Author Topic: Safe Words 16 - Next-Gen Edition  (Read 40864 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Words 16 - Next-Gen Edition
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 10:13:02 AM »
Man, have I never been more hopeful for some Kushrenada fist shaking than I am right now.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
I choose Beyond Good and Evil 2

And with that, everyone else is given a bomb word and Khushrenada automatically wins!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »
But on a serious note, I'm going to sell all my furniture so that I can get me a copy of Destruction Allstars. Of the limited launch titles remaining at this retailer today, I just don't see any way in which this title could not be a success.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »

Fortnite was a success, Rocket League was a success. Both will launch day & date with the new systems for zero Dollars. So what could Sony do wrong by launching a new IP from the studio behind Goat Simulator taking inspiration from both on the same day, also including micro payments, but with an extra 70$ pricetag up front?!
That's what businessmen call a safe bet; Khushrenada lives to gamble another day.

Will Mop It Up be our next AllStar? (I hate they spelled it like this).
-   Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
-   Gears Tactics
-   Godfall
-   Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
Whew! I knew that was a wise investment. Made it through the danger zone.

Here's a graph showing the level of tension for the players as we progress through this round:

And I thought I had it tough with my turn but it's even higher for the next player!  :o

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Whew! I knew that was a wise investment. Made it through the danger zone.

Here's a graph showing the level of tension for the players as we progress through this round:

And I thought I had it tough with my turn but it's even higher for the next player!  :o

Mop it up and Pokepal are before me.  I want Mop it up to make it to the next round. Not so much on pokepal.   If both are safe then I hope my choice is still there.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2020, 12:43:21 PM »
Stakes are raising!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »
Not so much on pokepal.

LOL! Hear that, pokepal? BeautifulShy wants you to choke on that stick of butter you're still eating!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »
Not so much on pokepal.

LOL! Hear that, pokepal? BeautifulShy wants you to choke on that stick of butter you're still eating!
Culvers was actually tasty the other day.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »
Never heard of Godfall so sure we'll go with that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 04:02:35 PM »
oOOOooo. As one of the gods of Safe Words, that's a bold choice!  :o

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »

A bold choice indeed, but not a wise one...
While attempting to demo the newest build of Godfall, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchfork takes to the stage of the Doritos Game Awards but unfortunately loads up the wrong USB drive. Yikes!
While the looter slasher (that is definitely not a live service game despite requiring a constant Internet connection) impresses visually, audiences never forget the fated stage presentation.

Godfall bombs at retail, taking Mop It Up with it on its way down.  :'(
Hope you'll still pop in to clown on the other players!

Pokepal148 will set the next bomb, no doubt greased with extra butter.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
Seriously? Who chooses some random nothing game as the first choice?!

I guess there's a first time for everything, but I sure have had the worst luck the last few games. I guess one can't be on top (3) forever.

Also, shouldn't Khushrenada get the bomb word choice? Or have you changed the rules for this game?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
Seriously? Who chooses some random nothing game as the first choice?!

I guess there's a first time for everything, but I sure have had the worst luck the last few games. I guess one can't be on top (3) forever.

Godfall looks like the most soulless game ever, too. Bummer to go out on that one, sorry. I mostly included it over more interesting projects because Gearbox are easy to make all kinds of jokes about. Didn't even get to my Colonial Marines comparison!

Also, shouldn't Khushrenada get the bomb word choice? Or have you changed the rules for this game?

Hmmm if that's how we used to do it I guess I did it wrong?
It's not explicitly mentioned in the Safe Words 15 rules, which I based this game on. I just made this assumption and nobody objected to the rules of this game (quoted below) which I'm certain everyone read studiously  ;).

I've already asked Pokepal for the next Bomb Word, and don't love the idea of changing rules mid-game. So  unless people feel this is a deeply unfair change somehow, I'm inclined to stick with it. Open to feedback on the subject though, I did not realise the rules here deviate from the norm. My apologies for this confusion.

The rules: There’s a list of 12 games supposedly launching day & date with the next-gen consoles. This number is equal to the amount of players.
Players take turns in picking one of these game titles from the list. If they pick a Safe Word, that player secures a spot in the next round. If they pick the Bomb Word, that player is eliminated from the game. Once a title has Bombed it is eliminated from the pool.
Which of the game titles is the Bomb Word will be decided by whoever would be next up to pick a title. For the first round, the Bomb Word is decided by the player who is last in play rotation.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2020, 04:58:30 PM »
Well, traditionally the last person in the rotation for a round would select it. With Pokepal being the one who should be next to select a Safe Word and thus be the first player in the next round then that would put me at the end. The argument for that order is that everyone is taking the same amount of turns selecting safe words and trying to avoid the bomb words. Now, it's possible that some people will have had to twice avoid selecting a bomb word while pokepal will have yet to do that action in this game. Further to that, why have the last player in this round, Mr. Bungle, select the bomb word instead of the first player, Stratos, in the rotation? You seem to set it up in this game to follow that old pattern.

However, you're the host and can do as you please. People host Mafia differently then I do and while I may have a preference on how rules are handled, I try to roll with the differences and work with it. And this wouldn't be the first game where the rotation is handled differently. Lucario did a game in which no one knew who'd be selecting next for awhile. So, you have precedence to tell everyone to back off and accept the rules have changed with Next Gen.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »
No worries, I should have checked out your rules post since you're a new host. My bad!

I'm actually okay with mixing up rules and seeing how things play out, spices up the games. Not that my input matters anymore.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
Also, sad to see you go Mop. (Should have been Insanolord!) I took look at the last game and you made it to 5th just shy of the Final Four but that was the mid-point of the game out of 9 players. That's not bad. 50/50 luck. Not sure what 14 was like.

I mentioned that you, me and nickmitch were in the danger zone this round for selecting the bomb word and sadly I was right. I was basing that thought from my experience hosting the game and where about it seems players often select the bomb word in a round but I've never done any study on the games played to see if there is a certain spot or average to say if that's true with any certainty.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2020, 05:32:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't know Mr. Bungle very well. Is this his first game? For some reason I was thinking that he simply chose the one at the very top of the list.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
Well, traditionally the last person in the rotation for a round would select it. With Pokepal being the one who should be next to select a Safe Word and thus be the first player in the next round then that would put me at the end. The argument for that order is that everyone is taking the same amount of turns selecting safe words and trying to avoid the bomb words. Now, it's possible that some people will have had to twice avoid selecting a bomb word while pokepal will have yet to do that action in this game.

Yeah honestly using that usual pattern makes more sense. My thinking on how I wrote the rules was this would lead to less repeated Bomb selections by the same players in the later rounds, but these rules hardly prevent that either.

Basically I goofed and didn't catch it, so I'd like to change back to the usual/previous format. But Pokepal would need to be cool with that too since I did already ask him, and changing now does rob him of an advantage. I'll PM him and will post here how we're continuing the game. Apologies for the confusion I caused.

EDIT: Regardless what happens, we revert to the usual rotation system ASAP. Either this round already, or at the start of next. Again my apologies.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:49:46 PM by Discord.RSS »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
Basically I goofed and didn't catch it, so I'd like to change back to the usual/previous format. But Pokepal would need to be cool with that too since I did already ask him, and changing now does rob him of an advantage. I'll PM him and will post here how we're continuing the game. Apologies for the confusion I caused.

Hahaha! You're the host. You don't need to wait for a player. You can just send a pm saying you sent the message to the wrong player and move on. I goofed in the last Mafia game by telling the Mafia they had collected the Metroid forgetting you had the ability to tie and capture it for yourself which you did. I didn't then tell you that I needed the Mafia's permission to correct the mistake. I gave you the Metroid and apologized to the mafia for getting their hopes up but there was another factor in play I forgot. It happens but in the end the correct ruling was made. Let me select a bomb word and keep this train in motion.  ;D

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »
Yeah, I don't know Mr. Bungle very well. Is this his first game? For some reason I was thinking that he simply chose the one at the very top of the list.

It is his first game but I never thought about that possibility. These remaining selections were pretty much all games I'd heard of. Godfall seemed to get mentioned a bunch on the NWR Discord after Ubisoft's summer video reveals so it didn't seem like a nothing game to me. That's why I was leary with all remaining choices since they had familiarity and I thought he might have chosen something with familiarity to himself as well.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
Yeah, I don't know Mr. Bungle very well. Is this his first game?
Is it that obvious? :-[
My thought process was the same as yours. I had never heard of Godfall so picked that one.
Now if everyone else could explain how they pick the bomb word it would be very helpful  ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
Now if everyone else could explain how they pick the bomb word it would be very helpful  ;)

It's very simple. I ask myself, if I was the person choosing the bomb word, what would I pick? Then I select that choice because the other person obviously isn't me and therefore won't have selected it. I just wasn't counting on the factor of the host working to sabotage me by taking away my divine right of selecting the next bomb word. ;) He acts like pokepal is the victim here but he's not. He's the benefactor of this mistake. I'm the victim.  >:(  :'(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2020, 07:46:26 PM »
I s'pose you Discordians have an advantage, but I still refuse to go there!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »
I s'pose you Discordians have an advantage, but I still refuse to go there!

Well, I admit, my interest in posting there and daily checking up on it has began to wane in the past month. (Who needs Discord when we have Discord.RSS posting here?) Problem is that even with posting a bit more on the forums of late, all the slow activity seems to have eroded most other regular member's checking in and posting as well. So, it is either stick with the slow burn of forum conversation here or hope to join in a flash fire conversation there that soon goes out and disappears. Looks like the real option for conversation these days is fast becoming letter writing. I just need to buy some stamps and I'll be set to go.

Also, it wasn't any advantage as Mr.Bungle revealed he selected Godfall from not knowing anything about it like you. So, the Discord bump had nothing to do with his selection.