Author Topic: Resident Evil 7 To Come To Switch Via Cloud Play  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Resident Evil 7 To Come To Switch Via Cloud Play
« on: May 20, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »

Not the first time we've seen this type of game on a Nintendo system.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/47250/resident-evil-7-to-come-to-switch-via-cloud-play

Resident Evil 7 is coming to the Switch, but not in the way some expected.

Capcom's main office in Japan have released a video showing "Biohazard Resident Evil: Cloud" coming to Switch on Thursday (May 24). The horror title originally released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in January of 2017, and will require an internet connection to play on Switch. Pricing for the game has been announced as 2000 yen for a six month rental, and a free trial of the first 15 minutes will be available to test the connection.

Similar technology has been used for Dragon Quest X on 3DS and a version of Phantasy Star Online 2 for Switch, though this is the first time it has been used for a single player game on a Nintendo system.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil 7 To Come To Switch Via Cloud Play
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »
This is such a bad idea.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
This is very surprising news. When I first heard the news, I thought it was a joke.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
A streaming version of a single player game on a console whose main gimmick is its ability to be taken on the go, notably away from an internet connection. And it’s like $18 for just a six month rental.

Capcom is like a parody of Capcom now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
I don't get the hate though. It would be nice if it never went away...but this is basically GeForce NOW for Nintendo Switch. As long as you have (fast) internet you can play it. Far from ideal...but it's not that bad. GeForce NOW on the Nvidia Shield (same chipset as the Switch) works fantastically well in all of my experience.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:47:42 PM by BranDonk Kong »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »
Resident Evil 7 is an incredible game...that absolutely, positively should not be played like this.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:37:17 PM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
It's better than not getting to play it at all. If you don't have a PS4 or Xbone or gaming PC, then this is the best way you can play it. Has anyone here used GeForce NOW? I 100%'ed Batman Arkham City on that using my Nvidia Shield. It ran at 1080p 60FPS the entire time with no lag 99% of the time and incredibly low input latency.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:23:01 AM »
It's better than not getting to play it at all.
Is it though? I’m not concerned about performance. This sets a bad precedent. I’d rather get Doom-like ports than $18 rentals. If this succeeds, more third parties are going to try this. For a console as popular as Switch, we’re already not getting some ports (e.g. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4). I absolutely would have bought a physical release of Resident Evil 7 on Switch. I have no interest in this cloud version.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 01:07:01 AM »
Prediction: I have subscribe to play Ace Attorney 8 for $60 for 30 days in the year 2020. Games. As. A. Subscription. Service.
(GAASS)

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 01:10:05 AM »
Classic Crapcom, so close, yet so far.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 03:37:49 AM »
I'm just telling myself this is only for the Japanese market and the rest of the world will get a proper version.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:02:01 AM »
I'm with Brandogg here....If Switch is the only console I have, and I want to play RE7, while you may prefer to own, $20 for a 6 month rental isn't a BAD price.  Redbox does $1-2 per DAY, and even my local rental store does similar to that cost structure. 

I also think there are some games where presentation and how it looks is more important than others.  I imagine a horror game like RE7 is a situation where you'd want it looking the best possible, in a dark room (not traveling on a bus or out on a sunny day).  If streaming it was the way Capcom felt they could keep the presentation to an acceptable level in a game I expect most would only want to play once or twice, I see the logic in offering it as a rental rather than an own for a downgraded port.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 09:50:23 AM »
I'm shocked, shocked I say, that this objectively bad idea is getting the "-shrug- it's better than nothing" treatment.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
I'm shocked, shocked I say, that this objectively bad idea is getting the "-shrug- it's better than nothing" treatment.

Or maybe we have a difference of opinion ? 

You've stated it's bad without any reasoning why.  Others have concerns about ownership of a game vs having to rent it if Switch is their only console.  Adrock mentioned an issue of not being able to play RE7 on the go if it's a streaming-only option.  And there have been slippery-slope arguments about a precedent being sent.  If those things concern you?  No problem, it's easy enough to not buy it, and Capcom won't continue if there's not a financial incentive.

This news doesn't really affect me since I could play this game on PS4 or PC.  But, if Switch was the only way for me to play it, I PERSONALLY would be fine with it being this option assuming 1) the streaming is stable, 2) It looks on-par with its PS4 counterpart, and 3) They're charging what I consider reasonable.

$20 is reasonable to me assuming the above for what is basically a rental.  two weeks to rent this thing alternative methods would be almost the same amount.  I find this absolutist position of "if I can't own a down-ported version on Switch, then Capcom shouldn't bother at all" hot take kind of baffling.

[/size]

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
Hey look, Amazon has Resident Evil 7 for $23.69 for PS4, and I can own it...for like EVER!  Reading this reminded me of companies doing not-so-brilliant things and wondering why it didn't go well commercially. 

Does anyone else remember...

1)  When EA released the Mass Effect Trilogy on XBOX360 and PS3 and then charged full price for Mass Effect 3 for Wii u?  That's smartZ!
2)  Nintendo ran an "experiement" with the GBA e Card Reader of selling NES Classic game cards for an unreasonably high price.  I don't even remember the price (any one??) but I remember thinking "Are you kidding me??  That much for NES games in the early 2000's?"   

I had a lot more but suddenly got busy/lazy. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
$20 for a rental, I'm not sure if that feels high or if I just don't like the idea of it being a rental.  I don't rent games currently, so that's certainly an adjustment.

I would personally prefer a "Doom-like" port since I've been traveling quite a bit for work and mainly play my Switch in portable mode with little to no internet access.  And I'd rather this not set a precedent for that reason.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
That joke was right there the whole time, and no one else in this thread took it. I’m ashamed of myself.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 12:52:25 PM »
I was honestly surprised the article was up this long without it!

Offline ForgottenPearl

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
Okay, I'm confused.  Why not just let us download the game and keep it?  I don't understand much about cloud gaming, but wouldn't having to put up with your Internet connection the entire time to run the game make things worse?

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
I don't understand much about cloud gaming, but wouldn't having to put up with your Internet connection the entire time to run the game make things worse?

Regarding this part of your post, depends entirely on the quality of your internet connection.  Game streaming is a thing, albeit niche, and my experience has been that it works acceptably provided that you have a stable/not weak internet connection.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
Just going to drop this tweet from Daan and walk away.

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/998466206465175552

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »

Wait, wired connections to the Switch are capped? Through the USB ethernet dongles, the bandwidth is limited somehow?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
This is the best idea ever and I applaud Capcom

For saving me money due to their bone-headed decisions.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.