Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1589649 times)

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4725 on: November 02, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
I have never had any problems with iTunes. They even let me recover and redeem movies whose codes have long expired. I have had to call them on the phone a couple of times but they are generally pretty nice. They are even cool about swapping UV codes for iTunes codes whenever I have had to do that even so I would say their model isn't that bad.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: November 02, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
I have never had any problems with iTunes. They even let me recover and redeem movies whose codes have long expired. I have had to call them on the phone a couple of times but they are generally pretty nice. They are even cool about swapping UV codes for iTunes codes whenever I have had to do that even so I would say their model isn't that bad.
Why swap them, they should work both ways.  The code I got for Hunger Games (as well as Cabin in the Woods) worked both in iTunes and for a UV copy.  What happened that you had to swap them?

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: November 02, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »
The movie didn't come with any kind of code, it only worked with Ultra Violet. I have talked to many others who have ran into this as well, there are some studios that use both but when they first started it wasn't that way because Apple did not like UV.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4728 on: November 02, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »
Whenever I download a movie with Ultraviolet, it gets added to my iTunes library automatically. I don't get the hate on on iTunes, I love it and it works fine for me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: November 02, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
I just finished playing a Wii U at a local Gamestop and I must say that it kicks ass one hundred fold. I must have one of these consoles. After my hands-on time with it my interest in playing hardcore titles has went up.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4730 on: November 02, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »
The GameStop at the mall I went to today is like half the size of normal GameStops (which are already small in malls), the only demos they have are one PlayStation Vita and like 2 or 3 tablets. They have a Wii U section, but not demos.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: November 03, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
The GameStop at the mall I went to today is like half the size of normal GameStops (which are already small in malls), the only demos they have are one PlayStation Vita and like 2 or 3 tablets. They have a Wii U section, but not demos.
Yeah, they are taking the place of Wii Demos so probably didn't have the room.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: November 04, 2012, 02:37:14 AM »
For someone who hasn't been following games for a long time.

Can someone please give me the exec summary on the wii u? Innovation, cool new features, specs, exciting announced games, third party interest etc.

Also what are EAD Tokyo and retro doing ?

Thanks. Nice to read posts from familiar posters once again
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: November 04, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
I don't have any problem with Itunes but this trend of giving you the UV copy and itunes is NEW, when it first started they did not do that you had to contact Apple to get them to swap the codes. It was because at first studios were trying to get away from itunes and go exclusively to UV and it didn't work out that way. I know a lot of people that did the same thing, so I know it was not uncommon. I am not sure if there is a difference between the Blu Ray and DVd releases because all of mine are Blu Ray so things might be different if you buy a DVD I don't know.

I was just telling my dad yesterday about the new console and he was still pissed at me for selling my Wii, mom and dad played it way more than I ever did. I told him this new one is different its a real game system for gamers like me, and he said oh well at least he had fun. I think I might get him and mom another regular Wii next Christmas or maybe fathers day when they price drops down.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: November 04, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »

Can someone please give me the exec summary on the wii u? Innovation, cool new features, specs, exciting announced games, third party interest etc.

There's plenty of info on the main site, along with other sites like GoNintendo, Nintendo Life, Nintendo.com, IGN, etc.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
Why do companies package the DVD with some Blu-Ray movies? The whole reason people buy Blu-Ray is to watch things in HD.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: November 04, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
Increased perceived value for something that costs them cents to include. It helps sometimes from a consumer perspective. I only buy Blu Ray these days, but my mom and brother don't have a Blu Ray player so I lend them the DVD disc.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: November 04, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Increased perceived value for something that costs them cents to include. It helps sometimes from a consumer perspective. I only buy Blu Ray these days, but my mom and brother don't have a Blu Ray player so I lend them the DVD disc.

Exactly this. I've only had a blu ray player for about a year now so my library is slowly growing (they're still expensive discs and tend to buy only movies I deem visually "worth it") but when I do get a new movie, I try to ONLY buy either the sku that comes with a dvd copy or digital copy. A lot of my close friends and family haven't upgraded yet so it's nice to have the dvd as a back-up when I want to watch a movie at their houses, or sometimes a buddy and I will just split the cost down the middle; I keep the blu ray, they keep the dvd.

For anyone who has a similar situation, it's not just a perceived value, it's a GREAT value.

edit: the post I'm replying too seems to of come out of nowhere, so to get back on topic (slightly)...

2 WEEKS UNTIL WII U LAUNCH!

Can't wait to pick up my pre-order but outside of Zombie U, I haven't really decided what games to get... I can't be the only one in the same boat?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:59:57 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: November 04, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Can't wait to pick up my pre-order but outside of Zombie U, I haven't really decided what games to get... I can't be the only one in the same boat?

Not I. I've been planning and re-planning my launch purchases for at least a year, as you can see in this thread:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=39765.0

I know exactly how much money I need to have at launch day, what games I'm buying, and where I'm buying them.

The only thing I'm unsure of right now is whether to buy a headset...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
After playing the Wii U and handling the Gampead again I must say that I enjoy that controller so much that I want to play every single franchise with it now. Yes, game series like Gears of War would look nice on the Gamepad. As crazy as this sounds, this is just to emphasize how impressed I am with the Wii U.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: November 04, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »

Welcome back IceCold.

Retro is working on something, but all info that is out there is just speculation. As for Tokyo EAD I'm not really sure if anything had been announced, but I guess that eventually we're going to see a Super Mario Universe game from them.

The console itself doesn't have any special hardware features of note I suppose... ok, maybe the memory, and that it's capable of rendering games in 1080p. The user interface however is interesting, it's called Miiverse. Just watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

If you want to know a little bit on how the console was made, click to read: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/console/0/0

The controller is also a departure from what was on the Wii. It's back to being a regular controller, but you get a phat LCD touchscreen smackdab in between the control sticks. It features Near Field Communications (NFC, think of what the skylanders toys do when their put on the portal), and you can switch the main screen onto the controller screen, so that other people in the room can watch TV.

How the gamepad came to be or something: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/0

In terms of games at launch there are two unique games of note: NintendoLand (Nintendo), and ZombiU (Ubisoft). NintendoLand is a collection of single and multiplayer minigames. Zombi U is a survival horror game.

There are other games of note: New Super Mario Bros. U (launch), Pikmin 3 (launch window, most likely 2013), and a plethora of third party games that have also been released on the other two systems. Third-party support is there, but except for Ubisoft everyone else is on a wait and see mood.

Nintendo's site has quite a good basis for you to see more about what's it all about if you want to know more because I was quite vague. http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Oh ****! I didn't realize IceCold was THE IceCold. The avatar through my off but I knew I recognized the name from somewhere.. lol and I'm not sure why Caliban's post made me realize who it was.

Welcome back!!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U game reviews.
« Reply #4742 on: November 04, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
IceCold... Sounds very familiar... Good to have you back.

First Wii U reviews are up! Nintendo Land and Mario U.

http://nintendoeverything.com/103948/first-wii-u-game-reviews-are-in/

Nintendo Land

- “…Luigi’s Haunted Mansion, Animal Crossing Sweet Day and Mario Chase offer up some of the most innovative, raucous and party-fueling fun we’ve ever had with a console”
- Plaza is filled with all things Nintendo
- There’s menu music for each attraction that bleeps out in NES chimes
- Monita, the floating computer, guides you around the park’s features
- Spend winnings on pachinko-esque coin game
- Win a jukebox, day/night cycle button, and more
- Miis from your console and other consoles through the Internet
- Attraction mode: set up a Nintendo Land party; choose a time limit and player count and then head to a points-based tournament of mini-games
- Multiplayer games are fun, but GamesMaster says the single-player ones are sometimes forgettable
- A few games highlight “some seemingly inherent problems”
- Ex: Takamaru’s Ninja Challenge – “constant screen misalignment”
- GamesMaster says GamePad/TV crossover usually works best when done in tandem
- “As a discerning gamer, you may not find all that Nintendo Land has to offer to your liking, but should you fork out for a Wii U, you owe it to your family, to your friends and to everyone else you know, to bag a copy of this to go with it.”
- Graphics: 90%
- Gameplay: 86%
- Accessibility: 95%
- Lifespan: 82%
- Innovation: 92%
- Overall: 86%
- “An essential purchase for party lovers that whets the Nintendo appetite. Bring friends.”

New Super Mario Bros. U

- May look the same, but there are some “incredible tweaks”
- GamesMaster feels it’s easier than NSMB Wii
- Took under seven hours to complete
- More to the game outside of the main campaign
- Most of the innovation is saved for the final levels
- “Without wishing to spoil anything, we were surprised, excited, and twinkly-eyed during an excellent finale. It’s almost as if Nintendo suddenly realised that they were in fact working with a Wii U, with a game-changing GamePad and everything.”
- Hopes Nintendo will “build on this solid, if not mind-blowing, foundation.”
- Graphics: 82%
- Gameplay: 85%
- Accessibility: 90%
- Lifespan: 80%
- Innovation: 75%
- Overall: 82%
- “A great excuse for families to gather round the TV, and an enticing glimpse of Mario’s HD future.”
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U game reviews.
« Reply #4743 on: November 04, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »
- Multiplayer games are fun, but GamesMaster says the single-player ones are sometimes forgettable
- A few games highlight “some seemingly inherent problems”
- Ex: Takamaru’s Ninja Challenge – “constant screen misalignment”
Ninja Castle minigame uses gyro aiming, that must be what they mean by "misalignment".
Nintendo, why you do this when you have perfectly working IR aiming right there?
Other points only confirm my decision of not getting this game. Funny how the only interesting thing in Nintendo Land to me is graphics -- it just looks so lush and bright.

New Super Mario Bros. U
- More to the game outside of the main campaign
- Most of the innovation is saved for the final levels
- “Without wishing to spoil anything, we were surprised, excited, and twinkly-eyed during an excellent finale. It’s almost as if Nintendo suddenly realised that they were in fact working with a Wii U, with a game-changing GamePad and everything.”
Aw yeah, go Mario.

It seems to be going the way of SML3D Land which is fine cause that game was great, but hopefully this time post game stuff won't be just remixed levels made harder.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4744 on: November 05, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
Hmm that sucks. Takamaru had the same problem at E3. I hoped they would fix it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: November 05, 2012, 03:42:53 AM »
I guess the alignment problem is something they can't fix. Sort of like how Skyward Sword needed the calibration button as a crutch when Motion Plus goes wrong.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: November 05, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »
GamesMaster feels it’s easier than NSMB Wii
Thank the friggin lord for that.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: November 05, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
I'd imagine with NSMB U, the main game is easier then NSMB Wii but the Challenge Mode will end up making NSMB U the harder game to 100%.  My guess is NSMB Wii was considered to hard by many casuals and the Super Guide playing the game for them at these hard parts angered them.  This would also explain why NSMB 2 and 3D Lands Super Guide was the invincible Raccoon Suit so players could still play the game themselves.

So Nintendo will now make the main game easier for more casual people to complete but make the optional content challenging for the hardcore.  This would also explain that one mode that makes the game faster depending on all the coins players get because it's making the main game harder for more skilled players as well.  So I wouldn't worry about the game main adventure mode being easier then NSMB Wii since all the other modes look like they'll make up for it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: November 05, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
GamesMaster feels it’s easier than NSMB Wii
Thank the friggin lord for that.

Maybe I'm the exception here, but I didn't recall NSMBWii being that difficult (with the exception of Bowser at the end).

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: November 05, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »
I somewhat resent the implication that I am some sort of "casual" game player. I will however adopt the Jon Lindemann view of NSMBWii: "harder than Super Ghouls and Ghosts...f*ck that game."
Oui, Mon Gars!