Author Topic: Wii Drawing Tablet On The Way  (Read 8969 times)

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Wii Drawing Tablet On The Way
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:38:59 AM »

THQ's uDraw GameTablet announced for Wii.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23876

THQ are releasing the uDraw GameTablet this holiday season, bundled with uDraw Studio  for a suggested retail price of $69.99. Europe and other territories will see a release in early 2011.

The drawing tablet is powered by the Wii Remote, and has a 4" x 6" drawing space and an included pressure sensitive stylus. The Wii Remote docks into the tablet. Features include "tilt-and-roll" options for controlling in-game characters through game levels. SD card support is included for saving artwork created with uDraw.

Two separately available titles, Pictionary and Dood's Big Adventure will launch with uDraw for $29.99 each.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
Re: Wii Drawing Tablet On The Way
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
Now all we need is Mario Paint Wii...

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
If the tablet responded to the car painting mode in Need for Speed Nitro I might have a practical use for it...
Mission...complete?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »
What took so long?   :confused;   Given the Wii's interface, this is something I would have expected to see 2 years ago.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »
You could buy an entry-level Wacom pad for that price. This is an overpriced toy.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
You could buy an entry-level Wacom pad for that price. This is an overpriced toy.
But it comes with a "game".

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
This is an overpriced toy.

Pretty sure that's the whole point, mate.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »

My Wacom came with two games: Photoshop Elements and Corel Illustrator 4.0.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:54 PM »
$70? I don't know. It does interest me, but I wish it was $60 (maybe if they had included Pictionary with it). I am glad someone finally came out with this.

Already mentioned, but I hope Nintendo uses this to finally make Mario Paint Wii.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
Of course, it's somewhat certain that Nintendo has their own designs for a tablet peripheral sitting around, and they are all somehow better than this one.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
I don't like the price, but I am intrigued. I'll keep my eye on this.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
A new "Mario Paint" maybe? :P
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline BlueFlameBat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
This seems like a great idea, but so did UbiSoft's camera for Wii. I hope they actually expand the use of the tablet and even share it with other developers.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:15:51 AM »
This seems kind of pointless, I don't really understand how it works...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »
Mop, have you ever used a tablet computer? That is what this sounds like, except you will also be able to tilt it for in-game actions.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Metrochic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 06:43:38 PM »
It doesn't come with a game.  There's only 2 games available for it so far and you have to buy them separately.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »
For the record, it comes with uDraw Studio. How much of a "real game" that is remains to be seen.

I'll actually be reviewing this (along with Pictionary and Dood's) for NWR (should be coming in the mail sometime this week). Look for impressions coming soon.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 12:17:19 AM »
It doesn't come with a game.  There's only 2 games available for it so far and you have to buy them separately.

As Karl said it comes with the "game" uDraw studio and then Pictionary & Dood's Big Adventure are sold separately .
I think Walmart or Target have a Black Friday deal where you can pick pick up all 3 with the tablet for $80 + tax.... or was it $100.

I'll have ot look it up again, but you basically got one game free and I think the other one at a discount too.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
Since this is a 3rd party peripheral it makes it less likely that Nintendo is going to back it (or anyone besides THQ for that matter). Still, that doesn't necessarily mean its not worth it for the game it comes with and the other 2 that will come out for it. But you can't expect this thing to really get a lot of further support than that.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
The deal I was talking about is @ TRU and it's not a Black Friday deal, it's a right now deal
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=udraw&origkw=udraw&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

Buy the uDraw Tablet bundle and buy either Pictionary and/or Dood's Big Adventure at the same time and get them for only $10 each.

Total for all 3 is $90 + tax ($40 savings)

Offline quincytippens

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 02:18:38 AM »
Na, its 99 for the tab and one game, it's only less if you buying another wii.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 02:37:19 AM »
Na, its 99 for the tab and one game, it's only less if you buying another wii.

Well, thats probably because I first mentioned that deal 2 days ago and it was only a weekend deal.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »
My hope is that Karl uses this Wii tablet for the same purpose I would: drawing erect phalli.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
Dumb question, but why doesn't some smart third party come along and create a Mario Paint/uDraw rip off that... *gasp* uses the DS connectivity/touch screen.  I can't imagine there's many people with a Wii without a DS... so it wouldn't require anyone to buy a $50+ item for a small handful of games.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »
Looks like uDraw is doing pretty damn well and no one is reporting on it.

Nov. 22nd 2010 - THQ's uDraw Sells Out
http://www.stockbriefings.com/thq-inc-nasdaqthqi-udraw-sells-out/3176493
THQ, s Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI)’S new Wii exclusive item uDraw Game Tablet has reached the top slot in sales.
THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) Udraw Sells Out

In America (Nov 14th), one new Wii exclusive item was launched last Sunday by THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI), and it is selling well. So well, in fact, that Udraw is presently sold out at Toys R Us and Wal-Mart.

Industry analyst Michael Pachter said “I think the market is reacting to a long-awaited hit, and their timing in front of holiday is really good… The only thing that will hold uDraw back is supply, as the company said it intends to make only 1 million or so this fiscal year. If it’s sold out, I’m sure they will find a way to increase manufacturing capacity.â€

THQ: uDraw Initial Sell-Through 'Very Significant'
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/31766/THQ_uDraw_Initial_SellThrough_Very_Significant.php
Following the launch of THQ's Wii-exclusive drawing peripheral uDraw, CEO Brain Farrell said the tablet controller is living up to commercial expectations with "very significant" initial sell-through.

The exec didn't provide specific sales figures, but THQ previously forecast shipments of 1.25 to 1.3 million units of uDraw through the end of the current fiscal year, ending March 2011.

"We are working diligently to try and [beat forecasts] based on very significant sell-through we've seen in the first two weeks," said Farrell at this week's Credit Suisse Group Technology Conference.