Author Topic: StreetPassing in North America: Success or Failure?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
StreetPassing in North America: Success or Failure?
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »

StreetPassing ain't easy, but there might be good days ahead.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/26318

When Nintendo announced StreetPass back at E3 2010, it seemed like a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, there is a harsh reality for the service outside of Japan, specifically North America: our culture makes things such as this nearly worthless. In Japan, the concept of StreetPass is likely mind-blowing, especially as the system gains more traction. Their commuter culture makes for a wonderful way to swap data. But in North America, it has a large potential to fall flat. Outside of kids on school buses, who the hell else is going to use this feature often?

Just look back at the similar modes in Dragon Quest IX, Pokémon Black/White, and Nintendogs. How often did you pass by someone with that game? The only DQIX maps I obtained were at a Best Buy event and New York Comic-Con. Now, 3DS does something right by making StreetPass easy to access. Instead of going into the game and setting up a specific setting, it's always on when you have your system on. Still, I don't see how I'll pass by fellow StreetPass-ers unless I start hounding school playgrounds or large college campuses. Will my StreetPass exchanging be limited to planned encounters with friends and a few conventions a year? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Well, from carrying my 3DS throughout most of my daily routine, I've netted about 10 StreetPasses through normal means. I've gotten hits from random people in malls, GameStop/Best Buy demos, and even at local non-gaming-specific events around my area. Considering this system is young, that is not too shabby considering that I don't live in a major metropolitan area (though New Jersey is more densely populated than, I believe, every other state).

Super Street Fighter IV 3D's StreetPass mode

However, I doubled my StreetPass total on Friday at the debut StreetPass Princeton event, which is fortunately nearby where I live. The event, which lasted for four hours and featured contests and giveaways, had 20 attendees. There are tons of these things sprouting up around the world. Hell, StreetPass New York City is walking for AIDS today. We're not even two months into the system's life and these events are hosting more than 20 people at a time. These aren't gigantic numbers, but they are enough to deem each event a success. If you're bemoaning your lack of StreetPasses, check out StreetPass Network for events near you. If there isn't anything, make your own event. There are likely more people in your boat than you think.

Every month, 3DS system sales will grow, and with that growth, there will be more and more potential StreetPass-ers. Just wait until a game like Pokémon comes out and uses the concept in a more interactive manner. At the launch of the 3DS, I thought StreetPassing would be pointless, more of a sad footnote in the history of the 3DS. My reservations aren't wiped away, but I'm more optimistic than I was before.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: StreetPassing in North America: Success or Failure?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »
I haven't had a single hit yet. I feel so alone. I'm definetly going to have to check out this StreetPass network thing.

Offline Tween20

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Got my first two Street Passes today (walking for AIDS in New York, but I must have missed the whole group unless there were only two of them).  So excited!  I now realize I need a catchier greeting phrase.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:08:56 PM »
Something like Spotpass would work better in the west of Nintendo integrated it iinto whatever online service they are going to make available for the Super Wii since more people interact via the internet here in the west then in person.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
I live in the suburbs of Delaware & I don't use public transportation to get around. I'm pretty certain that I'll link up with next to no one once I get a 3DS.
Mission...complete?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
I have carry my 3DS in my pocket almost constantly since launch and I have 4 Streetpasses.  I honestly get more use out of the Pedometer, though I do witch you could zoom to the minute.  I think its a good idea and I like the implementation where you go in the game set it up once and you don't need the game anymore for it to do its thing.   Though I put it as a feature as the Pedometer.  If you are carrying your 3DS because of it then I think you can consider it a success.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
I know I'm probably an exception here, but I've had huge success with StreetPass so far. After getting my launch-day 3DS, I've had around 70 hits from 50 different people.  It helps I live outside of Boston, take the subway nearly every day for work, and am a teacher at two separate colleges.  (NWR_Lindy, you're missing valuable StreetPassing opportunities! Join us!) And I must say, for those lucky enough to be in a good environment for this sort of thing, it is a super-cool feature. I still get a thrill when I peek inside my bag and see that beautiful green light glowing on my system.  And the included games, simple as they are, become quite addictive and are a nice pay-off for after you pass someone. If you live in middle-Arkansas...  I'm sorry. But for those in commuter-heavy cities or college campuses, this is a bit of genius from the mad scientists in Kyoto.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Journeys

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
I live south of Boston and got only 1 (guy working at a Target store).  I guess part of the trick here is public transportation and schools.  Neither or which I am associated heavily with.  I did bring it to my son's graduation at Amherst this weekend and got nothing...same with bringing it to pick up my other kid at high school...nothing (she won't bring it to school yet...doesn't want to lose it).  That last bit is another reason it may be a bit challenging...this is rather an expensive device for 'kids' to bringing to school.

But Pax and NYCC is on the horizon.  If my Dragon Quest experience holds I should be loaded with 100's of hits when I go there.  Its just to bad its not more part of my daily bit.

Is there a web site that someone is coordinating all these StreetPass events?  If not, this site would be well suited for doing that...no?  Nintendo should sponsor this type of activity.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
I just checked Journeys and I found this site.
http://streetpassnetwork.com/

It seems to be the main hub for streetpass event activity.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Why couldn't this had  been posted last week... Their was a Nashville event this weekend that I missed...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ryan Cannon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
I've have my 3DS for about a month now, and just now finally pasted someone at my local target, it was the most exciting moment I've ever had with it...
Normal people don't affect me...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
3DS in North America: Mild Success or Utter Failure?
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »
I've have my 3DS for about a month now, and just now finally pasted someone at my local target, it was the most exciting moment I've ever had with it...

How sad is that?

Nintendo, 3DS needs software NOW!!!
this is ridiculous.

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
It's rare for me to get a Street Pass even when going to a packed movie theater on a Saturday night.

I hope these Street Pass events continue to take off, it's hard to believe there isn't a dedicated Dallas one yet.
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
I take my 3DS to campus every day (Berkeley) and haven't gotten a single hit, despite walking by crowds of thousands of people, college students. I see people playing DS fairly regularly, but not 3DS. I've been to several public events (non-gaming) and nada, though I don't spend time in places like malls. The only hits I've gotten are a few random ones in San Francisco, and from game press events. Heck, the last time I went for the Zelda demo, none of the Nintendo employees even had their 3DSes with them, and I didn't get a single StreetPass exchange. I don't need an artificial event to get StreetPass hits, that kills a lot of the purpose and intrigue behind the system. Things will undoubtedly get better once there are actual games out, but right now, the system is a failure.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
I take my 3DS to campus every day (Berkeley) and haven't gotten a single hit, despite walking by crowds of thousands of people, college students. I see people playing DS fairly regularly, but not 3DS. I've been to several public events (non-gaming) and nada, though I don't spend time in places like malls. The only hits I've gotten are a few random ones in San Francisco, and from game press events. Heck, the last time I went for the Zelda demo, none of the Nintendo employees even had their 3DSes with them, and I didn't get a single StreetPass exchange. I don't need an artificial event to get StreetPass hits, that kills a lot of the purpose and intrigue behind the system. Things will undoubtedly get better once there are actual games out, but right now, the system is a failure.
Though the question is, if you weren't thinking about Streetpass would you have brought your 3DS with you?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:07 PM »
Though the question is, if you weren't thinking about Streetpass would you have brought your 3DS with you?

The problem is that you shouldn't have to think about Street Pass to want to bring your 3DS with you. You should be traveling with it because there are GAMES you want to play on the go. 3DS has no games (outside of SSFIV) that really warrant the price tag at this point.

Street Pass is that extra surprise you get for taking the 3DS out with you to play those games.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
My success has been lukewarm. I went out of my way for Demo units (turning on the wireless in several of them) and I got lucky and got a guy working at gamestop once. The only 'real' time I got a street pass was when I went to a RANGERS baseball game against the yankees. It was actually a very attractive girl and I have no clue when it happened I just had it in my pocket during the entire game. So in full baseball stadium walking around I only got 1 hit.

Sadly the 'picture panels' have been almost impossible to get. Demo units don't give me any, and I only got a single additional panel so I have two complete panels.

I am happy that streetpass is easy and not that stressful to the battery, and it will be a surprise when it actually happens. I really wish the panels were more guaranteed.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 08:40:49 PM »
I just checked Journeys and I found this site.
http://streetpassnetwork.com/

It seems to be the main hub for streetpass event activity.

I linked to that site and mentioned it in the article. :)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
Oh well I guess I didn't really read the article just the comments.My bad.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
My success has been lukewarm. I went out of my way for Demo units (turning on the wireless in several of them) and I got lucky and got a guy working at gamestop once. The only 'real' time I got a street pass was when I went to a RANGERS baseball game against the yankees. It was actually a very attractive girl and I have no clue when it happened I just had it in my pocket during the entire game. So in full baseball stadium walking around I only got 1 hit.

Sadly the 'picture panels' have been almost impossible to get. Demo units don't give me any, and I only got a single additional panel so I have two complete panels.

I am happy that streetpass is easy and not that stressful to the battery, and it will be a surprise when it actually happens. I really wish the panels were more guaranteed.

You can get actual pictures of people in street pass? I thought it was just Miis.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »

You can get actual pictures of people in street pass? I thought it was just Miis.

the girls mii looked cute