Poll

Are You Going to Buy the Switch?

Nintendo had me at Switch (Hyrule Warrior)
4 (66.7%)
Nintendo's done it and I'm buying a Switch before the year is up! (Mario Maniac)
0 (0%)
I'm going to buy but feel no urgency to do so anytime soon. (Smash Fighter)
0 (0%)
I'm still waiting for specific software to be announced/released before I'd buy it. (F-Zero Activist)
1 (16.7%)
Still unsure. (3DS is best!)
1 (16.7%)
Nope. I still see no reason for me to buy this. (Overwatch Elitist)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?  (Read 57674 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
No use in denying it, I'm a diehard Nintendo fan and I proactively plan and budget for Nintendo launches. The only question in my mind now is whether I buy one, or two (one for my younger brother).

That said, I DO want to see more details about launch games and general 1st year support. While I dig the concept, history shows that without the actual games to play, both 1st and 3rd party, things turn rather bleak rather quickly.

Also because I need to budget for launch games.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
I see that you're trying to make me sound like a moron by dismissing my opinion. I respect your decision.
You're not a moron. I get what you're saying now. To clarify, claiming your Wii U games are defunct is inaccurate which is what caused the confusion. You plan on ditching Wii U so you wouldn't be able to play the games anymore since Switch doesn't have an optical drive. You ridding yourself of a perfectly functional console doesn't render the games you're keeping non-functional which is what defunct means.

Considering so few games used the second screen aspect of the Gamepad effectively, I doubt it'll be difficult to bring those games to Switch.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
Unless something happens between now and March, this'll be the first Nintendo home system I buy day 1.

Largely because I have to.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
I would have told you yesterday there was no way I wouldn't be picking up NX at launch and this reveal certainly hasn't dissuaded me from that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 05:55:45 PM »
I want to know more about the available library. If it has access to android stores than it's a day One purchase.
If it doesn't do that, it's probably a Christmas purchase.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »
I'm conflicted, I'm super hyped for Switch but on the other hand I'm not impatient and I still have a bunch of games I have sitting unopened on systems I already own which I'm happy enough to chip away at while the Switch builds up a library. I'd put myself down as Switched On at this point, that could change as we get closer to launch though.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »
That doesn't make the discs defunct. They'll still work on a Wii U.
Which I'll be ditching because I don't have shelf space for two gimmick-laden Nintendo consoles.
Ah, so they'll be, like. defunct in your mind.
Yeah, right on, man, eff Nintendo for that, eh?
I see that you're trying to make me sound like a moron by dismissing my opinion. I respect your decision.
Nah, just ribbing you a litle.  ;D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 06:07:47 PM »
I will get it day one. The last Nintendo console I did that with was the Wii, which I had a LOT of hype for going in. Despite my eventual disappointment most of that stemmed from getting into HD gaming and Wii didn't satisfy that itch, I have a PS4 so this is an easier sell for me. I have been wanting a 3DS so if there is a slim chance this is compatible with 3DS games then its easily a day one.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 06:12:18 PM »
Depends on the price and the sku but I'll probably get 2. One for me for my commute and one to stay in the house for the kids. As long as we can share the dock i have no issue. 

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
Depending on how things are sold, this could be a nice piece of hardware for families. If consoles can share one dock then people can easily take turns playing their games, and the extra hardware might allow for some neat local multiplayer modes (similar to what you can do with the DS family now).

A potential downside would be if you have to buy an "all in" type package and end up with more stuff than you need... but even then, many families these days have multiple TVs.  It would be cool to have a dock at each TV and be able to relocate your gaming experience by literally taking it with you into the next room.
NNID: ejamer

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »
Is this Back to the Future? What do you mean these days most houses have had multiple TV sets basically my entire life. We also have more than one computing machine, our own smart phone and most their own individual tablet. There is no way they don't find a way to sell this thing to families with multiple kids. But does each kid really need their own tablet for this if they can just sync up the Joy Con say to their smart phone and use that? There will be some solution I am positive and if its a separate machine like a 3dS 2 or something that has to have its own games this will be the same thing all over again.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
I don't know about that.  Granted, I don't know where my age falls in the average age range here, but growing up, my family only had one television until I was in my teens, and even then, it was because my aunt was getting divorced and wanted to get rid of a lot of her stuff from her first marriage, including their dusty old TV. 

I was sort of thinking a technology integrated home has been more prevalent over the last 10 or so years, but maybe it's a sign of how out of touch my home is set up compared to others today.  Got one TV with the systems hooked up in the living room, then a small tv in my bedroom with the dated consoles hooked up for when the kids are in bed and I want to be nearby in case they wake up.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
Sharing?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
Well just because your family had one TV doesn't mean that is normal. Hence why my reference to a film form 1985, when it was common for most American households to have more than one tv set. In fact I have never met anyone that has only 1 TV in their house, not in my entire life. Maybe some grandparents maybe but not families with kids.

Well I clearly referenced  a film from the 80's so it's been common at least since the 80's for most households to have more than one tv, in fact even check out the sitcoms you see on TV they all have more than one TV. It's less common TODAY because the TV has been replaced by tablets and smartphones.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:11:01 AM by supermario2k »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 11:21:04 AM »
I believe I've gotten every post-SNES Nintendo console within the first six months, so I'd imagine that will be the case with Switch. ButI might be extra price sensitive this time around depending on how much I can get out of my N3DS stuff on trade-in. I'm really hoping the baseline Switch SKU is no more than $300, although if there was a BotW bundle for that price I'd probably readjust outlook to day one.

Although, I might just get Zelda fever anyway and make an unwise financial decision when March arrives.

As for backward compatibility, I wouldn't hold out much hope for digital versions of WiiU games. I do not think the Switch is going to be strong enough to emulate the previous architecture. Wii games might even be a stretch.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm super duper hyper mega nick knack patty wack sold. Mainly because I know 99.9% of all
Of Nintendo's efforts will be placed into this thing! That other .1% will be mobile/quality of life stuff I may or may not jump into.

If we only get a single 2D Mario within a 5-6 year span I will be so super happy! No more lesser Smash Bros to keep my Ice Climbers at bay either!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »
I can't say I'll be day 1, but I'm sure I'll own it before Xmas.

I don't game much anymore <read: casual phone gamer now>, but I have a knack for owning all the Nintendo systems (except for the Virtualboy).

I could still pick it up at launch, depending on if something gets me hyped, but as for now, I'm Sold, just not waiting in line to be first.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
I'm very excited for it, especially with the new 3D Mario since everything Tokyo EAD has done has been amazing but I'll probably wait a while before buying the system.  Right now my number one goal is to at least catch up on much of my backlog.  Basically I want to at least finish playing all my Wii U games before moving on to the Switch, which means it might not be until 2018 at the rate I'm going. :-\
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
I'm 100% sold on it. I will get the Switch when the new Mario comes out. If that's a launch title, then I'm day one. If that's a November 2017 title, then I'm waiting a while. Unless BotW on Switch is the better version of the game. Then I'm day one regardless.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »
I'm going to wait and see.  We don't know the price and the only launch game confirmed is Zelda and I see nothing here to suggest that this version will be better in any way than the Wii U version and I already own a Wii U so I don't need to buy a new console for that.  I only bought a Wii U last year and still have lots of games for that that I can give a go.  I'm interested in the new Mario but for all we know that game is a year away and the Switch could end up like the 3DS where there isn't much at first and a significant price cut occurs early on.  The Switch's very nature would also allow for potential alternate SKUs that are handheld-only or console-only.  I really only care about playing this at home so if I could save some money with a model that doesn't have the handheld portion that would work really well.

The PS4 is also starting to get some games that are attracting my interest.  With the PS4 Pro still on the way a PS4 purchase seems foolish right now.  So what sort of support will the Switch get?  If those PS4 games I'm interested in show up there then I would naturally prefer to go with Nintendo.  Since the Wii U is finished and presumably the 3DS is also getting replaced by the Switch I'm without a "current" videogame system and there are a lot of factors that go into the decision of what I go with.  Might as well wait.

But the answer is not a resounding "no" like it was with the Wii U, where I knew from day one I would only pick it up towards the end of its life if I could find it cheap (which I only sort of did since who knew the stupid design would prevent price drops).  This seems like it has a lot of potential and lacks a dumb gimmick that will infect the first party games.  I feel like with only a few exceptions Nintendo did not bugger up their Wii U games controls like they repeatedly did with the Wii but when it was first revealed I assumed they would have annoying touch controls grafted into every game.  With this?  What could they screw up regarding controls?  I can't see any Star Fox Zero like nonsense getting made here because the system's very design doesn't allow for it.  That makes me much more enthusiastic about it.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2016, 07:49:32 PM »
Well just because your family had one TV doesn't mean that is normal. Hence why my reference to a film form 1985, when it was common for most American households to have more than one tv set. In fact I have never met anyone that has only 1 TV in their house, not in my entire life. Maybe some grandparents maybe but not families with kids.

Well I clearly referenced  a film from the 80's so it's been common at least since the 80's for most households to have more than one tv, in fact even check out the sitcoms you see on TV they all have more than one TV. It's less common TODAY because the TV has been replaced by tablets and smartphones.

Dude, why are you being all snarky about an offhand comment? Sharing your experience is great, but you need to accept that your experience is only possible viewpoint that others have different experiences.

Not every family values TV enough to own multiple sets. Not every home has useful places to put multiple TVs. And as you yourself point out, streaming media is generally much more valuable today than an actual TV anyway.

Back to the Future wasn't a showcase of an average family life was like, it was a movie. Media awareness tip from someone who grew up in the 80s: don't assume that silly movies show an accurate portrayal of life for average families, regardless of what decade they were made in.

Edit: Truly sorry for the "young/foolish" comment. That was out of place, and now edited out.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:18:07 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
It looks like a really expensive ds so far, but if the price is reasonable then yes I'll buy it.
Made you look ****.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
whatever. ::)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:00:04 PM by supermario2k »

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 06:07:59 AM »
 :P:
Made you look ****.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »

Just giving my anecdotal experience  :D .  I fully accept my childhood could have been out of touch in comparison to my peers.