Author Topic: OBJECTION! The Phoenix Wright series (questions from an outsider)  (Read 5411 times)

Offline matx88

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
OBJECTION! The Phoenix Wright series (questions from an outsider)
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Now with the new 3ds XL not only have I obviously been playing 3ds titles but with larger screens I've been going back and playing alot of DS titles that I've missed over the years. And I've always been interested in the Pheonix Wright series. But seeing that I've never played the series I wanted to know what titles in the series I should look into buying? Or the better question which one should I start out with as a beginner? Should there be any I avoid?
***Sir Miguel II***

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: OBJECTION! The Phoenix Wright series (questions from an outsider)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »
I don't think there are any you should avoid, except for maybe holding off on the "Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth" spinoff until you've played the mainline games.

I honestly think that I enjoyed the first game the most, and I also felt the intro case it had was pretty good at teaching you the basics (unlike the much tougher intro case on 4, in my opinion). And the DS release also happens to be very meaty with 5 cases: the original 4 plus a special bonus one that really does a great job wrapping things together.

Aside from that, every fan has their opinions on 2, 3, and 4, but I think they are all enjoyable enough once you realize you like the game's structure and genre that I don't see why you can't play them in order (my preference) or out-of-order or whatever.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline matx88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Do the games follow a larger a story arc? It is safer to play them in order? Or is it like each games story is self contained but new mechanics are introduced with each title
***Sir Miguel II***

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Do the games follow a larger a story arc? It is safer to play them in order? Or is it like each games story is self contained but new mechanics are introduced with each title

There is a larger story arc across all 3 games, but the games do a fairly decent (if increasingly convoluted) job of trying to catch new players up-to-speed.  I still recommend playing all 3 games in order.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline matx88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »
Thank you both for your help I really appreciate it! I can't wait to get started!  ;D
***Sir Miguel II***

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
You're in for a treat!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:19 AM »
So isn't Ace Attorney 5 supposed to be out soon? WHY ISN'T THERE A THREAD ON IT??

Over the last 3 years the only games I've played have basically been Super Mario 3D Land and Pikmin 3. But I'm super stoked for this one.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 02:08:05 AM »
I also came to the series a little late (though I've caught up to all of them now).   I think what's important to keep in mind is that this is basically an adventure game that is heavily based on logic puzzles, especially linguistic logic puzzles.  And when I say adventure game, I mean more in the vein of Monkey Island than Zelda.

Also, the music is AWWWWESOME.   Especially the music when cross-examinations get intense.  Oh, and the save screen music from the first game. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
I own the two that rereleased on WiiWare. Never finished the second one. I did d/l the 5th bonus case on the first one and had fun with that too.

I wish there was a collection on the 3DS of all of the games from the GBA/DS.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:59:06 AM »
You know, I was in the bathroom, doing what I invariably always do when I'm in the bathroom, reading a book.   Specifically, re-reading the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.   And I realized that the absolute best way, the most accurate by far, to describe the Phoenix Wright games is to call them MYSTERY GAMES.

More than any other game I can think of, you're truly trying to solve a mystery, just like mystery detective, where you're presented with a collection of clues and you have find "the truth."   I wouldn't necessarily compare it to Sherlock Holmes, though---  in Sherlock Holmes mysteries, the "puzzle" to be solved hinges on finding who the culprit it.   

The Ace Attorney games are closer in structure to Monk mysteries (you know, the TV show with Tony Shalhoub).   Like in Monk, it becomes really clear, really fast who the real culprit is.   In Monk, it's usually before the 2nd commercial, and in Ace Attorney, it's usually by the 2nd day of the trial.

Instead, the true mystery lies in the HOW.  How did the culprit do what he/she did?   How do you prove it?   And that is where the fun of the game is, because just like Monk, the HOW is just absolutely implausibly crazy.  But if the game finds you in the right mood, there will be times where you reach this precipice of zen where you see all the threads of evidence on the screen and everything will just "make sense."   It's pretty damn thrilling.

I own the two that rereleased on WiiWare. Never finished the second one. I did d/l the 5th bonus case on the first one and had fun with that too.

Yeah, the 5th bonus case (made specifically for the DS release) was pretty good.  I liked the shadow puzzle.   But I would HIGHLY recommend the 2nd game, Justice For All.   I remember all the cases in the game just being absolutely pitch perfect and constructed really well, especially the 2nd case where Maya was accused of murder (yeah, AGAIN).   
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »
But I would HIGHLY recommend the 2nd game, Justice For All.   I remember all the cases in the game just being absolutely pitch perfect and constructed really well, especially the 2nd case where Maya was accused of murder (yeah, AGAIN).
That circus case was a huge pile of bull. Starting from motive, to the extremely contrived and non-sensical solution.

Franziska though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks