Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Video Recap  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Super Smash Bros. Video Recap
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »

A fitting climax to a year of insane additions.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41654/super-smash-bros-video-recap

Nintendo showed the final Super Smash Bros video presentation today, with multiple new content announcements for the forseeable feature.

Characters

• Cloud will be available later today, and was the most demanded Final Fantasy character. He'll feature costumes from the original Final Fantasy 7 and the Advent Children movie. Like Little Mac, Cloud will build his limit gauge through contact or by using his down-B. Charging the limit break will allow for powered up special moves.
  • Corrin (Fire Emblem Fates) led off the video by choosing to Smash. A more agile Fire Emblem Swordsman, they wields a chainsaw sword called the Omega Yato, and transforms into a dragon during battles with his Dragon Fang abilities. Much like Robin, Corrin will have both male and female alt costumes. Corrin was brought in following discussions about the new title. Corrin releases in February.
  • Bayonetta will get wicked in (date) as the final character. She uses multiple guns and has her familiar Umbran Witch attacks, which may explain why the video was rated RP-T. Bayonetta was the #1 character on the ballot worldwide (among characters "negotiable and realizable"), top 5 in the US and 1st overall in Europe. A color variant for Jeanne will be selectable. Bayonetta is expected to launch in February 2016.

Stages

• Corrin will not bring a stage along, but two new songs will be added with their download that will go into the existing Fire Emblem Stages.
  • Midgar will have Summon Materia that players can collect to morph the terrain; Ifrit lights it on fire, Ramuh shocks the floating platforms, Odin cuts the stage in half and KOs anyone who is hit by the blade, Leviathan floods the stage, and Bahamut Zero fires a massive area-of-effect flare attack. The materia wielder will get credit for every KO resulting from the summon.
  • Umbra Clock Tower is a recreation of the first level of the original Bayonetta, which is a falling platform that has other platforms and angels falling all around it.

Updates

• Corrin will bring two trophies for the 3DS version. Cereza, Rodin and Jeanne will come with a purchase of Bayonetta.

amiibo

• Ryu, Roy and Famicom ROB will launch on March 18, 2016 in North America.
  • The three new characters will have Amiibo, but no date was given for them.

Mii Costumes

• The Chocobo Hat will be available along with a Geno costume later today.
  • Also along in February 2016: Bionic Armor, Takamaru, Ashley, The Tower of Druaga's Gil, Tails, Knuckles. QR codes are available for existing Mii costumes to create lookalikes, such as the Inklings.

Pricing

• Corrin: $4.99 US / $6.29 C / €4.99 /£4.49 1 version, $5.99 / / $7.49 / €5.99 / £5.39for both.
  • Cloud and Bayonetta: $5.99 / $7.49 / €5.99 / £5.39 1 version, $6.99 / $8.79 / €6.99 / £6.29 for both.
  • Mii costumes: $0.75 / /$0.99 / €0.79 / £0.69 for 1, $1.15 / $1.49 / €1.19 / £1.09 for both
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline tyto_alba

• Localization =/= Censorship
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros Video Recap
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 06:04:51 PM »
can' t believe this is realy the end of the DLC. great nothing got leaked and Bayonetta is awesome, but damn...another emo-fire emblem twat. no, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Snake, Ice Climbers or even Wolf?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
can' t believe this is realy the end of the DLC. great nothing got leaked and Bayonetta is awesome, but damn...another emo-fire emblem twat. no, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Snake, Ice Climbers or even Wolf?
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]You have to save some content for the eventual Nintendo NX sequel.  Even if the director changes you know that the ground work is already laid out.  You could just do minor tweaks to characters that were dropped like Snake and Ice Climbers. 
[/size]
[/size]King K. Rool would be good for another extreme heavy weight character, and Simon Belmont should be in for some fun and unique Whip game mechanics.  They could even work that strange free whip in any direction that Super Castlevania had.  Though I still think Bomber man should be in the game as a trap/trick/technique fighter.  Something that Smash doesn't have too much of.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
Have not watched the video yet, but is this really confirmed to be the end? I thought this was just the last direct dedicated to Smash?

Nice to see Bayonetta, but adding Corrin seems like overkill. I do hope that the female is the default/amiibo so we get more female representation.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:59:25 PM »
can' t believe this is realy the end of the DLC. great nothing got leaked and Bayonetta is awesome, but damn...another emo-fire emblem twat. no, King K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Snake, Ice Climbers or even Wolf?You have to save some content for the eventual Nintendo NX sequel.  Even if the director changes you know that the ground work is already laid out.  You could just do minor tweaks to characters that were dropped like Snake and Ice Climbers.  King K. Rool would be good for another extreme heavy weight character, and Simon Belmont should be in for some fun and unique Whip game mechanics.  They could even work that strange free whip in any direction that Super Castlevania had.  Though I still think Bomber man should be in the game as a trap/trick/technique fighter.  Something that Smash doesn't have too much of.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »
Incredible, Sakurai somehow both surprised me and gave me exactly what I didn't know I wanted. I was playing Bayonetta recently and her Smash incarnation is incredibly faithful to how she plays in her own game, just insane attention to detail. As for Corrin I commend Sakurai for his excellent taste in Nintendo franchises and FE haters can go suck it! I would be downloading Cloud right this second but prior experience has taught me it'd be quicker to wait a day or two for things to settle down.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »
While there are a lot of FE characters, the new one feels like a fresh addition.

But Bayonetta in Smash is fantastic news, and I love it, love it, love it.

I also wanna add that the end of the video felt like Sakurai saying, "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!"
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 07:38:10 PM »

Bayonetta is an amazing addition. Wonderful to see she makes it in and gets a amiibo. Absolutely wonderful news and great to see her in. Perfect touch to the final direct of smash.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline caffeine

• View Profile
    • ScottyHoag.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »
I also wanna add that the end of the video felt like Sakurai saying, "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!"

To me it felt more like he was saying "Finally, I'm free! I'm freeeeeeeee!".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
It's weird seeing Bayonetta somewhat proportional.

I'm pretty happy with the final choices. All of them are super unique. It's weird that Fire Emblem has 37 fighters in the game, but they mostly make sense besides Lucina who really should have been a Marth alt. I'm saying this as someone who primarily uses Lucina. It's a shame that the Legend of Zelda series only has four. Midna with Wolf Link seemed like an obvious choice. Oh well.

So the final DLC is being released February 2016? Nine months is enough time to port the game over to NX. That is,  assuming the team hasn't started already...

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »
Bayonetta is a great addition to the game. But I dont even play Smash, so I cant complain about any of the other stuff.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:41:40 PM »
I'm kinda disappointed that all of the DLC characters except Mewtwo are humans and relatively realistically proportioned.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »
As someone who has no problem with the influx of FE character in Smash and thinks Bayonetta 2 is without a doubt the best game on Wii U, this was like an early Christmas present and a fitting end to the development cycle of Smash 4. Thank you very much Sakurai.

Corrin has some sweet moves and I loved Bayonetta's fighting style (even though I wasn't that good at stringing combos) so it's good that her moves are carrying over almost faithfully. Azeke is going to destroy people playing as her.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
Azeke is going to destroy people playing as her.
I never got into Smash from what i played Melee, Brawl and 3DS demo. The movement just never clicked with me.

That's why i never bought Smash 4.

That and i really don't want to buy DLC, any DLC. Still haven't bought a single Nintendo game with paid DLC (except Pikmin but i bought it before DLC was even announced).

Bayo makes me want to. And that amiibo is going to be glorious.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
I haven't bought any DLC for this game, but that's probably going to change with Bayonetta. A lot of people thought it wouldn't happen because making her "Smash Bros. friendly" while still staying true to the character would be difficult, but it seems like they pulled it off.

The only thing I wish they did differently was reveal Corrin at the end. The "OMG ANOHTER FE CHARACTER!?!!" salt is already hilarious (and of course these people will fail to acknowledge that Corrin legitimately looks like a unique character), but it would have been amazing if he made everyone think there wasn't going to be a no-shits-given-Sakurai move and then dropped it at the end. Going to pick this DLC up too.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Corrin at the beginning was perfect because it set up the "climax" ending (can't believe that flew over my head) and made it absolutely clear there wasn't going to be a returning character. No way they were making Wolf or Ice Climbers the final reveal.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 10:20:03 PM »
fates hasn't even come out yet tho...
Bayonetta Amiibo!
Yes that white sticky stuff all-over it is what you think it is!
Made you look ****.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 11:05:07 PM »
Fates came out in Japan almost six months ago.

I just love getting new characters. Corrin looks awesome. I get why people are complaining about the abundance of Fire Emblem characters, but you can make a case for all of them, except maybe Lucina (who is awesome so, you know, shh). Roy isn't a popular Fire Emblem character, but he's a really popular Super Smash Bros. character and had been notably absent from Brawl and highly requested since. Marth and Ike were returning characters, the former being the most recurring and recognizable character in the series. Robin and Lucina were from the most successful and most recent game (at the time).

I'm really glad Bayonetta made it in, even if by fan vote. I've been pulling for her ever since Bayonetta 2 was announced as Wii U exclusive. I thought she would have just made the initial roster due to the close working relationship between Nintendo and Platinum Games. I have a feeling Banjo Kazooie actually won the overall ballot.

I just downloaded and tried cloud. He's pretty cool. I'm a little disappointed that Sakurai/Nintendo didn't go the extra mile and bring in Steve Burton to record new voice samples just for the game. He's been Cloud's english voice actor for 13 years. It sounds like they got Hellena Taylor to reprise her role as Bayonetta and rightfully so because it'd be weird otherwise after three games (Anarchy Reigns is the other one if you're wondering) and a movie.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 11:56:09 PM »
I would post the Super Saiyan Coach one more time but after this Direct he'd be at Super Saiyan God level and could potentially destroy our universe.

Awesome finish, Bayonetta looks amazing and Sakurai got one last ultimate troll with the Geno Mii.  When I first saw Corrin I originally though "another FE character Sakurai", but that dragon related moveset won me over.  I'm a sucker for characters who can transform their limbs into other objects who different creatures.  Hell, Corrin is basically Sakurai making his own Darkstalkers character.

Of course it does make you wonder where the series is going to go from here.  We have 58 characters, as well as characters like Wolf, Ice Climber and Snake that are going to be the heavily requested cuts for the next game.  So there's literally over 60 movesets for this franchise now and the combine total of Wii U and 3DS will make it the best selling Smash Bros.  They can't really cut back since the series is still growing but this many characters plus at least a dozen new ones is going to be insane.

My guess is the next Smash Bros will be a port of Wii U to the NX but with new characters, stages and some modes.  This way they can literally reuse all the existing characters with a few trikes here and there so it doesn't take a huge amount of time with a dozen new ones.  Even if Sakurai doesn't return after this Smash Bros, with Cloud and Bayonetta coming out at the end he's literally opening Pandora's Box on who's possible in Smash now.  Don't be surprised if 10 years from now Smash Bros looks outdated graphically because they're still using the main Wii U engine because that's what it take to literally have over 100 characters as long as the sales keep growing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
Bayonetta! They're doing it. They're actually doing it!

Pretty happy with the new and last batch of new characters. Corrin looks fun, Cloud is still a shocking character to have, and Bayonetta looks stylish.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Video Recap
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 06:03:37 AM »
My guess is the next Smash Bros will be a port of Wii U to the NX but with new characters, stages and some modes.  This way they can literally reuse all the existing characters with a few trikes here and there so it doesn't take a huge amount of time with a dozen new ones.  Even if Sakurai doesn't return after this Smash Bros, with Cloud and Bayonetta coming out at the end he's literally opening Pandora's Box on who's possible in Smash now.  Don't be surprised if 10 years from now Smash Bros looks outdated graphically because they're still using the main Wii U engine because that's what it take to literally have over 100 characters as long as the sales keep growing.
At this point, I definitely believe NX is getting a launch window port with extras if only because I don't think Nintendo wants to "waste" Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. When development started, Nintendo didn't think Wii U was going to perform so poorly. The Wii U version was the lead project with the most resources and higher budget devoted to it. It wants a bigger return and Super Smash Bros. is a gold mine with it's rather impressive DLC and Amiibo support. Nintendo is supporting Wii U because it has to have a platform to support right now, but once NX hits, Nintendo is going to drop Wii U like a bad habit despite what the PR machine says. Dropping Wii U also means dropping Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (and Splatoon for that matter) so the only real solution is to bring the game over to NX quickly to keep the Amiibo money train moving and make more money on such an expensive project.

I still think a true and original Super Smash Bros. NX title with its own engine will come out eventually, but that's going to take time, two to three years if Sakurai or another director starts immediately after Corrin and Bayonetta are released. That's too long to be without the series on Nintendo's supposed comeback platform. Right now, Amiibo is propping up Nintendo's financials. Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta Amiibo probably won't hit until August 2016 at the earliest, and Nintendo aims to replace Wii U a few short months after and undermine that cash-cow? Nah, it makes too much sense for Nintendo to port the game to NX. Include the 3DS stages, the DLC characters (or at least offer them free for those who already have them), and throw in Ice Climbers, Snake, Wolf, and maybe a bonus new character (Inklings?) and some classic stages. Boom, $60 game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 06:17:38 AM »
Oh, and as someone who has spent an egregious amount of money collectively on the 3DS version, Wii U bundle, another GameCube adapter, and the DLC characters and stages, I can't say I necessarily want an upgraded NX port from a consumer perspective. However, Super Smash Bros. is the only game I play regularly so I know I'd buy an NX port, and Nintendo knows I, and many others, would too in addition to all the people who couldn't be bothered to buy a Wii U for one game.

I really can't see Nintendo not doing this to strengthen NX and continue printing money.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 06:44:53 AM »
There's no reason the GameCube adapter can't also work with NX, as it's just USB, and if Nintendo's smart all your DLC would transfer to the new system, if not included by default, so you wouldn't be out that much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »
Assuming this happens, I'd expect GameCube adapter compatibility even if Nintendo goes USB type-C exclusive since there will be adapters for that. Regardless, I use the Pro Controller unless one isn't available. I was referring to having to spend likely $60 even with extras. I mean, I absolutely would but begrudgingly so.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
I was sure that Shovel Knight was a shoe in, but Bayonetta is a fantastic addition. The DLC being built from scratch managed to keep the game relevant for over a year. Eventually I'll pick up all of the characters, it's a great game and all the extra content that the fighters come with make a great addition to the game overall even if you don't use a character much. Now if my update would just finish....
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics