Author Topic: Earthbound 2 Coming?  (Read 9337 times)

Offline ECubed4

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« on: March 02, 2003, 05:59:30 AM »
A magazine in Japan called Quiter (I think) has confirmed that Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) is in development and will be shown at E3. Now, I have no clue how reliable this source is, but I do think that an Earthbound sequel will be coming soon. So, take this information however you would like, hopefully it will be proven true in May. But, please, don't reply with an onslaught of "you're an idiot for believing this" messages. I just wanted to bring this story to everyone's attention. Oh, and I almost forgot, Earthbound for SNES would also be ported to the GBA. That would also be great news, but time will tell. Out.
Everything is determined by your perspective.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 07:09:04 AM »
i never heard of that site before---so i guess i wouldnt trust it
hopefully though they are making a new earthbound
i mean miyamoto just confirmed in his interview that hal has become significantly larger- usually means they are working on more projects
i would think one of them would have to be earthbound
i dont know how popular it was when it came out but it has a very large fan base now
it is considered one of the funniest games out there
as long as the new age retro hippie returns i will be a very satisfyed man
i call the big one bitey.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 07:11:02 AM »
Lazy bastard.

No offense meant, btw, I kid. It's just as good a title for a link as any.

PaLaDiN in no way targets or discriminates against illegitimate children with the above statement.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2003, 07:11:58 AM »
Like rpglover said
Hal labs is growing
after playing kirby's nightmare and ssbm
I really hope Hal are making earthbound for gamecube
It would be great

even better would it come free with the N64 earthbound beta *drool*

a earthbound port from snes to gba would be sad, the graphics of earthbound are just a tiny bit better then nes

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 07:23:17 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Lazy bastard.

Come on PaLaDiN was that really necessary Well I was sorta hoping that Earthbound 64 would hit GC. As far as I know its been officially canned but those guys put way to many years of work into that game for it not to be released IMO. Of course I also what Fire Emblem to hit the US but thats a completely different topic.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 07:32:52 AM »
I think Nintendo canned it back then for a reason, yes, because it would come too late in the N64 lifespan to sell to its full potential. That was the reason why games like RE0, ED, SFA etc were taken over too.

I bet Nintendo has been working on this for long, and know what value that franchise bears.
I hope its another Nintendo milestone.
LZ 2005

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 08:46:30 AM »
Hal laboratories is making Earthbound 2.  At least, that's what everything says, so it is probably true.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline TKEON230

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 03:51:05 AM »
A lot of reputable sites are now posting this news also.  www.starmen.net has caught on to the hype.  They even have a picture of a shirt for Mother 3 that they found on a Japanese website.  After further investigation it was found that the shirt matches one that was in a screen shot of Earthbound 64 taken years ago.  There's just too much Earthbound related stuff happening at once for this to be fake.  I really believe we'll see an Earthbound sequel on the Cube in the near future.

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2003, 08:05:28 AM »
I just read an interview from Itoi's Japanese website as to why Miyamoto, Iwata and him (Mother 3's project leader) cancelled the game after 6 years of development at HAL Labs.

What doesn't make sense to me about all these rumours is that if Nintendo were to resurrect a classical RPG franchise like this at a time of Final Fantasy returning to Nintendo and several other big RPG's coming exclusively to the GameCube.... what would they need to invest more money in Earthbound 2 for?

Hear me out here, I'm absolutely no RPG fanatical, which made me come to the following strategical (marketing-wise) conclusion that Nintendo might be about to make:

Release Earthbound 2 together with a new Mario adventure at, or shortly after, the launch of the next console in 2005/2006!
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline SriramSiv

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2003, 08:30:40 AM »
so why DID they cancel mother 3? Did they just decide releasing it at that time in N64s life wouldnt get it the sales it deserved? Six years on a game is more than any game ive heard of over the past few years. They must have put it on the backburner for a few years now, porting it to cube.

Offline Phish

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2003, 09:10:48 AM »
Earthbound was so great.  Is there a good reason to not bring this game back?  Gamecube needs more RPGs and to have some great selling titles.  Having a new Earthbound would fill both of those.  And yes I too would love to see the new age retro hippie again.  Hilarious.
Whatever you do, take care of your shoes

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2003, 09:45:26 AM »
I am a massive Earthbound fan.  Next to Chrono Trigger, it is my favourite RPG ever.  Seeing an update to this would be increadible.  This would definatly sell GCNs, it isn't a franchise like the FFs, where if you miss one, no big deal.  You DON'T miss games like Earthbound.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2003, 09:51:56 AM »
I wans never able to get into earthbound.  Don't know why, just didn't find it very interesting.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline [o]CUBE

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 10:29:35 AM »
Earthbound 1&2 are going to GBA where GC may get Earthbound 3 which was for the N64 and get upgraded.... or not thats how it is and Earthbound (Mother) 3 is set to have a worldwide release

Welcome back to the stage of history...............

Offline Jonk

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 11:46:38 AM »
Jonk here from Starmen.net. I was the guy who found this shirt on a Japanese website and we have even more info. This is an article I quickly wrote from collected pieces of information from the past 8 months on Mother3. It's ok for any of the staffers at PlanetGamecabe to use this article by me for their own to report on or use since they are nice guys. I would prefer Mike Sklens or Billy B to post on it though.

Here is the Rumor and News Wrap up.

I hope there is something to report with all this info. As with the new info, we received an e-mail from the person (soul4ger at GamesAreFun.com) who got the source from people who work at Nintendo. You can check out the letter on the main page of Starmen.net (don't worry, I already asked the webmaster if it was ok to talk about it here). The gist of what the letter saids is that three different sources, his Nintendo source, Quiter's Source and EGM's John Ricciardi all say that there is DEFINITELY another mother/earthbound game in the works at least and many of them say more than one which means one for GC and GBA. You will have to read the whole letter yourself to get the full message. I hope all this information is useful somehow to all the PGC'ers and EarthBound fans out there  
A Zealous Imagineer

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2003, 01:34:11 PM »
Thanks Jonk.

Offline JSR

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 04:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the info Jonk.

I too would love to see a new Earthbound. Earthbound was so fun. Hopefully they’ll be an announcement at E3.
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline aycr

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2003, 09:20:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Nintendo
What doesn't make sense to me about all these rumours is that if Nintendo were to resurrect a classical RPG franchise like this at a time of Final Fantasy returning to Nintendo and several other big RPG's coming exclusively to the GameCube.... what would they need to invest more money in Earthbound 2 for?

Hear me out here, I'm absolutely no RPG fanatical, which made me come to the following strategical (marketing-wise) conclusion that Nintendo might be about to make:

Release Earthbound 2 together with a new Mario adventure at, or shortly after, the launch of the next console in 2005/2006!

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is an action RPG, they're not in direct competition. Earthbound is also a smaller, quirkier, and arguably more child-oriented RPG, so you could argue that it wouldn't be selling to the same audience as these other RPGs.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2003, 04:41:10 AM »

Earthbound is also a smaller, quirkier, and arguably more child-oriented RPG

you obviously havent seen the japanese version of mother my friend!

Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2003, 05:23:28 AM »

I just read an interview from Itoi's Japanese website as to why Miyamoto, Iwata and him (Mother 3's project leader) cancelled the game after 6 years of development at HAL Labs.

Then tell us what the reason is???  
LZ 2005

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2003, 08:02:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
Then tell us what the reason is???

The page has quotes saying, that after 6 years of development on Earthbound 2, it was cancelled in August 2000, because it took too long to finish, as only 60% of the game was done so far. So can you really blaim them for putting the project in the fridge? Do you have any idea how often Nintendo do this? A lot, because it's just not worth throwing more money at a project that's not up to speed, especially at the end of a console generation like everyone always says. So if anything is going to get revived there's no telling when, I'll keep my fingers crossed in 2 months from now at E3, but I do not think the game will show up.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Jonk

• View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2003, 08:17:18 AM »
I just discovered through a friend of mine who is a Japanese translator that the shirt was released to a few press memebers right before the potential release of EarthBound64, so its old news, but it is kind of ironic that it is reported in the hubbub of all this Mother/Earthbound sequel news.
A Zealous Imagineer

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2003, 10:54:30 AM »
Check out this- Starmen.net (easily the best Earthbound fansite on the net) has compiled all the Mother 3 rumors from the last 3 months. I'm about 90% sure at this point that Mother 3 is, in fact, in development, either for the GBA or Gamecube. There's even one leg of the rumor mill that say Nintendo will rerelease the first 2 Mother games for the GBA (which is great for non-Japanese, since Mother 1 was never officially released anywhere else).

Mother 3 Rumors
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 12:00:30 AM »
you're an idiot for believing this

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Earthbound 2 Coming?
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 11:17:19 PM »
I met Jonk once. Nice guy.