Author Topic: The Wolf Among Us  (Read 6298 times)

Offline RarityGamer

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
The Wolf Among Us
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »
Anyone here finished it?

I've just completed the final episode and I really hope they start a season 2. The way the story ties up while weaving the other issues effecting fable town into the plot was done well. The characters and setting has been superbly done throughout this series and I hope we see a S2 after Tales of borderlands and Game of thrones.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:39:16 PM by RarityGamer »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The Wolf Among Us
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
I stopped playing it after Episode 2 when my save mysteriously "vanished" from my PS3 HDD despite being backed up to "the cloud". I've been meaning to get back to it, so now that they're all out now I'll probably make time to start over again.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:45:23 AM »
I should buy this. Is it coming out on disc?

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:06:58 AM »
The other Telltale games did, so I'd imagine so.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »
I have the Season pass for PS3, would have like it for Vita but I digress, on a good sell and strong recommendation.  I have yet to even start it.  I should but I don't know if it be this month with the Destiny Beta, Press X 4G, and P4G.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:40:11 AM »
I finished it late last night.  It's probably my favorite Telltale series to date, and I've enjoyed it a bit more than TWD.   My only real complaint about the series is really that it's gotten so far away from an adventure game format at this point; it was always been light on the puzzle elements, but now it mostly feels like a choose your own adventure visual novel on rails with some QTEs thrown in.  The first episode had a few neat, if mostly inconsequential, investigation moments, but it felt like the series focused on conversations and fights after the second episode.

Still, the story was well-done, the plot points were mostly tied up nicely and the climatic confrontation was engaging (as were most of the fights in the series).  It's interesting that as I got more invested in playing as Bigby, I felt less ambiguous about letting him cut loose during fights (to the degree that the game would actually let me.)  I still refrained from having him go lethal when possible, though.

I have to admit that I was kind of confused by the meaning of the final conversation with   Nerissa at the end of the story.  Was it implied that she was actually a glamoured version of Faith that Bigby met in the opening scenes of Episode 1?   Also, I'm surprised that the game mostly forgot about Crane.  Last we heard, he was supposed to be on a plane to Paris, but as he was mostly a liability, I wouldn't be surprised if the Crooked Man had Bloody Mary get rid of him.  .   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:43:31 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:22:10 AM »
Crane had ran off to Paris. Apparently, he gets what's coming to him in the comic anyway. As for Nerissa, it's left open to interpretation. When she walks away and says "you're not as bad as everyone thinks" Bigby starts remembering that's exactly what Faith said to him in episode 1. Bigby then remembers other incidents where she's acted or spoke just like Faith and it leaves us thinking, who is she?

She's either Faith glamoured as Nerissa and Nerissa died on the first night (remember, the girls sometimes covered for each other) or The Faith we met at the start was actually Nerissa trying to get Bigby to pay attention to what has happened. It kinda makes more sense for Nerissa to be Faith in disguise. Faith's Fable story had her as the "master of disguise" and she felt bad that Nerissa was killed for her mistakes while glamoured to look like Faith.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:39:08 AM by RarityGamer »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
I've finished it, but ultimately didn't like it too much. As was said above, Telltale has totally abandoned the puzzle aspect of things at this point, and the last few episodes of Wolf are almost completely on rails, with a few screens where you can walk two feet for no reason and then trigger an event. The story itself was unfocused and the final episode wraps things up pretty perfunctorily/artificially. I've looked up what happens with some of the other major "choices" in this season, and no surprise, they turn out to have next to no effect on the narrative. Just like the final episode of the 1st season of the Walking Dead. I wouldn't mind this artifice as much if they were still trying to make these games interactive.

(Also, I've read all of Fables up to a few months ago, and think they really got the tone wrong with a story/characterization of leads that is nothing like what would appear in the comics. But whatever.)

Offline RarityGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
I can see where you're coming from on the gameplay point. This could of easily have been made into a more of a investigation for you (the player) as you looked for evidence and connections. There was even a few moments where it felt like you should of been given more freedom to solve Bigby's current challenge yourself.

Having said that though, I still really enjoyed it. I don't think the plot was bad or had any real issues. It was pretty well planned out and hit different issues within' that world well. As for the choices, yeah. It was the same in TWD and Mass effect, so it was no suprise nor was I bothered about it. As for the tone, I haven't read the comics yet, but others I know that have are happy with the game too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:51:53 PM by RarityGamer »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
Wolf Among Us Season 2 is coming!

I hope it makes it to the Switch.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 11:41:11 AM »
As much as I loved The Walking Dead: Season 1, The Wolf Among Us was IMO the BEST modern Telltale game, interesting characters, world, lore, story, and a thread of confusion/questions over the ending.

I hope they can do a sequel for this game better than they did on TWD.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »
Wolf Among Us S1 was good, but IMO Telltale's best work is easily Tales From the Borderlands. It's not only easily the best-written Borderlands game, but it's the rare Telltale comedy (remember when they made those?).

I'm excited for more WAU, if only because it's not another mass media franchise, but I'd prefer more Tales.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Wolf Among Us S1 was good, but IMO Telltale's best work is easily Tales From the Borderlands. It's not only easily the best-written Borderlands game, but it's the rare Telltale comedy (remember when they made those?).

I'm excited for more WAU, if only because it's not another mass media franchise, but I'd prefer more Tales.

I'm automatically gated-off from being interested in that one just because Borderlands is a series whose humor never clicked with me, and I couldn't stick with it when I tried playing it. Figure there'll be too much I'm not getting from that game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

I'm automatically gated-off from being interested in that one just because Borderlands is a series whose humor never clicked with me, and I couldn't stick with it when I tried playing it. Figure there'll be too much I'm not getting from that game.

No problem, but FYI the humor in Tales is both different & better than what's in the main games. Telltale writing vs. Gearbox writing. Also, I think Tales can be enjoyed without previous BLnds experience. Ceric did.