Author Topic: Indies for the Switch!  (Read 14217 times)

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
Indies for the Switch!
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
Since I didn't see a thread for this anytime in recent history, and rather than potentially have multiple threads discussing different games, I figured I'd try it out this way. What indie games on another platform (I suppose even already on the WiiU if you think they're great) would you hope could get ported over to the Switch? Maybe not even true indies, just smaller-scale games even (Geometry Wars comes to mind for me), but what would you be interested in and why?

I actually am working on a Playlist on my YouTube channel that strings together all of the indie games I am playing, or have played a ton of, on PC: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBvKMC4FxxvviUxsdMOUmWp7SIVbcBg41

I'm still adding to it but so far the list includes:
  • Nuclear Throne - Tough rogue-ish shooter, but MAN is it addictive
  • Neon Chrome - A pretty different kind of shooter with its own look and style. Futuristic and fun, though it may not scale well in portable mode
  • Galak-Z - An anime throwback style and some rogue-ish elements make for a pretty good time
  • Assault Android Cactus - Pretty well pure shooter bliss for me, much more a traditional arcade-style shooter but with very different play styles depending on who you choose
  • Rocket League - Rocket-powered cars mixed with 3 on 3 soccer. It is an incredible game and probably one of the most successful indie games in recent years
  • BroForce - Classic arcade shooters meet 80s action movie stars. Very fun and silly but can be tough as hell at times as well
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer - Rhythm game meets rogue-style RPG. Very unique and fun
  • Hotline Miami - Though the sequel didn't do as well it is a unique game mixing a retro style, hyper-violence, trippy imagery at times, and a lot of dying and trying again
  • Hand of Fate - A bit like mixing D&D with a deck-building game with an action brawler. It was a solid challenge and it was almost always changing things up on me from attempt to attempt
  • Rogue Legacy - By its name did you guess it is a rogue-like? Side-scrolling action reminiscent of something like Castlevania mixed with some very unusual hero traits that can sometimes drastically alter play and some challenges to grind out some better equipment and choices for yourself so you can try to get further and further into the castle
Will still be adding more and will note them as we go but interested to see what other people would love to see on the Switch, some video is always helpful as well to help people visualize.  :D
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Indies for the Switch!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I really hope Rocket League stays far, far away from Switch... Because it has all the trappings of something I would get very addicted to!

Assault Android Cactus is another good shout yeah, they were developing a Wii U version for a while I think, but it kept getting postponed. That final boss is absolutely brutal!

Could also imagine Severed being reworked with motion controls instead of stylus swipes, if the Joy-Con are truly precise enough? You'd have to make the hits land harder to not tire out players, but I see potential.

That said, I'd rather we see new indies instead of established ones or reworked ones. Would rather see something new cooked up by Drinkbox, Nifflas, Image & Form, Witchbeam, or the people behind Nova-111 than see (enhanced) ports.
Things like Snipperclips, while being a Nintendo game, are exciting precisely because they're new things on a new console (imo).

EDIT: oh aren't the people behind FTL working on something new based around Pacific Rim? Probably won't make it to Switch I guess, but it'd be cool.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:45:07 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
I've said it once and I will say it again.

NIDHOGG NEEDS TO BE ON SWITCH

This is a 2 player game with a very simple control scheme, and is just... ideal for tabletop mode multiplayer wherever you go. it's a game that's so elegant that it would be a hand-in-glove fit for showing off the brilliance of having the Joycon.

I also am pulling for the full suite of Wayforward ports and Freedom Planet 2.

I know a lot of folks would be happy with having Undertale be on a Nintendo platform period, but Switch would especially be keen for getting feels on the go.

When La Mulana 2 eventually materializes, I'd gladly play that on the switch. the the original freeware version of the first game is one of my all-time favorites.

I'd also like games that run on the Lab Zero engine on Switch; Skullgirls 2nd Encore, Indivisible, and Them's Fightin' Herds. Skullgirls is probably the 2D Fighter I'm best at, and the other two are games I'm firmly in the backer camp for, so... yeah, there's that.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »
There's still a listing for Assault Android Cactus on Wii U, so I think that'll come over to Switch eventually.

Aside from my usual stanning for Super Mega Baseball 2 and Cosmic Star Heroine (standard disclaimer about backing) I'd love to see Pyre and the rest of the Supergiant catalogue on Switch.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »
Apparently Switch devkits are only $500. I will happily buy one and try my hand at console games if that's the case.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »
I'd like to see N++ on there. It's the kind of thing I'd like to have on a handheld and it never got a Vita port.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
We have a review/impressions thread for indies, but not an "Indy games to look out for thread."

I recently hooked up an xbox360 controller to my computer. I'm close to being able to throw a real game together. I just have to combine different projects together.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:49:24 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
Lab Zero (creators of Skullgirls) are considering Indivisible (Metroidvania-style exploration with Valkyrie Profile combat). I really want this game on Switch.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:29:32 PM »
The Indivisible demo was great.

Rocket League is the next Minecraft in terms of needing to come to the Switch sooner rather than later. Also, Minecraft on Switch kinda needs a release date already.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »
They were talked about in the general eShop thread, but having a general indie thread is probably a good idea.

Myself, I'm not into indie stuff, unless Minecraft and Terraria still count. Minecraft is already confirmed for NSwitch though.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
Which Minecraft versions do you have Mop_it_up?

Shyguy, Stratos, Myself, and Lucario used to play pretty often.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
I've had Minecraft Wii U for a while and a friend gifted me PC Minecraft, but it doesn't run very well on my computer and I haven't been able to get a controller application working for it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I have a really old computer. Have you tried switching the settings from fancy to fast?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
Ultimate Chicken Horse for Switch is probably one of the best indie games that could have been announced for the Switch.  The fact that Nintendo is actively courting some of these multiplayer focused games is also encouraging. 

Overcooked is another one i'm holding out on until I see it possibly appearing on Switch. 

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
UCH has a cool concept.  The main thing I want from Indie games is short local multiplayer experiences, since Steam is generally a better way to play long form or graphically intense stuff.  It would also be nice to see games do silly things with the IR depth camera and motion controls.  Basically, high concept stuff that wouldn't make sense for a full retail game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »
I have a really old computer. Have you tried switching the settings from fancy to fast?
Yeah, I made all the low-end adjustments, except for chunks loaded, I left that in the middle since I need to be able to see far enough in the distance. It chugs pretty hardcore unless I look straight down or up. The problem is that the CPU is below the game's minimum requirement, it's just a dual-core 2 Ghz when the game needs at least 2.9 Ghz. I was hoping the 8 GB of RAM would make up for it, but it doesn't seem to help.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
hmm, weird. My computer can't play Half-life 2 or doom 3, but it can play minecraft. I only have 2.75GB of ram. Over the years I have had to turn the draw distance down though and that kind of sucks. In older versions of the game I had a much better draw distance. My processor was released in 2005. It's 2.5ghz dual core amd athlon 64. (4800)
It could be your operating system or your video card. I have a geforce 8200. The computer was sort of a bargain priced gaming pc in 2006 or so when I got it. The type where the gpu is integrated into the moatherboad instead of being a separate chip. I run a heavily optimized version of XP. I'd imagine if you had Windows 8 and above you could never run it. I'm not sure if xp or 7 would be better on this pc. It might be too old to run 7 well.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
Nintendo nailed the Nindies Showcase for the most part. Still no Rocket League or Undertale but they did get

- a big exclusive (Runner 3)
- Blaster Master Zero as a Nintendo ecosystem exclusive
- a few timed exclusives (Gonner, Mr Shifty, Shakedown Hawaii)
- some games with good buzz (Enter The Gungeon, Thumper)
- classic Indie games (Duck Game)

and plenty of interesting concepts. I'm pleased.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
I agree with your list, but don't count out:

- Great Co-operative game (Overcooked)
- Indie game that's fire right now with first taste of multiplayer (Stardew Valley).

Switch really could be a great home for indie games.  Looks like I'll have thinks to keep me turning on the switch past zelda.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
Blaster Master looks fun.  I never played the Wii game.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
Also, there are two games: NBA Playgrounds and Away: Journey To The Unexpected which have zero information online. Probably vaporware?

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
NBA Playgrounds caught my eye too. I googled it and it appears the trademark was filed by Saber Interactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Interactive

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »
They also abandoned the trademark last year. I suspect we'll get more details about it soon.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »
SteamWorld Dog 2 just skyrocketed to the top of my hype list with the confirmation that the game will have dedicated level design and no longer be procedurally generated.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
BOOOOOOOM!