Author Topic: Nintendo Trading Cards...  (Read 6811 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Nintendo Trading Cards...
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
Yes, I'm a consumer whore...

Has anyone else been collecting any of the recent trading cards for Nintendo products from Enterplay?
The new New Super Mario Bros. Wii set is kinda cool.  I've got my set completed, once my last two packages arrive.

...anyone?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo Trading Cards...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
I wasn't even aware of them, I think I will take a look.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:20:10 AM »
I have the old Nintendo card set... one with Punch Out, Super Mario Bros 2, Double Dragon.

Oh this would be the set:

http://trsrockin.com/gamepacks_scratch.html
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
I have that set.  There's a second series of those (which includes some Metroid stuff) that's super-hard to find.  I've seen some of the assorted cards on eBay, but they're usually out of my price range.  An empty box for the second series was listed for $50... don't recall if it actually sold though.

Before this set, Topps also released a similar set for Donkey Kong, based off the arcade game.  I love this set because it features early Jumpman art - and I just love the way Mario was depicted back in the day.  A follow up, "Video City" set featured Frogger, Zaxxon, Turbo and Donkey Kong Jr.  Frogger was licensed and distributed to US arcades by SEGA while, of course, Nintendo owned DK Jr... so this set was, in a way, an early team-up!  (In reality, Topps probably just offered the two some money and, beyond that, they probably had nothing more to do with the set... :))

I received two packages in the mail today!  One was a three foils and two base cards from my New Super Mario Bros. Wii set - pretty much finished it up except for a single gold foil card.  That Gold Foil card, along with the 5 others Gold Foil cards I needed to complete my Twilight Princess set arrived in the other package.  Very happy to have this.

The Twilight Princess set featured a 9-card subset of Gold Foil cards.  These cards were packaged one in every 24 packages and the packages sold for ~$3 each.  So, by the numbers, you'd have to spend $648 to get them all.

I lucked into pulling three different gold foils and one duplicate, which I traded off for another one (made someone very happy, as it was the last one they needed!), but never really planned on finishing this set up.  The individual cards were selling for as high as $50 each on eBay (tend to go for ~$30-$50 now) and, honestly, that's far more than I'm interested in spending on the cards.  Plus, my wife would absolutely kill me.

Anywhoo, found a guy who had several of the cards to sell - and worked out a massive trade with him, involving some of my old duplicates from the various newer Enterplay sets, some of my older Animal Crossing e-Reader duplicates and even some old Nintendo Power Club Cards.  He got a lot of stuff, but it was all extras to me.

With today's packages, I've completed my Enterplay/Nintendo collection (for now...).  My "set" consists of a heavy duty 3-Ring Binder (Club Nintendo should really give away some three ring binders with their school supplies!) with 834 things spread across 97 album pages.  This includes the most recent New Super Mario Bros. Wii set, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy and the European Super Mario Galaxy sticker collection release, Twilight Princess and both sets of Nintendogs cards.  Side note: The first series of Nintendogs cards was released by Nintendo themselves.  Apparently, people involved in that went on to form Enterplay.  I'm not 100% sure what the relationship between the two companies is (does Nintendo own a large stake in Enterplay?  I dunno), but due to the strong relationship between the two, I'm including the first Nintendogs set in the binder with the Enterplay sets.  Besides, it'd be weird to have to split up the Nintendogs sets.

So, basically, I've got five binders of Nintendo trading cards.
Binder 1 is my "various" binder.  It includes the aforementioned Topps sets, the Mario movie cards and other various things.  Mostly Pre-e-Reader stuff, but there are some newer cards in there (Super Mario Sluggers promotional cards are the newest).

Binder 2 is my first e-Reader binder.  It contains all of the various e-Reader cards released in English except for the Pokémon Trading Card Game cards.  I really like this binder, because it's got some various neat advertisements that tease the never-released Game and Watch e-Reader cards.  Also, the Walmart exclusive Super Mario Bros. 3 cards - and, my favorite, four of the super-rare two Coin "special bonus cards" for the Mario Party-e set.  Ideally, these shouldn't be that rare, as they were distributed via GamePRO magazine - but the fact that the majority of the people who subscribed to GamePRO probably didn't give a crap out the e-Reader or Mario Party seems to make these cards pretty scarce.  I found out about them a few months after they were released, went on eBay, found someone selling old copies for about $1 each and I bought all four he had. :D

Binders 3 and 4 contain the rest of my e-Reader set, the Pokémon TGC cards.  This includes all of the various e-Reader promotional cards, including tournament cards and such.  I'm such a nerd, I drove about two hours to attend a pre-release tournament (where-in I learned how to actually play the game) just to get one of the promotional cards (and to trade for a few cards I still needed). #3 has the cards printed up by The Wizards of the Coast while #4 has the cards printed once Nintendo of America took over.

And, of course, Binder #5 is my Enterplay binder. :)

If Enterplay keeps this up, I'm going to have to create a 6th binder...  This one's getting pretty full.  In fact, when the NSMBWii set was released, I actually went out and bought a small, red binder that became Binder #1, pulling the few non-e-Reader cards from #2 and the non-Enterplay cards from #5.  I should have gotten a larger binder. ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:54:57 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:07:09 PM »
Well, for anyone interested, I've started a Facebook Fan Page that's gotten the attention of the President of Enterplay.  He's going to be providing us with some exclusive pre-production artwork, prizes and top-secret info before the masses get it!  So stop by and Like us if you're interested!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Enterplay-LLC-Fan-Page/172075366144288

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
Very cool.

The only Nintendo cards I have are from the old Animal Crossing sets that were released back in the GameCube days.  It's a pretty small collection though, because those cards disappeared  right after I started collecting and are difficult to find now.  Too bad - really would've liked to get more, or at least find a place to trade away my extras.

Kind of glad I hadn't seen the newer Enterplay cards earlier.  As if I need another collecting addiction.
 :)

EDIT:  So... where exactly are these cards sold?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:28:29 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
Enterplay has started selling a nice selection of their products, including most all of their Nintendo products, via their webstore - www.enterplaystore.com

Swing by our semi-official Enterplay Facebook page for an exclusive coupon code for 20% off your order. :D

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
I have some pictures up of the new New Super Mario Bros. Sticker Collection on the Facebook Fan Page.  Swing by and check 'em out! :D

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I can only really justify trading card collecting if their is some really compelling art.  Nintendo properties have the potential but I haven't seen it yet.  Now on the flipside a random figurine or pin set I be a sucker for. The misses is probably happy we don't have the Japanese capsule scene here and doesn't even know it.

Thinking about it I probably get a set with good art that depicting a scene with a bit of story on the back that hit the big points and combined to make a story.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:22:31 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:39:44 AM »
If we can get the Facebook page up to 50 members, we'll be giving away a case of the New Super Mario Bros. Wii Sticker Collection packs along with one of the albums.  These aren't even being sold in the US, so it's a neat prize!  Come by and join is!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterplay-LLC-Fan-Page/172075366144288

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
I didn't want to make a new thread for this and I figured that no one here would be more interested in this than UncleBob (& maybe The Perm), so I'll just post it in here.

http://nintendopapercraft.blogspot.com/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:04 PM »
I like papercraft.  Keep saying I'm going to get into it.  Then I never learn japanese or korean...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.