mentioned a while back.

But Disney needs to flush what it can, and then reevaluate the stuff that floats back to the top.

I'm sure Disney will somehow Fraggle v Muppets
some of those may turn up D+ or Hulu at some point. But any resources being used to develop all the crap is almost cause enough to just kill it all and sort it out later.
restructuring gotta happen at some point.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: August 12, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »
I wonder what's going to become of that Dragon's Lair movie, because that was an extension of an Indiegogo campaign. If that was really going to come out in 2020, then that should already be REALLY far along (since it's animation). I wonder if Don Bluth would be able to salvage it and pitch the remainder of the work to another distributor.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: August 13, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »
I'm inclined to think 80-90% of that never would have made it out the door had FOX remained solvent.

Ohh.. a Play-doh movie.  I imagine some corporate exec seeing how well the LEGO Movie did and being all "Yeah, let's throw money chasing that."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: August 16, 2019, 03:25:50 AM »
I'd watch a play doh movie

my first upload to Youtube in 2006:

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post