Author Topic: I'm eating foreign candy/snacks/food/beverages  (Read 43725 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I'm eating foreign candy
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 04:14:27 AM »
The winner was UncleBob. I'll be sending something to him shortly.

Minstrels?

Minstrels are hard/crunchy chocolate with a softer inside.

Is the green Kit Kat Chunky the one with peanut butter?  That's another awesome bar we used to have in Canada that's now gone.

If their green one is anything like the green one we have here, it's mint.

I thought it was, but checking again its hazelnut cream.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »
Minstrel is the worst name for anything ever. Sounds like a chocolate-covered used tampon.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
Yay for candy!

When your package arrives, I'll make a similar offer to any overseas folks for some US candy!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
Yay for candy!

When your package arrives, I'll make a similar offer to any overseas folks for some US candy!
He will also not report back on your mystery candy but show it in a mystery case. #NevaForgetDaDew

Are we talking about these Smarties?

If so I see them around Halloween and I could probably find some now if asked too.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »
I stupidly deleted UncleBob's PM. Can you send it to me again please?

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »

Ceric, I was talking about these. It's basically Nestle's version of M&Ms. And it's insane how much better they are, too.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
Just as long as you eat the red ones last.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »
Are they like Green M&Ms?

What are Munchies and Flakes?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 03:41:33 AM »
Are they like Green M&Ms?

What are Munchies and Flakes?

Flakes are sticks of chocolate that are thin and flakey and break off easily. Hence the name.
Munchies, if i remember, are chewy-chocolate covered biscuits.

My favourite one is in the bottom right in the first picture, just out of shot, called Toffee Crisp.
Is that sold anywhere else?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
We (Canada) have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Crisp which looks very similar in name haha. Also available in Australia it seems.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
We call the American Smarties "Rockets".

The chocolate Smarties used to be great but a few years ago they changed the die they use to colour them to something more natural.  The problem is the new die has a slightly fruity flavour to it which has altered the taste.  As a result I think they're pretty meh now and only eat them if someone brings their leftover Halloween candy to work.  I used to go for either one but now M&M's is the only one I'll intentionally buy.  It sucks because as a kid I was all over Smarties.  I remember when they introduced the blue colour!  There was serious discussion on the playground over whether you eat the red ones last or the new blue ones.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »

We call the American Smarties "Rockets".

The chocolate Smarties used to be great but a few years ago they changed the die they use to colour them to something more natural.  The problem is the new die has a slightly fruity flavour to it which has altered the taste.  As a result I think they're pretty meh now and only eat them if someone brings their leftover Halloween candy to work.  I used to go for either one but now M&M's is the only one I'll intentionally buy.  It sucks because as a kid I was all over Smarties.  I remember when they introduced the blue colour!  There was serious discussion on the playground over whether you eat the red ones last or the new blue ones.

I hate how candy makers (and food makers in general) change their recipe in the name of 'health'. It's candy! It is meant to be junk. Let it be as tasty and gloriously unhealthy as possible. I apologize for my country's part in this misguided health craze. It is ruining everything from candy to fast food to chips.

It is my choice what I put in my body and I hate that some pen pushers at a desk in an office are forcing food companies to change their recipes to something less tasty. If I want to eat healthy I will eat healthy choices. If I want to treat myself to tasty indulgences then I want them to be delicious indulgences.

When I went with my wife to Guatemala earlier this year I thought most of the candy tastes better. We ended up bringing a bunch back with us. Even the soda tastes better, probably because they aren't afraid to use real sugar in their goodies.

I really want to try french fries fried in beef lard. I always hear stories of people who got to eat the old McDonalds fries when they fried them in real cooking oil. None of this silly nauseating soy and 'vegetable' oil.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
You know soda in Canada uses real sugar.  I remember hearing that it was illegal to use corn syrup as a substitute but then it might be as simple as the US subsidizing corn and Canada not, making sugar the cheaper option.  I like our McDonald's fries better, too.  They have not noticeably changed during my entire life but the American fries noticeably got worse at some point.  It could be possible that they've always been different and I just didn't notice.  As a kid I was rarely in the States and rarely got to eat fast food so I probably only ate at American McDonalds a handful of times.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
You're Canadian? That explains a lot. :P

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
This confirms I will be making a trip to BC in the near future.

You are right about the sugar, Ian. US massively subsidizes corn soy and wheat here. So corn syrup is cheaper in the States.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
UncleBob's mystery gift has been sent. The person at the post office almost correctly guessed what it was just by holding the packet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
You know soda in Canada uses real sugar.  I remember hearing that it was illegal to use corn syrup as a substitute but then it might be as simple as the US subsidizing corn and Canada not, making sugar the cheaper option.  I like our McDonald's fries better, too.  They have not noticeably changed during my entire life but the American fries noticeably got worse at some point.  It could be possible that they've always been different and I just didn't notice.  As a kid I was rarely in the States and rarely got to eat fast food so I probably only ate at American McDonalds a handful of times.

McDonald's changed their oil after that Super size Me documentary pointed the big fat unhealthy spot lite on them. Their fries have never been the same since.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
I thought it was because they used to fry them in lard and when vegetarians found out they threw a fit so they changed to a vegetable oil.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
Except Super Size Me is a sham. I highly advise watching the movie Fat Head which refutes a lot of the ideas that are shown in Super Size Me. Changed my diet and my health drastically. Don't want to derail this candy thread with that, though. So anyone curious can start a new thread or PM me about that stuff.

As for candy, I would like to try foreign peanut butter candy like Reeses. I ate some here recently and it tastes very different from what I remember. I used to love them and now I find them to be nasty.
My Game Collection

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »
I thought it was because they used to fry them in lard and when vegetarians found out they threw a fit so they changed to a vegetable oil.

Why can't they just go to a different restaurant?  There are all sorts of restaurants that serve food I don't like and I've never thought about making any sort of fuss about it.  I understand that for a vegetarian there might be moral issues involved in accidently consuming meat product but I think my response would be "**** you, Mcdonald's!  I'll never eat here again!" not "Change your food to accommodate me, someone who already has no interest in 90% of your menu, and compromise the experience for the majority of your customers."  Same with health nuts.  You have no inalienable right to eat at McDonald's.  They serve a certain type of food and you can choose to eat it or go somewhere else.  I don't go into health food stores and demand they provide me Mars bars and Doritos.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »
Thats what is most bothersome about it. No one should force their views on others. I try to avoid wheat/gluten and soy (diet choice and wife's health condition). I don't go into McDonalds or The Old Spaghetti Factory and pitch a fit because they sell something I choose to not eat. I still work part time at Pizza Hut and they fry their wings in soy now. I don't tell that employer that they can't sell that product because I can't/won't eat it.

Really, I'm surprised that a vegetarian fast-food company hasn't cropped up nationally. That is what should be happening. Don't attack the restaurants that found a market and are successfully meeting the needs of their clientele. Find those that are meeting your needs and support them with your dollars.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
I think the complaining was mostly due to them not making it clear that's how they did it, and some vegetarians had been under the impression that the fries were an option for them. If I were morally opposed to something and then found out I'd been doing it inadvertently all this time I think it's understandable to be upset. If you want to be upset with someone, be upset with the restaurant, who didn't have to change anything if it didn't want to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
That is a good point. The restaurant didn't need to change. Though I also blame consumers for not being educated in their food choices. Read labels, ask questions. I actually went into the storage freezer where dough is stored at Pizza Hut and read the labels on the boxes for inquiring customers concerned about certain food items. Thankfully they are like regular USDA nutrition labels where they show ingredients and also bolded common allergens like wheat, eggs, milk and soy. I've done the same mistake myself because I didn't bother reading a label until AFTER I ate the food.

So seems like plenty of blame can go around to all parties involved.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »

So, this showed up at my door today.

At first I was like "Oh... gummies."  I mean, I like gummies and all, but we have gummies here in the states.  This same brand even (Haribo, not Jolly Jungle, as far as I've ever seen).  I was a bit sad.  But then, I looked at the ingredients.  Elderberries, Hibiscus, Passion Fruit... Spinach!  Weird.

Can't wait to try these. :D

The first person from outside the US to PM me their address *after* 8:42 AM GMT will get some US-exclusive (as best as I can tell) goodie sent to them. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »
Wait, isn't Haribo that company that makes those artificial gummies that cause people to project liquid hate?

E. What am I doing sending messages 12 hours to soon. It's light out here!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:05:40 PM by oohhboy »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?