Author Topic: Episode 552: I See You've Been a Bit Better  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 552: I See You've Been a Bit Better
« on: December 22, 2017, 04:01:31 AM »

Good occupation making that go.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/46082/episode-552-i-see-youve-been-a-bit-better

Jon is out for this episode, our last of the year, but we soldier on without him. Greg kicks off New Business with Rive, the shoot-em-up recently released on Switch. Two Tribes' final game was a strongly-reviewed send-off. He also gives an update on Splatoon 2's new mode, Clam Blitz. Collect clams, get footballs, score points? It's a uniquely complicated mode for Splatoon. Guillaume is taking advantage of his time off to dive into a JRPG - Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The PS2 classic lacks some of the polish of its successors, and it's taking Gui out of the experience. James wraps up New Business with a detailed update on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Yes, he's still playing it. He's over 130 hours in. Pray for him.

After the break, it's time for Listener Mail. This week we tackle a duo of emails. First up, we create some "Collection" titles for Switch. In our second email, we name our 2017 Wii U Game of the Year. You can send us nominees for Nintendo DS Game of the Year via our inbox.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 552: I See You've Been a Bit Better
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:16:14 PM »
Lament of Innocence in Japan wasn't called "Akumajou Dracula", bur rather just "Castlevania".

there's also the Sharp X68000  game which is just "Akumajou Dracula", just like the NES and N64 game.

Or Castlevania: The Arcade, which in promotional material was just called "Castlevania" or "Akumajou Dracula"

Thankfully, the Pachislot games seem to actually be called Pachislot Akumajou Dracula, Pachislot Akumajou Dracula, and Erotic Violence: Akumajou Dracula.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:13:15 AM »
Good show.

Have a happy and safe holidays!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Hmm... Why did And Yet It Moves sell better on Wii than Chasing Aurora did on Wii U?

One has a meaningful single-player mode, one doesn't. One had a large install base, one didn't. One felt like a an art project that was accessible enough for others to appreciate, the other felt like a passion project that didn't easily give away it's true value easily.

Without being too subtle, it's no surprise that one sold much better than the other.

--

WiiWare suggestions for the next retroactive:
* Fluidity - There is a 3DS game with the same branding, but it's a very different (and in my opinion, much less enjoyable) experience. Do this one! It deserves more attention than it got!
* Bonsai Barber - Not really something I recommend, but it's weird and unique and won't live on beyond WiiWare. Not as weird as Let's Catch, but can you really talk about Let's Catch without also discussing Let's Tap - or at least listening to the theme song?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
Hey Greg i always wondered.

How did you get so into american football being from the UK?

Just curious. Also is the sport picking up steam over there or is it really difficult to find other fans of the sport?

I'm not a huge football fan i'm a bball fan but just curious. I'm from LA.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »
Hmm... Why did And Yet It Moves sell better on Wii than Chasing Aurora did on Wii U?

One has a meaningful single-player mode, one doesn't. One had a large install base, one didn't. One felt like a an art project that was accessible enough for others to appreciate, the other felt like a passion project that didn't easily give away it's true value easily.

Without being too subtle, it's no surprise that one sold much better than the other.

The dev was referring to sales just in the month of November 2017, where And Yet It Moves is one of those games that will get way harder to find while Chasing Aurora is on a dead store that hasn't had its dead cat bounce yet.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 10:08:07 PM »
The dev was referring to sales just in the month of November 2017, where And Yet It Moves is one of those games that will get way harder to find while Chasing Aurora is on a dead store that hasn't had its dead cat bounce yet.

Ah, that makes sense.

Probably worth noting that And Yet It Moves will still be cheap and easy to find on PC going forward, even though the WiiWare version is arguably the best version. I think the change to allow partial rotation using the Wii remote is a fantastic improvement over the base game - even though some levels weren't necessarily design with this in mind.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 03:45:03 AM »

Just curious. Also is the sport picking up steam over there or is it really difficult to find other fans of the sport?

I'm not a huge football fan i'm a bball fan but just curious. I'm from LA.

Mmmm the world will never know.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »

The NFL was first broadcast on British TV shortly before I was born in the early 1980s; my older brother was a kid at the time and he became a huge fan of the Chicago Bears. Once I was old enough to have some sort of vague appreciation for the sport, he encouraged me to pick my own team to support; the Bills at that time were running a no-huddle offense very successfully, I thought they looked cool, and the rest is history.

NFL fandom seems a fair bit more commonplace here today than it was back in the 1990s, presumably because of the transformation of the media landscape over that time helping to provide much more exposure for the sport, especially online.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »

The NFL was first broadcast on British TV shortly before I was born in the early 1980s; my older brother was a kid at the time and he became a huge fan of the Chicago Bears. Once I was old enough to have some sort of vague appreciation for the sport, he encouraged me to pick my own team to support; the Bills at that time were running a no-huddle offense very successfully, I thought they looked cool, and the rest is history.

NFL fandom seems a fair bit more commonplace here today than it was back in the 1990s, presumably because of the transformation of the media landscape over that time helping to provide much more exposure for the sport, especially online.

I'm in a bad place where I was born a year or two after the Bears' dominance, yet, because I'm a native to the Chicagoland area, I've had to grow up around people who go apeshit for the bears, even as they go 3-14 or whatever the hell their abysmal record is this season.

That being said, being both physically impaired child and one who's mind was elsewhere, most sports didn't catch my eye. Heck, even when attitude Era WWF rolled around, I wasn't convinced right away because I thought it was dumb sports and random violence rather than performance art.

... that being said, Vinnie Mac is trying to get into american football again, or so word on the street is.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »

Awesome. All these years loved listening to you guys and your football talk and always wondered how you got into it. Thanks!