Author Topic: Crossover Game/Switchin' Up Tired Franchises Idea Thread  (Read 8638 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Crossover Game/Switchin' Up Tired Franchises Idea Thread
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
Lots of great ideas being thrown around lately:

Animal Crossing in a giant world would be awesome one which once you have your friends code your little town or village is plopped onto a big Breath of the Wild sized Map. 

Sounds fun. They'd need to speed up the running and create warp points. Maybe update the graphics a little; what do you all think? Does AC realllly need to keep the N64 style?

I think it'd be cool if they centered the next original Smash Bros. entry around Sakurai's own take on the tagging mechanic we see in some fighting games (they could literally call it... "Smash Bros. Switch"). It would allow them to keep the core mechanics of the series intact, at least in some fashion, but it might also give Sakurai room to add enough new mechanics and gameplay changes that it feels like a truly significant change to the way Smash Bros. is played. It would also fall in line with the frenetic, ridiculous action the series is known for. Bring some Project X Zone staffers on board to write the dialogue (or, better yet, make a full tactical RPG/Smash Bros. crossover story mode) for maximum random crazy bullshit.

And, yeah, I'd also like to see the next Animal Crossing entry move towards a bigger town. I enjoyed the core mechanics of New Leaf well enough, but the size of the town kind of took me out of the game. I don't think it has to be gigantic, as that might take some of the sense of community out of it, but I would like to see it expanded.

Someone mentioned they're tired of the Smash Bros knock-the-opponent-off-the-screen formula, but I can't find the post. I wouldn't mind getting back to basics. Scale back the # of characters to a whopping TEN and make sure they're balanced as heck. No moving environments or flashy backgrounds.

Tag teams would be neat:

Mario/Luigi
Goron/Zora
Pac-man/Ms. Pac-man
Space Pirate/Ridley
Cap. F./Samurai Goroh
Pokemon trainer/Digimon trainer
Zelda/Sheikah Statue

I however would like Wave Race: Blue Storm of the Wild. Aw ya! Open-world jet ski game.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Crossover Game/Switchin' Up Tired Franchises Idea Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
I'm in favor of the trend of Nintendo's HD games being somewhere between Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 in terms of style.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Someone mentioned they're tired of the Smash Bros knock-the-opponent-off-the-screen formula, but I can't find the post.

Pfft. Whoever said that is dumb.

Let me give you some real winning ideas of how to shake up Nintendo franchises.

1. Open World Mario - The princess is captured by Bowser being held in his Castle at Death Monutain World 8 The Lava Province. Starting out from Peach's castle in the center of the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario must navigate the tricky platforming open world of the Mushroom Kingdom as he scales to great heights with all manner of wacky power-ups that only last for a certain amount of time and then you wear off requiring you to constantly find more power-ups from other enemies. There are also 7 Koopaling Castles in 7 other Mushroom Kingdom provinces that Mario can defeat to liberate the region and gain a map of that section as well as giving him one of the seven keys needed to unlock a chest guarded by Wart who rules a dreamlike kingdom in the clouds which you get to by a giant beanstalk in the Forest of Illusion region. In the chest is the F.L.U.D.D. device allowing Mario to operate much better in the tricky 3D platforming world. I could go into more detail but I don't want to spoil all the surprises. Just don't try to do any jumping or running in the rain as Mario will keep slipping on the wet ground and wiping out.

2. Open World Pokémon - I don't have much to elaborate on since I haven't really played much of the Pokémon series but I imagine a giant open world with wild Pokémon in different regions already sounds like a winner. At the center of the map is Ralis, the biggest town in all of Farnex which is what this world is called. (That all sounds appropriately Pokémon-y.) In that town, there is a grand Pokémon Tournament held every year and you want to enter it to prove yourself the best. There are a few ways to do that and you can try to accomplish it from the start of the game if you want to but you are best to explore the world and find other towns which have things called Gyms where the most powerful Pokémon trainer of that town lives. If you can beat the various trainers then you will get a badge for the town. If you can get all the badges then you can instantly enter the Pokémon Tournament as a top seed and face the current top Farnex Pokémon trainer for the top title spot. There are also some legendary Pokémon causing trouble in the Farnex region and if you can stop them then they can be yours giving you much better Pokémon than the disposable / degradable ones you encounter in the wild. Just don't do any battling in the rain as the water will affect your Pokeballs causing them to explode releasing all the Pokémon you've caught.

3. Open World Star Fox - Fox and the gang are called over to the neighboring Talyl system because of a distress signal from their pal Katt Monroe. Upon landing on the planet, Fox and friends learn about a great evil that has awoken and captured their friend in the castle of the royal Monarchy that rules this planet in the center of the world. Heading out on foot to explore.... on foot? Never mind. Scrap this idea. Unless..... Yes! There are dinosaurs on this planet! And Fox can even mount and ride them around the planet. Even a big Tyrannosaurus Rex. All to help rescue his friend and unlock the secrets of what caused this planet's devastation 100 years ago. Biggest game highlight: Fox gains entry into a secret Dinosaur desert region by pretending to be a girl Fox named Krystal. Just don't try doing any dino-riding in the rain. It turns out rain is the reason the dinosaurs went extinct....

4. Open World Kirby - Kind of the same as Open World Mario but a bit more easier with more collectables to find and a more cute and cheery world. It may lack for story and challenge but you'll want to keep playing it for the music. And in a further surprise twist, there is no rain in this game! It's always sunny and bright. However, there are parasol Waddle-Dee enemies that you can beat up and take their umbrellas. In a great piece of irony, the one game that gives you an item to combat the rain is the one game that doesn't have it. Nintendo! You always keep us fooled. We never know what you're going to decide to do next.

5. Open World F-Zero - You and 49 other racers begin a race at the edge of Mute City with no idea where the finish line is. Drive over an incredibly large world full of loop-de-loops and tight corners through various kinds of racing terrains and regions as you attempt to find the finish line first. Hint: You may want to go to the middle of the map. Just don't try driving in the rain or your F-Zero craft will spontaneously combust.

I got about 10 more ideas but I got to work on them a bit more. It's not easy coming up with original and creative ideas like these to completely revolutionize various longstanding franchises like this with never before seen ideas as these. But it's worth it when the money comes pouring in as Nintendo buys all my ideas.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
Even though Khush is clearly being facetious, I think an open-world Kirby would be awesome, and I don't mean a sequel to The Amazing Mirror. Kirby needs to go into 3D, and I think it would be a better fit for the 3D collect-a-thon style than Donkey Kong or even Mario, and I fucking love collect-a-thon Mario.

I also think that a character-switching mechanic being introduced in Smash Bros. would be cool, but removing its ring-out gameplay style would be absolutely absurd.

An F-Zero Platinum game, with terrible races because who cares about traditional F-Zero gameplay, and Bayonetta style combat with lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of Falcon Punch.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
Kirby helicopter or burrowing transformations in 3d would be greatly entertaining, and I say that as someone bored with how easy the series is. Wait or is that Yoshi? Maybe they could team up: Yoshi and Kirby's Crayon Kingdom. I like the sound of that.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 02:27:57 AM »
I however would like Wave Race: Blue Storm of the Wild. Aw ya! Open-world jet ski game.

No.  Wave Race is saved for being combined with the Excite franchise for Exciteboats.  Wave Race-esque mechanics with boats in an Excite game.  We called this a long time ago and you can't take it away from me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
There, there. Maybe this will cheer you up.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
Open-world Super Mario Maker, where you have to build the world as you explore it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »

You are a wonderful man, Matt.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »

It's pretty clear that the Excite franchise is Nintendo's greatest jewel in its gaming empire crown with all the exciting new ways they keep innovating that series.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 01:30:18 AM »
LOL. I read AC in the OP as Assassin's Creed. Imagine making a version of the game for the N64 and seeing how far you would get.

Everyone is begging for a Pokemon MMO. If they make one with the usual Nintendo quality it would make all the money. I played through Pokemon once on Yellow and that was enough but such a game might bring me back even though I don't like MMO's on top of that.

Another thing that could be interesting would be Nintendo Racing.

You would have all the different towns and environments from every Nintendo game clustered together like districts in a single city/state. You would have your normal fixed races and the opportunity to Rice out your pimp mobile, random race generator, custom courses and cross country races, multiplayer. Add planes trains and automobiles balloon battles/light combat.

It would be the Smash Bros of racing. I would so play the **** out of this.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »

There's this WiiWare/Wii U eShop title called TNT Racers which married kart racing and Smash Bros. in a slightly different way. Basically all the lil' cars need to keep up, if one falls too far behind or gets smashed off the course/screen with one of the weapons they lose a life, like in Smash Bros.
That gives you two win-states, either finish first, or smash off all the competing race cars. Like a wackier, less complex version of F-Zero's death race.

It's just an overhead racer, but I think there's more potential for this concept. Maybe mix it up with your idea, shabam Smash Karts let's go.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
Wrong idea. That's battle mode. In races it would still work under the Mario Kart penalty system where you are down but never out if weapons are turned on like Smash Bros no weapons toggle.

It won't be Smash Bros in the literal sense, but the bringing together of all of Nintendo's Franchises into one Racing game.

You would have many different classes of transport all with wildly different handling characteristics like F-Zero VS Karts. F-Zero would be faster but have horrendous cornering which would require a completely different thought process as to how to drive it.

Karts would retain the drift feature so if they want to keep up snaking would have to be done through out the race.

The slower SUV class would bulldoze obstacles that would stop other racers dead while having good off road performance.

Normal cars would act like Rally cars with realistic physics to make up for above average performance.

Planes would fly low and require stunts mid course to make up for their general mobility and speed or employ realistic physics like managing your lift etc.

Chariots would risk tipping over around corners instead of spinning out and can jump.

Animals would require constant mashing of different/alternating/timed buttons mixed with QTEs to restore stamina.

Can't fit in boats as the amount of water ways would make Venice blush with envy and their track would be divorced from the other racers other than planes unless you make everything submersible which would ruin the point of the the classes.

But as you can see, balancing is going to be hell that would be the primary reason that would cripple such a game  or reduce it's scope significantly into more traditional fixed races.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
Ah okay, gotcha. Yeah that'd be super hard to balance, track designs would need to accomodate so many different vehicle classes... but cool idea! Not crazy about animals requiring constant QTE's but I suppose you need to give them some sort of challenge.

I liked the personalised karts from Mario Kart Double Dash and Wii, like DK's barrel, the pram for baby Mario, and Diddy's train and stuff. So expanding on that with F-Zero cars, have Samus in the morph ball, a few of the racing Pokémon like Ponyta, get a SKell in there from Xenoblade... Be cool for sure!!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
LOL. I read AC in the OP as Assassin's Creed. Imagine making a version of the game for the N64 and seeing how far you would get.

Everyone is begging for a Pokemon MMO. If they make one with the usual Nintendo quality it would make all the money. I played through Pokemon once on Yellow and that was enough but such a game might bring me back even though I don't like MMO's on top of that.

Another thing that could be interesting would be Nintendo Racing.

You would have all the different towns and environments from every Nintendo game clustered together like districts in a single city/state. You would have your normal fixed races and the opportunity to Rice out your pimp mobile, random race generator, custom courses and cross country races, multiplayer. Add planes trains and automobiles balloon battles/light combat.

Hmmm. Assassin's Creed on n64 would probably be like Castlevania 64 and not great. It's hard to say. Mario64 actually "brought it" as far as parkour platforming. But most 3rd parties just simply could not get much out of n64.

I think the closest to Assassins's creed was Indianna Jones and the Infernal Machine

or maybe Majora's Mask.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:32:42 PM by ThePerm »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »
I can think of ways to make an AC under the restrictions of a N64 but it wouldn't play much like modern AC as it would be a collection of modes that emulate aspects of the game.

Instead of running through crowds in third person from the back view, you would be completely overhead with sprites to reduce the resource footprint to something manageable.

Parkour is still there in the overhead view but when you want to climb a building the screen rotates to a normal third person view and plays just like a current AC game.

Fighting would be Tales of series like, every time you get caught it transfers you to fight mode.

Once inside specific areas without crowds it become normal levels where it plays AC straight, just real ugly version as you pointed out in that video.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
They could have heavily stylized it. Make a town where you can run around like in Mario 64 and make all of the NPCs be solid colored silhouettes similar to Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Their color could signify how you could interact with them perhaps. Though that still would have taxed resources, I am sure.

I always meant to pick up the Indy games on the N64 and Wii. Were they at least moderately enjoyable?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
Wait...did I click on the general gaming subforum or the funhouse? :Q

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
Plenty of legit ideas in this thread. Get N or get out :reggie:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 05:56:18 AM »
Thinking about it if you just improved Links ability to climb up walls and added some jumping skills like Mario has you could make it work. Kakariko village and Gerado fortress has a sort of assassins creed feel. You do climb up that big wall in Death Mountain. You just have to switch around getting up objects by hookshot and replace it with more climbing. 

They would probably need to have less people in a village to accommodate n64. On the other hand I'm not sure what a full 64MB Zelda game would be like.

I'm tempted to make a mockup :P

Assassins Creed is somewhat  of a successor to the Prince of Persia series so a lot of game-play aspect would have existed in earlier side scrollers. Alladin SNES also comes to mind. I think the style of game you talk about would be more likely to exist on PC at the time than n64.  Think Grand Theft Auto. The first two 2d  games are pretty good, but there is sort of an n64 game with body harvest. Body Harvest has the problem of development hell that plagued n64 games, but it is a prototype 3d version of Grand Theft Auto 3. They had Castlevania games on n64 and PlayStation, but I can't imagine all developers would be in the mindset of simpler is better sometimes. It's probably a better idea to do it in the way you described, but i'm pretty sure if they came up with the idea then they would comes up with some chuggy( or great) Frankenstein.

Another way might be a really advanced doom/duke nukem style sprite engine.

IT really comes down to the developers ability to use n64 worth a damn. Only rare ever got results better than Nintendo. Factor 5 comes in at a 3rd. Mosty third parties just had abysmal attempts.

And people this isn't funhouse discusssion this may be some of the deepest type of discussion your gonna get on games forum.

and it's fairly relevant. The Switch is weaker than other consoles, but if developers are good they can get great results. Developers were developing on hard mode on n64. We're going to hear developers say they can't do something on Switch and we're going to see the best of the best pull it off despite the naysaying.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:25:55 AM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
Why not crossover Wind Waker and Steel Diver?

You put Link on a sub, you're gonna move units.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »

I wanna see Assassain's Creed with Animal Crossing graphics. Annnnd. go.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 02:36:17 AM »

I wanna see Assassain's Creed with Animal Crossing graphics. Annnnd. go.
Thats interesting too. And also kinda similar to how oohboy described for gameplay.