Author Topic: WiiU Settings Questions  (Read 2223 times)

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
WiiU Settings Questions
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
Hello Everyone.  I just got my WiiU and have been messing around with the settings.  There's a couple things I was hoping to change and thought I might as well ask this fine crowd before spending hours digging around.  Thanks ahead of time!

1. Is there a way to make the "Wii style" menu the default Home screen on the TV.  From what I can tell, it forces the Plaza on the TV and the "Wii style" menu on the gamepad.  I'd like that reversed.

2. Is it possible to remove some of the floating icons in the Plaza?  For example, one of my current floating icons is the Settings button.  Kinda stupid.  I'm sure they represent the most used apps, but I was hoping it could be customized.

3. The edges of the display are going off of my TV screen when I'm on either Home screen (Wii-style or Plaza).  Can I adjust this?  There are not options in the general settings to finely adjust the width and height of the display.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I find it bizarre.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: WiiU Settings Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
Not that I know of for 1,2 and 3.

I have gone through all the settings to see what I can tweak.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
For 1 just press X. It's instant anyway.

So far 2 can't be customized, but don't see why it couldn't be updated to do so in the near future.

I have the same issue as you do on 3. It bugs me quite a bit.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
Well, I can't help you with numbers 1 or 2, but the Overscan issue can at least be temporarily dealt with via your TV settings.  More than likely, you have your TV set to 16:9 picture display by default (which on my Vizio TV is just called "Wide"), which is the standard aspect ratio for HD resolution.  What you need to do is to open your TV's Settings and set the Picture mode to 1:1 (which on my Vizio TV is just called "Normal"). That should mostly fix the Overscan issue, though hopefully Nintendo will fix this self-inflicted problem themselves in a Wii U firmware update because neither of the other 2 HD consoles have this issue.

Number 1 bugs me as well (no, Nintendo. If I'm using the Wii U, the TV is the important thing to be looking at, not your latest gimmick-focused controller), but yeah at least you can easily flip the screens with the push of a button.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:16:26 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:05:43 PM »
Also, the screen size can be adjusted for Miiverse. Not the other aspects of the Wii U OS, but there is a place to adjust it in Miiverse.

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
Thanks, Broodwars!  I ended up fixing problem #3 be turning Overscan off.  What am I losing when that is off?  What does it do?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »
With Overscan off, you don't unlock the secret Minus world in New Super Mario Bros U.

Offline mysticgohan

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
With Overscan off, you don't unlock the secret Minus world in New Super Mario Bros U.
lol classic!