Author Topic: The Next 3D Zelda  (Read 11154 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
The Next 3D Zelda
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »

Zach and James debate which Zelda should get 3D-ified next.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/31061

It's not surprising that, after the success of Ocarina of Time 3D, Nintendo is considering remaking another Zelda game in glorious, glasses-free 3D. In the eyes of Shigeru Miyamoto there are two choices: A Link to the Past or Majora's Mask. Enter James Jones and Zachary Miller, Nintendo consultants for hire. They've each got an idea of which Zelda would make the best 3D remake. One is the obvious choice, but one will never happen. Which one would you like to see? Read on and be convinced!

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Enistachia

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Next 3D Zelda
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »
I would love to see a 3D Link to the past.

Offline figgy6

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »
As cool as it would be have a 3d version of a lin ;Dk to the past majora's mask would be a better in store game a link to the past would be better at the 3ds eShop. They already made it as a remake for the GBA/GBASP. So make it as a download NOT a instore game.majoras mask would be much better. Just saying

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:07:35 AM »
I want all of the above.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:04:14 AM »
I'd rather Majora's mask be done, there's tons of people who never played it and the engine is already done thanks to the Ocarina of time 3ds remake

Offline Auggey

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 04:48:43 AM »
Can someone explain to me why I can't see this article? It says, "Read on" but after that sentence, the article ends and I can't find this debate.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:03:57 AM »
Can someone explain to me why I can't see this article? It says, "Read on" but after that sentence, the article ends and I can't find this debate.

For features right now the forums only grab the "first page." Check out the actual site instead of the forum and click through to the other pages of the feature!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/31061
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »
Majora's Mask is a terrible game IMO, easily the worst 3D Zelda (maybe the worst Nintendo made Zelda in general), so I would go with ALTTP in general. But I couldn't see myself paying $40 for it when I have never beat the game despite owning in on Virtual Console and as part of the Zelda Anniversary Collection.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:26 AM »
@Kairon

Well, I seem to be having the same problem as Auggey and I am trying to access the article by going to the features tab on the homepage and clicking this article, but it still stops at 'Read on and be convinced!'.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
Majora's Mask is a terrible game IMO, easily the worst 3D Zelda (maybe the worst Nintendo made Zelda in general), so I would go with ALTTP in general. But I couldn't see myself paying $40 for it when I have never beat the game despite owning in on Virtual Console and as part of the Zelda Anniversary Collection.

I could not disagree more, but I love the fact that Zelda fans have such wildly divergent views on which games in the series are more deserving of accolade. For me Majora's Mask is superior to several Zelda titles, Ocarina of Time amongst them. It's such an odd and disturbing little world, it has some of the best characters in the series, and the time mechanic allows you to get an intimate view of the inhabitants of Termina in a way that has never been possible in Hyrule. Its perhaps my third favourite Zelda game after Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
A Link to the Past still has old-school charm on its side. I don't think it needs a graphics upgrade at all and putting a 3D effect doesn't seem like it would change much. If Nintendo ever wanted to remake it, I'd rather they do so with HD sprites and on a console. If they were going to do that, they might as well make a new game. A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game and is fine as is.

That said, Majora's Mask is a better candidate for a 3D upgrade and graphics overhaul, especially considering how well Ocarina of Time benefitted.

If I could pick any Zelda game, it would be The Wind Waker which might benefit from the 3D effect most. Also, if Nintendo really went the extra mile, they could add a few more dungeons to the main quest and mini dungeons instead of the Triforce fetch quest.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
Soooo, when can I actually read this feature?
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »
Put me in the camp of people who can not read the article at all. Has anyone outside of staff gotten to read it yet? I tried on both my Chrome browser and my wife's IE.

Anyway I would like to see a 3D Majora's Mask, it is one of my favorite Zelda games after Zelda II and The original LOZ. Windwaker would be nice too, but I do not have the love of that one that other people seem to have.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:32:06 AM by pureval »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
Let's all leave Link to the past alone, please.  That's one of the Zelda games I think would lose its charm if it was 3D-ified.

I think the NES games, Majora's Mask, or maybe even the DS games could be good candidates for a 3D remaster.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
Yay! I can now read it.

I side with james on this one. Majora's Mask is by far the more interesting of the two and I actually feel it would benefit the most from a coat of paint. A Link to the Past still looks fantastic, but N64 games have by and large aged poorly. I love Majora's Mask, but it's art could really shine if Nintendo were to address the frame rate and fog issues.
Gouge away.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
As opposed as I am to seeing it remade for 3DS, I have to correct you on this. Majora's Mask is definitely NOT a bad game (at least on its own). It's actually quite brilliant. However, it IS terrible as a Zelda game and I agree, could definitely be a contender for the worst Nintendo-made installment in the series simply because the premise just doesn't fit in with the rest Zelda universe. It's a damn shame they didn't just replace Link with an original character and present it as a stand-alone franchise.

As part of the Zelda series, MM's over presentation just comes off as a lame attempt to capitalize on OoT's success and tarnished the overall integrity of the franchise as a result. The starting with MM, the series got stuck in OoT's shadow and was in a slump for a good decade. Now that they finally got out of that slump with Skyward Sword, the last thing they need to do is open old wounds, which giving MM the same treatment OoT 3D received would be sure to do.

Both ALttP and OoT are masterpieces both as a Zelda installments and their own games and deserve remake proper remakes as a result. MM does not.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:29:06 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
...or, you know, Nintendo could just make a new Zelda game.  They still do that, right?  They still make new handheld Zelda games?

Seriously, Nintendo should leave Majora's Mask & Link to the Past alone.  Both are excellent games in their own right (Majora's Mask is even my favorite game in the series), but the 3DS has enough ports as it is.  I want to see Nintendo prove after Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks that they're still capable of making good new portable Zelda games (and hopefully ones with traditional controls).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
If Nintendo wants to farm Majora's Mask out to Grezzo so they can add all if the improvements that Ocarina of Time 3D had, I have no problem with that. It wouldn't be quite the deal Ocarina of Time 3D was due to the bonus Master Quest, but I would still buy it.

I think everyone would prefer a new game. I'd love to see a new 3D Zelda that follows in Ocarina of Time's footsteps but didn't try as hard as Twilight Princess. I see no reason why Grezzo couldn't handle the 3DS game while EAD handled the Wii U game.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
...or, you know, Nintendo could just make a new Zelda game.  They still do that, right?  They still make new handheld Zelda games?

Seriously, Nintendo should leave Majora's Mask & Link to the Past alone.  Both are excellent games in their own right (Majora's Mask is even my favorite game in the series), but the 3DS has enough ports as it is.  I want to see Nintendo prove after Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks that they're still capable of making good new portable Zelda games (and hopefully ones with traditional controls).

Aonuma actually already confirmed they are making a new 3DS Zelda first, and even elaborated that it will be more like a console Zelda game than the DS ones. This remake is just what they're looking to do later down the road. Now that you mention it though, this headline is kind of misleading. It probably should read: "The Next 3DS Zelda Remake".
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:12:03 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »
Now that the VC exists I think that should be the sole method of re-releasing old games.  Remakes like this are often made INSTEAD of new content.  They slot them into a gap in the release schedule and act like that's good enough and everyone trips over themselves to reward Nintendo for doing this by paying full price for an old game.  This made more sense in the old days where there was not an easy way to release old games on a new hardware but now we have that mechanism.  No one NEEDED Ocarina of Time 3D.  If you want OoT, it's on the damn VC.  Any idiot has access to that game.  But, no, by all means, tell Nintendo that you'll gladly pay full price for an old game (and maybe even buy a new system specifically to play it) and ruin things for the rest of us.  I loved waiting around for like six months while Nintendo released NPC remakes instead of new Wii games.  I loved not getting a new 2D Mario game on the GBA because everyone just liked buying all the old Mario games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
1. No one needs videogames. People want videogames. People wanted a remastered Ocarina of Time, clearly.

2. What do you care that Nintendo released NPC games when all you have done is complain about the Wii and its games? You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that you had to wait months for games that you already admitted to not liking. What the ****, man?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
What do you care that Nintendo released NPC games when all you have done is complain about the Wii and its games? You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that you had to wait months for games that you already admitted to not liking. What the ****, man?

How are the two complaints mutually exclusive?  One is "the gap between new releases is ridiculously long" and the other is "too many of these games being made have crappy controls."  So when Nintendo DOES actually release a new game, if I don't like it, my complaint is invalid?  How does that make any sense?  These are two different issues.  In fact they actually compound and make things WORSE.  So I wait around for six months while all you release are Gamecube ports and then you FINALLY release something new and it controls like ****?!

What you're saying is that if the food tastes like **** I can't complain that I had to wait forever for the waiter to bring it to me?  Ever think that maybe my expectation of the restaurant would be that the food would arrive in a decent time frame AND would taste good?  I'm wrong to stiff the waiter on the tip because of bad service because I also didn't like the food?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »
The first New Play Controls title came out over 2 years after the Wii launched, well after you've registered your distaste for the console, its games, and its entire philosophy. The difference is that you're going to a restaurant you already don't like then complaining about the service and the food. That makes it your fault for going. What the hell did you expect from something that already displeases you? I don't like fast food. I'm not going to go to a fast food chain then complain that I hated it.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »
The first New Play Controls title came out over 2 years after the Wii launched, well after you've registered your distaste for the console, its games, and its entire philosophy. The difference is that you're going to a restaurant you already don't like then complaining about the service and the food. That makes it your fault for going. What the hell did you expect from something that already displeases you? I don't like fast food. I'm not going to go to a fast food chain then complain that I hated it.

Here's a tip I learned awhile ago-- Don't even waste your time responding to Ian Sane. He's just a troll who thrives on being fed. His arguments lack all rationality because he doesn't even try to use any.  (There was no reason for OoT 3D because it's already available on the VC of a completely separate platform with a completely different audience? LOL) Just laugh him off and just let him make a fool of himself.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:12:53 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »
Now that the VC exists I think that should be the sole method of re-releasing old games.  Remakes like this are often made INSTEAD of new content.

In terms of the 3DS, I'm not really sure what evidence there is to support that claim. While it's true that Nintendo have sought to use remakes like Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 to fill out gaps in the release schedule, I don't believe that this has diverted any considerable resources away from the development of new titles. If anything I would argue that utilising remakes in this way (i.e. outsourcing remakes to companies like Grezzo) has allowed Nintendo to maintain some semblance of a release schedule while their development teams pour their efforts into new titles.

The system has been out for less than a year and a half and already we've had Pilotwings Resort, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario 3D Kart, Mario Tennis and Kid Icarus: Uprising. There are also several titles which are currently in the home stretch or are finished and being held for scheduling purposes: games like Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, NSMB 2, Animal Crossing 3D, Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Not only that, but Nintendo have also taken a few noteworthy steps into digital games with titles like Pushmo, Sakura Samurai and Dillons Rolling Western. All the while Nintendo have also confirmed that they're working on a brand new Zelda and Smash Bros for 3DS.

In my opinion it certainly doesn't seem like a handful of remakes, which have been largely outsourced to other companies, have blunted Nintendo's development of new titles. I think the 3DS catalogue thus far proves that it's not necessarilly a zero-sum situtation. If the development of these remakes is handled intelligently it should not make any discernable impact on the development of new titles.

As for people purchasing these remakes and 'ruining it for the rest of us'? These games wouldn't be made at all if 'us' didn't buy them. Personally, I'm an enthusiast of retro games and enjoy experiencing them with graphical and gameplay improvements. One of the most fun experiences I've ever had in gaming was the Metroid Prime Trilogy for example. I also have a new found appreciation for Ocarina of Time having played the 3D edition which took the original and managed to make it look as colourful and pretty as my younger self had imagined it to be.

Do I want Nintendo to release two or three remakes a year? Probably not, but I'm fine with Nintendo selecting a few standout titles for which a 3D remake makes sense and giving them the same care and attention that was extended to those remakes already seen on the 3DS.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:47:24 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.