Author Topic: Metroid II Remake Has Finally (Had The Hammer) Dropped  (Read 14030 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Metroid II Remake Has Finally (Had The Hammer) Dropped
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:18:44 PM »
So I saw on Twitter today that the years (maybe as many as eight?) long one-man fan project to remake Metroid II: The Return of Samus in the style of Zero Mission is finally complete.

You can download it for free here:

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Here's a picture!

I played about an hour and a half of it today, and it's pretty goddamned impressive. It's more constrained than Zero Mission given the structure of the original Gameboy game, but it so far has managed to slip in some surprises and add some more coherent gating within the tiered labyrinths. Each Metroid encounter feels more individual (I spotted one that was in-between growth stages) and the game overall controls perfectly. Thus far I'd believe this was a professional, polished Nintendo product.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:42:53 AM by Shaymin »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid II Remake Has Finally Dropped
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:08:34 AM »
Pretty cool remake. Having completed the original relatively recently i still remember where things are.

It took me some time to get used to diagonal aiming, because i never played SNES run'n'guns that had it (Contra games or Super Metroid for that matter).

Interesting that game keeps Gameboy's square aspect ratio but resolution (i think?) is bigger than in original because Samus doesn't look as big as in original which created slightly cramped atmosphere.

Not sure how to feel about cling to corners mechanic a-la Spelunky:

I am going to trust remake developer that he didn't break original game's maps by introducing this.

Visually, it's very interesting to see reinterpreted sprites in colour:

^ no idea why this particular fly enemy looks like Samus' ship

Developer also added some story logs:

Probably to explain some weird architecture on Metroid home planet. I am looking forward to read how he's going to explain final area. Also i want to see how it looks visually because it was already cool looking (and sounding) in original.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
Looks good. I don't have a controller to play this on. I was thinking of getting an Xbox One controller, but I just bought a bicycle and an Airdyne bike for health/death prevention purposes so I don't have a lot of expendable cash at the moment. I'm looking forward to more of azeke's impressions as he typically gets pretty in depth with them.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
Yeah, Azeke did a way better job than I of breaking out impressions.

Speaking of which, regarding the ledge grip: I think it works well here. As you mention, the claustrophobic framing of the Gameboy original is gone, so they had to kind of stretch out the map design to compensate, so the gripping feels natural with the arrangement of space. The pushed-out sizing also lets them slip in new stuff pretty organically.

I played another hour this morning, and while I originally thought this was a pretty conservative adaptation, it appears that the designer has diverged more and more the deeper you get, to good effect. The areas are well-themed and differentiated, and the soundtrack is great (sounds like advanced-chip tune Metroid Prime).

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:31:06 PM »
Head up. If you want to play this you better download it ASAP. Nintendo is starting to drop the hammer.

https://twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 09:22:30 PM »
Head up. If you want to play this you better download it ASAP. Nintendo is starting to drop the hammer.

https://twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388

Grabbed the download as soon as I heard, for exactly this reason.

Sadly, from a legal standpoint I think Nintendo is almost required to drop the ban hammer on a project like this, aren't they? Which is a crying shame, because this looks like exactly the type of Metroid game I want to play and would be willing to pay for. Please: give me that opportunity!

(On the other hand, both the Mother 3 and Project Zero 4 fan translations are still available. And there are reports that a bunch of the DMCA takedown requests supposedly coming from Nintendo have really come from an anonymous troll instead. So... not sure exactly what to believe?)

It would be incredible to see a Metroid 2 remake on 3DS... Maybe someday that will happen. In the meantime, I hope the developer ends up getting the recognition he deserves. By all (early) accounts I've read, this looks like a fantastic fan remake.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:30:25 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 01:05:53 AM »
Oof, that sucks if the takedown is for real. I mean, I guess from a bloodless corporate perspective a free remake of Metroid II is technically competing with the $2 Gameboy rom on the 3DS eshop, which might make Nintendo another couple thousand bucks. While it would be great if Nintendo licensed the work for official release, that kind of thing just does not happen.

Did this remake rip assets from the GBA games?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »
Wouldn't Nintendo skip straight to the cease and desist rather than use the DMCA?

And wouldn't they go after the main website rather than a rehoster?

And wouldn't they have done something with the demo considering it's been around for years?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
yeah, I had been anticipating this for a long time. too bad it dropped right when my computer is dead. I Downloaded it on this laptop that I can't play it on to transfer it later, but yeah...

... actually, this might inspire an RFN E-mail.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
Sadly, from a legal standpoint I think Nintendo is almost required to drop the ban hammer on a project like this, aren't they? Which is a crying shame, because this looks like exactly the type of Metroid game I want to play and would be willing to pay for. Please: give me that opportunity!

Yeah as I understand it, once you copyright something, you need to defend that copyright. You can't selectively let amateurs make fan-projects with your copyrighted name/image/etc, but then double down on commercial parties who want to profit from that copyright. That would be unfair competition, so you need to defend your copyright from every infringing party, regardless of intent.

Unfortunate, but yeah, if they let their copyright get diluted that's a terrible position to be in for Nintendo.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
And wouldn't they have done something with the demo considering it's been around for years?

The demo was no different then most Nintendo fan games.  Just short little project made from ripped and modified sprites isn't something that Nintendo cares about.  The problem is the final version of this game is a full remake of Metroid II that gives it the Zero Mission treatment that not only are people praising, but many are saying it's so good it could easily pass as a real Nintendo game. 

In other words the games problem is it ended up being too good.  There's a billion Mario and Pokemon fan games that Nintendo doesn't give a **** about sense none of these come close to offering the experience and quality the main games do.  With this game the guy basically made something that could easily pass as a Nintendo made Metroid II remake, which is a big no-no to most companies since it's a free product that's actual competition to their main products now.

Edit:

Looks like this whole thing might be a hoax since Metroid Database still has the download link up at their site and hasn't been able to confirm if the DMCA came from Nintendo themselves.  Usually when Nintendo orders something taken down it's very clear the issue comes from their legal department unlike what seems to be happening here.  Apparently the DMCA came from Oregon instead of Washington, which is very suspicious since anything from NOA would come out of Washington.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:34:34 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
Thanks MagicCow, I really wanted this, and I got it soon after you posted. I'm going to play the 3DS version first, but I figured Nintendo would get it taken down almost immediately, and I'll want to check it out later.

I'd love to play it on the 3DS, along with Zero Mission, and Axiom Verge. I've been kind of saving Metroid 2 and Super Metroid since the 3DS Metroid library is so limited. I might get 2 in soon and then save Super Metroid for what currently looks like a sparse winter.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
And ****, the release post has been removed from the creator's site, so it looks like the takedown was real. Still, it's out in the wild, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a copy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 09:23:46 PM »
I've seen it pointed out that it's interesting Nintendo just now shut this down. This didn't come out of nowhere, it's been in development for a long time, and they could have sent the guy a C&D a long time ago like they have with other similar projects in the past, but they waited until it was done and publicly released to take it down. Like they were doing it because they legally had to, but intentionally letting it be finished so it could get out here before they did it, knowing the files would still float around long afterward.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
Kinda depends on how closely Nintendo has been following this.  I honestly didn't know about this until it came out.  At that point, most of the videogame accounts that I follow on Twitter were tweeting about it.  So, to me, it seems plausible that Nintendo wasn't fully aware until it was finished or at least didn't expect it to get as far as it did.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »
They pulled the Nintendo Power archives too, if my news feed sidebar is to be believed. Sad that we can't have nice things.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 11:57:49 PM »
Kinda depends on how closely Nintendo has been following this.  I honestly didn't know about this until it came out.  At that point, most of the videogame accounts that I follow on Twitter were tweeting about it.  So, to me, it seems plausible that Nintendo wasn't fully aware until it was finished or at least didn't expect it to get as far as it did.

Like I mentioned earlier the likely situation is the games quality is what worked against it.  Most Nintendo fan games go unnoticed by the masses unless it's something like Project M that requires Smash fans to buy Brawl to use anyway so it's a win-win for Nintendo.  This game was so above and beyond what normal fan games are and as a result was getting so much more attention then normal that it created a situation where Nintendo not only knew about it but had to take it down.

The guy who made this should just pull a Freedom Planet (which started as a Sonic fangame) and alter it enough so that he can then sell it as an original title.  Yeah it would take some time but would be worth it in the end since he already has the core of a great game in place and could then actually make a nice profit on his almost decade of work.  This is the problem with fan projects like this is you'll always be at the mercy of the actual IP holder.  Yeah Nintendo is usually fine with fan games as long as the creator doesn't try to profit from them but no Nintendo fan game have gone as far as this game did in terms of quality and matching the production value of an official product.  He should have at least figured he was getting into unknown territory with what he was doing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Metroid II Remake Has Finally (Had The Hammer) Dropped
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »
Now, who asked for the NPs to be brought down - Nintendo, or Future? (Keep in mind NOA stopped caring about Nintendo Power right when Future took over in 2007.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 08:38:28 AM »
Nintendo should just buy the game from him and officially release it for their system.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
Now, who asked for the NPs to be brought down - Nintendo, or Future? (Keep in mind NOA stopped caring about Nintendo Power right when Future took over in 2007.)

Who is the company publishing the retail versions of comics (Zelda and Mario) from those old mags?
Either that entity, or whoever is licencing the content to them for printing, has a pretty solid reason for wanting to remove the free (and totally unauthorized) copies being provided online.

Still a shame. I wasn't likely to use digital copies of old mags in any meaningful way, and certainly wouldn't pay for them, but have fond memories of Nintendo Power from my childhood and would have enjoyed browsing the online archives for short time out of nostalgia.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »
While it seems odd that after all this time Nintendo waited until after it released to cease and desist it, this is Nintendo.  They're clueless cuckoo heads at the best of times so I think it would be very believable that they were completely unaware of it until its actual release raised its profile enough to attract their attention.

While I completely understand why Nintendo would drop the hammer on this, and I would do the same in their shoes, it's frustrating when you look at how disconnected they are from the Metroid fanbase.  Metroid isn't a huge selling series but it's a very well respected one with a dedicated fanbase.  In the last several years Nintendo released a very infamous dud of a Metroid game and is just now returning to the series with a spinoff that plays nothing like Metroid, has a graphic style that is nothing like Metroid and is unwanted by the Metroid fanbase.  This unofficial remake is actually more what the fans want than what Nintendo is offering.  Nintendo is shutting down a game the fans wanted and is pushing their own game the fans rejected the second it was revealed.  Nintendo could have easily created their own Zero Mission style take on Metroid II during this time.  When you're shutting down a game that better resembles what the fans want than your own title then you're embarrassingly out-of-touch with your fans.  If Nintendo were smart they should look at the situation and realize their approach to Metroid has been wrong.  But instead Federation Force will bomb and they'll come to the conclusion that Metroid doesn't sell.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »
...  But instead Federation Force will bomb and they'll come to the conclusion that Metroid doesn't sell.

Seems cynical, but I've seen enough Nintendo decisions that I'll bet on this outcome.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »
I think the lack of Metroid games over the last six years would suggest they've already come to that conclusion.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
Alright, just finished the game today, took around 6.5 hours. I found the pneumatic transport room at about hour 5 and paused to go back to the previous areas and clean up, and I was quite surprised to see that I was at 100% when I saved before the final boss to check. I feel like that would not have happened in a full-on Nintendo game, as I did not go crazy power bombing every room and whatnot looking for secrets (I've played Super Metroid three times and never got above 90%).

Which kind of feeds into my overall assessment of the game: It's a really cool project and a clever adaptation of Metroid II, but in the end it doesn't quite get to the level of Fusion or Zero Mission. I was pumped when the new stuff started showing up mid-way through, but it becomes clear that most of the additions are kind of half-baked or just inconsequential. Like, I was pleasantly surprised to find the research ship on the surface, but it turns out to be tiny and just have an energy tank and a forgettable mini-boss. The power plant was probably the only addition that I thought was fully effective. And aside from the new stuff, it's chained the original's structure which doesn't hold up that well in terms of general level design.

Definitively worth checking out, but I also wonder what I would think about it if i wasn't constantly cross-checking it against the Gameboy game, which I played earlier this year. I also feel like Nintendo would have put out a superior adaptation given the limitations of the base structure, with something even more off the rails than the suit-less section in Zero Mission. Like, the queen wouldn't actually be the queen, and would unleash another round of 'troids into the planet or something for a surprise back-half of the game.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 08:05:43 AM »
While it seems odd that after all this time Nintendo waited until after it released to cease and desist it, this is Nintendo.  They're clueless cuckoo heads at the best of times so I think it would be very believable that they were completely unaware of it until its actual release raised its profile enough to attract their attention.

While I completely understand why Nintendo would drop the hammer on this, and I would do the same in their shoes, it's frustrating when you look at how disconnected they are from the Metroid fanbase.  Metroid isn't a huge selling series but it's a very well respected one with a dedicated fanbase.  In the last several years Nintendo released a very infamous dud of a Metroid game and is just now returning to the series with a spinoff that plays nothing like Metroid, has a graphic style that is nothing like Metroid and is unwanted by the Metroid fanbase.  This unofficial remake is actually more what the fans want than what Nintendo is offering.  Nintendo is shutting down a game the fans wanted and is pushing their own game the fans rejected the second it was revealed.  Nintendo could have easily created their own Zero Mission style take on Metroid II during this time.  When you're shutting down a game that better resembles what the fans want than your own title then you're embarrassingly out-of-touch with your fans.  If Nintendo were smart they should look at the situation and realize their approach to Metroid has been wrong.  But instead Federation Force will bomb and they'll come to the conclusion that Metroid doesn't sell.

I kinda find it hilarious that this is happening in the same year that Sega has unveiled it's unprecedented collaboration with a pair of fans who have been making engines and level design for their own Sonic fan projects for YEARS.

The REAL shame here is how many dead metroid pitches there probably are. Unseen64 have uncovered a couple of these talking to former NST and Mercury Steam likely did the same at around the time they were muucking up Castlevania.

I'm pretty confident that Nintendo has to know there's desire for this. they HAVE to be looking at the numbers on stuff like Axiom Verge, Ori, Cave Story, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (by the way, I'm pretty confident one Matt Bozon dreams of doing a metroid game)... I mean, our very own Dr. Johnathan Metts told the head of the american branch of the hydra that is Nintendo to his face.

I think nobody in Japan has the drive to do this, and they don't trust a team outside of themselves to do it. NoA thinks otherwise and they probably tried to keep a lid on AM2R, and the lid got blown off of it by all the coverage the game got and NCL caught wind of it.