Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 85977 times)

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
You'll have a hard time convincing me that this whole backlash against Wii is anything more than a kneejerk reaction. How is this any different from the whole "Rev is d0000med" talk back when the Revmote Wiimote was first unveiled? Back then, anybody that said the controller was a good idea was deemed a "mindless fanboy" or an "apologist". Pretty much the same things are being said here.

You know, what if Nintendo ended up calling it the RS, like rumored? Surely, there's no way you can make fun of that name, right?

It certainly doesn't sound at all like the word "arse". Not even a little. And I'm sure there wouldn't be retarded "I'm going to play with my RS?", or "Want to play with my RS?", or "Gee, my RS sure is little", or "I bought a new wand for my RS" jokes.

No, this is the only name in the whole universe that invites immature comments.

As for my personal opinion on the name, I'm rather indifferent. My first reaction was "Why'd they give it a Chinese name?". I'd rather they call it the Rev, but it doesn't really matter. It certainly doesn't warrant this level of outrage. It's just a kinda weird name. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Even though I don't really care what it's called, if we're still getting stupid urine and penis jokes AFTER E3 then I hope Nintendo sticks with the name purely out of spite. Grow up.

(BTW, I'd really like to thank the mods for allowing, like, a dozen different threads all complaining about the name. Maybe somebody will actually think of a new penis joke in thread #13!)
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Starxxon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2006, 09:46:51 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
by the way, all this speak of nintendo comparing themselves to apple.....I FIGURED OUT THE LAST BIG SECRET OF Wii!!!

The Wii will become an iPod docking station via usb, from which you can d/l songs from iTunes on Wii Wi-Fi connection, and play them on your house speakers. Also you'll be able to d/l iPod original games on the next line of iPod that plays games using a scroll wheel, its GENIOUS!!! they alreayd made iPod with video, why not handle a simple game? when it happens, remember who called it!!!

Actually, you wouldn't be the first, I called a similar scenario sometime ago, though not here.  But I'm happy to see a second person having thought about it!

Iwata, when the Revolution was first unveiled, alluded to something that wouldn't be game related...But at the same time saying that Nintendo was to remain focused on games... So, what if some other company took care of all the non-game stuff?

They want to build a game store with a model similar to iTunes, but they don't have the expertise to build it in-house. Apple has it, they could provide the infrastructure, servers and front-end for the Wii store. And while they are at it, why not sell tunes and movies that can be played on the Wii or transfered to an iPod?

Apple is currently trying to find a way to reach living-rooms, so they can sell TV shows and movies directly on a TV. They cannot go with Sony, because they directly compete with them in many areas, including selling movies and music online. Same thing with Microsoft. Both Sony and MS hope to use their next-gen console to sell movies and music online, thus bypassing the iPod and iTunes phenomena.

If Apple released a Media-Center for the living-room like it's rumored, they would have to compete with the PS3 and XBox 360, which would probably sell for about the same price, but the PS3 and XBox would have tons more games. By making an alliance with Nintendo, they could enter the living-room media-center market, and have tons of cool games from none other than Nintendo! They wouldn't need to release their own machine, the Wii could provide all the functionality needed. iPod games from Nintendo wouldn't be so far behind...

The best argument that can be made for this scenario is that Nintendo and Apple are complementary. They don't directly compete, as Apple doesn't sell games or games system, and Nintendo doesn't want to start selling movies and music themselves on Wii.

Aside from the game store itself, Apple could also build the Wii interface, with part of it being similar to Front-Row.

By some coincidence Apple released, no so long after Nintendo, a small remote included with all intel Macs that's used to control the Front-Row media-center application. They tout the fact that it only has 6 buttons, which is not so far from the  simplistic Wii remote design. The Wii remote would be just perfect to control Front-Row, and the motion sensing could have the bonus of enabling variable speed scrolling in long lists.

A $200 TV setup box that has iTunes built-in, can download/stream music, TV shows and movies on a TV screen, that can officially dock an iPod, AND play the Nintendo game catalog, plus all new kinds of games like a next-generation Mario using an evolutionary 3d control device? This would sell like crazy...

I could go on an on about why it would make sense, and what clues can we find about it. But I don't want to look like a lunatic

Actually I stopped believing in my theory sometime ago, seeing I was the only one to see so much into it. Also when Apple announced the switch to intel, I began to think that it wouldn't make much sense since Wii is using a PowerPC. But... Apple has invested millions in producing code written for the PPC, they can't just throw it in the trash when the transition is over...

But here's why I'm starting to believe in this theory again...

Wii could (also) mean "we" as in "We, Nintendo and Apple"

Considering it would be a major alliance between a big Japanese and a big American company, my "WWII minus War = Wii" theory would also make sense...

Apple haters, prepare yourself mentally for when Nintendo drops the "Bomb" in a few days.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 30, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

I LURV Conker's Bad Fur Day. I absolutely love it. I was contemplating buying an XBox just if Rare made a sequel (which, obviously, didn't happen on either count). Does my appreciation of Conker's urine jokes, gore, and etc. mark me as immature?

yes.

Or do pee jokes have their proper place on the mature-conversation-topics pyramid, that tiny tiny "use sparingly" section up top along with the blonde and yo-mama jokes?

That isn't the top of the mature conversation topics pyramid. That's the 'immature' section of some something somethingsomething *yawn* You know what I'm trying to say.

I fail to see how Shakespeare's plays were any less masterpieces for his populism and pun-ditry. Would we deny Southpark's value as a cultural satire merely because it contains content that our puritan-police deem distasteful? And what is humor, even toilet humor, but merely another avenue for self-exploration and discovery? And testiing personal boundaries?

Besides, given that humans are the only creatures who are capable of laughter, or punning, or any such abstract irony, how can this be anything but elevating?

Wa-wa, on this point we shall have to disagree. I believe that humor is a valuable tool we have to explore an issue, and should not be ignored or poo-poo'ed.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2006, 10:06:37 PM »
Starxxon, interesting theories. Lots of conspiracy, little fact, lots of fun, lol!

Myself, I've been trying to ponder a future Apple-Nintendo alliance on the portable device market in which GB hardware would be micro-nized to the point where it could included at low cost to an iPod device... or similar such mobile electronics.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Starxxon

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2006, 11:22:56 PM »
Yeah, I know Kairon, I have nothing tangible to base my theory and it could very well not happen. But to me it would just be common sense.

What you are saying about the GB/iPod merging can also apply to Wii.

Wii will have all the electronics to play movies and music, and an Apple media-center would have the electronics to play games. Combining both makes sense since you can only do one of these at a time anyway.

Oh, and just another possible clue before I go to bed... What do you think the Broadway and HollyWood code names really mean?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2006, 12:42:48 AM »
Well with Nintendo stating that there is a big revelation for Wii at E3, this theory isn't that far fetched. It seems to me that they dismissed the motion control of the nunchuck attachment as something minor compared what they will reveil. So who knows?  If your theory proves to be true, that may be the killer blow to both Sony and MS.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2006, 01:49:30 AM »
Oh hey, guys, I just thought of a new one.

"Squeal like a pig, boy! Wii wiiiiii!"

So yeah, add that to the list.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2006, 02:31:23 AM »
Hey you know, in that sense We is in fact universal, and here we had all these naysayers saying that it held no meaning in some cultures . I may be wrong but pig talk is indeed universal!

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2006, 03:21:02 AM »
That'd be pretty huge Starxxon.
The companies are similar in so many way when you think about it.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2006, 07:31:53 AM »
wow...i was really just kidding when i brought up the Wii/iPod thing. only thing i had to go on was the frequent comparisons and the fact that Wii would have two USB ports, and how in another thread people were saying external hard drives (like mp3 players) could be used as a storage device. your theory is much better and is plausable then my 'guess'.
And to who ever asked the hollywood and broadway question, that only adds to this crazy theory.
looks like iGames could be the next big thing. maybe call it WiiGames? nah.

if this turned out to be true, Wii would be incredible. Rent movies, d/l tv shows, music and classic nintendo games. it could take the world by storm. personally i dont like the iPod brand because i dont like trends, and there are mp3 players out there with more features than the iPod, but its not like i completely despise it and wouldn't buy a Wii if they did partner with Apple for the d/l service. Sadly there would be people that would.

Oh and while im thinking of apple and nintendo comparisons, they both LOVE to milk their products for everything its worth. one of the reasons i bought the mp3 player i currently own over apple is that it has fm radio built in, with recording of fm radio built in. at the time there was a certain NYC 'shock jock' that was retiring from FM radio and i wanted to record every show i could. with the ipod i would actually have to buy a seperate peripheral just to listen to radio, and not even be able to record from it. doesnt that remind you of nintendo releasing peripherals to add something to a formula that could of very well been built into whatever it is we're talking about? i know im getting into Ian territory, but i could very well go on and on about nintendo realising peripherals for games that don't need them and we will only use once. sounds like apple with theiPod to me though.

For the sake of being compared to Ian, those really arent my feelings regarding to nintendo at all, i was simply pointing out that someone could argue that comparison while we start spreading rumours of a nintendo/apple partnership. (you know some poeple will take everything Starxxon said as fact)  
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2006, 07:45:43 AM »
I'd like to dedicate this next little number to all those out there, don't be shy now I know you're out there, who are afraid of how successful a brand can be with toiletry connotations.

*ahem*

Deep in the Hundred Acre Woods,
Where Christopher Robin plays,
There's an enchanted neighborhood,
Of Christophers childhood days.

A donkey names Eeyore is his friend,
And Kanga and little Roo,
Theres Rabbit and Pigglet,
Then theres Owl,
But most of Winnie The Pooh!

Winnie The Pooh!
Winnie The Pooh!
Tubby little tub all stuffed with fluff,
He's Winnie The Pooh!
Winnie The Pooh!
Lilly willy silly ol' bear!

Winnie The Pooh!
Winnie The Pooh!
Tubby little tub all stuffed with fluff,
Hes Winnie The Pooh!
Winnie The Pooh!
Lilly willy silly ol bear!

Courtesy of http://nintendo-wii.blogspot.com/

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2006, 08:40:16 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
There are some people that are against the values of, in this case, Apple, and what it stands for. When Nintendo associates themselves with Apple, then those people would think twice about Nintendo. They are potential Nintendo users, but with this association, they could be alienated. Same thing with Pepsi..

The only people who would care about such a faint relation are Nazis. What the hell do I care that any person at Nintendo uses an Apple computer? As long as Nintendo's game consoles remain the opposite of Apple's products (many and good games, low price, good performance) I don't care. Only if the Wii was like an Apple computer I'd abandon Nintendo in a heartbeat.

And hell, Apple has nothing meaningful to offer to Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't want or need a "home entertainment center", they make a console and Apple can't help them with that. If you want style over substance and media over games, go with Microsoft or Sony. If you want only games go with Nintendo.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »

Only if the Wii was like an Apple computer I'd abandon Nintendo in a heartbeat.
I don't mind the computer thing, and I probably shouldn't have used your quote in my last post. But I do mind when Nintendo gushes about Apple and says they want to emulate Apple. We know who Nintendo is and what they offer. However, many people will think that with the association, Nintendo products are indeed like Apple products. And this could turn people away who are biased against Apple, but had no strong feelings about Nintendo previously.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2006, 03:04:30 PM »
When I think of Apple I think of a high quality hardware platform... that is borderline useless because developers don't support it.  Actually that fits Nintendo really well.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2006, 04:56:46 AM »
I think of an OEM PC stuck inside a pretty case. Uh oh.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2006, 06:56:03 AM »
Ian: You're forgetting the outrageous prices.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2006, 08:53:36 AM »
when I think apple I think boring pastel colors and overuse of glossy white.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 02, 2006, 09:06:37 AM »
When I think of Apple I think of very, very good marketing. When I think of Nintendo I think of very, very bad marketing.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 02, 2006, 09:56:51 AM »
I don't know why people are still accusing Nintendo of poor marketing, they have improved tremendously for the DS (some of the commercials are great) and they are getting the name out despite the fact that it appears Sony is buying more space for their PSP.

Offline jm

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 02, 2006, 10:26:08 AM »
It's inevitable that eventually, justified or not, that what so many have come to know as the Revolution will become known as the weeny. Ironic isn't it.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #345 on: May 02, 2006, 09:19:31 PM »

Ironic isn't it.

Not really, no.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2006, 01:02:17 PM »
yeah, Alanis
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.