Author Topic: Rate the Last Book You've Read  (Read 11787 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the Last Book You've Read
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »
Yeah I was actually going to pick up Prelude to Foundation, but that book opens with a chronological listing of the books so I went and got The Complete Robot, after using B&N's free wifi to check on wikipedia about whole series.

The way I estimate/hope for, is that when I reach the Galactic Empire series, the Nook Color will be for sale, and I will have enough saved to buy it and not sabatoge my savings.

Just a side note, I'd probably have a Kindle already if it wasn't for the black and white. I understand the e-ink argument, but I have read a number of ebooks on my computer, so I don't see there being much of an argument against reading on an LCD, maybe it's problematic for others, but not for me.

I've never read Prelude to Foundation, but it was written after the original trilogy, so it may contain some spoilers.

Also, I agree about reading on an LCD screen; I know some people hate it, but I've never had an issue with it, and I read on my iPad all the time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
My eyes feel strained reading for long on screens. Plus holding a real book in my hands and turning the pages just feels so satisfying. And I love having walls of books at my place. I enjoy browsing them and picking older ones I've read before to reread.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 03:24:42 AM »
A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets 2004: 0/5

It was as boring as it sounds, but I had to chug through the whole thing.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
Mindscan by Robert J. Sawyer

I had to read this for my philosophy class, and I just marathoned through all 360 pages in five and a half hours. It had a decent plot: a sci-fi story about the capability to copy people's consciousnesses into android bodies, and the moral, ethical, and philosophical ramifications of it. While the plot's not bad, the author's not a particularly good writer, especially in terms of the incredibly ham-fisted political commentary. Certainly not the worst thing I've ever been forced to read, but I'm still not happy about having to read it, especially over Christmas break.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
"Written in Stone" by my friend and colleague Brian Switek. An excellent compilation of paleontology-related history lessons, from feathered dinosaurs to odd myths surrounding early mammoth discoveries (a leaping carnivorous elephant? Why not?).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »
"Written in Stone" by my friend and colleague Brian Switek. An excellent compilation of paleontology-related history lessons, from feathered dinosaurs to odd myths surrounding early mammoth discoveries (a leaping carnivorous elephant? Why not?).

How readable would you say that is? I love history but if it is too technical I might not be able to follow it. Then again, I was the kid that read his history text book for fun in high school (and the dictionary too) so I really shouldn't be worried about readability.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
It's VERY readable. Definately for a casual audience, and you'll learn so much.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »
I don't read as much as I used to. Its what I did to pass time before I was seriously into video games. I have a number of books waiting to be read though... Funny enough I have a number of games waiting to be played... Maybe getting married and having kids is what got in the way??

Anyway, the wife wants a Kindle, so maybe more reading is in the future. Anyone here have a kindle, or another e-reader thing? Ipad for those inclined? I looked at several different devices, and the Kindle seems to be a good choice, considering the costs and features.

For a few of my favorite books, The Stand and It rate highly with me. I read each one over seperate weekends. Just me, a book, a liter of Mountain Dew, and a bag of Doritoes hanging out on my waterbed. I also enjoyed Jurassic Park and the sequel. Much more in depth than the movies. Even if some scientific facts have to be fudged. Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time are some childhood favs, along with Where the Red Fern Grows.

I have waiting Dune, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the novel tie-ins to Halo and Mass Effect. A Star Trek one as well. Oh, and the novelization of The Force Unleashed. And Harry Potter.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:17 AM »
I can't compare it to other devices, but I have a iPad and it works fine (I haven't bought any books, but you get a free copy of Winnie the Pooh when you download iBooks). The problem with the Kindle (compared to other e-readers) is that it is in black and white.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 12:45:01 AM »
I love the ereader functionality of my iPad, especially considering I can also read all the books I've bought on it on my iPhone, so if I have time to kill but don't have my iPad with me I can still read them, and my position and bookmarks automatically sync between the two.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
Last book I probably read (for fun)...Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (maybe 3rd one), like 20 years ago.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »
Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker 1-6: 9/10

Fantasy novels that creates an alternate history in colonial America. People in these books have a 'knack' that allows them to things like, always make a perfectly tight barrel, find people from pieces of their hair and blood, look down the paths of people's futures, etc. The main character, Alvin, is a maker, whose knack is understanding the workings of things, and being able to make, or change them, however he sees fit. The end game is for him to teach his ability to other people since his knack works basically like theirs except he can do more because he understands more, and for him to build a city in America where the people he teaches can continually learn and teach others. He has a force of nature and his younger brother as enemies, and his wife, who can see the future, constantly sees his death.

There is a seventh book in the series, yet to be released, and that is really the only bad thing about the series. Some unfavorable things in the book from my view, are the many, many, many side characters, and the ton of doubt and uncertainty from the main character. Other than that, the series is great, and I'm looking forward to finishing this series and getting into some of his others. I still haven't finished the Vampire Chronicles, and barely scratched the surface of the Foundation series, so we'll see what happens.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »
I have never in my life before completed a nonfiction book. When I was assigned a nonfiction book in school I would skim through the pages, ask my friends about the story before class, or simply guess at the answers and take a few low test scores, but I never read them. I actually did this for most books I was assigned in school until my junior year of high school when we were assigned To Kill a Mockingbird, which I loved.

I say that to say that I recently read two non-fiction books and loved them both. The first I read is Chasing Lincoln's Killer, and I give it a 7/10. One of the reasons I picked it up was that even though it was nonfiction it was short, so I figured I would give it a try. I read it over three days (reading along with another book I still haven't finished), and was disappointed to learn that the book was the 'young adult' version of a much longer book called Manhunt: The 12-day Chase For Lincoln's Killer. Having read the short version, I'm not sure if I can read the longer version, but I would really like to, because the story is very informative and is told narratively, as opposed to dictatorially which is what drove me away from nonfiction in the past. It was good and interesting to learn all of the events that followed Lincoln's assassination, and I'm thinking now of reading other such books.

I then read a book called Shot in the Heart, which I give a 9/10. I'll be honest and say that what made me pick up this book was its name and cover, but after reading the praise for the book (also on the cover) I realized it was nonfiction, but because of the first nonfiction I completed, I decided to read it. It's a book about a famous killer from Utah, his family, his life, and his troubles, named Gary Gilmore, told by his youngest brother Mikal Gilmore. I found myself relating a lot to the author, despite the vast differences in our childhoods, from what I read of him, told by him, in a lot of ways, we've grown into similar people, or at least, in the way we look at things. I felt the same compassion mixed with confusion and anger that he felt for his brother, and every such troubled child. Maybe it's just the way he told the story, that would make anyone feel the emotions he went through, and have the same level of compassion, but there are some stories that he includes from his adult life that mirror some of my own experiences, or at least the reaction I had to them. The story was great, interesting, and really opened my eyes a little bit to another side of America, and a history that is often overlooked.

As an aside, reading Mikal Gilmore's book made me think of researching and reporting on someone's story who only gets the smallest of passing mentions in Mikal's book, but who I found immensely interesting.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
I didn't know we had this thread.  I've been reading the Wheel of Time series since I got my Nook.  Once I finished all that and the last book I didn't have any Raymond Feist to read so I figure I read something else by Brandon Sanderson, took over Wheel of Time.  My Step-Father had "Elantris" his first book by my understanding.  That was the last book I read.

This book is more or less written in the style of a Novella.  Large complex world where only a small portion is use, I find short stories and Novellas tend to have more complex worlds then full novels.  Sanderson does a good job of weaving a lot of independent threads that all tie in together at the end where you sort of a Super Sonic moment.  How this book was writen it could easily be branched off to more books or RPG campaign if so inclined.  It is a good read and a strong first work.  I don't think anyone will be saying its a classic but, a good start to a career.  If you liked the last few and the first few books of the Wheel of Time series you should like this as well.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
I just loaded the "Wheel of Time" series onto my Nook the other week! However, I haven't started it yet. Too many other titles waiting ahead of it.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
I just loaded the "Wheel of Time" series onto my Nook the other week! However, I haven't started it yet. Too many other titles waiting ahead of it.
Do yourself a favor and look at the awesome cover art on the eBooks.  It is great.  If you don't think so go to a star and look at the cover art on the physical editions.  I will warn you know the first few books are good.  The middle ones start to feel like taffy being stretched and get sort of rambling.  Then when Brandon Sanderson picks it up after Robert Jordan dies he takes it back to the better pacing in the first few books.  I love my Nook.  I'm glad I have one of the originals and not the Nook Color.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
I agree 100%. I wouldn't want a Nook Color. They're fine tablet if you root them, but they're not reading devices. I like my e-ink. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
I've used this thread to pimp John Swartzwelder's books, and I have two updates to that. First, he has a new book out, The Fifty Foot Detective, which I have yet to receive in the mail, let alone read. Second, some of his books are now available on the Kindle store, including my two favorites, How I Conquered Your Planet and The Exploding Detective. As I've said before, they're fantastically hilarious; they read like Simpsons episodes, as they should given how many of those Swartzwelder wrote (59, including the one my avatar is from).

J.P. Corbran

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
I got a Kindle for Christmas, and it has increased my consumption rate of literature substantially.  The first thing I read on it was The Song of Albion.  It's a trilogy based on Celtic legends.  Very heavy allegory.  A dude winds up in another world, falls in love with it, finds out that influence from his world is damaging it, and that the damage is in turn diminishing his world.  I was really into it until the third book, in which a quest through a terrible and depressing land dragged on until it became terrible and depressing.  I'm not sure I can recommend it, but I think I liked it more than not.  I had to struggle out from under it and felt like I needed some literary candy to recover.

So I picked up Goblin Quest.  Then I picked up the rest of that trilogy, too.  It's about a goblin named Jig who is pathetically weak even among his pathetically weak species.  Things kick off with him being pressed into service by a typical D&D-esque adventuring party, and he gets deeper and deeper in over his head from there.  It's a very fun, fast read.  It manages to parody, subvert, and play straight the usual fantasy trappings all at the same time.  I recommend it to anyone who regularly enjoys fantasy about wizards and orcs and quests.

After that, I wanted some science fiction, and I picked up the first of Jack McDevitt's books about far future antiquities dealer Alex Benedict, A Talent for War.  These books are about investigations into mysteries from history.  The history just happens to spread out over hundreds of worlds nearly 10,000 years in the future, so there are archeological sites full of ancient flying cars on other planets that are older from the protagonist's point of view than the Great Pyramid is in the real world.  The stories are chiefly about the investigations, including interviews and historical records, but there are some good action sequences, too.  If you like mysteries and science fiction, I recommend the series.

I spent the last couple of months reading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, which includes 12 books so far.  They're about a modern day PI who is also a wizard.  Things start off as almost a parody of hard boiled detective fiction with fairies and demons and ghosts and multiple different kinds of both vampires and werewolves.  These are crime novels in which homicide may be committed via arcane ritual or by supernatural predators on the loose.  Or arcane rituals to summon supernatural predators.  And perhaps supernatural predators are also the ones doing the rituals.  I can't recommend this series enough, though I should warn anyone who's interested that book 12 ends in a massive cliffhanger.  The next book is due out this year, thankfully.