Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321840 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: All Things Netflix! Thread of Recommendations and Request
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »
The biggest problem with everyone critiquing things is the all or nothing approach the common reviewer takes, either its totally good or totally bad. Theres no middle ground, no grey,  its all black and white and that's so annoying.

Movie going is about the experience as it is about the movie itself. The movie needs to pull you in and take you away. Bad CG is not only a sign of poor execution of the art, but also questions anyone involved who allowed the scene to remain in the film. Poor execution also destroys the suspension of disbelief, hence ruining the experience of the film. When I watched Green Lantern, there were multiple, multiple scenes that took me out of the movie. Poor CG was a part of that, along with a substandard story and awkward acting.

And this holds for any movie. Which is why I despise the 'changes' to the original Star Wars movies. You can't hide the added CG effects against the original film grain, the changes in the story affect the development of characterization, and the weeding out of imperfections only enhance other imperfections that can't be corrected.

A bad movie is a bad movie, though a bad movie can have a good story, or great special effects.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2011, 04:59:53 AM »
see, though the star wars thing, I see those as separate editions. I watched Star Wars when I was 4 and then never saw it again till I was 13, because I didn't remember anything about it, the added special effects didn't bother me. Now I understand Star Wars is a holy grail for some and I to some extant see why all the hate, but actually there are a few movies that could use some Director Cut treatment, these are usually movies that the studio really fucked over an ultimately were poorly received by everyone.  Like say Batman and Robin, terrible movie. Joel Schumacher gets so much **** for it, and its really hurt his career, but this guy has a mostly solid resume and he's won awards since that movie. He's mostly known for dark and intelligent movies. Idk, some CGI changes here and there, some lines cut, specifically cut from Mr. Freeze, then it might not be so bad, actually, if you made it a silent film it would be decent, I actually thought visually it works. The plot was total balls though. Even if it wasn't a silent film if you changed the music. For every studio film made there are miles of unused takes, and it would be interesting from an editing perspective to go through and re-cut the movie. Say a take took 10 times, and each time the actor took it back over the top, what would all the first takes be like if it was reasonable subdued? What if you took some random stunt man and put him in the batsuit, put motion tracking dots on his face, filmed this awesome fight scene in front of a green screen, and then took Clooney's mouth and put it on the stunt mans, and created this wicked Sin City style set. I've always been interested in the special edition. I've always wanted to film a movie with multiple intros, multiple endings, because I like to see that. Books and Video Games get to do this, why can't movies? Home video has made this that much more possible. You should always have the option to watch the original release version though.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
"How its Made" is on Netflix I didn't know and now I'm back working though its like 143 episodes.  Its a show about how things are manufactured.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
I have a questions for everyone.

My girl wants me to watch Gossip Girl with her.

I've made her sit through countless shows with me, and for the most part they have all been good. I didn't force her to sit through anything she thought was stupid and would instead watch it on my own. Now she ask me to watch Gossip Girl with her....

I figured it's only fair to sit through one show with her, and I have already sorta watched the first 2 episodes.

So my question is, is this a good show?

Wrong question. I've been forced to see SEASONS of Sex n' the titties. And the real question is, how often can you make fun of it? Cuz that's the only way you're going to enjoy it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
I've seen the entire series of sex and the city (in order :() plus the first movie....

I've turned down sex in favor of protecting whats left of my sanity and not going to see the 2nd movie too. I just couldn't take any more of it.

Gossip Girl doesn't seem that bad...
Atleast the ALL women are somewhat attractive

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
You poor, poor bastard...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Most of the series was with one GF, the rest and the movie was with another....

Most of the series was passively watching, but i was right there while the entire thing played. I know what was going on and who all the characters are. She would pause it when I left, restart when I came back... there was no escape.

As for the movie... well, that was sort of a "gotta get in it one last time" date with a psuedo ex. Not sure if the movie was worth it all in the end.

I have a different GF now...
she wants me to watch Gossip Girl

Do we see a pattern I should be concerned about?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »
Yes. After that bullshit with Sex n' the city, never again. I decided to become more selfish and you should to.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »
there comes a time when a man has to put his foot down, thats sex and the city. This one girl i was dating was like "Sex in the City" is my favorite show via facebook chat, and I was like "you're spelling it wrong"

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
Do we see a pattern I should be concerned about?

Yeah, find women with better taste. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
Back when the first Sex and the City movie was a few months from release I was dating a girl who owned the entire series on DVD and she was hyped up to **** about the movie.  She talked about the show a lot and about how great it was and how much I would love it (showing her complete misunderstanding of male tastes) but by some magic fluke she never ended up showing me an episode.  We broke up before the movie came out and one of the first things I thought off was "hey, I don't have to see that stupid movie now!"

Earlier this year my then-girlfriend dragged me to see Fast Five.  The sheer offensive stupidity of that movie was such that it was a factor in our break up mere weeks later.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
Fast Five was good.

Maybe you would've liked Sex in the City  afterall.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2011, 02:32:10 AM »
but your girlfriend didn't direct or star in the movie......if you payed for that **** then yeah, i could understand.

speaking of terrible movies i just have an astounding prejudice for....Transformers 2 & 3. I can't be bothered to explain in depth or describe how fucking stupid they are, but they have really good special effects.

Fast Five, I couldn't get in to Fast and Furious. So I doubt I could get into Fast Five. Of the series I enjoyed the First one and Tokyo Drift. Fast Six might take place in London and have Jason Statham, which might make it interesting.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »
You just want another transporter movie.

The "Fast" movies would have been better than acceptable(At least the first one) if the car work was done by the late John Frankenheimer of Ronin and 1966 Grand Prix fame. The guy really knew his car chases, but a bit weak relatively with some of his other elements and absolutely no skill with CGI.

The later Fast movies were CGI messes. I might as well had watched Forza Lets Plays.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2011, 01:41:11 AM »
I loved Fast Five, well worth seeing. Better on the big screen though since it looks better on the huge screen and the nice audio of a theatre. The only movie in the series I had seen before was the first one (which I thought was OK).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
If you like the Supernatural, like crime drama and love to look at hot women, and looking for a new TV show to watch, I will suggest The Gates

Exclusive Gated Community for a wealthy group of individuals that all respect their privacy and seek to stay protected form the rest of the world now have a new Sheriff after their old one has retired. The thing is, this Sheriff has no idea what he is getting himself into as lots of the Community are not as they seem. There are Vampires, Werewolves, Witches and more in this town, and they are all doing their best to just coincide peacefully without outting who they really are to the regular people.

If I had to compare this show to other existing shows that you might have already seen;
Eureka + True Blood + Desperate Housewives = an awesome Supernatural Crime Drama that hopefully gets some life breathed back into it.

It only lasted 1 season and is 13 episodes long. Aired last summer on ABC and sadly suffered from poor ratings, but I still enjoyed it and would still recommend it. Too bad I had never heard of it until a few days ago when Netflix recommended it to me at random.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »
I'm done with The Gates.
Just finished Dresden Files.
Surprising kinda into Gossip Girl (don't judge me), but only watching it with my girl.
finished Ugly Americans

tonite is a slow night for TV (Sons of Anarchy & Raising Hope)

so I need a new show. I'd prefer something SciFi or Supernatural with drama.
I'm not interested in BSG or Dr. Who (although I used to watch Dr. Who alot when I was young).

Is Vampire Diaries any good? It's in my queue for some reason.

How about The Tudors? that is also in my queue.

Any suggestions? Anything good really.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Why aren't you interested in Battlestar Galactica? It's easily the best sci-fi show of the last decade. The ending kind of sucked, but it's still definitely worth watching.

Another sci-fi show worth looking at is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which is available in its entirety on Netflix Instant. It's quite different from other Trek shows, and has aged incredibly well. It was really ahead of its time, and has a lot in common with modern cable dramas, with a large cast of really well-written characters and a lot of long-term serialized storytelling. It starts out a little slow, but it gets really great. I'd pick it as my favorite sci-fi show ever.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
Another sci-fi show worth looking at is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which is available in its entirety on Netflix Instant.

Eh, I always thought that it was easily the worst part of the entire franchise. It was sadly little more than a repurposed Babylon 5. While there are certainly a few standout episodes, it felt generally slow and plodding. Star Trek with no, y'know, trekking? I even went back and rewatched it all last year, over the span of a few weeks. I can't help but describe the majority of the characters as plain and boring though. Most of them get especially ridiculous toward the end of the show, following a dismal sequence of war stories. At least Enterprise picked itself back up after stumbling over its similarly conceived Xindi plot line.

Watch it only after you've already exhausted all other Star Trek material. If you're still hungry for more at that point, DS9 just might be enough to scratch a bit of that itch. Better yet, watch the entire franchise chronologically. That way you would get a mix of TNG, VOY, and DS9 without getting burnt out on the melodrama that takes place on Terok Nor. :P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:12:03 PM by Morari »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
Don't watch all of TNG. That show by and large does not hold up. I have no idea how you can say that it's better than DS9. Voyager's underrated, and I'd argue better than most of TNG, but nowhere near as good as DS9.

The whole Dominion War arc is one of the best things Star Trek has ever produced. The writing on DS9 is on a level that, out of the 23 non-DS9 seasons of Star Trek, only the fourth season of Enterprise even comes close to. I would put season 3 or 4 onward of Deep Space 9 in the same league as any great show currently on television that's not Breaking Bad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
Enterprise actually got good?

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
The third season was good. The fourth season was amazing. Great writing, just the right amount of fan service.

It's also on Netflix. All seasons of all Star Trek shows are now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
The third season was good. The fourth season was amazing. Great writing, just the right amount of fan service.

The fourth season was amazing, and was exactly what the show initially promised to deliver. I have to disagree with the third season, however. I almost stopped watching the show entirely because of the Xindi Arch that filled every episode. It was like a terrible flashback to DS9. :P

I think that TNG holds up perfectly well outside of perhaps the first couple of seasons. Even then, it's still entirely watchable, it's just obvious that the characters have yet to really "settle in". Voyager was awfully cheesy at times, but was a joy to watch nonetheless. Besides, the Doctor is easily one of the franchise's best characters.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:03:20 PM by Morari »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
I should add that I am also not interested in Star Trek. any version of the show.
not BSG and no StarGate.

Looking for something else. I was thinking about maybe checking out Warehouse 13 or something along those lines, but I don't know if that's on Netflix right now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Why not?

J.P. Corbran