Author Topic: Smash Bros, Other Bandai Namco Titles In Development For NX?  (Read 9470 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros, Other Bandai Namco Titles In Development For NX?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 04:09:21 PM »
I actually wonder if we'll be seeing a lot of enhanced re-releases of Wii U games instead of a straight Wii U VC, assuming such a VC would be possible. I get the feeling that Nintendo feel the Wii U and its games should have sold better, so they'll want to give them second chances, and they are probably games that could still sell at or close to full retail prices.

Not that I'd want this, but yeah, would not be surprised at all to see it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
It would be an easy way to supplement their lineup and prevent full on droughts.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »
I actually wonder if we'll be seeing a lot of enhanced re-releases of Wii U games instead of a straight Wii U VC, assuming such a VC would be possible. I get the feeling that Nintendo feel the Wii U and its games should have sold better, so they'll want to give them second chances, and they are probably games that could still sell at or close to full retail prices.

Not that I'd want this, but yeah, would not be surprised at all to see it.

I'm sure Nintendo could easily crank out a couple of extra levels for 3D World and do a re-release.  Hell, they might as well do a "Mario Galaxy HD" with 1 and 2 on disc and DLC galaxies.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline alexdickdyke

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
How bout a Sega X Bandai Namco rpg?
Sonic and Tales and Friends.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:53 PM »
Tales of Tails

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 03:44:28 PM »
I like the idea of more HD remakes and remasters but only to get those old games badly needed facelifts, not at all as padding for a thin line up or an excuse to cover up droughts.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »
Can't have one without the other.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
My opinion of padding the NX with Wii U Remakes depends a lot on the intent from Nintendo.  They're going to have weak support to start and it may be a necessary evil to pad the release schedule with remakes.  It's fine if the attitude is "okay, we're trying our best to make exciting new games for the NX but it just isn't feasible to create enough new content by ourselves to get an acceptable stream of releases without remakes and remasters filling in gaps."  It is not fine if the attitude is "ha ha! The Rubes will buy these double-dips and we can slack off and not put in a full effort."  I was very offended by the NPC games on the Wii for example because it seemed like they were used as an excuse for Nintendo to slack off.  Hell I'm sure the ability to re-release Gamecube games with waggle controls was part of their whole plan for the Wii in the first place.  Who knows what their intentions truly were but I did not feel they were putting in a good effort.

So I'm okay with the NX having Wii U remasters and such if it comes across like Nintendo is putting in a good effort.  And I think the success of the NX will depend a lot on how that comes across in general.  If remakes come across as sprinkled into the release schedule to make an initially thin lineup look better that's okay.  If it comes across like Nintendo trying to sell us a new console to play Wii U games, nope, that's no good and sales will suffer as a result.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
No, the plan for the Wii was to make it a controller accessory for the Gamecube. That explains why the system was so similar to the Gamecube.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 08:49:45 AM »
It's fine if the attitude is "okay, we're trying our best to make exciting new games for the NX but it just isn't feasible to create enough new content by ourselves to get an acceptable stream of releases without remakes and remasters filling in gaps."  It is not fine if the attitude is "ha ha! The Rubes will buy these double-dips and we can slack off and not put in a full effort."
What's the metric for this? And who is judging what constitutes a "full effort?" What the hell does that even mean? You not liking something doesn't mean Nintendo didn't try.

I don't think Nintendo's effort, in general, is really in question. From what Iwata and others have implied regarding NX, it's adjusting. The handheld market caught up to the point where Nintendo had to concede that it can't realistically support two separate platforms anymore. It would have to practically double its development teams. That has nothing to do with effort. It's the reality of the requirements of modern game development.
I was very offended by the NPC games on the Wii for example because it seemed like they were used as an excuse for Nintendo to slack off.  Hell I'm sure the ability to re-release Gamecube games with waggle controls was part of their whole plan for the Wii in the first place.  Who knows what their intentions truly were but I did not feel they were putting in a good effort.
That's a typical Ian comment. There were seven New Play Control titles. North America didn't get one of them (Chibi Robo), Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were stupidly rare on GameCube, and Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes were packaged in Metroid Prime Trilogy. That's three games for less than it would have cost to buy two of them separately. Retro Studios worked on the updated games alongside Donkey Kong Country Returns. It didn't drop everything to work on them. Nintendo lives and dies by the software it releases. The main teams continued work on new releases at the same time as the ports. What part of that has anything to do with effort?

Assuming for the purposes of this discussion that Super Smash Bros. for NX happens, it would most likely be Namco Bandai working on the port which doesn't affect Nintendo's own development teams. Unless the port includes new content, Sakurai would probably supervise and oversee things rather than be actively involved. And he isn't even a Nintendo employee that doesn't even support what you're saying.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »
I thought the NPC games showed a solid effort from Nintendo.  The Metroid Prime Trilogy was a great release with the art book and tin packaging.  The new controls were already in 3, and bringing them to 1 and 2 seemed smart.  NPC Pikmin seemed like it was trying to expose a fairly obscure franchise to the Wii's broader audience with controls that I thought people liked.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Remember that Pikmin 3 was also supposed to release on Wii, nit Wii U. And Olimar was just announced as a character for Smash. So that gave further incentive for Nintendo to get the little spaceman some exposure.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
I am very offended by Ian Sane on NWR for example because it seems like this topic is used as yet another excuse for him to reiterate his same ol' complaints. Heck, I'm sure the ability to copy/paste his old posts and change a word here or there is part of his whole plan in the first place. Who knows what his intention truly is but I do not feel he is putting in a good effort to understand any perspective outside of his own.

Just being facetious, I'm not really offended.

In my experience, the only New Play Control! game with controls that could qualify as waggle is the NPC version of Mario Power Tennis. They did not do a good job adopting the controls to this game and it is probably worse than the original as a result (I have not played the original so I can't judge for sure). However, Pikmin 1 & 2 and Metroid Prime 1 & 2 do not have waggle, but instead added pointer control which works wonderfully and is definitely better than the original controls. They also added a few other enhancements such as widescreen support, and in Pikmin 1 the ability to revert to any previous day, for example.

At the time, I owned only two of the seven NPC games, so I'm glad they made them because it gave me another chance to get those games at better prices and in most cases an improved version, even. I bought them all that were released here, and I'm a bit sad that NPC Chibi-Robo never made it over since I missed out on it and it's gotten pretty expensive for the GCN original.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:08:38 PM by Mop it up »