Author Topic: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning thread of living the country life.  (Read 5916 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning thread of living the country life.
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
So now that the game came out digitally, I took the plunge and bought Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. Don't regret it one bit, even if the opening could be a bit quicker. Anyone else here pick up or going to pick up the game? I've plunged an unhealthy number of hours into it already, but I'm curious to test out the multiplayer mode at some point.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning thread of living the country life.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »
Really thinking I might purchase this game soon but because I want the cow plushie before it becomes unavailable. I wish I could get the yak and the cow but it doesn't seem possible so I'll take the cow. Looks like you lose again digital download.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »
The plushie was the one thing arguing against going digital, but for this type of game I really, really like having it ready on the system at all times.

As for getting both plushies, somebody on eBay has got to be hawking at least one of the plushies, no?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:25:24 PM »
I would have bought this digitally but at the time of its release there was no indication it would ever be available that way, so I bought a physical copy, and now I'm upset.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
The plushie was the one thing arguing against going digital, but for this type of game I really, really like having it ready on the system at all times.

As for getting both plushies, somebody on eBay has got to be hawking at least one of the plushies, no?

Yeah, for $70.00. You might as well buy another copy of the game for that price.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
Holy cheese-whiz I did not realize it was that much.

So I got burned by not hoarding enough honeycombs in Spring. Are there any other materials I'll need for the town's restoration that are purely seasonal?

Offline dkopman1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
I am debating purchasing this game but the only thing holding me back is I have never played Harvest Moon. Is it a good game for someone new to the series?

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »
I've got around 56 hours sunk into the game, and I've only had it for a week. It's definitely my favorite game in the series. Of course, I've only played Back to Nature and Tales of Two Towns, but I was never able to make it past winter in those games.

That said, I'm only on on my first winter in A New Beginning, but I've already proposed to my chosen bachelorette (Iroha), and I've got tons of goals to look forward too.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »
I am debating purchasing this game but the only thing holding me back is I have never played Harvest Moon. Is it a good game for someone new to the series?

Then you are lucky. Your first Harvest Moon game is always fun and special. You don't think farming would be addictive and at first the game doesn't seem like much but as you start put a bit of time in it, it soon becomes an obsession. Any game is good to someone new in the series although the one I think is best to play for a first time is Harvest Moon: Magical Melody but from the sounds of it, this sounds like a solid entry.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
The problem for me with this series is even though there are good new versions, I can't help comparing them to Friends of Mineral Town, which to me is just the perfect iteration of the series. Once they start putting GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console I really hope that comes out.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »
New Beginning is threatening to overtake 64 as my favorite in the series. They've done a great job of putting in enough new goals, that take just enough effort to achieve, while giving you just enough time in the day to accomplish most-but-not-all of what you want to do, to keep the game going.

The beginning was a  bit too slow for my taste, but I can see it being a big boon for newbies. Really recommend picking it up, dkopman1.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
The problem for me with this series is even though there are good new versions, I can't help comparing them to Friends of Mineral Town, which to me is just the perfect iteration of the series. Once they start putting GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console I really hope that comes out.

Interesting. I passed over that game because, frankly, I didn't like the look and had forgotten it. Now, you've got me really curious to hunt down a copy and try it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:23 AM »
If you've played Back to Nature you've pretty much played it already. They basically just took that one and ported it to GBA. There were a decent amount of improvements, and the load times that plagued the PS1 game were eliminated, but it was still the same basic game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
If you've played Back to Nature you've pretty much played it already. They basically just took that one and ported it to GBA. There were a decent amount of improvements, and the load times that plagued the PS1 game were eliminated, but it was still the same basic game.

Nope. I'm a Nintendo Loyalist. Only own Nintendo consoles and no others and can count on one hand the numbers of games I played on a console not made by Nintendo.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »
Well then definitely play Friends of Mineral Town. For my money it's still the best in the series nearly a decade later. Given Natsume's attitude toward Nintendo's digital platforms, I'd expect it on the eShop at some point once the GBA games start showing up.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
But is Harvest Moon FUNKY?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »
Alright. I'll add it to my games desiderata. Not that I need to purchase another game but that hasn't stopped me yet.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
But is Harvest Moon FUNKY?

AND fresh!

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is going to by my next 3DS purchase. I skipped the first 3DS game because of the mediocre reviews and I just felt over-saturated with the franchise. I just counted and I own 6 Harvest Moon games along with 4 Rune Factory games. But when I starting reading reviews/impressions I start getting the itch. They are fun, relaxing, rewarding, and you can get a ton of hours out of each game.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »
This is the last Harvest Moon game I'm going to buy, ever.  I realized about mid-Summer of the first year that I keep buying new Harvest Moon games every couple of years in a foolish attempt to re-create the magic of when I played Harvest Moon 64 way back in '99.  However, I'm not 13 years old anymore and I don't have the time to sink into this game that it requires.  I'm sad about that, because I really like these games in principle...just not in practice.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
This is the last Harvest Moon game I'm going to buy, ever.  I realized about mid-Summer of the first year that I keep buying new Harvest Moon games every couple of years in a foolish attempt to re-create the magic of when I played Harvest Moon 64 way back in '99.  However, I'm not 13 years old anymore and I don't have the time to sink into this game that it requires.  I'm sad about that, because I really like these games in principle...just not in practice.

Honestly, as magical as both original and Harvest Moon 64 were, I couldn't get into the GCN version of the game and didn't play my handheld enough to try out those titles.. but once I played Rune Factory Frontier.. oh man. I'm still addicted to this game. It's harvest moon meets pokemon action RPG. I didn't think I'd have the time to sink into this game but my save file says otherwise. If you're burnt out on Harvest Moon, try Rune Factory!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
I don't suppose anyone here can see their way to trading for a bit of brown alpaca wool?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »
All the talk of this prompted me to go back and play Friends of Mineral Town, which wasn't as good as I remembered, so I moved on to Harvest Moon DS, which does hold up, and is probably my favorite game in the series. I may go back to this one at some point since it sounds like it really picks up later on, but I'm going to sell my physical copy and buy it on the eShop when I get the urge to play it again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
Sadly, I agree 100%.  One of my friends came over to my house back when I was in high school one Friday night with the original Harvest Moon.  When he told me what the game was about, I laughed and said how stupid it sounded.  By the end of the weekend I think I had put about 15 hours into the game.  Picked up the N64 version when it came out and the game was magical.  Since then I bought both Gamecube games but neither really caught my interest.  Played the first couple Rune Factory games and while they're fun, didn't quite capture the magic  of Harvest Moon 64.  I have one of the DS games (I believe Sunshine Islands) and one of the Wii games (I believe it's Animal Parade) both unopened that I'm planning to play someday, hoping to enjoy them but not overly optimistic because, like you, I just don't have the time that these games require.

I think that the Harvest Moon series would be better off if it had a little more structure to the game and things progressed more quickly.  If they made it into a game that lasted 20 hours or so with the core elements of what makes Harvest Moon so fun but with more of a story and more interesting things happening regularly, I think it'd be more interesting of a series.  Then again, maybe the problem is more that I've changed than that the series has.