Author Topic: Worms W.M.D (Switch eShop) Review  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Worms W.M.D (Switch eShop) Review
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Want to beat up a worm in a grandma wig? No particular reason why. You just can here.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/45928/worms-wmd-switch-eshop-review

A long time ago, I considered the Worms series to be one I could play endlessly. The simple-to-understand strategic elements sunk their hooks into me for hours on end, especially with the endearing character design. My preferences have shifted over the years, so much so that I forgot to pick up Worms W.M.D when it originally released on other consoles. Naturally with the Nintendo Switch version out now, I was more inclined to give that one a go. I'm so glad that I did, because Worms remains a charming experience that I can't stop tinkering around with.

Unlike some of the recent entries, Worms W.M.D goes back its roots in spectacular fashion. Developers have said it’s basically a follow-up to the classic Worms Armageddon. The 2D gameplay sees you moving around units, picking a weapon of choice with the goal of hurting or killing as many opponents as possible. You can get a strategic edge by utilizing the environment and ensuring multiple casualties in a singular moment. The battlefield is awash with crisp graphics and all sorts of silliness that are weirdly warm and cozy. The Worms spout their usual one-liners and farewells like they always have. You can even personalize the names, phrases, and animations when you get ready for multiplayer matches. That last part shouldn't be a surprise as the tense and comedic back-and-forth battles are what Worms thrives on. You can play on one system, locally against other Switch units, and even over an internet connection.

The gameplay is a throwback to the classic Worms games, but alongside that throwback is the core element that falls somewhat flat: the camera. I found that it didn't cooperate at moments, which took up time from my turn. This is something that you get used to in time, but the results can be pretty harmful. It caused some moments to crumble right in front of me. As a result, I was at war with first few single-player levels, restarting them often because of camera snafus. The single-player campaign is nothing too insane, but it’s enjoyable to go through the missions. It helped me to prepare for what was to come in the multiplayer and offered challenging new perspectives.

For all the returning weapons and gameplay, Worms W.M.D still has plenty of new content. Standard weaponry, like grenades and guns, are all there. If you want to step up your game however, you can look for turrets and sniper stations in the levels. A lot of destruction can be caused with these. Vehicles such as tanks and helicopters are also available for mayhem. In both instances, the opponent can take these objects from you and immediately use them to throw off your strategy. It is a fun new layer to an already sharp experience. It makes for more excitement in matches, because the tides can turn quickly.

In the grand scheme of things, Worms W.M.D feels like a return to form for the franchise. With sharp visuals and addicting 2D gameplay, it hits all the notes I want. Sure, the camera could have been more modernized, but its shortcomings are worth dealing with. The hours flew by in not only the single-player levels, but also the constant stream of multiplayer matches. If you are searching for a strategic timesink, this game can get you quite far.