Author Topic: E3 2014 - California Dreamin'  (Read 3434 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
E3 2014 - California Dreamin'
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

Three regulars and special guest TYP join forces in one room to digest more E3 games, our favorite announcements, and those little moments on the floor that can only happen at gaming's biggest event.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/37811/e3-2014-california-dreamin

Knowing that Guillaume, Lindy, and Greg would do an awesome job for the E3 Home Team edition of RFN, we had to step up our game and do something really special for the week's wrap-up by James and Jonny. Our solution was to hop in special guest TYP's car and head up to beautiful Santa Barbara for a podcast date with Jon Lindemann, who pull the trick of being on both episodes, back-to-back! Though our visit to Jon's new home was all too short, we made sure to devote the afternoon to recording this podcast live and in person, a very rare treat considering it had been over two years since any of us got to hang out with him!

Circumventing the usual Skype barrier allows the conversation to be more dense than normal, so we run through a huge list of games and topics that is too extensive to simply list here. That's why we have related content links on the sidebar of these articles, so use that handy list to find further coverage (including hands-on impressions in many cases) of the games discussed in this jam-packed episode.

Thanks for all your anticipation, participation, and appreciation of all the E3 coverage from RFN and the entire Nintendo World Report staff! In case you missed the daily video entries hosted by James and filmed/edited by our good friend Jared Rosenberg, please do check them out below! The videos also feature Jonny, TYP, and all the other NWR staff who attended this year's E3, and topics include a few games that we didn't get into for this wrap-up show. Finally, don't forget to gather up your thoughts about this exciting week and send an email to help us keep digging deep on the topics that matter!

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2014 - California Dreamin'
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »
Fun fact! Will Wright was inspired by the look of the original A-train on Macintosh, and designed SimCity 2000 after it!

Offline AwesomeUnicorn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:23:54 AM »
The Wooly World graphics are actually sharp enough that a Nintendo knitting group I'm in has reverse engineered a stitch perfect pattern for the chain chomp ball Yoshi pushes around in the demo.  Now to knit up my own Wooly World diorama...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:25:29 AM »
Though part of the Zelda trailer might have been cutscene,  they did say it was in engine.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
I think Hyrule Warriors in Sep Nintendo is betting on being big.  Even though it looks pretty mediocre I wouldn't be surprised if it sells better than you would expect this fall.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
For it to sell better than I expect I would need to have some degree of expectation for its sales. At present, I find the entire thing unpredictable. Wii U game in the post-MK8/pre-SSB world for a console series with virtually no history on Nintendo platforms, cloaked in one of their major brands.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:04:54 AM »
Axiom Verge story is pure gold.
Reggie should have used his flower power-up there.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »
Fun fact! Will Wright was inspired by the look of the original A-train on Macintosh, and designed SimCity 2000 after it!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L3pRUb7_VQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
Love the Reggie Story.  He seems like he'd be a great guy to grab a beer with.  It just makes me wish that he was given a bigger leash to direct Western game releases and third party agreements.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »
Can the GameCube controller be used for any game that supports the Pro Controller?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
No, I don't think so. GC controllers only input through that USB adapter, which makes them a special case and likely requires a different input protocol that will have to be specially implemented in each compatible game. For that reason, I wouldn't expect the adapter to work for anything except Smash and GameCube Virtual Console, if that ever happens.

If you want a GC-style controller with wider compatibility, look into the PDP "wireless" controller that will plug into a Wii Remote. I believe that one uses the protocol for Wii Classic Controller, which is supported by many Wii U games and tons of Wii games (including all Virtual Console). I've heard there are also unofficial adapters to plug a real GC controller into a Wii Remote for a similar capability.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!