Author Topic: Microsoft Buying Land From Nintendo  (Read 2702 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Microsoft Buying Land From Nintendo
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:44:06 PM »
An unused portion of the NOA campus will soon be a car park for its next-door competition.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13761

Reports are coming in from Seattle that Microsoft has struck a deal with Nintendo of America to purchase a vacant 28-acre site that lies just across the street to the north of NOA's existing headquarters.  The price of the sale will not be known until the deal closes and the records of the transaction become public toward the end of this month.  Microsoft's immediate plans for the newly acquired land will be to use it as parking space to help alleviate crowding in nearby Microsoft parking garages.    

Talking to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Perrin Kaplan, NOA VP of marketing and corporate affairs, said that the land "had been an unused asset for some time, and it just made good business sense for us to go ahead and sell it."  She also said that the sale was unrelated to the upcoming move of Nintendo's PR departments to New York and San Francisco.  In fact, NOA is planning to increase the number of employees in their Redmond headquarters due to expansion in other internal departments.    

Nintendo still owns other properties in the Seattle area, so it still has room for physical expansion of its campus if the company feels it is necessary in the future.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline AManatee2

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Microsoft Buying Land From Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:24 PM »
well idn't that nifty.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »
This story would have been much better if it dryly referenced the sale of Rare the entire time.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Microsoft Buying Land From Nintendo
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »
Microsoft really needs that for parking, their parking lot is almost always full of people.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:26:25 PM »
I would love the story to speculate what Nintendo is going with the money they just got from Microsoft.  (Probably going to be a wash with their move, but still)

Other fun headlines:

In other news...Nintendo has bought majority shares in [Insert major Japanese company here:  Example: Capcom]
Or
In other news, Microsoft has just funded Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 entire development costs.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 01:46:37 PM »
No land for peace!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »
This is peace in our time.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
The value of that land is supposed to be about $28 million, and basically just a swamp (check NeoGAF to see pictures that somebody who lives in the area took of it), so Nintendo really benefitted from this (just like they did when they got $375 million for Rare).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:13:58 PM »
they can buy some HD graffix for Wii
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
Now seriously, I thought just about everyone knew MS had been eying the property Nintendo owned but had no use for.  This wasn't really a surprise to me.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
This story would have been much better if it dryly referenced the sale of Rare the entire time.