Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359707 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) March 3, 2017
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »
I am hoping that there will be dungeons, trust me. I would love that. But all rumors and no real official confirmation from Nintendo at this point (not sure if I can trust Treehouse streams) makes me wary.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
I love how Nintendo is willing to spoil even the most mundane of aspects for most of their video games yet we know so little about this game.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »
That excites me. I'll probably try to complete as much of this game as I possibly can before talking about it, so I'll likely vanish from this thread upon release, but I'm very eager to learn about this version of Hyrule and how all the mechanics of the game work.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
What I would like is to be able to go out exploring and find a shrine or whatever that is far beyond my current abilities, but work to get through it anyway.  This is similar to the "true" 3D Mario games, where creative platforming can allow navigation to almost anywhere on a stage in any order.  It is much more fulfilling to make choices like that than to have artificial difficulty levels (enemies take more hits, less health, etc.).

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
I am hoping that there will be dungeons, trust me. I would love that. But all rumors and no real official confirmation from Nintendo at this point (not sure if I can trust Treehouse streams) makes me wary.

I love how Nintendo is willing to spoil even the most mundane of aspects for most of their video games yet we know so little about this game.

I think the reason why they haven't shown any traditional full dungeons as well as haven't gone into to much details about villages and side quest is because they spoiled everything with Skyward Sword before release.  They literally showed every dungeon and every boss except the final fight with Demise during the final month before it's release.  Even some of the awesome late game content like the ancient sea was outright spoiled by Nintendo themselves in previews.

So I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more traditional Zelda content like real dungeons are mostly being kept secret because they really want to hammer in the exploration and spirit of discovery aspect of this massive open world game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
What I would like is to be able to go out exploring and find a shrine or whatever that is far beyond my current abilities, but work to get through it anyway.  This is similar to the "true" 3D Mario games, where creative platforming can allow navigation to almost anywhere on a stage in any order.  It is much more fulfilling to make choices like that than to have artificial difficulty levels (enemies take more hits, less health, etc.).
I like this idea in theory, and we've already seen that puzzles in shrines can be approached in a number of different ways thanks to the physics engine.

However, I like the idea of gathering materials and venturing into much more dangerous territory more. Much like Monster Hunter, I'd rather feel like the time I spent prepping for an encounter was well-spent. Ideally, Breath of the Wild will hit this and the puzzle-solving aspect equally.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:50 PM »
This is one of those conflicts in game design.  In a traditional RPG, you have the choice of running ahead and using a sophisticated strategy to stay alive, or to grind and buy lots of potions.  Either way is fine, as long as the player is having fun.  Something your post reminded me of is the tendency to put powerful weapons at the end of the game, or even as a post-game bonus.  At that point, it has little meaning because the game is over.  If there is something similar in BotW, I hope they drop the breadcrumbs early and allow a devoted player to track down everything needed from the start.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
Here, now everyone can finally stop worrying about no dungeons.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/02/07/march-2017-cover-reveal-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.aspx?utm_content=bufferb5ed6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Early impressions for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild showed an impressive and surprising new direction for the series, and our extended time with the game only cemented that opinion. We experienced more of the game than anyone outside of Nintendo, playing through a dungeon in its entirety, exploring the sprawling open world of Hyrule for hours, discovering Shrines, appreciating the wildlife, and fighting surprisingly powerful monsters (including the dungeon boss, Wind Blight Ganon, and a Guardian). We may have not lived through our battle with the Guardian, but we can tell you about it. Finally, we spoke extensively with longtime Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma as well as Zelda’s creator, Shigeru Miyamoto about Breath of the Wild and the larger Zelda franchise.

So yeah, if anyone wanted proof then there it is.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
Thanks for putting the name of a dungeon boss in bold for those worried about spoilers.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
Really? That's the kind of spoiler you're worried about and want to avoid?

That's like if I've never played Ocarina of Time and someone said I'll face Phantom Ganon, Volvagia, TwinRova, Morpha, Bongo Bongo, Barinade, King Dodongo and Gohma. Most boss names mean nothing. It tells me nothing about them or the strategy to beat them. In fact, the bosses are rarely mentioned by other characters or even in the dungeon they exist until you enter the boss room. Then the monster is given a name. Aside from maybe a slight idea what Phantom Ganon may look like, most of the names are vague or nonsensical and even with Phantom Ganon my imagination would probably be off from what actually exists.

Seems like a pretty mild and tame spoiler to be upset about. Not like he showed a picture or detailed when and where the fight happens and how it unfolds.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
While a mild spoiler, it does tell us that we will face a (likely spirit) version of Ganon early in the game, which would have been a nice thing to be surprised by.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
Ideally, I'd like to avoid all spoilers this close to the game being released. Spoilers spoil things by definition.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »
So yeah, having read through a bit of the game informer stuff, I'll try to keep this post as spoiler free as possible. I will discuss some mechanics that have been recently covered at the Switch demo event and within the article, however, so if you don't want to hear about those things...

Spoilers for mechanics regarding NPC mechanics and civilization beyond the Plateau to follow!

There's some really cool stuff at play here that just oozes detail and charm. You'll have access to more than one horse, but in a realistic fashion, they'll only be available to call when housed nearby or hanging out in your proximity. Taking care of them can actually increase their stats- something I though was particularly neat was that a horse might only have two "boosts" upon first taming it, and that, yes, eventually a horse can die in combat. Dogs can also be tamed, which means those who didn't pick up a wolf Amiibo might still be able to have a hunting partner!

All in all, the confirmation of dungeons and more options that encourage player choice is just making me more and more excited about this game. However, I'm going to stop reading impresssions and news from here on out- I know I'm getting the game, and I really do want it to be an experience I enjoy myself.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »
Ideally, I'd like to avoid all spoilers this close to the game being released. Spoilers spoil things by definition.

The closer to a games release is when more new info is usually released.  It was only a matter of time before Nintendo finally revealed what the real dungeons would be like since they had only shown the shines before now, and well, the boss of said dungeon is usually part of the hype process.

This is the kind of information Nintendo wants people to be talking about right now and if just the name of the boss is a big deal to some of you then you might want to go on blackout right now since it's only going to get worse.  We'll probably get some footage of this boss fight from Nintendo themselves in upcoming trailers and commercials if they have no problem with GameInformer talking about it right now, as well as probably a few other bosses.

While a mild spoiler, it does tell us that we will face a (likely spirit) version of Ganon early in the game, which would have been a nice thing to be surprised by.

We'll there is an actual picture of this boss out there and GameInformers description of it.  The name is not a spoiler since it really doesn't describe what the boss is like at all.  So anyone who thinks they've had something major spoiled by knowing the name of this boss really hasn't unless unless you're going to look up the photo's of it as well.

Seriously, this is what the actual boss is like.  I'll spoiler tag it and bump it down so it'll be easier for anyone that want's to quote my post to avoid since when post are quoted you can still see what's within the spoiler tags.

Warning, Spoilers

It's not Phantom Ganon or even a spirit at all.  It's a weird looking robot creature with an arm cannon that apparently shoots tornado's and spikes

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
The name of the boss is a mild spoiler in this case since it includes the name of an existing enemy which gives it some potential storyline context. Had it been "Wind Blight Demon" or something, I would have glossed over it as that has no real meaning to me.

I don't think it's that outlandish to request people use spoiler tags instead bolding a long-time villain's name. I appreciate you putting spoiler tags in the above post, and I deliberately didn't quote you to avoid them. Now that I know we're potentially treading into spoilery content, I'll probably bow out of this discussion for a while.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:45:33 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
Can we skip the water temple in this game?

He [Aonuma] didn't make the water dungeon, so we're fine.

That is great. <3 Miyamoto

Isn't it weird that he said Hyrule is on Earth but Link isn't human? Is he [Link] secretly a god/sacred chamber sage and he doesn't realize it?

Maybe that's why we all love M and A so much; they do interviews to have fun, not for serious canon talk. Do we really want Link Link inscribed in stone just because he was in a good mood one day?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:58:13 PM by Razzmatazz »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
Aonuma unboxing video. This has to be, without a doubt, the best Nintendo release of all time. With all the complaining that's gone on the last 15 years, I hope people praise their efforts so that they do more of this stuff in the future.

"Link's looking over his shoulder, almost like he's calling out to us."
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
    • View Profile
I can't decide if the sword in the Master edition looks cheap or nice, but I want it after watching that video.  It looks much bigger next to Aunuma than it did to Reggie.

It's been impossible to get, thankfully.  I don't need to spend more money on Zelda after all the Amiibo.  For those that missed it, Gamexplain did a video covering what they all do.  Nothing too interesting, but I particularly like the fancy Bokoblin clubs.  For some reason, I find the little gremlins adorable.  I can imagine them working really hard during arts and crafts at evil Summer camp making them.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Looks like Amazon is cancelling orders of the Masters Edition for many of those who pre-ordered.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Aonuma unboxing video. This has to be, without a doubt, the best Nintendo release of all time. With all the complaining that's gone on the last 15 years, I hope people praise their efforts so that they do more of this stuff in the future.

"Link's looking over his shoulder, almost like he's calling out to us."

Dude. Agreed.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
There have been very few games that I have felt as excited to play as Breath of the Wild, and I'm happy that I have seen very little gameplay of this title. While I'm not expecting much more than what I already know of the game (cooking, gathering weapons and equipment, climbing and gliding, and the runes we have seen so far), what I do know seems satisfying enough gameplay cycle to keep me engaged. The amount of interactive elements in Breath of the Wild are what makes me so excited.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
If you want more hype for this game, you may want to check out The A.V. Club's write-up on the first 5 hours. Going back to Stogi's discussion on the music for this game, their comments on the lonely piano tunes make me really excited to hear them all and seems to really help sell this desolation aspect. I wonder, though, if you will be able to start restoring / rebuilding up Hyrule as you play through game creating more lively music or have more instruments added as you breath life back into Hyrule.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
Graeber: The Paraglider saved my life more times than I can count. It’s incredibly useful to be able to stick to high ground and cross canyons and valleys teeming with monsters. The fact that you can avoid potentially lethal chokepoints by climbing up the side of a cliff is amazing and insanely useful when you’re in over your head in a dangerous area.

Otero: It’s so good. And it really plays into Breath of the Wild’s survival angle in a smart way.

from IGN

This is great. One of the downsides of every 3D game from OOT to Mario 64 all the way to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword was that the enemies were gimped and never posed a threat, the opposite of what the made these series great. Now Link is finally given a fair fight.

Legend of Zelda: Return of the Game Over Screen. Wilst thou fight? Or wilst thou die paraglidin'?