Poll

Are You Going to Buy the Switch?

Nintendo had me at Switch (Hyrule Warrior)
4 (66.7%)
Nintendo's done it and I'm buying a Switch before the year is up! (Mario Maniac)
0 (0%)
I'm going to buy but feel no urgency to do so anytime soon. (Smash Fighter)
0 (0%)
I'm still waiting for specific software to be announced/released before I'd buy it. (F-Zero Activist)
1 (16.7%)
Still unsure. (3DS is best!)
1 (16.7%)
Nope. I still see no reason for me to buy this. (Overwatch Elitist)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?  (Read 58382 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
This is from the Nintendo site:
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/
Take your game sessions up a notch with the Pro Controller. Includes motion controls, HD rumble, built-in amiibo functionality, and more.

Does anyone know what is new about the rumble that Nintendo is calling it HD rumble?
is it just because they have rumble in each palm?is there something new and  unique about it? haptics inside?

and what about the batteries in the joycons and the pro controller?
anyone know anything about that?

I've heard 20+ hours on the joycons. Not sure on the pro con though.

Here is the section of the presentation talking about the HD rumble. Apparently people who had hands on are saying it's the real deal.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
I'm not even sure what 1-2 swtich was.... was it like Wario Ware, more like Wii Sports, a combo of both?
short video I saw barely even showed the game, just people have twitch reactions to beat each other. Not really sure what the game was.

I haven't been hunting down videos to fins out more, just kinda perusing this and the other thread for info.
I guess I can check out the "switch game thread" to see if there are more indepth videos explaining stuff.

I personally think of it as multiplayer focused, higher-tech Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Both games seem to give quirky introductions to how to play them before the minigame starts, and some of the game's even seem like directly descendants.

I think the similarities are very clear when comparing 1 2 Switch's "Quick Draw" with Wario Ware: Smooth Moves' "How the West Was Really Won":

1 2 Switch Quick Draw Treehouse Pre-Game Intro and Gameplay
https://youtu.be/ZVo9OdXAG2A?t=57s

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves "The Big Cheese" Pre-Game Pose Intro
https://youtu.be/A1YETW-EyB0?t=3m8s

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves "How The West Was Really Won" Gameplay
https://youtu.be/A1YETW-EyB0?t=4m24s
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
The more I think about the Switch, the less I like its chances. It's an underpowered, expensive console with no games (at least not many). They need to fix two of those three issues and it really doesn't matter which ones, but they all can be fixed with more time. So...what the **** is the rush? Why release it right now?

They really need to reevaluate the price and announce more games before launch or the first six months of this console could sink it. They also need to provide VC games as a subscription.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
part of my reasoning for even early adopting would be to play w/ my daughter, which means I will need a 2nd set of joycons and a grip. But for $110.00 before tax, it's more than 1/3 the cost of the system to buy an complete additional controller. That's just OUTRAGEOUS and turns me away from not only early adopting, but adopting at all.
I'm not spending $410.00 + tax on this system to play multiplayer, only to realize that I haven't even picked out a game yet.
If I'm not sold at launch, then I'll just have to re-evaluate at Xmas time.
Even Wii U sold well at launch. What I meant was there will be plenty of early adopters. After that, it could go either way. Once the early adopter wave passes, will everyone else accept those prices?

I get what you mean though. I find the peripheral prices to be beyond outrageous. I was ready to buy two Pro Controllers for Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. until Nintendo announced it'd be $70. I probably won't buy one until there's a sale. I have Switch preordered on Amazon, but I wouldn't be upset if I wasn't guaranteed one on launch day. It also depends on when Apple announces new iMacs. If it's released around March, I may put Switch on hold. That's disappointing to me. While I like Switch and the upcoming games, the unveiling wasn't a homerun. If given the choice, I'd pick something else. I don't know if I'm explaining this well. Like I want one, but I don't want and I won't go out of my way. The price gouging is that much of a turn off for me because otherwise, I think everything else ranges from decent to genuinely great.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:52:25 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »

I personally think of it as multiplayer focused, higher-tech Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Both games seem to give quirky introductions to how to play them before the minigame starts, and some of the game's even seem like directly descendants.

I think the similarities are very clear when comparing 1 2 Switch's "Quick Draw" with Wario Ware: Smooth Moves' "How the West Was Really Won":

1 2 Switch Quick Draw Treehouse Pre-Game Intro and Gameplay
https://youtu.be/ZVo9OdXAG2A?t=57s

I could see this being cool little party distraction drinking game.
the eating contest game... LOL. i see that getting twisted in some perverted way real quick.
(edit: not this game itself, but the knock off game using the same "approach")

I just hope there are more games than the 5 they showed. Because if that's it, then they really should just pack it in with either the system, or with the extra pair of joy-con controllers and turn it into a 4-8 player switch off party game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:21:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »
I'm sure the HD rumble is pretty cool but it's just a trivial thing for Nintendo to put any effort into.  Unless it feels like sex I don't see how it will increase hardware sales at all and the impact something like rumble has on a game is so minor that no one will think the competing consoles are inferior because their rumble isn't as good.  It's like 3D on the 3DS was clearly something Nintendo thought would be a system seller and it just isn't a significant enough addition to the gameplay experience to be a selling point.  On the 3DS the nifty feature did not make up for the real issues the system initially had with price and library.  HD rumble is just a neat feature but the Switch is too expensive and seems hurting for games for the initial launch period.  So Nintendo put effort into something that really does not matter and have these other serious problems unresolved.  It's not like the people they assigned to work on HD rumble would necessarily have fixed one of these other problems if they hadn't been freed up to do so but it looks bad when there are obvious and serious problems that Nintendo should have made all effort to avoid having but they did a great job on this unnecessary feature no even thought to ask for and no one would miss if they didn't bother with it at all.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
This is all you need to know about 1-2 Switch:
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
This is all you need to know about 1-2 Switch:

no. you also need to gif the moment where it says "place the remote 2 inches away from your face" and put it in a forward/reverse loop.

I'm sure the HD rumble is pretty cool but it's just a trivial thing for Nintendo to put any effort into.  Unless it feels like sex I don't see how it will increase hardware sales at all...

just wait for the VR and girlfriend sims with extra peripheral attachment for a 3rd controller to be used hands free. I'm sure that's EXACTLY what it will feel like.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:29:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »
I'm sure the HD rumble is pretty cool but it's just a trivial thing for Nintendo to put any effort into.  Unless it feels like sex I don't see how it will increase hardware sales at all and the impact something like rumble has on a game is so minor that no one will think the competing consoles are inferior because their rumble isn't as good.  It's like 3D on the 3DS was clearly something Nintendo thought would be a system seller and it just isn't a significant enough addition to the gameplay experience to be a selling point.  On the 3DS the nifty feature did not make up for the real issues the system initially had with price and library.  HD rumble is just a neat feature but the Switch is too expensive and seems hurting for games for the initial launch period.  So Nintendo put effort into something that really does not matter and have these other serious problems unresolved.  It's not like the people they assigned to work on HD rumble would necessarily have fixed one of these other problems if they hadn't been freed up to do so but it looks bad when there are obvious and serious problems that Nintendo should have made all effort to avoid having but they did a great job on this unnecessary feature no even thought to ask for and no one would miss if they didn't bother with it at all.

There are no problems with the Switch in Nintendo's eyes. This is their design, and now it's up to consumers to recognize that they need the Switch.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »
You lot are crazy.

It's definitely a more powerful console than Wii U...maybe not near PS4 power, but it's significantly more than Wii U. Also, it's the FUCKING LAUNCH. You don't need or want eleventy-billion games during this time. ****, I'm getting Zelda, Bomberman, and Setsuna at launch...and that's way more than enough to keep me content until Mario Kart arrives in late April.

Also, it has the one feature I have been clamouring for, for almost a decade now — portability in a home console. I, literally, can bring my console with me on the go now. That's incredible.

Yes, some of the prices on accessories are a bit high. But I have two controllers ready to go for Bomberman with my boyfriend right out of the fucking box. That's exciting. I can't wait. Yes, I do want a Pro controller...but for now, it can wait until later.

I'm so ready for Switch, and I believe it's going to be a wonderful success for Nintendo once it catches on this holiday season later in the year.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Clonester11

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »
You lot are crazy.

It's definitely a more powerful console than Wii U...maybe not near PS4 power, but it's significantly more than Wii U. Also, it's the FUCKING LAUNCH. You don't need or want eleventy-billion games during this time. ****, I'm getting Zelda, Bomberman, and Setsuna at launch...and that's way more than enough to keep me content until Mario Kart arrives in late April.

True, the system itself is a great concept, I love it a lot. But the lackluster first 6 months is unacceptable for the position Nintendo is in. Nintendo has released very few AAA games the past two years. Most of the best games on Wii U were released in 2013 and 2014. What have they been doing the past two years besides Zelda?

And the other factor is this launch may have been acceptable if the Switch was launching at the same time as the PS4 and Xbox 1. But it's not. It's coming slowly out of the gate while it's key competitors are running full stride.

They've had the past two years, more or less, to be ready for this launch, and unless they have held something back, they blew it. I don't want to put down the money again on a system third parties will drop in 6 months because the system isn't selling. And the third party support isn't even stellar as it is, apart from a few RPG's. Once they lose momentum, they won't get it back, regardless of how nice the hardware is.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »
Yes, some of the prices on accessories are a bit high. But I have two controllers ready to go for Bomberman with my boyfriend right out of the fucking box. That's exciting. I can't wait. Yes, I do want a Pro controller...but for now, it can wait until later.

I'm so ready for Switch, and I believe it's going to be a wonderful success for Nintendo once it catches on this holiday season later in the year.
A voice of reason! (AKA similar opinion to my own)

Curious, though- what would make these first six months better in the eyes of those who believe it is weak? I see a number of great games from Nintendo- a massive open-world adventure, a competitive fighter, a kart racing game, an online shooter, a party game... obviously if you want MORE of these, that is where third parties must come in. But even then, that's a pretty varied lineup from Nintendo.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
An open-world game, a "competitive" fighter, a remake of the same racing game, a kid version of CoD, a shitty warioware rip-off.

One of those things you said i'm excited for, and you can get that on the Wii U!
I do want the new Mario though, so when it's more reasonably priced i will buy it.
Made you look ****.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2017, 11:01:35 PM »
I've just set off a nuke! Xd
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
Anything sounds worse when you put derogatory adjectives and quotations around them.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:53 PM »

I can agree with this. I'll buy the Pro Controller if only because I'll probably never get used to the dog-ears controller setup for longer gameplay sessions. But I do think it's fair to raise your voice and say ****'s overpriced yo, so no 4 players game sessions for the foreseeable future.

I'm ok with the lineup if only because I see an inevitable slowdown of third party stuff and I have enough of a PS4 backlog(and Overwatch) to keep me busy. I am happy with Zelda/Bomberman/Steep/FAST RMX in the first few months but that's because I have so many more options ready on other consoles anyway. That's not really a good look for Nintendo.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2017, 11:36:58 PM »

A voice of reason! (AKA similar opinion to my own)

Curious, though- what would make these first six months better in the eyes of those who believe it is weak? I see a number of great games from Nintendo- a massive open-world adventure, a competitive fighter, a kart racing game, an online shooter, a party game... obviously if you want MORE of these, that is where third parties must come in. But even then, that's a pretty varied lineup from Nintendo.

What would make these first 6-months better is the thing I was looking for out of the presentation: a show of western developer support. We've about 7 months to go before the next Madden football game will be ready to ship. I want to see that franchise return to the Nintendo console. I was hoping to see some major ports of some other games similar to Skyrim. I'm sure we will see more titles announced as time goes by, but it's disconcerting when you consider what the Wii U started with for third party support.

I'm seeing a solid number of blockbuster games for the Switch in its first year. Some of us have asked what Nintendo has been up to all this time, and I think we've seriously overlooked ARMS because it looks silly. I rolled my eyes and I most definitely ignored this title when it was revealed. I think Nintendo could have taken a different approach to revealing this game if they wanted us to recognize it as a potential new blockbuster IP.

The thing is that I had a similar reaction to Splatoon when it was first shown, but now we see almost everyone clamoring for Splatoon 2. Splatoon has become a new ace up Nintendo's sleeve, and we need more Splatoons, which could be ARMS. If that game can get a following/community under it then suddenly Nintendo has carved out a nice selection of new online games to go with Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. I think everyone sees the crazy-appeal of Smash and Mario Kart, but then I think you see another style of online play from games such as Splatoon and ARMS, which are also totally different from each other.

I will be interested to see what kind of online gaming support the Switch receives. I'm curious to see if the Switch will get more ports of action games where online co-op is a major component.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
People disregard ARMS because they're dumb. Well, more specifically, they disregard ARMS because they think it's a motion-exclusive game (it isn't) and because they aren't into 1v1 fighters. I can honestly say I wasn't much of a shooter fan, and I'm still not, but I love Splatoon. If ARMS has a similar single player campaign as Splatoon did, I could see it being well-worth the price of entry. I mean, I'm getting it no matter what, so I guess I don't count.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail, -X-. I appreciate the perspective, and you gave me something to think about!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2017, 01:13:17 AM »
The thing people need to remember is the average consumer doesn't buy a lot of games each year.  Hell, some studies even show the average consumer buys less then 5 games each year.  The Switch will launch with Zelda which will be a huge game to the mass audience and easily able to keep many satisfied at launch.  Then they release Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is another huge game that can tied them over as well.  I wouldn't be surprised if ARMS is their big May game which depending on the final version could be pretty big as well.

Yes without more third party support it limits the overall appeal of the system but overall, it's still a decent lineup and lightyears better then the Wii U's lineup.  Seriously, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey are all by themselves bigger then anything Nintendo released on the Wii U it's first year.  And before anyone says Zelda and Mario Kart are also on the Wii U, to the majority of the world that didn't buy a Wii U, that fact means ****.  That's kind of a big fact people seem to ignore, if somebodies last Nintendo system was the Wii or 3DS and they never bought a Wii U, the Switch lineup becomes even more appealing since it's filled with several big games from Nintendo that they have never played before.

In the West the 3DS in particular lived entirely off this kind of support with one major game from Nintendo every 1-3 month, since third party support from Western devs was non-existent and the major Japanese ones were pretty niche in the West as well.  So the Switch is far from the doomsday scenario that some are saying could happen unless Nintendo just forgets to market the thing these next few months.  Things could be better but it's hardly the worst and if Nintendo is willing to spend some money so people are seeing ads for Zelda shoved in their face every 5 seconds it could be huge.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Clonester11

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2017, 11:39:07 AM »
In regards to the first 6 months:

-The biggest gap was the lack of support from Western developers. They are barely dipping their toe in the water like the Wii U, perhaps even less so. If units don't move quick, third party support will be DOA.
-To be honest, I was expecting a big game from Retro.
-Why aren't 1,2 Switch and/or ARMS not bundled? The console would be far more competitive
-As for ARMS, it looks fun, but do I spend $80-$110 plus the game price so I can play it with my kids?
-If there is a bigger lineup of games on the way, why wait? Many have already made up their mind about the system
-Because of all these issues, the newspapers (in Canada) have printed indifferent or negative articles about the Switch... Not good.
-It's true that people will only play so many games in a year, but does the Switch games lineup honestly have anything more appealing to many people other than Nintendo fans?
-As many have mentioned, everything is too expensive to be competitive. They aren't in a position to do this!
-The Wii U had Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, LoZ, and even Rayman, FIFA and Madden in its first two years... How did that turn out?

Things I love:
-Everything about the hardware is very appealing. I love off TV play on the Wii U, and this is even better
-Good support for RPG's
-Zelda and Mario look incredible

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
Because of all these issues, the newspapers (in Canada) have printed indifferent or negative articles about the Switch... Not good.
Hey Clonester, can you link to some of those articles, or even just cite the publications in which they appear? I'd like to read them. Should be interesting!
Thanks.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Clonester11

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
And just to be clear, I understand the positive sentiments expressed here. But, like others, I've lived through every Nintendo generation. I am very nostalgic, especially towards the SNES. I've hoped for better the past few generations, but I'm weary of being let down. I thought the Switch could really turn it around for Nintendo + Nintendo gamers, it has a lot of potential! But for my previously stated reasons, it just feels like the Wii U all over again. I hope I am wrong, though.

Offline Clonester11

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Because of all these issues, the newspapers (in Canada) have printed indifferent or negative articles about the Switch... Not good.
Hey Clonester, can you link to some of those articles, or even just cite the publications in which they appear? I'd like to read them. Should be interesting!
Thanks.

Sure: There's the Globe and Mail "Nintendo Disappoints...", The Toronto Star "Wobbly start for Nintendo Switch", the Financial Post "Nintendo Switch: the good, the bad, and the pricey". Those are three of the biggest newspapers in Canada. Mobilesyrup.ca had a nice article on the Switch, but the reader comments generally were negative.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/technology/nintendo-disappoints-with-299-price-for-new-switch-console/article33614913/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

http://startouch.thestar.com/screens/c74e56a5-a76a-44fb-a018-163a074f6d2d%7C_0.html

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/fp-tech-desk/post-arcade/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/post-arcade/nintendo-switch-the-good-the-bad-and-the-pricey

Sorry if the links don't work properly, I'm trying to do this from my phone.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »
Thanks!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Those newspaper articles do not surprise me.  The Canadian price is ridiculously high.  The Switch is going to sell like garbage over here.  Drop in the bucket compared to the American market in Nintendo's eyes I guess.

The more and more I think about it the price is the big problem.  Knock that down to a reasonable level and the other issues seem pretty minor.