Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193817 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4325 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:52 AM »
I finished The Runaways season 1.... not really sure what to think about it.
I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I know they deviated from the comics, but I've never read them, and I'm kinda interested to see where they go next since the parents aren't really the evil ones... even if the kids don't seem to know that. The Kids are gonna be trying to come back to take out the parents? while the parents try to take out Jonah? and I have no idea what they were doing the entire time either. So I'm interested in seeing what all of this was even about.

It also looks like Jonah is going to need another sacrifice to heal himself again. Don't think he was planning on using his powers like he did. I also think that opening fight was Jonah kinda teaching Caroline how to use her powers through demonstration, before ultimately just overpowering her and taking her into custody. But I don't understand how it was part of his plan for the kids to come rescue her and them all to get away.... or was the message from "Unknown" - Mission Accomplished - was about something else?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »
The Rapidly Increasing Decline of the United States of America - 0/10
It's not just on TV, it's also on cable news channels and twitter, etc. It's a real shithole though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: January 14, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »
Caught up to the most recent episode of The Orville and...*sigh*...really? You even had your black helmsman promoted to Chief Engineer, Seth McFarlane? -_-

There's homage, and then there's just outright plagiarism.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: January 15, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Caught up to the most recent episode of The Orville and...*sigh*...really? You even had your black helmsman promoted to Chief Engineer, Seth McFarlane? -_-

There's homage, and then there's just outright plagiarism.

How is the skin colour of a person and job turn into plagiarism?

You missed the entire story about how and why he got promoted. He went through some serious character development to get there.

Geordi got promoted because the show runners needed a Chief engineer and his promotion was off screen. It was such a minor change I had to look it up as I remember him always as an engineer. No one ever talked about his sudden promotion. One of the most pivotal event on the Enterprise and his life is a massive hole.

They couldn't be more different from each other as people.

The Orville has always been about paying homage to Trek and works to subvert your expectations.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
I powered through Discovery Channel's Manhunt:Unabomber minseries.

I know it's a (very) fictionalized tale of the events, but I think they did a pretty good job with it.  It's a shame there's so much surrounding the true life events that we'll never know...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
Did anybody catch Black Lightning last week? (ep2 comes on tonight)

They dove right in on the #BLM/Black Inequality issues, set the tone for the character and show real quick. LOL
So far, so good though. I'm looking forward to ep2. I'm wondering how long it takes before he shows up in the next Arrowverse crossover though, or atleast has a cameo from one of the other shows happen.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
So far in season 5 of Agents of Shield...

Until episode 5 it felt like filler. Sure they had to world build the new location and events but it felt so damn slow stretching out material. They tried to maintain the mystery for too long and the pay off just didn't have the impact because it meandered so much.

It has finally done something of importance and episode 5 as a whole is badass.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: January 26, 2018, 03:53:30 AM »
Black Lightning - Netflix UK is airing it here one week behind so i've just seen the pilot. I really like this series. It didn't mess about, established that he already has his powers and got on with it. I also love how unashamedly black the show is (although the rap is horrible, please cut that out).

The police scene was particularly tense. I've had similar experiences here on foot while my brother has had it on his motorbike.

People have questioned how to merge the show into the Arrowverse - the killer question is how will the Arrowverse merge with this? The AV Club alluded to this in their Supergirl's review in that how Supergirl is all about feminism, it's largely all about white women. The other shows will need a drastic shift in trying to balance things out for the future.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: January 27, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
I agree with you on Black Lightning. Shamelessly and UnApologetically Black.
jumped right into Minority issues and didn't look back to see who was lookin.

Ep2 was good too. I think this will be the CW show I ride out for the rest of the season besides I guess Supergirl, but only because I've been watching it to go to sleep, and accidentally finishing the episodes, so I'm only back like 2 episodes now.
(I haven't started Arrow, or The Flash, and I'm already behind all of last season of LoT).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: February 01, 2018, 02:36:06 AM »
Happy! - Guiltiest pleasureful helping of WTF am i watching that I think I've had in the last few years.

This show is just silly, absurd, twisted, disgusting, funny, filthy, stupid, a lil badass, but kind of amazing for somehow pulling it all off at the same time.

I'm not sure if I can recommend it, because there's a 90% chance you'd look back at me with a WTF is wrong with you look..... and that's fine. But I feel like if you weren't in that 10% you missed some uniquely entertaining television. And on Syfy at that...
I'm not even gonna try to describe the show, or anything that goes on during it, or what any of it means, how it's even possible, or where they are going with it all... just dive in, because honestly, I don't know if I even could, certainly not in a way that will do it justice. LOL

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: February 01, 2018, 05:04:25 AM »
Happy! was an amazing ride of fun.

I will absolutely recommend it.  Not ashamed. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: February 02, 2018, 11:08:19 PM »
Top Gear's true successor "The Grand Tour" (Amazon Prime) trite/10. The play-acting, the premise of every skit, even the races are poorly scripted and edited. Ugh, it's on Half in the Bag level of laaaziness.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: February 04, 2018, 01:08:14 AM »
Anyone else watch The Good Place?  I'm really enjoying it.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: February 05, 2018, 04:19:09 AM »
Anyone else watch The Good Place?  I'm really enjoying it.

Actually, yes. I just watched the first season this week and will probably watch the second season within a week or so also.

I've been interested in this show from the beginning since Michael Schur was behind it and Parks and Recreation is one of my all-time favorite shows and he's responsible for a lot of that. As well, his work on the early years of The Office is also well done. I've continued watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and am a little behind in the current 5th season but slowly catching up however BNN has never won me over like P&R or The Office. It can have some really funny moments and yet it just never hooks me into wanting to watch it regularly like those past programs. I have to actively remind myself and sort of force myself to keep watching it. That said, even if BNN has been a bit of a lesser product compared to P&R and The Office, I've always been interested in seeing The Good Place and I kept seeing it get highly reviewed by critics doing Best in the Year of TV lists the last couple years or Best Shows on TV right now and that kind of thing.

Thus, Monday or Tuesday (I forget which) I finally started watching it and saw all 13 episodes over three days. From the first season, I'd say The Good Place sits between P&R and BNN. It definitely has a stronger beginning compared to P&R and has a lot more of the sunnier disposition that Parks has with the hook of the main character Eleanor trying to be a better person. Unlike BNN which can sometimes feel a bit clichéd in its storylines or set-ups, The Good Place has a more unique setting with a lot more potential to surprise and keep things interesting which is something it does throughout the first season with a lot of great last minute ending surprises / cliffhangers that make you want to see the next episode right away. I also like how the show is able to discuss different philosophies and ideas on morality but able to keep it light and comedic which isn't something you can find in most other shows.

Although P&R had some serial story over its run like filling in the pit, Leslie's election or various character romances, it was able to still balance it well with some standalone episodes and a lot of humour. BNN, on the other hand, has never really succeeded or tried too much with serial storytelling or having long arcs for characters mainly keeping things pretty self-contained per episode which is probably another reason why it's been harder to keep my interest in it even if it may have a lot of humour in an episode. The Good Place, on the other hand, really feels like P&R on serial telling steroids. It's got a lot of forward momentum as it keeps unfolding new developments which lead to another development and so on. Although episodes have their own title, on-air the show just calls them Chapter 3 or Chapter 8 depending on the episode which I think is fitting because it does feel more like a long unfolding story than a collection of humours stories like other comedy series.

However, I do think this results in a show that is pleasant but not necessarily laugh out loud funny and that the humour has been a bit muted compared to The Office, P&R and BNN. Those shows have all had episodes that I was laughing throughout and some killer jokes. I haven't really felt that way about the comedic moments from The Good Place yet although the leader of The Bad Place who stops by for a couple episodes was probably the closest to providing a lot of great and consistent jokes. Trying to think of standout comedy moments, I'm also reminded of a bit with a lie detector which is probably the funniest a lie detector has been since Moe on The Simpsons and they were even able to switch and get a bit of drama from it so there's a lot of cleverness this show can tap into already even though its early in its development. The focus on story first is probably my biggest knock on The Good Place in that I wish it had a better gelling of comedy and story yet the story and events unfolding have been so engaging that I've enjoyed it all so far. However, I have repeat watched a lot of The Office and P&R twice over because of the humour and jokes which still hold up and make me laugh and not so much for the serial storylines so the focus on forward plot momentum over humour makes me wonder how well the show may stand up to repeated viewing.

The only other gripe might be that I do find the cast a little bit imbalanced. There's a couple characters that are great and some that are so-so. I can't think of anything really funny relating to Tahani off the top of my head and Janet I find is a bit of mixed bag with some funny bits and some annoying / lame bits. Chidi is more a straight man but he's got some great reactions which is necessary for that kind of role and the writers have found a couple moments to create a bit of a laugh around him. Hopefully, they can round his character out a bit more like Ben Wyatt on P&R to give him more of his own funny quirks.

One other thing that I find interesting about this show is the flashbacks in the character's lives. Sometimes they can be pretty funny like Chidi trying to choose players for a soccer team or Jason Mendoza's life in Florida, sometimes they can be a bit dramatic and sometimes they just show Eleanor being horrible in a way that isn't really funny or dramatic and is the one part of the show I hope they can tweak a bit and fix up. That said, the flashbacks sort of offer the prospect of a second show within a show if they wanted to do more of a set-up between these characters past and present lives which isn't something you see a lot of in a comedy show. Again, it shows a lot of material this show has the potential to work with.

To sum up, I do highly recommend the show. Like UncleBob, I've really enjoyed the first season and will probably burn through the second season just as fast if it keeps up the story momentum it's currently on. I totally get the praise it has been receiving but my only warning is don't go into it expecting the first 4 seasons of The Office or the First 8 seasons of The Simpsons which had episodes packed filled with all manner of great gags and jokes. The show has more of a pleasant tone that will keep you happily satisfied as it moves from one seeming disaster to the next with a bit of humour. It's good. Compared to a lot of other shows, and comedies particularly, it's very good but it's not yet great. Now bring on Season 2 and let's see if it can reach that next level.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: February 05, 2018, 04:43:40 AM »
The Good Place is something I've been meaning to watch but haven't gotten around to yet. I'm a big fan of Parks & Rec as well, and I'll give anything with Ted Danson a shot. I just have a huge backlog of things I want to watch in addition to the one of things I want to play, and I'm not even fully caught up on things I already know I like, so that always gets pushed back.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
What do you want to watch? What's the backlog? Maybe I can help you sort out what's worth it vs what ain't.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: February 05, 2018, 11:03:49 PM »
Most of the backlog is drama shows like Mad Men, The Shield, and a whole bunch of HBO stuff, but there's some comedy as well. The big one's probably The Office, which I've never gotten into despite all the acclaim and liking all of NBC's other big comedies from that era. Older stuff includes things like MASH and Scrubs, while in terms of current shows I want to give Brooklyn Nine-Nine a shot and finish getting caught up with Veep.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: February 06, 2018, 04:03:41 AM »
Man, you've got me writing a huge post now on some of these shows and I need sleep so I'm saving my work and posting the rest tomorrow. For now, I'm just going to leave this here:

Out of the stuff you've listed, here's my ranking:

Mad Men
MASH
The Office
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Scrubs
The Shield
Veep

But to be honest, I haven't seen Scrubs or The Shield. That's just where my interest level on them lies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: February 10, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
Arrow: or my preferred title How to waste the talents of Michael Emerson - aside from Legends, the whole Arrowverse is starting to frustrate me in differing ways.

Arrow has had great actors and spoiled them for no reason - Tobias Church really grabbed the screen with his personality and the actor really went for it, but only had a 4 episode arc and was killed off. Lost went so far as to rewrite its episodes to keep Emerson. While in POI he took a physically crippled man and gave Finch so much heart while spending a big chunk of time acting to a screen. Meanwhile, Arrow suffers by being far too rigid to its structure meaning we lose good actors because the plot says so rather than letting the quality of the actors dictate what happens more.

The Flash should just be renamed to Damn It Barry. Supergirl has a great refugee and feminism angle but keeps stalling it for relationship drama.

Legends skips all of these issues by going more and more for lunacy - and now we have Beebo for it.

If Black Lightning was to ever become part of the Arrowverse, i would really hope that the crossover consists of Jefferson and his kids berating Oliver for white privilege while Diggle and Rene just sit quietly knowing its true.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: February 10, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »
If Black Lightning was to ever become part of the Arrowverse, i would really hope that the crossover consists of Jefferson and his kids berating Oliver for white privilege while Diggle and Rene just sit quietly knowing its true.

I haven't watched any of this season of Arrow or The Flash (or the last 2 seasons of Legends)
but Black Lightning making the cameo you suggest, while also making Oliver feel helpless to stop him would be some must see TV for me. LOL

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: February 12, 2018, 03:46:16 AM »
Star Trek: Discovery

The sixth Star Trek series wrapped up its first season tonight, and I feel very comfortable saying it was the best first season of any Star Trek. Granted, part of that is the fact that the Berman-era Trek series all started slow, with The Next Generation in particular being downright awful in its first year, but Discovery came together very well in the end.

oohhboy has been very vocal in his criticisms of the show in this thread, and while I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, I will concede that the first nine episodes, before the midseason break, had their ups and downs. I thought it finished very strong after the break, however. I was initially skeptical about the decision to focus as much as they did on the Mirror Universe, but it turned out to be the best use of that in any Star Trek so far. It was presented in a way that fit the tone of the show without being overly campy, and I came out of it thinking they handled it extremely well. The revelation that (MAJOR SPOILER)the Captain Lorca we knew was the Mirror Universe version of him the whole time was a twist that made perfect sense in hindsight and explained a lot of things, and even having had it spoiled for me ahead of time it was a fantastic reveal.

The finale was a bit anticlimactic in certain areas, but it did a good job of completing the season arc and freed them up for all kinds of possibilities going forward. I'm very much looking forward to the next season, whenever that may come.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: February 12, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
My biggest disappointment is how the show constantly panders to TOS over and over, while not even making nods to what we know happens later. Threatening to blow up Qonos makes no sense thematically given the events of TNG and DS9. But what if we happened to bump into Curzon Dax while at the market? That fills in the blanks to Dax's earlier adventures. But it skipped that button

More worryingly the spore drive still exists and they even terraformed an entire planet to make more spores. At some point the technology will need to be killed off because as it stands, Voyager has been made completely moot
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:21:03 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »
It makes sense that they'd tie it in to the original series the most since it's taking place just ten years before that. As we saw in the last episode, the Enterprise is out there during this time under the command of Christopher Pike. There have also been several references to Star Trek: Enterprise along the way. I'd love to see more stuff involving the later shows, and I agree that Curzon Dax would be a really cool way to do it if they want to cover some of the diplomatic stuff with the Klingons after the war, but it's probably not as easy to do as tying it to TOS. As for the spore drive, there are tons of ways to explain that away in the future, with them seemingly laying the groundwork for it at the end of the finale.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: February 15, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
I've been watching through Power Rangers RPM recently and I'm 11 episodes in. There are generally two types of Power Rangers seasons. You have more serious and dramatic seasons like Time Force and you have your more lighthearted, silly seasons like the original Mighty Morphin season. RPM however has somehow managed to take on both sides of the spectrum without running into the tone issues you'd expect if I told you that there's a season of power rangers set in a post apocalyptic world and there's an episode where one of the characters points out that for whatever reason there's often a giant explosion that goes off for no apparent reason immediately after they morph and that becomes a running gag for that episode.

Like the thing is that RPM should be, by all means, an absolute trainwreck but somehow it's turned out pretty well so far.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: February 16, 2018, 01:28:23 AM »
RPM is my favorite Power Rangers season.  It was really well put together, considering all the behind the scenes issues it had.

Seeing what Disney has done with Marvel and Star Wars just really makes me question what went wrong with Power Rangers.