NWR Interactive > Podcast Discussion

RFN RetroActive Game Nominations

<< < (92/115) > >>

oohhboy:
Infinite Space isn't a strategy game, not really. It's mostly a JRPG. Instead of team members, you have Spaceships. No job system, but an officer/duty station. Ship components instead of inventory.

I have Lost Kingdoms 2 and if LK 1 is anything like it, I can't recommend it. The concept is cool, but the execution has much to be desired. The randomness of the cards and having to rely on an inadequate AI to fight for you was just a disaster.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: oohhboy on March 29, 2012, 01:21:41 AM ---I have Lost Kingdoms 2 and if LK 1 is anything like it, I can't recommend it. The concept is cool, but the execution has much to be desired. The randomness of the cards and having to rely on an inadequate AI to fight for you was just a disaster.

--- End quote ---

Which is what makes a discussion of the game (Lost Kingdoms 2) interesting.  I personally enjoyed the title (at the time, there really weren't better options for a Role-Playing Gamer on the GameCube), but it's interesting both from the perspective of its flaws and as a look at a moment in the gaming industry when everything was moving to revolving around cards in some form or fashion.

Plus, it was one of those rare games where you could actually import your Lost Kingdoms 1 save if you had one and fight for the right to all your old cards.  It could be interesting discussion with some fun moments of James just randomly screaming about minutia that irks him.  Plus, unlike most of the RPGs that end up on the feature, it's a pretty short game at around 20 hours or so so completion's actually a pretty attainable goal.  It's also a fitting companion game as a lead-in to a Baten Kaitos Origins discussion, as both revolve around cards being a critical part of gameplay.

It's a flawed game to be sure, but hey you guys once chose frickin' Ninja Spirit as a RetroActive game once, and that was a far worse game.

TJ Spyke:
That one was funny, I think people picked it just to hear the discussion on it. IIRC, they said it wasn't a bad game, just that there wasn't really enough to talk about on a RetroActive discussion.

oohhboy:
When I said the concept was cool, it pretty much boiled down to "Land Sharks". Flawed is not the word I would use to describe LK2, "Regret" is the word I would use. It's the only GC game I regret buying. It's just a collection of gameplay ideas bolted together with little to no thought. I just can't recommend a bad game.

If you want an example of a flawed game, I would suggest Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3, Rebel Strike. What should have been a really solid game kneecapped by one gameplay idea. But it isn't really good for a retroactive since there just isn't that much to discuss about it.

Fatty The Hutt:
Zack and Wiki? It was largely overlooked. Not exactly "retro" tho, I suppose

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version