Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 664130 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#Team2017 Wins Again!)
« Reply #1700 on: August 04, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »
I'd be shocked if Nintendo went back to the New Super Mario Bros. well. My guess is a Mario Maker port or a full 3D Mario but not Galaxy 3.

Trying to get smartphone gamers to upgrade is an interesting play, one we've all discussed here. We know Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are coming to iOS/Android. Like Wii, Nintendo wants people to eventually move up to Mario and Zelda. That said, I don't think it's going to work on a scale that matters. If the rumors are true, Nintendo's mobile games will be playable on NX so fans can get them with or without a smart device. Fans of those series are likely where most of the revenue will come from. Still, the extra revenue from these titles is good for the company.

If NX is a portable that can dock to a TV, that isn't a bad move. Nintendo is betting on what has historically worked in the past. The dock is just a bonus for people like me who don't really like handheld gaming.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1701 on: August 04, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »
Rumour that Nintendo is aiming to get a Zelda, Pokémon and Mario game out for the NX within the first six months of its life:  http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

Sounds great in theory but I know that not all Mario and Pokémon games carry the same weight.  We know that Zelda will be Breath of the Wild but Nintendo could fairly easily crank out another NSMB and a Pokémon Stadium game to pad out the lineup (or maybe a Pokken "sequel" in the typical incremental fighting game style).  Better than nothing obviously but not the amazing thrill that a Mario/Zelda/Pokémon sounds like at first.  Both Mario and Pokémon have lots of spinoffs.  It would be very easy for Nintendo to technically check those boxes.

The article also says "It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers.” which is not really up my alley at all but certainly SEEMS like the approach Nintendo would take.

Upgrading smartphone gamers doesn't sound like the next, great 3D Mario adventure.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 04, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »
Rumour that Nintendo is aiming to get a Zelda, Pokémon and Mario game out for the NX within the first six months of its life:  http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

Sounds great in theory but I know that not all Mario and Pokémon games carry the same weight.  We know that Zelda will be Breath of the Wild but Nintendo could fairly easily crank out another NSMB and a Pokémon Stadium game to pad out the lineup (or maybe a Pokken "sequel" in the typical incremental fighting game style).  Better than nothing obviously but not the amazing thrill that a Mario/Zelda/Pokémon sounds like at first.  Both Mario and Pokémon have lots of spinoffs.  It would be very easy for Nintendo to technically check those boxes.

The article also says "It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers.” which is not really up my alley at all but certainly SEEMS like the approach Nintendo would take.

The story smells fishy.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 04, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
We know Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are coming to iOS/Android. Like Wii, Nintendo wants people to eventually move up to Mario and Zelda. That said, I don't think it's going to work on a scale that matters. If the rumors are true, Nintendo's mobile games will be playable on NX so fans can get them with or without a smart device.

This sounds really horrible actually.  If the NX can play the mobile games then Nintendo might feel that the mobile games "count" as a proper entry in a series and they don't have to make something a little more legitimate.  It would be better if the platform was separate from mobile so that Nintendo would feel the need to create a Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing game designed specifically for the NX, which would presumably be a much better experience than a phone game.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 04, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
We know Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are coming to iOS/Android. Like Wii, Nintendo wants people to eventually move up to Mario and Zelda. That said, I don't think it's going to work on a scale that matters. If the rumors are true, Nintendo's mobile games will be playable on NX so fans can get them with or without a smart device.

This sounds really horrible actually.  If the NX can play the mobile games then Nintendo might feel that the mobile games "count" as a proper entry in a series and they don't have to make something a little more legitimate.  It would be better if the platform was separate from mobile so that Nintendo would feel the need to create a Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing game designed specifically for the NX, which would presumably be a much better experience than a phone game.

Yeah I call bs on that story, makes no logical sense.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 04, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »
Miyamoto made some comments around E3 this year that made it sound like there was little chance we'd see a new Mario game within six months of the NX launch. In fact, he wouldn't even commit to it showing up at E3 next year:

"We're always challenging ourselves to create something new, so hopefully you'll see a new kind of Mario in about a year or two," Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview with IGN.

"Maybe next E3 we'll be able to share something."

So yeah, if there is any truth to this rumour (as always, a big "if), it seems like it would have to be a port or an HD remake.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/16/e3-2016-nintendo-a-new-kind-of-mario-is-coming

Nintendo has said from the very beginning that they don't see mobile games as a substitute for the experiences they offer on dedicated gaming platforms. One of their major stated goals for this whole mobile initiative was to bring people who engage with their mobile titles over to their full-fledged console games, which runs counter to the idea that they wouldn't be working on a Fire Emblem game for consoles because they might also release their mobile Fire Emblem game on NX. We also know that Nintendo was looking to hire developers to work exclusively on mobile games, which suggests that they're not just shuffling around internal resources who would normally be working on console games to make their mobile games instead.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:56:23 PM by Oedo »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 04, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »
Based on those comments, they could also be making a Mario Galaxy 3 or another NSMB game since those would not be anything new, just direct sequels.  Sounds like he wants a new gimmick for a new Mario like the water backback on Sunshine or crazy gravity in Galaxy. 

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (New Splatfest! AMD vs NVDIA)
« Reply #1707 on: August 05, 2016, 01:11:44 AM »
SMD64 Strikes again! https://youtu.be/-t9Z34UCTt4

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 05, 2016, 01:55:42 AM »
Like Wii, Nintendo wants people to eventually move up to Mario and Zelda. That said, I don't think it's going to work on a scale that matters.

Perhaps. Or maybe Nintendo has had time to look back on the Wii to better figure out how to do that. The Wii's success and sales for it's first 3 years was totally unexpected no matter how much us Nintendo fans were hoping that Nintendo could take back the market. Even though Nintendo did tap into a new market, they never seemed to have a clear strategy of how to crossover Wii Sport or Wii Fit users into traditional time gaming. Maybe they've figured something out with tapping into the mobile market where people are already playing games instead of creating new consumers that have to be sold on the concept of gaming.

Interestingly, from the same site Ian Sane linked to about Mario, Pokémon and Zelda being around at NX's launch, the site had this article talking about the sudden surge of 3DS sales and older Pokémon 3DS games along with the fact that Pokémon Sun and Moon presales have also risen significantly since the release of Pokémon Go. Now, it might just be some antidotal evidence and there's not a lot of data as to how much that translates into sales but I think it shows potential. People have not been talking about Nintendo in the news this much since the first few Wii years 8 - 10 years ago. It's gotten Nintendo's brand back into people's minds again. I don't think Pokémon has had this much exposure since the late 1990's. The result suggests to me that a lot of people are playing Pokémon Go and liking the experience so much that they want more and are now turning to the non-mobile fun market to play the current Pokémon games since that's the only other source for them.

It's like how Wii Sports was so big that people would try it and then go a buy a Wii so that they could also play Wii Sports. The difference is that Wii Sports was too simple and so a lot of these first time gamers or "casual" gamers were still intimidated from playing harder, more traditional games involving more button pressing and skill. You can't just swing a remote only in Mario Bros. or Metroid Prime or Kirby. You had to start learning normal control schemes. The challenge is how do you appeal to people to play those traditional games when they are only playing a video game for the first time because they don't really have to input anything except swinging the remote? If pressing buttons on a controller to play through a game didn't appeal to them for some 30 or so years, why would it now because they played a game where they didn't have to press a lot of buttons but just physically moved a controller? Phones appealed to that market because most games just required tapping on a screen. They're already used to tapping the phone to do other things so there's less intimidation to play a game when it just requires more tapping of the screen.

Now, with Pokémon Go, they're reaching out to people that are a bit more game savvy. Even if they're just used to playing mobile games, such people may be more open to playing a game on a handheld or console because they've learned some fundamentals of gaming. These are people who want to play games and they don't have to simplify your brand to appeal to them. They don't have to make the control method / scheme very basic. It's an easier consumer to win over because electronic gaming isn't a daunting prospect for them compared to a first-time or casual type video game player.

I felt like I had a clear vision of what I wanted to say and where I was going with this but it's getting late and I suddenly feel very tired and that this has all started to become murky and I'm losing my train of thought. But I've written this much so I'm posting and maybe someone else can take what I've started and run with it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 05, 2016, 01:59:17 AM »

SMD64 Strikes again! https://youtu.be/-t9Z34UCTt4

For all we know these PS4 ports people keep talking about could be the usual suspects. Just Dance. Lego Dimensions. Skylanders. Stuff that won't break a console regardless of what's under the hood. Hell, the Wii U is getting a PS4 port pretty soon, and I'm betting that will run flawlessly on Wii U.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: August 05, 2016, 03:15:21 AM »
Sound's more plausible than EG's rumors.

SuperMetaldave64:

One big thing I forgot to mention in this rumor from Gameblog is that they also stated that the NX has VR/AR Compatible chips, so that also lends to the NX being more powerful as well. This entire rumor from Gameblog and the previous has 2 other rumors from them are very consistent in that it implies that the Nintendo NX is more powerful than PS4. It appears from these very opposite rumors for the mobile console that Eurogamer reported to these more powerful console rumors from Gameblog that we likely have at least 2 different dedicated devices for the Nintendo NX.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 05, 2016, 04:51:14 AM »
I'm hoping for a 3d mario game without a gimmick. Or maybe Super Mario Sunshine 2. I was playing Mario Galaxy recently, and its lost some charm, I was getting motion sick. I can get right into Mario 64. I can get right into Mario Sunshine.

It would be kinda awesome if they Did "Super Mario Dream World". Basically the idea of Super Mario 2 in 3d. You can do a lot with the idea of dream reality.

Would a new traditional 3d mario game be in cycle? This could be one of the few times when Nintendo's teams are all ready at once. I usually say Nintendo doesn't plan ahead well enough to release a ton of good games at launch. However, they could accidentally have a bunch of good games at launch.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 05, 2016, 07:39:35 AM »
Perhaps. Or maybe Nintendo has had time to look back on the Wii to better figure out how to do that.
I suppose that's where I disagree. I don't believe there is a way to do that. The audience for these mobile versions will largely be the people who already play the main games. The rest will mostly be content with just the mobile versions. Sure, there may be some people who move up to the main games. However, as previously stated, I doubt it will be on a scale that matters.

Nintendo's best bet with NX is keep it affordable, different, and focused on core gamers. Outside of Nintendo's own fanbase, people will be more open to an alternative product if it doesn't cost them too much to enter the ecosystem. People don't need or want another PS4 or One; they may be convinced to try something different and new as long as it isn't at a premium.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 05, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
I think the biggest challenge in regards to trying to get a casual gamer to "graduate" to deeper games is that videogames aren't passive entertainment like watching a video or listening to music.  The activity requires active participation from the user so you have to learn how to play and you might need some practice to become good at it and you can fail.  That limits the appeal because not everyone is going to get the hang of it or be interested enough to have the patience to develop skills in it.  It's the same reason why playing a sport or an instrument or something like that can be very popular but never to the point of something like watching a movie which requires virtually no effort from the user.

Everyone I know absolutely sucked at videogames the first time they played them, like mistiming your jump and getting killed by the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros.  But the concept interested us enough to put in the time and effort to learn the ropes and get to an acceptable skill level where it become fun.  I look at someone like my Dad who just immediately dismisses a videogame the second he struggles with it and it doesn't surprise me that he never got beyond bowling in Wii Sports and Solitaire on the computer.  He doesn't really have the interest and thus doesn't have the patience to become good enough at games to find them fun.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 05, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
Take-Two has confirmed they will not have any games at launch for NX, or for the fiscal year.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: August 05, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
Take-Two has confirmed they will not have any games at launch for NX, or for the fiscal year.
Obviously because they don't want to port them to the Tegra chip.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 05, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »

Unlikely that it's Integra, and more likely they have nothing to say yet, and who knows when their fiscal ends, could be March 2017. Either way I would wait, it's just take two. I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming months.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 05, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
More info from Dave: Multiple sources and at least one from a major AAA Publisher (i know the location, can't say yet..) said: Games run better on NX vs PS4

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 05, 2016, 08:19:21 PM »
More info from Dave: Multiple sources and at least one from a major AAA Publisher (i know the location, can't say yet..) said: Games run better on NX vs PS4

So is this supposed to be a "confirmation" that the NX is actually more powerful or more efficient that PS4? Cause I guess that would mean Nintendo is finally ready to Play with Power again. and edging out a system that's been out for almost 3.5yrs by the time you release is a start...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 05, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Unlikely that it's Integra, and more likely they have nothing to say yet, and who knows when their fiscal ends, could be March 2017. Either way I would wait, it's just take two. I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming months.
Didn't get the sarcasm I see.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:52 PM »
Here's another for those still thinking it's nvidia: Happynintendofan: One developer told me, the Hyrbid rumor/report is 100% false. There 2 consoles, handheld and Home Console.

To Clearify, i wanted 2 get #TeamTegra 's attention: There's a lot more proof, lot of details, info, sources that back up a Home console.

The Development kit has features (Gbit Ethernet, 4 USB, GPU/CPU Xilinx Tech) that don't fit a Hanheld/Mobile Form-Facor.

I know of at least 3 Ex-Nvidia Enginers, that worked on heating problems back in Jan 2016 for a console, also from another company.

Dev kit has slots for multiple GPUs (PCIE/SLI), 8 Core CPU, Xilinx tech in the dev kit can boost CPU/GPU with 1GHZ/1GB RAM,Ethernet port

Xilinx involved in NX dev kit = DMP is involved too in #NX handheld & Console

And 4 the record: I'm 100% Sure about AMD, Still #TeamAMD there will be a Home Console
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:09:21 PM by MysticGohan »

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »
Sounds very interesting and it's what I hoped with Nintendo, the unveiling can't come soon enough, soon we'l find out just what it truly is! "rubs hands menacingly"

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 05, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »
Also Dave mentions Digitimes saying Q416 for mass production of the NX, where is Nvidia reporting revenue to investors if they are involved with the chips?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 05, 2016, 10:07:21 PM »

Of course the Just Dance NX version is going to run better than the PS4 one...

Their fiscal year ends March 31. Still it's worrying to see they're not even bothering with a token NBA or WWE game.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:20:45 PM by Soren »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1724 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »
Might as well give it an extra few months and go with next year's games at that point. Warriors 2k17 and WWE launch within like, two weeks of each other around the first part of October.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.