Author Topic: New Pokemon Snap Announced For Switch  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
New Pokemon Snap Announced For Switch
« on: June 17, 2020, 02:18:00 AM »

It's actually happening thanks to Bandai Namco.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/54088/new-pokemon-snap-announced-for-switch

Pokemon Snap is going digital.

"New Pokemon Snap" was announced today for Switch in the Pokemon Presents presentation. More Pokemon than were present in the 1999 N64 game were shown in a 3D environment.

No release date was given for the project. According to the copyright notice at the end of the presentation, New Pokemon Snap is developed by Bandai Namco.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Pokemon Snap Announced For Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
It's cool to finally a new Pokemon Snap that I see Nintendo is irritating us with the "New" naming convention again.  That sort of naming make gaming seem very disposable, which is odd coming from Nintendo since they seem very aware that their games can be resold on later platforms for all eternity.

The trailer looks nice but it looks like you're still on rails.  That's fine I guess but I always imagined a Pokemon Snap where you can freely wander through an environment and try to get photos of Pokemon, like how a nature documentary filmmaker would do it.  I figured the on rails element was more due to the limitations of the N64 hardware and that a lot more could be done with the photography concept.  This looks a lot like it just makes things prettier and has more Pokemon.  Of course by now I figure fans are just happy to have another Snap game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
It's cool to finally a new Pokemon Snap that I see Nintendo is irritating us with the "New" naming convention again.  That sort of naming make gaming seem very disposable, which is odd coming from Nintendo since they seem very aware that their games can be resold on later platforms for all eternity.

The trailer looks nice but it looks like you're still on rails.  That's fine I guess but I always imagined a Pokemon Snap where you can freely wander through an environment and try to get photos of Pokemon, like how a nature documentary filmmaker would do it.  I figured the on rails element was more due to the limitations of the N64 hardware and that a lot more could be done with the photography concept.  This looks a lot like it just makes things prettier and has more Pokemon.  Of course by now I figure fans are just happy to have another Snap game.

The on-rails probably also allowed them to focus more on the graphics and making a tighter gameplay experience, which I would rather have than an attempt at an open-world photography game that felt half-complete or buggy. Being a spiritual successor to the N64 title probably also kept the budget and dev time down. This just seems like a project that was green-lit due to the low overhead required to get the game out the door, and hopefully the price mirrors this if that is the case.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
Much of my interest in a free-roaming Pokemon Snap comes from Majora's Mask.  It had a camera and was a full 3D game on the same console.  So when I played that I felt like Snap's approach was outdated.  Really I feel like the camera concept would work well as a sidequest in a full 3D Pokemon game, much like the cameras that appear in a few 3D Zeldas.  A game where you can see Pokemon in real time and try to catch them might as well also let you photograph them.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »
Cool announcement, but I feel like I would have been into this so much more a decade ago on something like the Wii, before I'd lost all interest in the franchise altogether.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »
It's weird to think that's it's been over 20 years and we're finally getting the first sequel to it.  20 years before Pokemon Snap came out Nintendo was making their first videogames period.  But I think at the time Snap was something put together to get a Pokemon game on the N64.  It didn't have all of the Pokemon and the assumption that they were still making the 3D models for Pokemon Stadium but it was time consuming so they threw together Snap with the models they already had completed.  In that sense Nintendo may not have felt the game should have become a series because it was more of a holdover for Stadium.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
I'm excited for this and really interesting to see if the on-rails style will feel outdated.  There have been so many quality open-world games, that going back to rails may feel more restrictive than anything.  Also a shame they never put one together for the Wii U.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.